MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Polysynths - Wanted - vibe over facts - Experience over spec
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Polysynths - Wanted - vibe over facts - Experience over spec
Figures
Ok.

So I own -

Six Trak
Juno 6
MKS50
Matrix 6r
Jv1080
Prophet 08
Poly 61
TX81Z
DX11

Samplers not included.

In order of vibe/use -

Juno 6
MKS50
Jv1080
Six Trak
Poly 61
TX81z
Prophet 08
Matrix 6r
DX21

My used and most liked are not necessarily the most popular or interesting or best specd but what I gel with and vibe with.

Thinking of selling -

Six Trak
Poly 61
TX81z
Prophet 08
Matrix 6r
DX21

And buying 1 synth.

After options, not specs, what you like to use and why if possible, those synths you enjoy, turn to time after time, natural extensions.

Appreciate that some if those feelings are based on familiarity but still an interesting debate. To me at least.
cscairney
Yamaha cs-50, cs-60

Vibe and experience
anselmi
polysix...I think it´s close to the juno-6 (that you like the most) in vibe...very easy to use, not too much parameters, big sweet spot, very versatile no matter the little synthesis parameters it have. Also: you can upgrade it to have full MIDI control and some other interesting features
Sinamsis
Ok, I'm not sure what the question is... what you should buy?

Mainly commenting because I've owned the P '08 and a Matrix 1000, which is close enough to the 6. I would say you can get very close to the Matrix 6 sound with the P '08. But I personally would not sell both, and I'd favor keeping the 08 for several reasons. Resale value isn't great. But aside from that, it's just a workhorse. I know you're not after specs, but it's hard to ignore all the modulation options. It makes it an incredibly versatile synth. And the gated sequencer, particularly using it in stepped mode for subtle variations, is something you won't easily find elsewhere. I regret selling mine (I sold it to buy a Rev 2, then found having a Rev 2 and P12 redundant). Granted I'm biased because the P '08 was one of my first hardware synths, first analog poly, and has been used by many artists that I respect. It's not the best sounding synth of them all. But it's unique. If I didn't have the P12, I would REALLY miss it, to the point that I would've already bought another.

That said, based on your preferences, I suspect you don't value a ton of modulation options or a potentially harsh and abrasive sounding synth, haha. Which I do. So I'll be the last one to tell you what to buy. That said, there are a ton of good options out there, and (though again I think we'll differ here), I tend to favor the modern options. I've owned quite a few synths:

Modal 008
Modal 002
Virus TI (ha, i think like 4 times, I have problems)
Nord Lead 2
Analog Keys
P '08
Rev 2
P12
Microwave I
Andromeda
Parva
Ambika (SMR and Polivoks versions)
Prophet 6
Poly Evolver
MKS-70
Alpha Juno
CZ 101
Digitone

Ha, I might be forgetting a few. I still own the P12, Microwave I, Andromeda, Analog Keys, Digitone and 002, but selling the AK. Ha, so if you have any questions feel free to ask.
Seaweed Sound
anselmi wrote:
polysix...I think it´s close to the juno-6 (that you like the most) in vibe...

Polysix has totally different vibe then Juno-6/60.. maybe similar in architecture or league (Korg's competitor to Juno range at the time). Tonally they are quite different.

I'd ditch the Prophet-08 and SixTrak for a Prophet-6 or maybe something with digital waves like Microwave rev 1.
anselmi
Seaweed Sound wrote:
Polysix has totally different vibe then Juno-6/60.. maybe similar in architecture or league (Korg's competitor to Juno range at the time). Tonally they are quite different.

not for me
they´re close enough to be in the same vibe, with different sound that justify get both...they´re complementary and different but in the same vibe of synths
Panason
You could wait for the new Waldorf Valkyrie or wtv they call it. (not the Quantum, unless you are loaded.) IMO every synth enthusiast should have a Waldorf synth.
shredsickgnar
Not much to add to this topic other than the Tx81z isn't worth that much and its probably better just to keep it and retain that sound pallet.
fac
The Nord Lead 3 is probably my favorite polysynth but you might not get with it. Personally, I found it very inspiring and versatile. Not particularly warm or analog-sounding but it basically made me sell all my VA and FM synth.

