MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Modules to duplicate Maths functions?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Modules to duplicate Maths functions?
mousegarden
I'm going through a rather uncharacteristic time, of wanting a Maths, throughout my entire career in modular, I've resisted the temptation, and those silly graphics.
I put my modular back together yesterday, I had lots of modules going rotten in our damp basement, those that didn't sell on the last clear out. Better to put them back in the case and use them I guess. But I've got a whopping great hole where modules have been sold, and as we all know, holes in cases have to be filled! I'm reluctant to spend any money though, or as little as possible. You can never have enough function modules IMO, utilities, and Maths is a good idea in this respect, but I'm wondering, from a financial point of view, would a certain combination of seperate modules do everything a Maths can do? or, is Maths still a good way to achieve a lot of functions for the money? I guess the reason why Maths is so popular is that it does indeed give you a lot for your money, it's a sort of done deal I know, but I thought I'd run it by you folks just in case anyone had any viable alternatives, or combinations of modules that might do similar things.
euromorcego
mousegarden wrote:
, ... but I'm wondering, from a financial point of view, would a certain combination of seperate modules do everything a Maths can do? or, is Maths still a good way to achieve a lot of functions for the money? I guess the reason why Maths is so popular is that it does indeed give you a lot for your money, it's a sort of done deal I know, but i thought I'd run it by you folks just in case anyone had any viable alternatives, or combinations of modules that might do similar things.

come on. this has been discussed over and over again. Maths is a dual funcion generator, with attenuverters in between. There are a zillion modules and combination of modules that do whatever Maths, some closer some not.

A function generator is a classic concept. What do you expect to hear now? That people provide you a listof modules function generators? They probably will do ...

From a financial point of view, any other combination with almost always be more expensive.

And one thing to consider: I somewhat expect that a large number of Maths users basically just use it as a glorified envelope generator (nothing wrong with it, did it myself) and never really explore beyond that. In this case, the number of alternatives gets even larger.
lud
Get a grayscale panel for it!
lud
Could buy one and get a grayscale panel for it!
cptnal
Search, dude. Search...

Mind you, we haven't had a Maths Lovers vs. Haters thread for a while, so let the games begin.

Enjoy the show!
mdoudoroff
Turns out that while there are transient generators galore on the market, there are aren’t many voltage controlled slews with transient generation normalling comparable to Maths/Function. So actually, it remains surprisingly quite difficult to replicate Maths at any expense.

The WMD/SSF Mini Slew is pretty close to one Maths slew, but configured a bit differently, and the Random*Source DUSG is of course generally similar (but without feature parity) to a pair of Maths slews.

The Joranalog Select 2 (see reviews by DivKid and Colour My Sound) is quite an interesting tool with similarities to Maths’ middle mixing section.

Any combo above will cost more than two Maths, though, and consume significantly more HP, all while probably remaining less patchable.
unclewoody
From a financial standpoint, get the Maths over the comparable modules. The Serge DUSG or the Befaco Rampage are more expensive.

Although a slightly cheaper option would be to DIY one of these alternatives. CGS has PCBs for the DUSG and RandomSource has complete kits. Befaco also has kits for the Rampage and the panel/PCB files are also open source.

Rex Coil 7
MATHS rock ... I have four.

They're SO versatile I figured they'd suit many many uses. So using four of them means as I learn something new on one of them, it will apply to the use of all of them. Learn one, you learn them all. And since they're so loaded with capability, it really like having many more than four other "fixed ability" modules ... it's probably more like having at least a dozen other modules (four MATHS, that is).

I've added four quad VCA/mixers to support the four MATHS. The combination of four quad VCA/mixers with four MATHS makes for a ~fourmidable~ modulation array .... get it? .... fourmidable? Damn I'm funny ... so very very funny.

All of that probably sounds totally nutso, but it makes a lot of sense to me.

Whatevers, y'know?

seriously, i just don't get it thumbs up
Agawell
@unclewoody OP is in UK - rampage is cheaper and maths is more expensive so they are about the same price (give or take a few quid/euro)

thonk has the random*source serge and befaco rampage kits for the uk/europe

I have a maths - it's great - so many ways to use it... and combined with stages!!!

currently mainly using it as an "unsynched"/polyrythmic clock/modulation source and envelope generator

modulation into the both cv inputs from stages

2 copies of both clock outs to different things (stages, branches into peaks, clock divider, 2hp tm)

modulation out from channel 1, or, sum, inv and channel 4 - all multed out to different things including stages, streams etc etc etc
mousegarden
AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!

