MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

fancyyyyy Rung Divisions: Rungler and Pulse Divider
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author fancyyyyy Rung Divisions: Rungler and Pulse Divider
jarcorbo

Pulse Divider & Rungler

Rung Divisions pairs a nonlinear feedback shift register* ("nlfsr" based on the core of Rob Hordijk's Benjolin) and a clock divider (CGS Pulse divider) in a small and tactile form factor.

Rung Divisions is designed to be an interactive coupling of linear (clock division) and nonlinear (nlfsr) methods for generating gates, triggers and cv - with means for the two to interfere with each other in interesting and surprising ways. The rungler receives its clock signal from the output of a gate bus, which itself fed from the pulse dividers.

It will take input from any signal that crosses 0.6V, and as both of the functions are fully analogue (solid state logic, no microcontrollers), they can run at any frequency up to 40kHz (there are lots of interesting tones that can be derived from a clock signal which is outside of conventional audio range).

​Rung Divisions has thirteen unique but related chaotic and linear outputs that are derived from the relationship between three input signals. The outputs come in the form of gates, triggers, variable width pulses and stepped signals. Use them to feed a whole patch with complex rhythms, trigger fills, and cv, or, run it at audio rates for a variety of sub oscillations, vocal tract styled pulses, stepped chiptune waveforms and clocked chaotic noise.

If you've ever used a benjolin you'll know that this kind of circuit really excels when moving between audio and sub audio rates, with sputters of chaotic rhythms and unpredictable patterns - now you can interface those behaviours with any other equipment or type of signal you can imagine.

Rungle everything: 1 bit analogue to digital converters on the clock and data inputs, both will take input from any signal that crosses 0.6V (including any of Rung Divisions' outputs).

10 toggle switches for quick, tactile manipulation of the signal path.

8 outputs from the clock divider, each is sent to an on/off toggle switch before being combined together at the bus output

The shift register receives its clock signal from the bus output, meaning the rate of change on the rungler cv outs can be decoupled from the period of the clocking signal.

The reset input (pulse, can accept any of the modules outputs) will reset all divider counts to zero, and interfere with the pattern generation of the rungler.

Two individual bit outputs (variable width gates), bit 6 and 8 of the rungler.

"Bit bus" output that converts the rising edges of bits 6, 7, and 8 of the rungler into triggers, and combines them together into a single stream.

Two dacs on board - each with a different encoding of the rungler cv: the first has bit 8 as the least significant bit, the second with bit 6 as the least significant bit (works well when driving different voices with the bit gate outputs).

Continuous loop control potentiometer to set the chance of new data entering the shift register (as a 16 step loop).

Toggle switch that can lock the shift register to an 8 step loop

Manual write switch which is independent of the loop setting, and can be used to manually input data to the shift register (When active the write switch will override any data coming in from the data input jack, and the data from the nonlinear feedback in the rungler core)

*A nonlinear feedback shift register is not really a "thing". But it's a useful concept to distinguish the rungler from a linear feedback shift register (often used as a pseudo random number generator). The output of a lfsr is a linear function of its input (often some XOR combination of the data in the register). This is not necessarily the case with the rungler; as there is some other signal interfering in the feedback path that may or may not be sufficient for nonlinearity.

https://www.fancysynthesis.net/
motorhead412
this is cool. more rungling is always a good thing!
hermbot
That looks really cool, I'd love to hear some examples.
windspirit
There are some pretty nice sounding examples if you go to the website, lots of tasty noise there.

Curious why the price is in Euros if you are based in Portland?

Also just double checking that you have permission from Rob Hordjik and Ken Stone to use their names on the panel?

Good luck with your first release!
clarte
windspirit wrote:
There are some pretty nice sounding examples if you go to the website, lots of tasty noise there.

Also just double checking that you have permission from Rob Hordjik and Ken Stone to use their names on the panel?

All modules are hand assembled in small batches in Manchester, UK.
jarcorbo
windspirit wrote:

I’m not affiliated with the makers of this module, just saw it on modulargrid and noticed there was no dedicated thread for it yet so I posted. It just looks like a fun and interesting module. I hope it’s ok to post it here.
brandonlogic
would love to see a video of this thing in action.

hope it comes to DIY!
autopoiesis
damn this looks nuts. always wanted to sync my Benjolin's rungler to an external clock
fancysynthesis
Thanks for the interest all!

This leaked out a bit soon, the modules are not shipping quite yet and the first batch is now all accounted for. I'm compiling a waiting list, but the lead times are likely to change.

The design has blessings and arrangements with both Rob and Ken, and I wouldn't have put their names on the panel without having their explicit interest in being there smile
Paranormal Patroler
Looking forward to seeing it in action. Personally I'm curious to see non-audio focused demos of it, whenever you have something available.
tnktni
Nice, looking forward to this being available again.
brandonlogic
any videos of this yet? excited about this one!
fancysynthesis
Production on these has started back up today, I'll be in touch with the first run on the waitlist in the next week or so.