At some point, I sold all my polysynths and kept only a Nord Electro 4D, which is not a synth per se, and an Emu Vintage Pro module, which I'm too lazy to program from scratch. I also have Nord Rack 2x for on permanent loan but I've been considering buying another Lead 3 and start making electronic music again.

Another synth I always get back to is the Ensoniq ESQ-1 / SQ-80. Very powerful beasts with lots of modulation options. I do have an SQ-80 leaning against the wall right now. Probably should plug it in.

So I guess my ideally-reduced polysynth setup is something like:

- Nord Lead 3 (for VA/FM duties - currently have Nord Rack 2X)
- Nord Electro 4D (or newer) - for organs/pianos/mellotron sounds
- Ensoniq ESQ-1 / SQ-80 - analogue-ish sounds and other crazyness

- Emu Proteus 2000 series module (currently Vintage Pro with Ensoniq ZR rom) - generic expandable rompler with tons of useful sounds. Kind of redundant if I have the first three, so I could do without it, but I like having a rompler for doing elevator music with presets.

I've owned many others and some of them I've even bought more than once: Juno-106, JP-8000, Korg MS2000, Wavestations, X5D, Nord G2, Fizmo, Microwave XT, Yamaha EX5R, TX81z, DX200, FS1R, Virus A, Novation Nova and Circuit, Matrix 6R, Prophet 08, various Emu romplers.... all of them were useful and some of them were great, but the only one I really miss is the NL3.
CalvaryBand
Seems like you gel most with the Roland sound. I'd check out the System-8 or the Novation Supernova (has a similar texture to Roland gear, to my ears). They both retain that sound with quite a bit more program-ability than the synths you already have.
Figures
Had an ESQ1 and didn't get on with it so that's a no go.

Polysix is interesting
Never had any of the Nord leads so will check them out
CS50 and 60 not looked at really
Nearly bought a supernova a couple if times so will check again
Waldorf I had blofeld and pulse and didn't really like either so bit put off

Polysix and nord leads look like they have nice interfaces
dubonaire
Be aware that each of the Nord Leads are quite different from each other. I have a NL4 rack which I like. I also have a Novation Peak which is very polished and a Rev2 desktop. They all have very easy to use interfaces which is important for me. Those three are enough for me. I have an Integra 7 for Roland sounds if I wan but I mainly use it for its percussion sounds.
Ranxerox
Novation Ultranova is a pretty amazing poly for not much dough - had a play on one in a store today and was blown away by it, especially considering the price. Great great sounds - FYI, for comparison my current polysynths:

SCI Prophet 5
SCI Prophet VS
Oberheim Xpander
Kawai K5000S
Yamaha DX7 IIFD
Yamaha FS1R
Roland D50
Korg Wavestation A/D
Emu Morpheus
Waldorf Microwave II
Roland RS505
lud
Could start saving for the upcoming polyphonic Moog?

I've always fancied the poly evolver
Rex Coil 7
Kurzweil PC3A6. This is a real poly synth ... 61 synth action keys (none of that piano action nonsense) ... full-on FATAR TP/9S keybed, really REALLY powerful synth engine (V.A.S.T. is incredible), can go VA, rompler, or hybrid. One of the single best Hammond emulations ever made ("KB3 mode"), built like truck axle, very very deep synth with a lot of synth engine power. 128 note polyphony, seventeen arpeggiators, sixteen part multi-timbre, multi-track sequencer.

There are many aftermarket/3rd party sound developers out there. There's one fella that offers a full-on V.A.S.T. reconfigure (like how the KB3 mode is done) that creates a true FM engine out of the V.A.S.T. engine. ("Barbandco").

Since it's "only" a 5 octave synth it isn't like hauling around a king sized bed when you want to play out with it.

There's a new/demo model on eBay right now for half price and free shipping from an authorized dealer with six months warranty ($1299).

LINK = https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kurzweil-PC3A6-61-Key-Performance-Controller- Keyboard-Ribbon-Controller-Bag/273242194854?epid=1737740978&hash=item3 f9e8103a6%3Ag%3AdugAAOSwj0RbDHvW&_sacat=0&_nkw=kurzweil+pc3a6&_from=R4 0&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0%7C0

seriously, i just don't get it

In case you've not figured it out already, I own one of these. Simply insanely powerful synth. I'm no starry eyed noob, either ... 3rd Kurzweil, 30th synth ... since circa 1977. So even my jaded ass is impressed.

thumbs up
ScottA2A
Figures,

You placing the Juno 6 at the top of the list says a lot. However, you don't have anything in your list that is really high in the organic category, like a Jupiter, Prophet-5, OB, etc. and I bet you would go nuts with one of those. I assume the reasons for not having those are financial, so considering that, what people here have suggested with the Polysix is good. I have a Monopoly, which is very similar and it's such a great synth with loads of “vibe.” However the Polysix is still a single osc poly synth with chorus like your Juno, but it does sound very diff, sort of like having a Fender and Gibson guitar.

