MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Introducing - Switchblade by Acid Rain Technology
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Introducing - Switchblade by Acid Rain Technology
Xssory
Hello,

We are Ryan and Michael, a couple of wigglers from Seattle WA who are very excited to announce our first module!

Switchblade

Switchblade is a compact 3 channel switch and mixer. Each channel can be set to switch between or combine two channels of CV or audio with either latching or momentary operation. Each channel can be controlled with a trigger (latching) or gate (momentary) or their respective button during live performance. We designed this module to be a great companion for the trigger, gate, CV and audio sources in your rack.

Features:

- 3 channels
- 2 inputs per channel
- Button press or trigger/gate operated
- Long press changes channel mode from switch to mix
- Each channel can be set independently to switch or mix
- Long press on all buttons changes all channels to momentary operation
- All analog signal path
- Mixing is DC coupled and Unity Gain
- 4hp, 30mm deep
- Retail target $119

Here is a brief introductory video to give you an idea of what the module can do:

We designed this module because we wanted a really immediate and live way to switch between trigger streams for drum fill patterns and different modulation CV sources. We've been finding a lot of utility with the Switchblade in our racks and are having a ton of fun jamming with it - we hope you will too!

Right now we are in the final stages of production planning with our manufacturer, looking to have the module available in two or three months. We hope for sooner rather than later, but this is our first module and we would rather under promise on the date. In the mean time, we invite you to learn more about this module on our website and sign up to be the first to know when it is available. It would be super helpful to know how much interest there is as we would like to get one to everyone who wants one smile

Acid Rain Technology

Switchblade is on ModularGrid to add to your rack:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/other-unknown-switchblade

Please ask any questions you might have in this thread and we will do our best to answer!
moremagic
long press? even when in momentary mode where someone might want to hold it down for a breve or two?
it seems like a cool little module but personally, id rather use jumpers to change operating modes, so that i could ride the buttons hard and not have to worry about it changing operating modes

anyways, w2g on getting your first module together smile
myenik
Hey, I'm Michael, I've been working with Ryan on this module. I'm a long-time lurker but figured it's finally time to make an account to help answer questions about what we've been working on!

When in momentary mode the long press actually doesn't change between switching and mixing anymore, so you can hold it down forever and not have to worry about it changing something.

I admit that it feels a little contrived to have the restriction of not being able to change a channel between switching and mixing while in momentary mode, but it's never impacted the jammable-ness of the module for me.

Also it's still pretty easy for me to change the firmware since it hasn't been flashed to any units, so I'm open to tweaking it if anyone has better ideas!
starthief
Hmmm. Some compromises to get all that functinoality into 4HP and three buttons, but it does seem pretty useful.

One idea might be to normal the left side input jacks to +10V, so you can use the module to manually send gates/triggers, or as a flip-flop.

When it's in mix mode, does the trigger/gate do anything?
Xssory
Quote:
When it's in mix mode, does the trigger/gate do anything?

In mix mode the trigger mutes the channel output (same as button) and in momentary setting a gate high un-mutes the channel (same as button again)

Thanks for the input! Love hearing feedback on this guy from the community smile
Seaweed Sound
The module looks really handy so I'll probably buy this.. also cool logo and design aesthetics Guinness ftw!

Am I correct in thinking this can basically replace OR and AND logic gates:
OR = mix mode
AND = momentary mode, one input left unpatched, signals go to control input and remaining switch input

Also how fast can it be clocked.. could it generate a sub octave?
myenik
Thanks!

Mix mode is indeed an OR.

I actually hadn't thought about using momentary mode as an AND like that, nice idea! I just tested it out with two trigger streams on a prototype and it seems to work as expected.

The trigger input can be clocked pretty fast - well into the audio range but not nearly the whole thing. I don't have an exact theoretical number but I just tested it out with an oscilloscope and the module seems to keep up without missing any edges on the trigger/gate input up to about 1-1.2khz.
Nutritional Zero
The closest thing I found to this was ADDAC304 Manual Gates/ADDAC305 Manual Latches. They’ve got a lot more ins and outs but take up more space. This is an interesting combination of features in a small footprint.

