MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

Polysynths - Wanted - vibe over facts - Experience over spec
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Polysynths - Wanted - vibe over facts - Experience over spec
Figures
Ok.

So I own -

Six Trak
Juno 6
MKS50
Matrix 6r
Jv1080
Prophet 08
Poly 61
TX81Z
DX11

Samplers not included.

In order of vibe/use -

Juno 6
MKS50
Jv1080
Six Trak
Poly 61
TX81z
Prophet 08
Matrix 6r
DX21

My used and most liked are not necessarily the most popular or interesting or best specd but what I gel with and vibe with.

Thinking of selling -

Six Trak
Poly 61
TX81z
Prophet 08
Matrix 6r
DX21

And buying 1 synth.

After options, not specs, what you like to use and why if possible, those synths you enjoy, turn to time after time, natural extensions.

Appreciate that some if those feelings are based on familiarity but still an interesting debate. To me at least.
cscairney
Yamaha cs-50, cs-60

Vibe and experience
anselmi
polysix...I think it´s close to the juno-6 (that you like the most) in vibe...very easy to use, not too much parameters, big sweet spot, very versatile no matter the little synthesis parameters it have. Also: you can upgrade it to have full MIDI control and some other interesting features
Sinamsis
Ok, I'm not sure what the question is... what you should buy?

Mainly commenting because I've owned the P '08 and a Matrix 1000, which is close enough to the 6. I would say you can get very close to the Matrix 6 sound with the P '08. But I personally would not sell both, and I'd favor keeping the 08 for several reasons. Resale value isn't great. But aside from that, it's just a workhorse. I know you're not after specs, but it's hard to ignore all the modulation options. It makes it an incredibly versatile synth. And the gated sequencer, particularly using it in stepped mode for subtle variations, is something you won't easily find elsewhere. I regret selling mine (I sold it to buy a Rev 2, then found having a Rev 2 and P12 redundant). Granted I'm biased because the P '08 was one of my first hardware synths, first analog poly, and has been used by many artists that I respect. It's not the best sounding synth of them all. But it's unique. If I didn't have the P12, I would REALLY miss it, to the point that I would've already bought another.

That said, based on your preferences, I suspect you don't value a ton of modulation options or a potentially harsh and abrasive sounding synth, haha. Which I do. So I'll be the last one to tell you what to buy. That said, there are a ton of good options out there, and (though again I think we'll differ here), I tend to favor the modern options. I've owned quite a few synths:

Modal 008
Modal 002
Virus TI (ha, i think like 4 times, I have problems)
Nord Lead 2
Analog Keys
P '08
Rev 2
P12
Microwave I
Andromeda
Parva
Ambika (SMR and Polivoks versions)
Prophet 6
Poly Evolver
MKS-70
Alpha Juno
CZ 101
Digitone

Ha, I might be forgetting a few. I still own the P12, Microwave I, Andromeda, Analog Keys, Digitone and 002, but selling the AK. Ha, so if you have any questions feel free to ask.
Seaweed Sound
anselmi wrote:
polysix...I think it´s close to the juno-6 (that you like the most) in vibe...

Polysix has totally different vibe then Juno-6/60.. maybe similar in architecture or league (Korg's competitor to Juno range at the time). Tonally they are quite different.

I'd ditch the Prophet-08 and SixTrak for a Prophet-6 or maybe something with digital waves like Microwave rev 1.
anselmi
Seaweed Sound wrote:
Polysix has totally different vibe then Juno-6/60.. maybe similar in architecture or league (Korg's competitor to Juno range at the time). Tonally they are quite different.

not for me
they´re close enough to be in the same vibe, with different sound that justify get both...they´re complementary and different but in the same vibe of synths
Panason
You could wait for the new Waldorf Valkyrie or wtv they call it. (not the Quantum, unless you are loaded.) IMO every synth enthusiast should have a Waldorf synth.
shredsickgnar
Not much to add to this topic other than the Tx81z isn't worth that much and its probably better just to keep it and retain that sound pallet.
fac
The Nord Lead 3 is probably my favorite polysynth but you might not get with it. Personally, I found it very inspiring and versatile. Not particularly warm or analog-sounding but it basically made me sell all my VA and FM synth.

At some point, I sold all my polysynths and kept only a Nord Electro 4D, which is not a synth per se, and an Emu Vintage Pro module, which I'm too lazy to program from scratch. I also have Nord Rack 2x for on permanent loan but I've been considering buying another Lead 3 and start making electronic music again.