A nice analog two oscillator per voice synth would be a good choice, however you put the Prophet 8 lower on the list, and that also says something about your tastes. The Prophet 8 is an awesome synth but it has more of that vanilla flavor. The filter in the Juno, for example, has more attitude and character than the Prophet 8.

But based on the big three listed above, if you were to be able to afford one of them, I would definitely choose the Prophet 5. That synth is bursting with vib and just has almost unlimited possibilities. You could make an entire album with a just a Prophet 5 and have loads of different textures. If you sell all those other synths you may be able to get a Prophet 5, and the midi kits are available.

Another synth that gets very little love is a JX-8p with the PG-800 controller. It's velocity sensitive, which alone gives you more. I have an 8p right next to a Jupiter-8, and you would be surprised how similar you can make them sound. For some reason, the JX-10 / MKS-70 does not have this same quality. Someone said the op amps being different has something to do with it. My 8p has a more organic / less creamy / less bright sound than the JX-10. It also has an analog free running LFO that makes a big diff believe it or not. Plus, the 8p is so much more user friendly, better designed and fun to play. Also, the JX-3p with a PG-200 is another option. However it's sound is very close to your Juno, but both the 3p and 8p have two oscillators per voice with cross modulation options.

Please let us know what you get and what you think.

Scott.
Liddlepud
I have my polysix above my juno and I think they compliment each other well
Sir Ruff
Figures wrote:
Had an ESQ1 and didn't get on with it so that's a no go.

Polysix is interesting
Never had any of the Nord leads so will check them out
CS50 and 60 not looked at really
Nearly bought a supernova a couple if times so will check again
Waldorf I had blofeld and pulse and didn't really like either so bit put off

Polysix and nord leads look like they have nice interfaces

So you basically want "any" synth recommendations... which could go on ad infinitum. You would be better served researching things you like first rather than asking for blanket suggestions from folks on forums.

I'm also guessing that you probably have not spent much time programming or learning the more complicated synths. I would suggest focusing on learning more about what you have rather than just buying more. You literally have all the basic synth sounds covered, and then some.
rean1mator
I get quite a lot of inspiration from my

Ob-6
Modor NF-1
Digitone

All three just sounds so good.
DiscoDevil
rean1mator wrote:
I get quite a lot of inspiration from my

Ob-6
Modor NF-1
Digitone

All three just sounds so good.

OB-6 and Modor are totally where I'm at as well.
Blairio
left field choice, get something from Dreadbox, or a Micromonsta. A lot of the 6 or 8 voice polysynths being discussed here are more similar than different.
solitud
Figures wrote:

Thinking of selling -
Prophet 08
Matrix 6r

Owned and sold both. The P'08 was easy to sell. Not a bad synth but could not connect to the sound. Replaced with P~6, specs are worse on paper but better sound and interface.

Matrix 6r was harder to sell. I liked the sound but hated the interface and slow envelopes. These days there is the Stereoping Controller. If that was available when I sold my Matrix I maybe would still have it.

Juno 60 is an all time fav of me. And OB-8.
Dave Peck
solitud wrote:

Matrix 6r was harder to sell. I liked the sound but hated the interface and slow envelopes. These days there is the Stereoping Controller. If that was available when I sold my Matrix I maybe would still have it.

....apologies for derailing the thread, but.... Whoa!! I was not aware of this Stereoping device. Thank you! I have a Matrix 6R and a matrix 1000 and I've always wanted a good hardware programmer.

I also have a Rhodes Chroma and wow, they have a programmer for that, too! Excellent!! This is fun!

https://www.stereoping.com/synth-programmer/?lang=en

All of these synths sound wonderful but all have terrible user interfaces. These programmers look really good!
Sinamsis
Dave Peck wrote:
solitud wrote:

....apologies for derailing the thread, but.... Whoa!! I was not aware of this Stereoping device. Thank you! I have a Matrix 6R and a matrix 1000 and I've always wanted a good hardware programmer.

