MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ACCEPTING ORDERS: 18-channel DIY Stereo Analog Vocoder
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author ACCEPTING ORDERS: 18-channel DIY Stereo Analog Vocoder
tobb
glubsch wrote:
paterursus wrote:
From the pictures I've seen, you can see them only when the knobs are removed.

paterursus, thanks for pointing this out.

Tobb, just look at my web page where I've posted two pictures at a fairly steep angle and rejudge.

well the steep angle is the 'problem',i see the cavity and the nut sitting there,no miracles..you can't hide the nuts properly with this assembly,that's is why i wrote that its a bad idea,because you still can see them.

+ the cavity will be just a dust/dirt collector over time...!

Its not big problem until the day a guy need to change a potmeter because its crashing and have no access to the nut.

keep in mint other scenarios,like built vocoders sold,then the new owner has a problem and send it for service...

BTW,your diy proposal is with Davies knobs ,but builders will use all kind of knobs,if using metal alu knobs available at Banzai effects & Smallbear ,those are less fluted then the Davies and you will see more easy the cavity+nut.

Rogan knobs are an alternative for the Davies and might cover completely cavity,your vocoder will also look 50% nicer..try!
LektroiD
glubsch wrote:
LedtroiD, I have a series of the T18 shown in your picture on the right in mono.

Yes, I do too, thousands of them.

Your question wasn't about mono, you asked about stereo which could be soldered to a PCB, so I showed you the basic stereo pots I have which can both be soldered to a PCB. I also have centre tapped stereo which are PCB mounted, but I doubt these are applicable, so I didn't photograph them. Neither did I photograph my stock of mono pots, because you only asked about stereo pots which can be soldered to a PCB. Now you're asking about mono ones too?

glubsch wrote:
However, if you do have T18's that are available in stereo, that can be soldered directly into the PCBs, and that line up well with the 6.35 mm and 3.5 mm plugs, please tell me about them and I'll seriously consider them.
LektroiD
It appears the general consensus here is not to have the cavity/recess on the pots. Maybe this project could be offered also as PCB only, that way we can design and fabricate our own panels to suit.
glubsch
I assumed that the mono pots are from the same series. Even if they are not, The stereo pots need to line up with the other pots and the jacks.
glubsch
LektroiD wrote:
It appears the general consensus here is not to have the cavity/recess on the pots. Maybe this project could be offered also as PCB only, that way we can design and fabricate our own panels to suit.

To allow a discounted pre-run I plan to stick to the following bundle: PCBs + panel (recessed pots) + custom socket.

There are a number of reasons that I prefer to do it that way and it sums up to simplicity and manageability. Things may change after the pre-run, but I'd be really happy if you decided to be part of the first 12 wigglers building this vocoder.
LektroiD
glubsch wrote:
LektroiD wrote:

To allow a discounted pre-run I plan to stick to the following bundle: PCBs + panel (recessed pots) + custom socket.

There are a number of reasons that I prefer to do it that way and it sums up to simplicity and manageability. Things may change after the pre-run, but I'd be really happy if you decided to be part of the first 12 wigglers building this vocoder.

Count me in for one of the first 12, price dependent of course... Do you have a rough figure in mind? If you don't want to discuss prices at the moment, feel free to PM me...
glubsch
I've just updated the BOM to include the 3U 19" enclosure that fits with the PCBs for the 18 channel filters and the front panel.
dingebre
LektroiD wrote:
I think that any "consensus" is only asking to be broken hyper, I love the recessed pots.

David
paterursus
LektroiD wrote:

I think the consensus is mixed at best. There's been support on both sides, pretty evenly.
acgenerator
glubsch wrote:

I'm also interested but need a rough idea of the price of the bundle +whatever the BOm adds up to.
GryphonP3
I am completely in for pcb/panel/case even though I was supposed to stop building anything for myself to finish music
glubsch
acgenerator wrote:
glubsch wrote:

I'm also interested but need a rough idea of the price of the bundle +whatever the BOm adds up to.