Another synth I always get back to is the Ensoniq ESQ-1 / SQ-80. Very powerful beasts with lots of modulation options. I do have an SQ-80 leaning against the wall right now. Probably should plug it in.

So I guess my ideally-reduced polysynth setup is something like:

- Nord Lead 3 (for VA/FM duties - currently have Nord Rack 2X)
- Nord Electro 4D (or newer) - for organs/pianos/mellotron sounds
- Ensoniq ESQ-1 / SQ-80 - analogue-ish sounds and other crazyness

- Emu Proteus 2000 series module (currently Vintage Pro with Ensoniq ZR rom) - generic expandable rompler with tons of useful sounds. Kind of redundant if I have the first three, so I could do without it, but I like having a rompler for doing elevator music with presets.

I've owned many others and some of them I've even bought more than once: Juno-106, JP-8000, Korg MS2000, Wavestations, X5D, Nord G2, Fizmo, Microwave XT, Yamaha EX5R, TX81z, DX200, FS1R, Virus A, Novation Nova and Circuit, Matrix 6R, Prophet 08, various Emu romplers.... all of them were useful and some of them were great, but the only one I really miss is the NL3.
CalvaryBand
Seems like you gel most with the Roland sound. I'd check out the System-8 or the Novation Supernova (has a similar texture to Roland gear, to my ears). They both retain that sound with quite a bit more program-ability than the synths you already have.
Figures
Had an ESQ1 and didn't get on with it so that's a no go.

Polysix is interesting
Never had any of the Nord leads so will check them out
CS50 and 60 not looked at really
Nearly bought a supernova a couple if times so will check again
Waldorf I had blofeld and pulse and didn't really like either so bit put off

Polysix and nord leads look like they have nice interfaces
dubonaire
Be aware that each of the Nord Leads are quite different from each other. I have a NL4 rack which I like. I also have a Novation Peak which is very polished and a Rev2 desktop. They all have very easy to use interfaces which is important for me. Those three are enough for me. I have an Integra 7 for Roland sounds if I wan but I mainly use it for its percussion sounds.
Ranxerox
Novation Ultranova is a pretty amazing poly for not much dough - had a play on one in a store today and was blown away by it, especially considering the price. Great great sounds - FYI, for comparison my current polysynths:

SCI Prophet 5
SCI Prophet VS
Oberheim Xpander
Kawai K5000S
Yamaha DX7 IIFD
Yamaha FS1R
Roland D50
Korg Wavestation A/D
Emu Morpheus
Waldorf Microwave II
Roland RS505
lud
Could start saving for the upcoming polyphonic Moog?

I've always fancied the poly evolver
Rex Coil 7
Kurzweil PC3A6. This is a real poly synth ... 61 synth action keys (none of that piano action nonsense) ... full-on FATAR TP/9S keybed, really REALLY powerful synth engine (V.A.S.T. is incredible), can go VA, rompler, or hybrid. One of the single best Hammond emulations ever made ("KB3 mode"), built like truck axle, very very deep synth with a lot of synth engine power. 128 note polyphony, seventeen arpeggiators, sixteen part multi-timbre, multi-track sequencer.

There are many aftermarket/3rd party sound developers out there. There's one fella that offers a full-on V.A.S.T. reconfigure (like how the KB3 mode is done) that creates a true FM engine out of the V.A.S.T. engine. ("Barbandco").

Since it's "only" a 5 octave synth it isn't like hauling around a king sized bed when you want to play out with it.

There's a new/demo model on eBay right now for half price and free shipping from an authorized dealer with six months warranty ($1299).

LINK = https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kurzweil-PC3A6-61-Key-Performance-Controller- Keyboard-Ribbon-Controller-Bag/273242194854?epid=1737740978&hash=item3 f9e8103a6%3Ag%3AdugAAOSwj0RbDHvW&_sacat=0&_nkw=kurzweil+pc3a6&_from=R4 0&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0%7C0

seriously, i just don't get it

In case you've not figured it out already, I own one of these. Simply insanely powerful synth. I'm no starry eyed noob, either ... 3rd Kurzweil, 30th synth ... since circa 1977. So even my jaded ass is impressed.

thumbs up
ScottA2A
Figures,

You placing the Juno 6 at the top of the list says a lot. However, you don't have anything in your list that is really high in the organic category, like a Jupiter, Prophet-5, OB, etc. and I bet you would go nuts with one of those. I assume the reasons for not having those are financial, so considering that, what people here have suggested with the Polysix is good. I have a Monopoly, which is very similar and it's such a great synth with loads of “vibe.” However the Polysix is still a single osc poly synth with chorus like your Juno, but it does sound very diff, sort of like having a Fender and Gibson guitar.