No videos as of yet, I tried making one but it was shite. I'll have to leave that for someone with more expertise and patience!

Best I can do is phone videos on instagram, which I'll post in due course here: https://www.instagram.com/fancyyyyyyyy/
fancysynthesis
I'm working my way through the wait-list on these and the lead-times are getting more reasonable. As they should be arriving internationally imminently I've updated the web-page with a quick-start / calibration guide along with the manual: https://www.fancysynthesis.net/
williamjturkel
Just got mine and excited to get working with it. I've plugged it in to my Trogotronic case and all of the LEDs light up white. And stay that way. Nothing changes when I plug signals (audio or CV) into any or all of the three input jacks, flip any of the switches or rotate the pot from full CCW. Some of the outputs affect the pitch of an oscillator but there is no movement (so presumably each is outputting a fixed voltage). I've read the manual and the quick start guide, checked the power cable, and tried attaching the power to different sockets and bus boards in the case. The Trogotronic case has a ton of power and I am nowhere close to capacity.

Just in case it helps, I have used over 100 different modules in the case and never had any problems except one. I bought a brand new Epoch Modular Benjolin and it wouldn't work in the Trogotronic case at all... I had to return it.

Any help or suggestions gratefully received.
trip
[edit - see below]
fancysynthesis
Hi, I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues - that's very strange (but telling) that the benjolin didn't work on that power supply either.

This gives me a few ideas as to what it could be, but apologies I don't have any immediate solutions. I take it the rest of your modules work fine with rung divisions plugged in? I know it's a pain to do, but have you tried the power supply with just rung divisions (and something to clock it) plugged in? Or, when you had the benjolin, did you try it with just that plugged in? If that works, then at least we know it's a module incompatibility (or general lack of power) and not the power supply itself. If that does work, then add modules back one by one, turning your system on each time until you find the incompatibility.

In the mean time, I will write to trogotronics to see if we can figure out what the issue could be - my schematics are open, so it should be something we can work out. My best guess is something to do with the 9v regulation for the shift register on the benjolin and rung divisions, but why that wouldn't work on their power supply I don't know yet.

Did you have any dialogue with epoch about this issue?

If you wish to arrange a return, then email me and we can work it out. Also if you want to trouble-shoot in more detail then please email.
williamjturkel
Thank you for the very prompt reply, and for reaching out by email, too. The rest of the modules do work as expected with Rung Divisions plugged in. As far as I know, they are completely different than the modules that didn't work with the Epoch Modular Benjolin (I actually have two of the Trogotronic cases and I tried the Benjolin in the other one). At the time, I didn't suspect it was a power issue but after returning it I found a Youtube video showing the same behavior. One of the comments on the video says:

"Got an email from the company that makes them about the issue:

The benjolin runs off 9v regulators and this is apparently the cause of the issue. It depends on the power source/case, but in certain situations where negative and positive rails don’t power up at the exact same time, the regulators will lock up and the module won’t power up.
Sorry for the trouble.

In my Trogotronic Case it doesn't power but in the Mantis it powers."

So the 9v regulation sounds like it could be the issue. Today I will try powering it by itself with a 4MS Row Power 40 and report back.
shred
williamjturkel wrote:

So the 9v regulation sounds like it could be the issue. Today I will try powering it by itself with a 4MS Row Power 40 and report back.

Not sure if you mean trying the Benjolin with Row40 or the Rung Divisions, but if it's the former I feel compelled to mention I had issues with powering an Epoch Benjolin with Row40 power. I was well, WELL, under the power limits but they just did not like each other. Hoping you have better success!
fancysynthesis
Hmm that’s strange - I’ve had an epoch benjolin running on row power (30 & 40) for years without any issues. Maybe there are version differences at work there.
williamjturkel
OK... I tried my Rung Divisions with the Row Power 40 and it worked perfectly. I will follow up with Tristan by email. In the meantime, if anyone knows of a fix that would allow the Rung Divisions (and/or the Epoch Modular Benjolin) to be used with the Trogotronic case, I would be most interested.
fancysynthesis
Glad this found a resolution - I've been in touch with trogotronics and we're both keen to figure out what the incompatibility might be, it's good for no-one. Will report back when we solve it.
MATSmile
Can clock divider act as a sub octave generator when using an audio rate clock?
When using audio rate clock what Bit and rung outputs sound like ?
ookrsia
Did anyone get this? How is it?
fancysynthesis
Just adding a note that the issue with Trogotronics supplies is now fixed for all outgoing Rung Divisions.

As far as I know this only affected one person - but if anyone else is having issues, get in touch and I can sort it out for you.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3