MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ACCEPTING ORDERS: 18-channel DIY Stereo Analog Vocoder
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 [all]
Author ACCEPTING ORDERS: 18-channel DIY Stereo Analog Vocoder
glubsch
Thanks for your comments.

Regarding the build time, I was hoping to gather that sort of information from the first builders so I can add this information to the assembly guide.

I can build the 18 channels on a weekend. But that's solid work of 8...10 hours per day. I've actually done it and felt a bit dizzy after having done nothing much else so I can't advise anyone on doing the same. nuts

You should also keep in mind that I know my design well. Soldering the 18 boards can be parallelized as most components are identical among the 18 boards (I've done it in chunks of six). I'd say a single board takes about 1.5...2.5 hours of soldering and preparing the peripherals (jacks and pots) for panel mounting. That also includes the calibration. When you calibrate the first board, maybe it takes a little bit of time, but you soon get a hang of it and I'd say a single channel filter board can be calibrated in 5...10 minutes.

The other boards take more time but I'd say it takes a solid 1 to 2 weeks total for a complete vocoder build.
glubsch

Today I've received front panels from fellow wiggler Julian. He and I are working together on providing you with the various panel options as indicated in the bundle request form.

For a larger picture of the panels, click here.

The black panel shows the option without recesses. The silver is with the recesses for sunk pots. What do you guys and gals think?
luchog
glubsch wrote:
The black panel shows the option without recesses. The silver is with the recesses for sunk pots. What do you guys and gals think?

My personal preference is for the black, non-recessed.
glubsch
I've just updated the assembly guide. It now contains photos of all the boards to be assembled.

Assembly Guide (sneak peek).
Dr Gris
I've always wanted a vocoder.
Unfortunately this is too advanced for me but I'm following this with interest.
I'm very impressed with your documentation thumbs up

//M
glubsch
Hi Dr Gris, thanks for your comment about the documentation. Once this project has taken off, I am going to work on a mono version with many features taken off but with the same level of vocoder audio quality (apart from the lowest and the highest channels removed). It would be great to have you on board.
Dr Gris
I'm very impressed with this whole project!
A simpler mono version in the future sounds very interesting thumbs up

//M
glubsch
Another assembly guide update (sneak peek).
latigid on
I was lucky enough to be in Munich and caught a live demo at Musikhaus Hieber Lindberg. I think we all found the sound to be really clean, even without compander circuitry. The filter boards look quite simple to assemble, the wiring will take some work.

I think I have enough on my plate at the moment, but I wish all builders success!
glubsch
latigid on wrote:
I was lucky enough to be in Munich and caught a live demo at Musikhaus Hieber Lindberg. I think we all found the sound to be really clean, even without compander circuitry. The filter boards look quite simple to assemble, the wiring will take some work.

I think I have enough on my plate at the moment, but I wish all builders success!

Thanks for your comments. This was a great day today at Hieber Lindberg. You guys were actually the first to get your hands on the vocoder and I am very happy about all the positive feedback.
glubsch
The interconnects among the boards are based on JST sockets and connectors (see the BOM and the assembly guide for more details). I don't plan to change the PCBs but if wigglers prefer to use their trusty MTA-100 system, here's what it would look like (the sockets are not soldered in this pic):

julian
Unless its essential, i always wire direct - its quicker, cheaper, and less prone to failure. That's just my opinion, and what i do with my own work though! : )

Obviously sometimes its not possible though.
samplebias2
Dr Gris wrote:
I'm very impressed with this whole project!
A simpler mono version in the future sounds very interesting thumbs up

//M

I agree, a simpler mono version without internal oscillators would be a simple streamlined version. Is there anyone here that doesn't have a synth ready to be used as an external carrier? Nobody i bet!
julian
Testing...

glubsch
The Vocoder Assembly Guide is virtually done! nanners

The only part that's missing is bolting the power supply onto the back panel and attaching the back panel to the vocoder enclosure.
glubsch
Fellow wigglers,

I am now ready to accept orders. If you are interested in this project, please first familiarize yourself with the documents shown in the first post of this thread (Assembly Guide, BOM, Bundle Request Form), then fill out the Bundle Request Form and send it to my email address. You can find my email address at vocoder.hoerold.com near the end of the web page.

Note: the bundle I am offering is not the whole kit. You will still have to order parts from your trusted distributor. There's a basket at Mouser that requires some updating. I am planning to separate out the DC/DC converter based power supply.

I will accept orders until the first 12 candidates have signed up. As is customary at muffwiggler's, I will post the candidates' aliases on the first post.

Once the list is full, I will accept payments. After all payments are made, I will order the parts and PCBs as requested per the Bundle Request Forms sent to me.
ultravox
Wow, I don't know how I missed this! I'm in for 1 kit!
glubsch

1. synthcube
2. ultravox
ultravox
glubsch wrote:
Below is the updated front panel design based on dingebre's FPD template.

I still need some help though. The screw holes are placed for the panel to fit the Slim Line 3U Case. They have a center-to-center spacing of 105 mm. The handles that are supposed to fit are available here. Can someone tell me how they are supposed to be attached to the front panel? Are they supposed to sit over top of the holes meant for the panel to be screwed onto the enclosure? hmmm..... help

Hey glubsch, did you get this worked out? I'm hoping the rack ears are in the design.
glubsch
Hi ultravox, yes, this was worked out a while ago. Check out the second post on this page with the first prototypes from fellow member julian. Only 5 posts up from your last post, you can actually see an updated version with optimized lettering and separators in a different color. Which one is your preference?
ultravox
glubsch wrote:
Hi ultravox, yes, this was worked out a while ago. Check out the second post on this page with the first prototypes from fellow member julian. Only 5 posts up from your last post, you can actually see an updated version with optimized lettering and separators in a different color. Which one is your preference?

Geez, I must have been blind! I prefer the whiteface with no recess.
TimAsprin
I would like to order everything that's on offer please.
Thanks, if I'm not too late.
Just read the whole post, will go back to the brochure...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 [all]
Page 7 of 7