MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

2hp Euclid
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author 2hp Euclid
Foghorn
Looking for info/demos of the 2hp Euclid.
I think I know what it does, sort of.
.
Well, I actually bought one.
.
However I think it can do way more than I know.
And, there are no demos, no threads etc.
I have been searching inside threads, just searching the internet.
Not much info.

So, anyone have this?
How do you use it?

Foghorn

I thought of putting this in the big 2hp thread, but feel it will be lost, and in searching I see most 2hp modules have their own thread.
shoottofill
Foghorn wrote:
Looking for info/demos of the 2hp Euclid.
I think I know what it does, sort of.
.
Well, I actually bought one.
.
However I think it can do way more than I know.
And, there are no demos, no threads etc.
I have been searching inside threads, just searching the internet.
Not much info.

So, anyone have this?
How do you use it?

Foghorn

I thought of putting this in the big 2hp thread, but feel it will be lost, and in searching I see most 2hp modules have their own thread.




There may not be any 2hp euclid videos, but there are a couple of videos on other euclidean modules. Like the dual euclidean on the disting and the videos on vpme.de - Euclidean Circles. they give good examples where to use euclidean rhythms in a system.
While both of those modules have more features than the 2hp one, it will give you ideas on how to use it.
cptnal
Seen this...



Not 2hp specific, but it put the concept in a nutshell for me. thumbs up
Foghorn
Ok, I sort of knew all of that, but good video.
Thank you.
Maybe I am giving it triggers way too fast for the length settings and number of steps set on it.
I am not giving it CV yet, just a trigger.
I just couldn't understand what it was trying to do.


I will have to wiggle some more.

Foghorn
bedhed3000
Have you seen the video on the product page?
http://vimeo.com/240173486

I think you might want to start by feeding a straight clock into the trigger input, then play with the length, steps, and offset to generate a sequence that you like. This is how I've used the disting's euclidean sequencer in the past.
Foghorn
bedhed3000 wrote:
Have you seen the video on the product page?
http://vimeo.com/240173486

I think you might want to start by feeding a straight clock into the trigger input, then play with the length, steps, and offset to generate a sequence that you like. This is how I've used the disting's euclidean sequencer in the past.

.
By straight clock, do you mean a 50% duty cycle square wave?
I have been feeding it 1mS, 5 volt triggers. (Grids)

Hmmn..

Foghorn

EDIT: well I learn something everyday.

I am feeding Grids clock input with Tempi.
Grids clock out "mirrors the clock input"
Tempi's output "Pulse Width of the Variable Clock OUTputs is always 50% Duty Cycle"
Grids clock out is one of the accent outputs (repurposed)
I just assumed that the clock had the same output as an accent channel, which is a 5V, 1 mS long trigger

So, I am feeding Euclid with a 50% duty cycle clock.
pieter
Straight as in Regular; I suspect the duty cycle doesn't matter. All the other inputs require CV in, not gates or triggers.
bedhed3000
Foghorn wrote:
bedhed3000 wrote:
Have you seen the video on the product page?
http://vimeo.com/240173486

I think you might want to start by feeding a straight clock into the trigger input, then play with the length, steps, and offset to generate a sequence that you like. This is how I've used the disting's euclidean sequencer in the past.

.
By straight clock, do you mean a 50% duty cycle square wave?
I have been feeding it 1mS, 5 volt triggers. (Grids)

Hmmn..

Foghorn


Yes, as pieter said, just a regular tempo - as opposed to an irregular pattern. No specific reason not to feed it an irregular pattern, but I was suggesting starting out like that until you get a feel for how the module behaves.
acidbob
Can anyone explain to me how the offset works?
BRNDSCHTZN
There's also this demo video by DivKid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5o1nmGJ8Mg
aphantomvaper
I have This module also, and love it once I learned what a Euclidean rhythms were.
From Wikipedia: The Euclidean rhythm in music was discovered by Godfried Toussaint in 2004 and is described in a 2005 paper "The Euclidean Algorithm Generates Traditional Musical Rhythms".[1] The greatest common divisor of two numbers is used rhythmically giving the number of beats and silences, generating almost all of the most important World Music rhythms,[2] (except Indian).[3] The beats in the resulting rhythms are as equidistant as possible; the same results can be obtained from the Bresenham algorithm.

This PDF from McGill University also helped greatly with understanding the concept.

http://cgm.cs.mcgill.ca/~godfried/publications/banff.pdf
Foghorn
.
To follow up on this, Euclid likes gates more than triggers.
I was trying to use the 3 trigger outputs from Grids (1 mS ~5V Triggers) and had some trouble using them.
When I switched to Grids clock out (50% duty cycle) then Euclid started to shine.
I managed to get Grids to wobble(?) and respond to a not quite regular beat.
Well, almost regular, but not quite.
Euclid seems to track with that.
This module can add some pazazz (syncopation) to the mix as well as the standard Euclidian stuff.

But, too much wobble in the mix or too short of a trigger and it seems to shut down.
Maybe that is another way to add to the mix.

Also, maybe Grids trigger outputs are too irregular.

Foghorn
shoottofill
Foghorn wrote:
.
To follow up on this, Euclid likes gates more than triggers.
I was trying to use the 3 trigger outputs from Grids (1 mS ~5V Triggers) and had some trouble using them.
When I switched to Grids clock out (50% duty cycle) then Euclid started to shine.
I managed to get Grids to wobble(?) and respond to a not quite regular beat.
Well, almost regular, but not quite.
Euclid seems to track with that.
This module can add some pazazz (syncopation) to the mix as well as the standard Euclidian stuff.

But, too much wobble in the mix or too short of a trigger and it seems to shut down.
Maybe that is another way to add to the mix.

Also, maybe Grids trigger outputs are too irregular.

Foghorn


That's interesting as the manual says triggers or gates. I personally have only thrown gates into it. I haven't messed around with any of the controls or CV once it gets going, but it sounds like you got some interesting patterns with it
LTodd
acidbob wrote:
Can anyone explain to me how the offset works?


It shifts the pattern forward. For example, you have a pattern length of 8 with 4 steps. It would look like this (x's are hits, 0's are rests):

x0x0x0x0

The first value on the offset knob would shift the pattern to:

0x0x0x0x
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group