MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Polysynths - Wanted - vibe over facts - Experience over spec
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Polysynths - Wanted - vibe over facts - Experience over spec
StillNotWorking
ScottA2A wrote:

Another synth that gets very little love is a JX-8p with the PG-800 controller. It's velocity sensitive, which alone gives you more. I have an 8p right next to a Jupiter-8, and you would be surprised how similar you can make them sound. For some reason, the JX-10 / MKS-70 does not have this same quality. Someone said the op amps being different has something to do with it. My 8p has a more organic / less creamy / less bright sound than the JX-10. It also has an analog free running LFO that makes a big diff believe it or not. Plus, the 8p is so much more user friendly, better designed and fun to play. Also, the JX-3p with a PG-200 is another option. However it's sound is very close to your Juno, but both the 3p and 8p have two oscillators per voice with cross modulation options.

Scott.

Filters seems to be tunet somewhat different. Super JX has self-oscillating filters which JX8 can't do.
http://snw.lonningdal.no/jx10.php

As other has mentioned. One need the Vecoven firmware to get the most from the Super JX. If it's your only polysynth the PWM mode is interesting too. http://www.vecoven.com/superjx/superjx.html
mousegarden
gruebleengourd wrote:
I'd vote for the prophet 12. It's deep and flexible, and maybe not 'instantaneously' vibey, but you can program it it in. The thing about it to me which is really special is how well designed the UI and how easily it is to program in modulations that make each patch behave and responder with the feel of a 'real instrument' rather than just some abstract sound maker. With a little effort it becomes and excellent 'players' synth.

The Pro 12 made an instant impact on me, even the presets, at a show, not the ideal environment as we all know.
It just sounds lovely, and with minimal tweaking, sublime.
The only reason I don't own one is space, and justifying the outlay.
StillNotWorking
I bought the P12 Desktop at impulse when a better demo deal emerged.

Although it has a well thought out user interface I still wish they added at least 8 user programmable knobs to the surface. It would be nice to have access to envelopes and amont for multiple modulation slots without the need for multiple button press, or external controller.

...still, it delivers some great sounds. Be aware the oscillators tends to aliasing on outer regions, which can be used creatively or make your day miserable.

Can't find the video now, but there is a guy on YT that used the P12 to simulate several of the classic Roland acid sounds. I thought that was hilarious when I saw it, — thinking of all the overcrowded music desks in the world.

I keep mine as I like it a lot, but sadly no, — P12 wont rule them all. I'm temped by the Peak to test if it's FPGA ocsilators are capable of clear non distorted upper region bell sounds.
SB-SIX
StillNotWorking wrote:
I'm temped by the Peak to test if it's FPGA ocsilators are capable of clear non distorted upper region bell sounds.

Shall I try to record some? What kind of patch did you have in mind? FM/AM, ratios etc?
StillNotWorking
SB-SIX wrote:

Shall I try to record some? What kind of patch did you have in mind? FM/AM, ratios etc?

Thanks, that would be interesting. But maybe you can tell if you feel Peak has an upper hand compared to other poly synths when it comes to create high piched bell sounds like glockenspiel?
StillNotWorking
More in the theme of this thread. I think Starsky Carr did a fine job showing of the vibe of OB 6 vs Prophet 6.
While he conclude Pro 6 is the all rounder of them OB 6 have more character which to me equals vibe.
Scories
Maybe I'm wrong, but part of the charm of the Polysix is the modulation section. I had more satisfying results with a JX-3P plus a top-end dual phaser than a Polysix alone.
Figures
regards the jx3-p i had one alongside the juno 6 for a while, and needed money, one had to go, for me it was no contest the jx3-p went. the juno 6 can do it all and more for me and is imediate and fuller sounding. so no real desire to re aquire that one.

the polysix doesnt sound like that from what i have checked out.

also i have been running the prophet 08 this week through my boss ce3 it makes a massive difference, so much so i cant bear to disengage the chorus.

im enjoying the 08 more for it but am also gutted it kind of needs it.
Figures
StillNotWorking wrote:

While he conclude Pro 6 is the all rounder of them OB 6 have more character which to me equals vibe.

i agree ob6 sounders better to me
tehyar
Great video! To me, the OB sounds better in the first half, the P6 is better in the second half. The higher note stuff later (pads, twinkles) had this odd "hollowness?" with that OB filter. Give me the OB any day for the left half of the keys, though. It does growly, fizzy 80's synth like nothing else. Oof, what a sizzle. SlayerBadger!

This isn't me dissing either - I have both, and the vid helped me reaffirm it's not a bad place to be.
StillNotWorking
Figures wrote:
regards the jx3-p i had one alongside the juno 6 for a while, and needed money, one had to go, for me it was no contest the jx3-p went. the juno 6 can do it all and more for me and is imediate and fuller sounding. so no real desire to re aquire that one.

the polysix doesnt sound like that from what i have checked out.

also i have been running the prophet 08 this week through my boss ce3 it makes a massive difference, so much so i cant bear to disengage the chorus.

im enjoying the 08 more for it but am also gutted it kind of needs it

How do you feel about the Juno 6 when you turn off the chorus?

