MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Next oscillator.... what's more flexible?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Next oscillator.... what's more flexible?
helix
Hey guys n girls. (wonder how many ladies are here!?)

Currently i only have two doepfer a110's. They sound nice of course, but are a little limited tonally with my current setup.

I was thinking of getting something a little more flexible and capable of a wide range of tones. What i'm aiming for with my modular is sequences which have lots of variance in them, not notes, but FM sounds, slighlty dissonant tones stepping with each note. That kind of thing.

I like the look of plaits, make noise DPO, and the sputnik dual osc. Any other similar things capable of wide range of tones that you recommend? Watched lots of videos but finding it tough to choose...

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/705280

Thats m current setup... i know i need more VCA's don't worry i'll have a Veils or similar by the end of the week, and a Batumi soon too, and i'll probably get rid of the A145
helix
Or even a cloud terrarium.... oh god
Jumbuktu
Depends on your budget, among other things. The doepfer oscillators are not bad, but they lack linear FM and hard sync. You could extend your possibilities by exchanging one of them for a A-111 or an intellijel Dixie 2+, and add a waveshaper and a modulation VCA if you don't already have one. The doepfer through-zero VCO is also a great option.

Of course, if you have the budget, just go out and buy one of the big complex oscillators like you were considering. Be aware that some may not be readily available though (Sputnik?).

My personal experience is that for general sequencing the basic analogue waveforms work best, with a bit of light variation via FM or wavefolding. I love my E352 but it works best for complex drones and washes IMO. You can restrict it to simple waveforms of course but that seems like wasting all those glorious options.
void23
Klavis Twin Wave? Best VCO value in Euro ...
Jumbuktu
void23 wrote:

I believe there are some on eBay right now ....

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=204661&start=all
debolish
Have a look at the Shapeshifter while you're at it.
Pighood
void23 wrote:

fap fap fap...
ba1
Plaits is amazing and it includes a digital LPG (which actually sounds fantastic!) to help with your lack of VCAs...

I love the Verbos Complex Osc over either of the Sputnik VCOs, even over the DPO. The DPO is functionally more flexible, but the Complex Osc sounds better to my ears.

People like the Furthurrrr Generator, but I haven't tried one yet.

Not out yet, but check out the videos of the Xaoc Devices - Odessa! It's on my wish list!
lisa
Plaits is great value for someone looking to get several, very diverse, timbres by a simple push of a button. Plaits has a frill sound. If you want something similar but dirtier of the bat then check out Erica Pico Voice. Being cheap and tiny speaks for it too.
gringostar
If you want to keep things analog the lifeforms primary oscilator sounds amazing.
motorhead412
The Dixie II+ has two FM ins and one of them can switch between linear and exponential.
Randy
If you're up to building your own:

http://www.tindie.com/products/pmfoundations/6080-vco-eurorack-pcb-set  /

Disclosure alert - I helped with the design of this (well, barely helped) and did a demo video.
cptnal
If you want a shit-ton of sounds and you want them NOW then yeah, Plaits is probably the way to go.

On the other hand if, like me, you like to get your hands dirty and try to use as many patch cables as possible creating this stuff from scratch, there's a whole load of fun to be had with a couple of vanilla VCOs (although maybe not as vanilla as the A110s - see comments above about FM inputs) and some VCAs. If one of your VCOs does through-zero FM, so much the better. Add a wave folder and low pass gate for instant Buchla tones. w00t

If you are interested in that approach, the Make Noise YouTube channel has some useful stuff, particularly the "Timbre farming" and Allen Strange series.

Note that with this kind of setup you'll have what most compex oscillators do. They just have some of the connections pre-wired for you.
helix
Thanks all for your responses.

I don't think i will go for the braids in the end. It looks great, but i think it's moving away from the reason i wanted a modular in the first place.

Patching is fun! Maybe i'll add one in the next case... but for now i'd prefer to work for my sounds! I've got plenty of Virus TI's and JP's and Dave smiths not to mention all the VST's if i want to make something quick and easy!

Thanks again
Dogma
PDO - for so so so so many reasons
pricklyrobot
You also might consider the FM Aid, to expand the palette of the A-110s.
Parnelli
What, no honorable mention for Rubicon? I was quite content with my other oscillators until I picked one up recently, it's a very cool oscillator and all analog!
j259
Based on your description of qualities like beating and variable FM tones, I would definitely go analog complex osc or the similar Rubicon 2 plus Dixie II or II+, not E352 or Plaits, that have other strengths.