A nice analog two oscillator per voice synth would be a good choice, however you put the Prophet 8 lower on the list, and that also says something about your tastes. The Prophet 8 is an awesome synth but it has more of that vanilla flavor. The filter in the Juno, for example, has more attitude and character than the Prophet 8.

But based on the big three listed above, if you were to be able to afford one of them, I would definitely choose the Prophet 5. That synth is bursting with vib and just has almost unlimited possibilities. You could make an entire album with a just a Prophet 5 and have loads of different textures. If you sell all those other synths you may be able to get a Prophet 5, and the midi kits are available.

Another synth that gets very little love is a JX-8p with the PG-800 controller. It's velocity sensitive, which alone gives you more. I have an 8p right next to a Jupiter-8, and you would be surprised how similar you can make them sound. For some reason, the JX-10 / MKS-70 does not have this same quality. Someone said the op amps being different has something to do with it. My 8p has a more organic / less creamy / less bright sound than the JX-10. It also has an analog free running LFO that makes a big diff believe it or not. Plus, the 8p is so much more user friendly, better designed and fun to play. Also, the JX-3p with a PG-200 is another option. However it's sound is very close to your Juno, but both the 3p and 8p have two oscillators per voice with cross modulation options.

Please let us know what you get and what you think.

Scott.
Liddlepud
I have my polysix above my juno and I think they compliment each other well
Sir Ruff
Figures wrote:
Had an ESQ1 and didn't get on with it so that's a no go.

Polysix is interesting
Never had any of the Nord leads so will check them out
CS50 and 60 not looked at really
Nearly bought a supernova a couple if times so will check again
Waldorf I had blofeld and pulse and didn't really like either so bit put off

Polysix and nord leads look like they have nice interfaces

So you basically want "any" synth recommendations... which could go on ad infinitum. You would be better served researching things you like first rather than asking for blanket suggestions from folks on forums.

I'm also guessing that you probably have not spent much time programming or learning the more complicated synths. I would suggest focusing on learning more about what you have rather than just buying more. You literally have all the basic synth sounds covered, and then some.
rean1mator
I get quite a lot of inspiration from my

Ob-6
Modor NF-1
Digitone

All three just sounds so good.
DiscoDevil
rean1mator wrote:
I get quite a lot of inspiration from my

Ob-6
Modor NF-1
Digitone

All three just sounds so good.

OB-6 and Modor are totally where I'm at as well.
Blairio
left field choice, get something from Dreadbox, or a Micromonsta. A lot of the 6 or 8 voice polysynths being discussed here are more similar than different.
solitud
Figures wrote:

Thinking of selling -
Prophet 08
Matrix 6r

Owned and sold both. The P'08 was easy to sell. Not a bad synth but could not connect to the sound. Replaced with P~6, specs are worse on paper but better sound and interface.

Matrix 6r was harder to sell. I liked the sound but hated the interface and slow envelopes. These days there is the Stereoping Controller. If that was available when I sold my Matrix I maybe would still have it.

Juno 60 is an all time fav of me. And OB-8.
Dave Peck
solitud wrote:

Matrix 6r was harder to sell. I liked the sound but hated the interface and slow envelopes. These days there is the Stereoping Controller. If that was available when I sold my Matrix I maybe would still have it.

....apologies for derailing the thread, but.... Whoa!! I was not aware of this Stereoping device. Thank you! I have a Matrix 6R and a matrix 1000 and I've always wanted a good hardware programmer.

I also have a Rhodes Chroma and wow, they have a programmer for that, too! Excellent!! This is fun!

https://www.stereoping.com/synth-programmer/?lang=en

All of these synths sound wonderful but all have terrible user interfaces. These programmers look really good!
Sinamsis
Dave Peck wrote:
solitud wrote:

....apologies for derailing the thread, but.... Whoa!! I was not aware of this Stereoping device. Thank you! I have a Matrix 6R and a matrix 1000 and I've always wanted a good hardware programmer.

I also have a Rhodes Chroma and wow, they have a programmer for that, too! Excellent!! This is fun!

https://www.stereoping.com/synth-programmer/?lang=en

All of these synths sound wonderful but all have terrible user interfaces. These programmers look really good!

I'm looking at one for my Microwave I. I'd mention that the Matrix 1000 is a little sluggish to respond to MIDI so something like smooth filter sweeps with the Matrix 1000 may be difficult.
Dave Peck
yeah, I wouldn't rely on something like this to serve as a hi-res real-time controller, just a programmer.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4