I also have a Rhodes Chroma and wow, they have a programmer for that, too! Excellent!! This is fun!

https://www.stereoping.com/synth-programmer/?lang=en

All of these synths sound wonderful but all have terrible user interfaces. These programmers look really good!

I'm looking at one for my Microwave I. I'd mention that the Matrix 1000 is a little sluggish to respond to MIDI so something like smooth filter sweeps with the Matrix 1000 may be difficult.
Dave Peck
yeah, I wouldn't rely on something like this to serve as a hi-res real-time controller, just a programmer.
blinosynth
i have a yamaha An1x
it sound really good for a virtual digital synth but the UI is kinda crap
it was my first synth and just now after years of not playing it i found it has a really cool sound, filters are really nice and a lot of sweat spots
(but hate the knobs configurations very frustrating )

i was looking for a new poly
i was looking at rev2 and peak they sound nice, rev2 more organic (it seams)
ob6 sounds nice but too expensive
chris.d
Hi folks.

I've been tossing around getting an Ambika. It's vibe is pretty intoxicating to me. If anyone is selling, please PM me.

Otherwise happy to hear current thoughts on any other polys with similar vibe one should consider.
Appreciate it!
Exhale
Rhodes Chroma Polaris
Kawai SX240
limpmeat
Another vote for Ambika. But then my other favourite polysynth is a mk1 microwave
Figures
Poly six is looking like the one.

Trying to find one at the right money in good condition.

It looks like it will fit right in.

Has that natural playable extension of your creativity vibe.

Judging purely on videos mind, and the number of recommendations on this thread. Still I think it's front runner.
bambrose
No love for the Nord modular or blofeld ?
Exhale
bambrose wrote:

I think there is no vibe in those.
Very mathematical sound in both.
You have to work hard to extract vibe from them.

And Polysix, yeah, definitely a vibe machine.
But..... that battery leakage... ouch !
Panason
There will be a few to choose from in the second hand market soon, thanks to the moog.
tioJim
bambrose wrote:
No love for the ... blofeld ?

The Blofeld always seems like such a good idea on paper (and it is quite digital/sterile but likeably so imho) and I've picked one up more than once but then it never seems to find its way onto any tracks and I end up throwing it back into the sea.

Part of the problem is the UI. It's as good as it can be with the few knobs it has though, to be fair. I wish somebody would create an external hardware editor for it.

Editing on it isn't awful but it is a 'task' rather than a more fluid 'interaction'.
bambrose
Exhale wrote:
bambrose wrote:

I think there is no vibe in those.
Very mathematical sound in both.
You have to work hard to extract vibe from them.

And Polysix, yeah, definitely a vibe machine.
But..... that battery leakage... ouch !

I like 'em personally. In both cases for the sounds I can't get out if analogue polys, additive/wavetable/fm etc.. Don't mind the programming interface either .. But horses for courses I guess
stickman
MKS-70 + vecoven mod

Vibe and experience

Like 4x an mks-50 with sync and FM!
Bath House
What's the actual question here?

I think the Ensoniq SQ-80 is mindblowing good and I just picked one up for $150. It can sound like a CS-80 or the weirdest PPG/Fairlight thing.
Figures
I'm just poking around for insight into synths that feel great as instruments, that are like a great guitar or drum machine.

When you play with an instrument and it feels right and you turn to it time and time again, and it delivers.

As previous posters have said, it maybe pointless, but not to me.

I have owned both blofeld and Esq m .

Whuch were both recently suggested.

I hated both!

However I love the mks50, which some hate.

I Am interested in the cloudy area of feel.

What feels great, especially time and time again.