For the bundle price, please give me another couple of weeks while I am sorting out things. Regarding the BOM, have you had a chance to take a look at the spreadsheet? That should give you a good indicator.
glubsch
GryphonP3 wrote:
I am completely in for pcb/panel/case even though I was supposed to stop building anything for myself to finish music

OK, I am not sure whether I should feel guilty because I am distracting you from your creativity but you probably have a couple more months to focus on your music because first I have to announce the conditions and the pricing, a dozen wigglers will have to sign up and do a prepayment, after which I will have to order the PCBs and the front panel, and then I'll have to ship everything out.
nanners
luchog
This definitely sounds like a project I would be interested in. Love the sound of it. No strong opinion either way on the recessed pots.

Would love to be able to pick up one of the first 12 bundles, but not sure how much time I'll have to put it together, so I may need to wait until the production run.
skot_e
This looks like many hours of build time... eek!
A project and a half applause
spotta
I need to register my interest for this, I’ve built the L-1 vocoder in the past but sold it when offered big money when my credit card needed sorting seriously, i just don't get it

Money is still tight as the kids keep growing but if I have some when the project is a go then it’s yours.
yan6
I'm in as well, although I had previously identified that via email.
glubsch
yan6
Love your techno beats and electronic music, particularly considering it's all analog. Just listened to your various techno music and JaMMy's Reset Rotation while working on the construction manual.
yan6
oops wow thanks man, I cant wait to add you piece of gear to my workflow thumbs up
paterursus
Hey glubsch, the resistors in the BOM appear to be around 3.5mm in length. Can you confirm that is what is needed? Is 1/8W ok where 1/4W is not specified? Thanks!
glubsch
paterursus wrote:
Hey glubsch, the resistors in the BOM appear to be around 3.5mm in length. Can you confirm that is what is needed? Is 1/8W ok where 1/4W is not specified? Thanks!

Take a look at the PDF shown in the first post, page 2, the section about resistors: yes, the intent is to use ~3.1 mm resistors for ease of assembly (size 0204). You will likely find most of the E48 resistors for the 18 filter channel boards only in size 0207 (~6.3 mm). In the PDF it also says 125 mW (1/8 W) unless noted otherwise.
paterursus
That's how I had read the BOM - thanks for clearing it up. By the way, count me in for the first 12 run.
yan6
https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=6014 5dfc0f

I made this this afternoon, there are probably a few errors and I didn't find alternates to the backordered items. There were only a few and shouldn't be too challenging. Also note that the following items are not in the cart:

LM3916
MC33079
MIC29300-12WT
2k Tempco
Pots
IC Sockets
Jacks
Board connectors
Or any of the Misc. labeled items

Also note that you could cut costs a bit by removing items that could be found a Tayda. Such as common IC's, Caps and common values of the 1/4w resistors.

Hopefully this help someone out Dead Banana
glubsch
yan6, thanks a lot for spending the time preparing this Mouser basket. This is really cool.
  • I've ordered 10 of the LM3916 from a sell in Hongkong on ebay and have yet to receive them. They were sent on August 17 but I have no tracking number, so I don't really know when they will arrive. If it turns out they work well, I will order enough for the discounted run.
  • MC33079: Mouser still has more than 2000 in stock (here). There are also about 600 available at Digikey (here). Farnell in Europe seems to have them on backorder with shown availability beginning of October. Rochester Electronics has more than 16k.
  • The MIC29300-12WT is available at Digikey here.
  • The pots are available from Smallbear in the U.S (mono version here, stereo version here). You can also get the mono pots from Erthenvar (here). In the EU you can get the mono pots from Thonk (here) and the stereo pots from banzaimusic (here).
  • The 2kΩ tempco is available at Thonk (here). I found one source in the US, ModularAddict (here).
  • In the US, the CL13845G jacks are available at Newark (here). If you don't need gold-plated contacts, you can buy the alternative CL1384.
  • Do you want to add the board connectors to the Mouser basket? They are readily available: 16-pin header, 4-pin header and the 16-pin wire-to-board connector.
glubsch
UPDATE: I just went through yan6's Mouser project, compared it against the BOM, made a couple of minor updates and additions. This list now covers all IC's (except the LM3916), transistors, diodes, LEDs, all capacitors and resistors (except the tempcos) and the trimmers. Thanks again, yan6, for doing the groundwork.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 5 of 7