It solves a real problem I’ve had since joining eurorack, in that I’ve found it hard to introduce secondary elements during performance while ensuring they’re in-time. (I don’t go for the fancy sequencers, which would solve this, but create a different set of issues for me anyway.)
Paranormal Patroler
Nutritional Zero wrote:
The closest thing I found to this was ADDAC304 Manual Gates/ADDAC305 Manual Latches. They’ve got a lot more ins and outs but take up more space. This is an interesting combination of features in a small footprint.

It solves a real problem I’ve had since joining eurorack, in that I’ve found it hard to introduce secondary elements during performance while ensuring they’re in-time. (I don’t go for the fancy sequencers, which would solve this, but create a different set of issues for me anyway.)

Hmm, the ADDAC 304 and 305 are also Gates which is how I use them. They don't offer mix options, so the 304 is usually perfect for firing stuff on time or off time. I allow my main reset, coming from a division of PW, to hit everything on time on my live setup.

For me the closest comparison would be with Uoki Toki's 4hp passive switch. That being said I absolutely love switches and I'm super happy to see yet another option available in Eurorack with such a nice feature set.

I'll end up grabbing one sooner or later!
Puscha
This is such a cool and useful module. It's just what's been missing from my case for performance!

Is it possible to subscribe for updates or put in pre-orders?

I would definitely buy one, would consider buying 3! Essential in any small case.
bemushroomed
Nice, love switches, being able to mix is very useful.
defenestration
this is a very smart design, something I've been wanting for a while, I'm not really aware of other choices for switches this small that are both manually and CV controllable
bemushroomed
defenestration wrote:
I'm not really aware of other choices for switches this small that are both manually and CV controllable

A-151 wink but you'd lose manual control i guess.
defenestration
bemushroomed wrote:
defenestration wrote:
I'm not really aware of other choices for switches this small that are both manually and CV controllable

yes, that is my point, and also A-151 is only 2 switches (also latching/momentary!)
bemushroomed
defenestration wrote:
bemushroomed wrote:
defenestration wrote:

yes, that is my point, and also A-151 is only 2 switches (also latching/momentary!)

It's 4 on A-151. A-150 is 2x2, two independent switches..

I have 2x A-150, one A-151, WMD SSM, still not enough sometimes lol
defenestration
bemushroomed wrote:
defenestration wrote:
bemushroomed wrote:
defenestration wrote:

It's 4 on A-151. A-150 is 2x2, two independent switches..

ohhh A-151 is not comparable, that's the sequential switch (which I have 3 btw)

A-150 is the comparable design to the switchblade and what I was discussing - I suppose the switchblade lacks the common i/o on the a-150 but that's not an important feature for me
Armstrb
This looks like a great little module. Love the fact that it combines manual and gated switches.

Quick question, does a trigger just switch in latch mode whereas a gate will hold the switch open in momentary mode?

I have a bunch of A-150s which I like, but wish they were trigger based like a sequential switch.

Nice work guys, looking forward to picking one or two of these up.
myenik
Thanks for the kind words! I'm really glad to hear other people are as excited as we are for the performance minded modules we're working on.

Quote:
Is it possible to subscribe for updates or put in pre-orders?

We decided not to take pre-orders for this module since we thankfully didn't need the capital to start production. You should be able to enter your email to receive an in stock notification on our website here:
https://acidraintechnology.com/products/switchblade

I was just planning on providing updates on this thread for anyone interested. The current status is that production has begun! We've arranged to have them made with a contract manufacturer, they'll be doing the SMT assembly and hand assembly, all the way through packaging them in stamped white boxes, so once we get the modules they'll be ready to start shipping immediately. I believe our manufacturer began sourcing the parts and making the PCBs last week, and we should be getting the panels from our panel manufacturer sometime in the next week or two. Once we hand over the panels, the modules will go through hand assembly, testing, and packaging and we'll receive them ready to ship!