For me as I said system 100, juno 6, mks50, sh101 all fit that bill, All roland hmmm.....
geoffmar
digitone
unclebastard
I'm enjoying my Sledge 2 Black. Great sound, 24 voice poly, all controls immediately to hand and a straightforward Moog model D type signal path, excellent keyboard, MIDI in/out, USB updates and sound mapping. I'll be using this for a long time.
SB-SIX
I went through several vintage and newer poly's, and enjoyed the novation peak the most. Its not perfect by any means, but the interface is really nice, an d it can sound from warm/organic to clean. The fx sound great, audio rate modulation sounds good, wavetables are interesting and the build quality is very good.
Downsides for me: It can clip quite easily, especially when using resonance, but luckaly easy to fix, just dial down the mixers.
Sometimes the filter can sound a little too dark. Compared to my euro filters it just misses a little life in there. But often it's good enough.
The modulation matrix is not very handy, because params are spread over 2 menu pages, and switching to the next slot is only on 1 of those pages.
tron23
You might like the jx8p's sound from what I can understand, but you would need the pg800 programmer to get the most out if it. Guinness ftw!
mburp
yeah bro
Technologear?
I too have a Juno 6. Everything else I've had is nowhere near as vibey/good mojo.
Except:
-my OB6 - I turn a knob on it and feel at one with the instrument, even more than the Juno. I groan in pleasure when using it. It's the one I think about most, not for playing parts I've thought of but just to play, mindfully. If I had known how much I would love it, I'd have sold all my monos to raise funds.
-my Streichfett- I don't care that it's not analog or it has limited effects that don't midi sync. The mojo is so strong. Another out loud "oh yeaaahhhh" synth for me. I don't care how out on a limb I am on this one.

Both synths I knew from a few key UTube and SCloud demos that I'd like, and loved them even more once I acquired them. I'm no where near talented enough to utilise them properly to make tracks worth sharing or being proud about, and don't care one bit. Vibe and mojo, in the moment when playing them.
mousegarden
I have a Korg Triton, and a Korg Z1.
I have owned a Prophet 5 Rev3 and a Juno 6.
I am missing a knobby analogue poly.
I loved my Juno 6 about as much as I loved my Pro 5, the Juno was capable of giving me more, with less, a simple sound on the Juno sounded far richer and more organic than a more complicated sound on the Pro 5.
The Pro 5 has a few modulation tricks that you cannot do on any other synth, that's why I kept it.
My shopping list goes like this....a new Prophet 12, the original Pro 5 is so unreliable it's a joke. I'm going to get one of the new "toy" Roland's to replace my Juno.
gruebleengourd
I'd vote for the prophet 12. It's deep and flexible, and maybe not 'instantaneously' vibey, but you can program it it in. The thing about it to me which is really special is how well designed the UI and how easily it is to program in modulations that make each patch behave and responder with the feel of a 'real instrument' rather than just some abstract sound maker. With a little effort it becomes and excellent 'players' synth.
Figures
I was actually very impressed with he streichfett demos.

It's a nice option for portable also
numan7
confused isn't streichfett more of a string-machine than a polysynth?

cheers
WaveRider
SB-SIX wrote:
I went through several vintage and newer poly's, and enjoyed the novation peak the most.

I would go this way....

...mind you I think you have a nice sound palette already, but I get your point about having more of a monster synth.

OB6/P6 are more obvious choices. I would not get any vintage unless you get an insane deal.

I have a modular for flavor and a few cheaper polys for the different sounds they make and I am really happy, no need for a super expensive poly for me. But I am not a real keyboard player either.
Josef_K
No mention of the Prologue yet? It very much has a pleasing vibe imo. Especially the 61-key version makes you want to play and come up with melodies/chord progressions rather than tweaking complex modulations (there's modular for that). But with the sub-timbre and digital osc it can quickly get much more complex than for example the OB-6, which arguably has a touch more vibe.
StillNotWorking
ScottA2A wrote:

Another synth that gets very little love is a JX-8p with the PG-800 controller. It's velocity sensitive, which alone gives you more. I have an 8p right next to a Jupiter-8, and you would be surprised how similar you can make them sound. For some reason, the JX-10 / MKS-70 does not have this same quality. Someone said the op amps being different has something to do with it. My 8p has a more organic / less creamy / less bright sound than the JX-10. It also has an analog free running LFO that makes a big diff believe it or not. Plus, the 8p is so much more user friendly, better designed and fun to play. Also, the JX-3p with a PG-200 is another option. However it's sound is very close to your Juno, but both the 3p and 8p have two oscillators per voice with cross modulation options.

Scott.