I often find myself hooking up my Boss Dimension C on new synths without buildin effect, even before powering them up for the first time. Plan to pick up the new Wasa Craft version to test if the SSD-320 setting (Dimension D) add something interesting to the mix.

The chorus on the Polysix do add some notable hiss. At least the one I have does. To me the Polysix doesn't have the range of the Roland. But it do have a unique caracter making it hard to part with.
Scories
Figures wrote:
regards the jx3-p i had one alongside the juno 6 for a while, and needed money, one had to go, for me it was no contest the jx3-p went. the juno 6 can do it all and more for me and is imediate and fuller sounding.

One might argue that the Juno-6 has a fuller sound but it cannot do ALL of what a 3P can.
From my point of view, having a high end chorus-modulation processor can help you save hundreds of dollars (even thousands) on over-hyped polysynths.
mousegarden
Figures wrote:
StillNotWorking wrote:

i agree ob6 sounders better to me

It's difficult, depends what you want either for, I like them both, but the Pro 6 has a lovely delicate sound, the Obie is deep and rich, and can be more aggressive, for my music I'd choose the Pro 6 but I can understand the appeal of the Obie. But stuck in a room with the Obie as my only synth I'm sure I'd fall in love with it, choice is good, but sometimes you can have too much of it.
Joonbug
I have a Rhodes Chroma Polaris and love it. Can’t believe there’s anything out there like it at the used prices they go for...
Membrane pad issues are fixable now too.
StillNotWorking
Regarding vibes, I think maybe string machines can have lot more vibes vs more modern polysynths.
Surely most of them lose out on diversity but the haunting sound out of the Synthorchestra is hard not to like love
Wracked with Guilt
I agree on the Syntorchestra but good luck finding a working one, they are as rare as hen's teeth and pricey too.

For a more practical alternative, the Dreadbox Abyss is drenched in a haunted 1970s atmosphere that reminds me of old string machines, electric harpsichords and Popul Vuh choirs - and all in a compact form factor although it's only 4-note polyphonic. I think it would compliment your other synths well:

StillNotWorking
Wracked with Guilt wrote:
For a more practical alternative, the Dreadbox Abyss is drenched in a haunted 1970s atmosphere

Amazing sounds. But is this Abyss alone, or is it heavily altered with modulated effects in post? The YT description doesn't tell and the video start out more plain similar to most demos of this machine.
chris.d
For me, I was seriously considering Abyss and then decided to go w Ambika. Loving it sonically & finding navigating around fairly intuitive after a little digging.

Wracked with Guilt
StillNotWorking wrote:
For a more practical alternative, the Dreadbox Abyss is drenched in a haunted 1970s atmosphere

Amazing sounds. But is this Abyss alone, or is it heavily altered with modulated effects in post? The YT description doesn't tell and the video start out more plain similar to most demos of this machine.

Happy to report that it is just the Abyss's onboard modulation FX (BBD chorus/flanger, analogue phasor and lo-fi digital delay) although 2 patches use a stereo echo (a $40 Line6 Echopark) to widen the image. No other processing or fx were used.

The onboard fx are excellent, atmospheric and surpassingly versatile but strictly mono-only. You do get a separate dry output for parallel processing although I've never used it.

I have tried putting the Abyss through 'better' fx like the Eventide Space but it just gets lost each time. Using the Nyx and Abyss has given me a new found appreciation for the lost world of glorious mono!
StillNotWorking
thumbs up thanks for clarifying Wracked with Guilt, — its back on my wishlist
Technologear?

For a more practical alternative, the Dreadbox Abyss...

I really appreciated this suggestion and video, thanks!

How is OP going with the search? Getting closer?
eltrasgu
I want one dx11 or 7 so bad...
Love my ms2000 tho, the sound is not very good but it is great for drone/noise. very funny machine. they are not expensive so you get what you pay for
Panason
I'm coming up to getting a new poly after I clear out some older gear.

I recently tried the Novation Peak at a shop. I like it quite a lot... and I didn't like Novation's previous offerings. I think at that price range it is one of the best options.

The Abyss sounds nice but doesn't really qualify as a proper polysynth IMO. And..no patch memories puts it in the "great sound but not much use" category for me.
Portabella
Novation Peak is a steal at its price !
Figures

How is OP going wigth the search? Getting closer?

Still looking Guinness ftw!

Polysix is current front runner.

A6 has also peaked my interest.

JD800 has also peaked my interest.

These are both physically large, which is not ideal.

As has Novation Peak.

I always look at the roland options. Jx10 interests me. Played a Jupiter 6 quite intensively and again preferred the juno 6. So 're roland it is Jupiter 8 which is out of price range or jx10 or JD800. JX10 has no front controls which is a down side.

So all in all still pondering.

As I say polysix is leading the way but cant help but feel it's overpriced vs JD800, which is really drawing me. Problem with them is getting a A1 item. Peak still has me on the fence.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 3 of 4