Thanks for all the inputs! hihi

I'm imagining it in my rack, and as I move closer I get a severe attack of hieroglyphics syndrome. Trouble is, the videos are impressive, people seem to do amazing things with Maths, but I never understand what it is they are doing, or, how they are doing it! Then my enthusiasm wanes, and buying gets delayed for another six months.
Gyroscope
Get off the computer and go make music cool
mdoudoroff
mousegarden wrote:
I'm imagining it in my rack, and as I move closer I get a severe attack of hieroglyphics syndrome. Trouble is, the videos are impressive, people seem to do amazing things with Maths, but I never understand what it is they are doing, or, how they are doing it! Then my enthusiasm wanes, and buying gets delayed for another six months.

Frankly, I haven’t the faintest idea what you mean by “amazing things”. Maths is not “amazing”. Maths is simply useful. It does a pile of utterly mundane things very well, and it’s highly ergonomic. And it’s a good value. It’s essentially a 3-in-1: two voltage controlled slew generators and a mixer. Some thoughtful bells and whistles are baked in. That’s it.

If you enjoy challenging yourself with “Serge-style patch programming”, you can certainly indulge in that with Maths, but that’s not what the majority of us use the module for. Most of us just use Maths for the many mundane things it does.

There are no “hieroglyphics” on the Maths panel. The only illegible notation is “both”, and once you know what it is, you don’t care any more. Your protestations are silly. And, as pointed out above, if it matters that much to you, you can always swap out the panel with one from Grayscale.
tnktni
One thing to keep in mind for Random Source is that I believe their CV tops out at +/- 5V. If a module (e.g. filter) expects +/-10V it would not completely open/close a filter.
Robscorch
lud wrote:
Get a grayscale panel for it!

KEK
starthief
I've never had Maths, but I had an 0-Coast, Mini Slew, Rampage, and Function which... basically the same idea.

Working within the strict confines of the 0-Coast really taught me what that kind of function generator can do besides just make envelopes... which is still admittedly most of what I use Function / Mini Slew for.
AW198
mousegarden wrote:
Trouble is, the videos are impressive, people seem to do amazing things with Maths, but I never understand what it is they are doing, or, how they are doing it! Then my enthusiasm wanes, and buying gets delayed for another six months.

You'd understand better if you had one Guinness ftw!
jsco
two mini slews and a 3xMIA. only 2hp more, much clearer functional layout (to me), and then you can actually use all the functions independently without stepping on each other.
luketeaford
Just chiming in to say that if you are trying to recreate Maths, don't forget about the cycling behaviors of Trig in, the cycle input, and the cycle button. These are killer features and work a lot differently to the DUSG.

The DUSG also exhibits some different behavior with its outputs and how it retriggers or doesn't.

They're both great modules, but Maths makes changes to the DUSG design that I think make it easier to use in envelope ways while also making it more interesting to use in experimental ways with the mixing section, and making it more fun to use in rhythmic ways due to its cycle inputs/EOR/EOC behavior.
FarmerPhilip
Here's a thought (from someone in the Rampage group): Lurk eBay and buy a used one there. Play around with it for a while and decide if it makes sense for you or not. If it does: cool. If it doesn't, put it back up on eBay: you'll probably sell it for what you paid for it so all you'll be out is the shipping.
thetwlo
The newer (v2) Maths is much better labeled than the original. As much as I love the look of the original, it wasn't until I replaced the panel that I loved the module--thanks to a clearer understanding.
The Magpie panel also looks great if that's your fear.
had maths many years ago, got rid of it for 2 mini slews and an spo. never looked back since

Miley Cyrus
mousegarden
Gyroscope wrote:
Get off the computer and go make music cool

No, I don't feel like it, it's too hot to do anything, but speculating about Maths is OK though, as long as I don't get too "silly" about it.
OK, I've decided against getting one, after all these comments about slews attenuverters and envelopes, I can understand the value of Maths in a small system, but not if you've got space to have seperate units, and as someone said, Maths is all very well but it does step on itself, use it for one thing, and you've fucked it for everything else it can do. It's not good at multitasking.
R.U.Nuts
I have a Maths and a Doepfer A-171-2 for quite a while and must say Maths has a much better "feel". It's how it responds to knob turns. It's way easier to dial in a desired rise and fall time with the knobs of maths than with the A-171-2. furthermore and much more important: Maths retriggers during the fall stage while the A-171-2 doesn't retrigger at all. It has to complete it's cycle before it responds to a new trigger. I much prefer the way Maths works in this regard. I don't know how other VCS type modules retrigger and infos on this are hard to find. I'd definitely make up my mind which retrigger behavior I'd like to have and investigate on that before buying a VCS type module.
StateAzure
What about a Double Andore Mk2? I'm thinking of replacing my Maths with that, seems like a good alternative, and The Harvestman's panels are real nice IMO.
cptnal
mousegarden wrote:
It's not good at multitasking.

Fie! It can be at least 4 things at once. Perhaps the heat is affecting your judgement. hihi
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3