Filters seems to be tunet somewhat different. Super JX has self-oscillating filters which JX8 can't do.
http://snw.lonningdal.no/jx10.php

As other has mentioned. One need the Vecoven firmware to get the most from the Super JX. If it's your only polysynth the PWM mode is interesting too. http://www.vecoven.com/superjx/superjx.html
mousegarden
gruebleengourd wrote:
I'd vote for the prophet 12. It's deep and flexible, and maybe not 'instantaneously' vibey, but you can program it it in. The thing about it to me which is really special is how well designed the UI and how easily it is to program in modulations that make each patch behave and responder with the feel of a 'real instrument' rather than just some abstract sound maker. With a little effort it becomes and excellent 'players' synth.

The Pro 12 made an instant impact on me, even the presets, at a show, not the ideal environment as we all know.
It just sounds lovely, and with minimal tweaking, sublime.
The only reason I don't own one is space, and justifying the outlay.
StillNotWorking
I bought the P12 Desktop at impulse when a better demo deal emerged.

Although it has a well thought out user interface I still wish they added at least 8 user programmable knobs to the surface. It would be nice to have access to envelopes and amont for multiple modulation slots without the need for multiple button press, or external controller.

...still, it delivers some great sounds. Be aware the oscillators tends to aliasing on outer regions, which can be used creatively or make your day miserable.

Can't find the video now, but there is a guy on YT that used the P12 to simulate several of the classic Roland acid sounds. I thought that was hilarious when I saw it, — thinking of all the overcrowded music desks in the world.

I keep mine as I like it a lot, but sadly no, — P12 wont rule them all. I'm temped by the Peak to test if it's FPGA ocsilators are capable of clear non distorted upper region bell sounds.
SB-SIX
StillNotWorking wrote:
I'm temped by the Peak to test if it's FPGA ocsilators are capable of clear non distorted upper region bell sounds.

Shall I try to record some? What kind of patch did you have in mind? FM/AM, ratios etc?
StillNotWorking
SB-SIX wrote:

Shall I try to record some? What kind of patch did you have in mind? FM/AM, ratios etc?

Thanks, that would be interesting. But maybe you can tell if you feel Peak has an upper hand compared to other poly synths when it comes to create high piched bell sounds like glockenspiel?
StillNotWorking
More in the theme of this thread. I think Starsky Carr did a fine job showing of the vibe of OB 6 vs Prophet 6.
While he conclude Pro 6 is the all rounder of them OB 6 have more character which to me equals vibe.
Scories
Maybe I'm wrong, but part of the charm of the Polysix is the modulation section. I had more satisfying results with a JX-3P plus a top-end dual phaser than a Polysix alone.
Figures
regards the jx3-p i had one alongside the juno 6 for a while, and needed money, one had to go, for me it was no contest the jx3-p went. the juno 6 can do it all and more for me and is imediate and fuller sounding. so no real desire to re aquire that one.

the polysix doesnt sound like that from what i have checked out.

also i have been running the prophet 08 this week through my boss ce3 it makes a massive difference, so much so i cant bear to disengage the chorus.

im enjoying the 08 more for it but am also gutted it kind of needs it.
Figures
StillNotWorking wrote:

While he conclude Pro 6 is the all rounder of them OB 6 have more character which to me equals vibe.

i agree ob6 sounders better to me
tehyar
Great video! To me, the OB sounds better in the first half, the P6 is better in the second half. The higher note stuff later (pads, twinkles) had this odd "hollowness?" with that OB filter. Give me the OB any day for the left half of the keys, though. It does growly, fizzy 80's synth like nothing else. Oof, what a sizzle. SlayerBadger!

This isn't me dissing either - I have both, and the vid helped me reaffirm it's not a bad place to be.
StillNotWorking
Figures wrote:
regards the jx3-p i had one alongside the juno 6 for a while, and needed money, one had to go, for me it was no contest the jx3-p went. the juno 6 can do it all and more for me and is imediate and fuller sounding. so no real desire to re aquire that one.

the polysix doesnt sound like that from what i have checked out.

also i have been running the prophet 08 this week through my boss ce3 it makes a massive difference, so much so i cant bear to disengage the chorus.

im enjoying the 08 more for it but am also gutted it kind of needs it

How do you feel about the Juno 6 when you turn off the chorus?

I often find myself hooking up my Boss Dimension C on new synths without buildin effect, even before powering them up for the first time. Plan to pick up the new Wasa Craft version to test if the SSD-320 setting (Dimension D) add something interesting to the mix.

