MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Polysynths - Wanted - vibe over facts - Experience over spec
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Polysynths - Wanted - vibe over facts - Experience over spec
blinosynth
i have a yamaha An1x
it sound really good for a virtual digital synth but the UI is kinda crap
it was my first synth and just now after years of not playing it i found it has a really cool sound, filters are really nice and a lot of sweat spots
(but hate the knobs configurations very frustrating )

i was looking for a new poly
i was looking at rev2 and peak they sound nice, rev2 more organic (it seams)
ob6 sounds nice but too expensive
chris.d
Hi folks.

I've been tossing around getting an Ambika. It's vibe is pretty intoxicating to me. If anyone is selling, please PM me.

Otherwise happy to hear current thoughts on any other polys with similar vibe one should consider.
Appreciate it!
Exhale
Rhodes Chroma Polaris
Kawai SX240
limpmeat
Another vote for Ambika. But then my other favourite polysynth is a mk1 microwave
Figures
Poly six is looking like the one.

Trying to find one at the right money in good condition.

It looks like it will fit right in.

Has that natural playable extension of your creativity vibe.

Judging purely on videos mind, and the number of recommendations on this thread. Still I think it's front runner.
bambrose
No love for the Nord modular or blofeld ?
Exhale
bambrose wrote:

I think there is no vibe in those.
Very mathematical sound in both.
You have to work hard to extract vibe from them.

And Polysix, yeah, definitely a vibe machine.
But..... that battery leakage... ouch !
Panason
There will be a few to choose from in the second hand market soon, thanks to the moog.
tioJim
bambrose wrote:
No love for the ... blofeld ?

The Blofeld always seems like such a good idea on paper (and it is quite digital/sterile but likeably so imho) and I've picked one up more than once but then it never seems to find its way onto any tracks and I end up throwing it back into the sea.

Part of the problem is the UI. It's as good as it can be with the few knobs it has though, to be fair. I wish somebody would create an external hardware editor for it.

Editing on it isn't awful but it is a 'task' rather than a more fluid 'interaction'.
bambrose
Exhale wrote:
bambrose wrote:

I think there is no vibe in those.
Very mathematical sound in both.
You have to work hard to extract vibe from them.

And Polysix, yeah, definitely a vibe machine.
But..... that battery leakage... ouch !

I like 'em personally. In both cases for the sounds I can't get out if analogue polys, additive/wavetable/fm etc.. Don't mind the programming interface either .. But horses for courses I guess
stickman
MKS-70 + vecoven mod

Vibe and experience

Like 4x an mks-50 with sync and FM!
Bath House
What's the actual question here?

I think the Ensoniq SQ-80 is mindblowing good and I just picked one up for $150. It can sound like a CS-80 or the weirdest PPG/Fairlight thing.
Figures
I'm just poking around for insight into synths that feel great as instruments, that are like a great guitar or drum machine.

When you play with an instrument and it feels right and you turn to it time and time again, and it delivers.

As previous posters have said, it maybe pointless, but not to me.

I have owned both blofeld and Esq m .

Whuch were both recently suggested.

I hated both!

However I love the mks50, which some hate.

I Am interested in the cloudy area of feel.

What feels great, especially time and time again.

For me as I said system 100, juno 6, mks50, sh101 all fit that bill, All roland hmmm.....
geoffmar
digitone
unclebastard
I'm enjoying my Sledge 2 Black. Great sound, 24 voice poly, all controls immediately to hand and a straightforward Moog model D type signal path, excellent keyboard, MIDI in/out, USB updates and sound mapping. I'll be using this for a long time.
SB-SIX
I went through several vintage and newer poly's, and enjoyed the novation peak the most. Its not perfect by any means, but the interface is really nice, an d it can sound from warm/organic to clean. The fx sound great, audio rate modulation sounds good, wavetables are interesting and the build quality is very good.
Downsides for me: It can clip quite easily, especially when using resonance, but luckaly easy to fix, just dial down the mixers.
Sometimes the filter can sound a little too dark. Compared to my euro filters it just misses a little life in there. But often it's good enough.
The modulation matrix is not very handy, because params are spread over 2 menu pages, and switching to the next slot is only on 1 of those pages.
tron23
You might like the jx8p's sound from what I can understand, but you would need the pg800 programmer to get the most out if it. Guinness ftw!
mburp
yeah bro
Technologear?
I too have a Juno 6. Everything else I've had is nowhere near as vibey/good mojo.
Except:
-my OB6 - I turn a knob on it and feel at one with the instrument, even more than the Juno. I groan in pleasure when using it. It's the one I think about most, not for playing parts I've thought of but just to play, mindfully. If I had known how much I would love it, I'd have sold all my monos to raise funds.
-my Streichfett- I don't care that it's not analog or it has limited effects that don't midi sync. The mojo is so strong. Another out loud "oh yeaaahhhh" synth for me. I don't care how out on a limb I am on this one.

Both synths I knew from a few key UTube and SCloud demos that I'd like, and loved them even more once I acquired them. I'm no where near talented enough to utilise them properly to make tracks worth sharing or being proud about, and don't care one bit. Vibe and mojo, in the moment when playing them.
mousegarden
I have a Korg Triton, and a Korg Z1.
I have owned a Prophet 5 Rev3 and a Juno 6.
I am missing a knobby analogue poly.
I loved my Juno 6 about as much as I loved my Pro 5, the Juno was capable of giving me more, with less, a simple sound on the Juno sounded far richer and more organic than a more complicated sound on the Pro 5.
The Pro 5 has a few modulation tricks that you cannot do on any other synth, that's why I kept it.
My shopping list goes like this....a new Prophet 12, the original Pro 5 is so unreliable it's a joke. I'm going to get one of the new "toy" Roland's to replace my Juno.
gruebleengourd
I'd vote for the prophet 12. It's deep and flexible, and maybe not 'instantaneously' vibey, but you can program it it in. The thing about it to me which is really special is how well designed the UI and how easily it is to program in modulations that make each patch behave and responder with the feel of a 'real instrument' rather than just some abstract sound maker. With a little effort it becomes and excellent 'players' synth.
Figures
I was actually very impressed with he streichfett demos.

It's a nice option for portable also
numan7
confused isn't streichfett more of a string-machine than a polysynth?

cheers
WaveRider
SB-SIX wrote:
I went through several vintage and newer poly's, and enjoyed the novation peak the most.

I would go this way....

...mind you I think you have a nice sound palette already, but I get your point about having more of a monster synth.

OB6/P6 are more obvious choices. I would not get any vintage unless you get an insane deal.

I have a modular for flavor and a few cheaper polys for the different sounds they make and I am really happy, no need for a super expensive poly for me. But I am not a real keyboard player either.
Josef_K
No mention of the Prologue yet? It very much has a pleasing vibe imo. Especially the 61-key version makes you want to play and come up with melodies/chord progressions rather than tweaking complex modulations (there's modular for that). But with the sub-timbre and digital osc it can quickly get much more complex than for example the OB-6, which arguably has a touch more vibe.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 2 of 4