I'm hoping we'll be done with the manufacturing in the next 4 weeks, but considering this is our first time doing something like this, and considering my track record for estimating timelines, I'd say availability in 6-8 weeks is more likely haha. I'll be sure to post updates here when I receive them if anyone is interested!

Quote:
Quick question, does a trigger just switch in latch mode whereas a gate will hold the switch open in momentary mode?

That sounds exactly right to me. In latch mode a trigger causes it to switch channels (on the rising edge). If you feed it a gate in latched mode the gate length doesn't matter, just the edge. In momentary mode however, a gate is equivalent to holding the button down, and the gate length controls how long the switch is held. The gate will either switch the output to channel B while high defaulting to channel A when low, or to a mix of signals when high defaulting to muted when low, depending on whether you have that channel configured to switch A/B or mix/mute.

Hopefully that explanation makes sense, I can promise that the module is simpler to use than I make it sound, I am not known for my clear explanations Dead Banana

Quote:
A-150 is the comparable design to the switchblade and what I was discussing

One difference that may be important to you is that the switchblade is not bi-directional - it can switch two inputs between one output, but it cannot operate in reverse and fan out one input into two outputs.

Another more minor difference is that I noticed on the A-150 page it talks about 1k protection resistors in the signal path that make it unsuitable for pitch CV without a buffer. The switchblade does not have these (the opamps we use are rated for continuous short to rails or ground) and we use all 0.1% tolerance resistors in the signal path. We did this hoping it would also be useful for pitch control CV! Even for applications as simple as using a mix channel as an adder, or transposing sequences. It is unfortunately not accurate to within 1mV, the errors I've seen on the few modules we've built by hand are around 5mV or less (which I think is about 6 cents in 1V/oct), so it's not perfect but hopefully still usable.

I'm happy to answer any more questions that you all have! We're also putting together a video with some cool example patches that we'll hopefully post here in the next week or two if you want to see it in action a little more.
Xssory

Here's a video of a few patches we put together featuring the Switchblade - turning FM on and off, modulating CV, switching between trigger patterns and more! This is fun!

This module ends up in most of our patches
Kinan
Very interesting module, will you ship to europe ?

I've been using my 8 channels sequential switch for such duties for ages but it was kind of a waste ... Was looking for somenting with 3 or 4 channels and it didn't seem to exist (exept the Addac one but with way too many channel for me and no way to change the mode)

Very useful tool that can serve many many purpose.

There is just one thing I'm not sure to understand: can you set each channel to a different mode ? Like having one latching switch, one momentary switch and one mute/mixer at the same time ?

Thanks and congratulaiton !
Kinan
starthief wrote:

One idea might be to normal the left side input jacks to +10V, so you can use the module to manually send gates/triggers, or as a flip-flop.

And I double that suggestion ... It would make the module even better !
Xssory
Quote:
Very interesting module, will you ship to europe ?

We should be able to take care of you no problem once the module is available - in the mean time feel free to submit your email on the product page to be notified as soon as we have them in stock

https://acidraintechnology.com/products/switchblade?variant=1389514598 0022

Quote:
There is just one thing I'm not sure to understand: can you set each channel to a different mode ? Like having one latching switch, one momentary switch and one mute/mixer at the same time ?

Latching and momentary apply to all three channels at once (changing modes by holding down all three buttons until all three LED's flash).

In either mode (latching/momentary) each individual channel can separately switch or mute/mix. Each individual channel is set to switch or mute/mix while in latching mode and this setting carries over to momentary (set by long press of an individual channel button while in latching mode. In momentary mode a long press of an individual channel button just activates the switch/mix signal on state as long as the button is pressed).

Quote:

We played with this idea at first, but were unsure about the possibility of 'accidentally' switching to a +10V DC signal if the user has not patched anything to de-normal. We wanted to focus on making this module very compact but usable in 4hp, and feel the feature list is pretty full at the moment.
dubonaire
I don't think you need to change this module at all. Not every module needs to be a swiss army knife. It's an excellent solution.
sempervirent
Welcome to the crazy world of module manufacturing. Nice layout and concept, I would probably get one when they are available.
ElwoodHernandez
up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2