Verbos has a beautiful earthy tone, but note the FM with mod OSC is exponential. Convenient linear FM requires an external oscillator. That said, if you set the mod. index at the right spot, the carrier will still stay in tune while switching from AM to FM and back.

The Furthrrrr has the widest palette from fuzzy to glassy and lots of outputs, ext. input option for modulator to all parameters on the carrier (the center switches and the wavefolding section) can do linear or exponential, or through zero with the digital core option. Yet it's definitely on the warmer side of the spectrum in terms of highs and low mids.

The Rubicon is particularly strong in metallic and more pure FM sounds, as well as filter sweep like sounds and specialty in through zero tones. To me it has a sort of science fiction almost alien tone.

The DPO has the most thump, with a tighter but heavy bass, and is more manic in character than the Verbos or Furthrrrr.

All are great, so just pick which one you like the basic sound of best.
Sync
j259 wrote:
Based on your description of qualities like beating and variable FM tones, I would definitely go analog complex osc or the similar Rubicon 2 plus Dixie II or II+, not E352 or Plaits, that have other strengths.

I've heard that analog VCOs can have tracking problems when doing FM vs digital VCOs. Might be something to keep in mind. Though frankly, I haven't done any extensive testing with tracking with digital VCOs either, though they'd be less likely to drift over time, that may not mean two differently designed digital VCOs would track perfectly out of the box...

In fact, I'm thinking I should do some tests with my E352 and Plaits and see how they fare. There could be calibration adjustments needed I suppose, where they're available...
j259
Sync wrote:
j259 wrote:

I've heard that analog VCOs can have tracking problems when doing FM vs digital VCOs. Might be something to keep in mind. Though frankly, I haven't done any extensive testing with tracking with digital VCOs either, though they'd be less likely to drift over time, that may not mean two differently designed digital VCOs would track perfectly out of the box...

In fact, I'm thinking I should do some tests with my E352 and Plaits and see how they fare. There could be calibration adjustments needed I suppose, where they're available...

Linear fm is more stable and the Rubicon 2 has rock solid tracking. Otherwise one can use a buffered mult to keep the modulator and carrier pitch ratio the same.

In my experience, Verbos CO and Furthrrrr track fine
Jumbuktu
j259 wrote:

Verbos has a beautiful earthy tone, but note the FM with mod OSC is exponential. Convenient linear FM requires an external oscillator. That said, if you set the mod. index at the right spot, the carrier will still stay in tune while switching from AM to FM and back.

The Rubicon is particularly strong in metallic and more pure FM sounds, as well as filter sweep like sounds and specialty in through zero tones. To me it has a sort of science fiction almost alien tone.

As it happens, I recently acquired both the Verbos CO and the Rubicon 1, without really intending to. The Verbos came up on eBay at a good price, and AnalogueHaven dropped the Rubicon price by $100 when the Rubicon 2 came out, so I took the opportunity to bust my credit card.

The Rubicon blew me away - it really does sound precise and has a million options for patching.

I was disappointed in the CO though - I should have researched it better. I didn't know abiut the unipolar modulation VCO and the exponential mod bus. I expected it to be able to do Buchla-style linear FM with ease, but in fact it's not set up to do that without external help. It does sound good as a basic analogue VCO though. If I had my choices, I would swap it for the Sputnik in a flash.

Both track well, by the way.
0BSRVR
Pittsburgh Double Helix is worth a look. It's great if your low on VCAs. The voltage control router is a ton of fun and very experimental. Happy accidents a plenty. It will pair up great with your Batumi.
Buttons ARE toys
pricklyrobot wrote:
You also might consider the FM Aid, to expand the palette of the A-110s.

+1 for this. FM Aid is cheap and extremely useful. I recently got a 3 Sisters and I've been using that and FM Aid as my main sound source.
mattsb
I am in a similar situation, trying to decide between a Rubicon/Dixie combination or an Instruo CsL. All the Rubicon demos seem to be fm sweeps and lots of modulation with little melodic content, whereas threre are a few CsL demos that much more “musical”, so I cannot tell whether I like the oscillator better or the content.

And for the life of me I can’t find a demo of TZFM vs not TZFM other than people demoing what it looks like on the oscilloscope. sad banana
Parnelli
I see today that Sweetwater here in the US has the Rubicon (I) for a hundred bucks off.... just sayin'!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2