The chorus on the Polysix do add some notable hiss. At least the one I have does. To me the Polysix doesn't have the range of the Roland. But it do have a unique caracter making it hard to part with.
Scories
Figures wrote:
regards the jx3-p i had one alongside the juno 6 for a while, and needed money, one had to go, for me it was no contest the jx3-p went. the juno 6 can do it all and more for me and is imediate and fuller sounding.

One might argue that the Juno-6 has a fuller sound but it cannot do ALL of what a 3P can.
From my point of view, having a high end chorus-modulation processor can help you save hundreds of dollars (even thousands) on over-hyped polysynths.
mousegarden
Figures wrote:
StillNotWorking wrote:

i agree ob6 sounders better to me

It's difficult, depends what you want either for, I like them both, but the Pro 6 has a lovely delicate sound, the Obie is deep and rich, and can be more aggressive, for my music I'd choose the Pro 6 but I can understand the appeal of the Obie. But stuck in a room with the Obie as my only synth I'm sure I'd fall in love with it, choice is good, but sometimes you can have too much of it.
Joonbug
I have a Rhodes Chroma Polaris and love it. Can’t believe there’s anything out there like it at the used prices they go for...
Membrane pad issues are fixable now too.
StillNotWorking
Regarding vibes, I think maybe string machines can have lot more vibes vs more modern polysynths.
Surely most of them lose out on diversity but the haunting sound out of the Synthorchestra is hard not to like love
Wracked with Guilt
I agree on the Syntorchestra but good luck finding a working one, they are as rare as hen's teeth and pricey too.

For a more practical alternative, the Dreadbox Abyss is drenched in a haunted 1970s atmosphere that reminds me of old string machines, electric harpsichords and Popul Vuh choirs - and all in a compact form factor although it's only 4-note polyphonic. I think it would compliment your other synths well:

StillNotWorking
Wracked with Guilt wrote:
For a more practical alternative, the Dreadbox Abyss is drenched in a haunted 1970s atmosphere

Amazing sounds. But is this Abyss alone, or is it heavily altered with modulated effects in post? The YT description doesn't tell and the video start out more plain similar to most demos of this machine.
chris.d
For me, I was seriously considering Abyss and then decided to go w Ambika. Loving it sonically & finding navigating around fairly intuitive after a little digging.

Wracked with Guilt
StillNotWorking wrote:
For a more practical alternative, the Dreadbox Abyss is drenched in a haunted 1970s atmosphere

Amazing sounds. But is this Abyss alone, or is it heavily altered with modulated effects in post? The YT description doesn't tell and the video start out more plain similar to most demos of this machine.

Happy to report that it is just the Abyss's onboard modulation FX (BBD chorus/flanger, analogue phasor and lo-fi digital delay) although 2 patches use a stereo echo (a $40 Line6 Echopark) to widen the image. No other processing or fx were used.

The onboard fx are excellent, atmospheric and surpassingly versatile but strictly mono-only. You do get a separate dry output for parallel processing although I've never used it.

I have tried putting the Abyss through 'better' fx like the Eventide Space but it just gets lost each time. Using the Nyx and Abyss has given me a new found appreciation for the lost world of glorious mono!
StillNotWorking
thumbs up thanks for clarifying Wracked with Guilt, — its back on my wishlist
Technologear?

For a more practical alternative, the Dreadbox Abyss...

I really appreciated this suggestion and video, thanks!

How is OP going with the search? Getting closer?
eltrasgu
I want one dx11 or 7 so bad...
Love my ms2000 tho, the sound is not very good but it is great for drone/noise. very funny machine. they are not expensive so you get what you pay for
Panason
I'm coming up to getting a new poly after I clear out some older gear.

I recently tried the Novation Peak at a shop. I like it quite a lot... and I didn't like Novation's previous offerings. I think at that price range it is one of the best options.

The Abyss sounds nice but doesn't really qualify as a proper polysynth IMO. And..no patch memories puts it in the "great sound but not much use" category for me.
Portabella
Novation Peak is a steal at its price !
Figures

How is OP going wigth the search? Getting closer?

Still looking Guinness ftw!

Polysix is current front runner.

A6 has also peaked my interest.

JD800 has also peaked my interest.

These are both physically large, which is not ideal.

As has Novation Peak.

I always look at the roland options. Jx10 interests me. Played a Jupiter 6 quite intensively and again preferred the juno 6. So 're roland it is Jupiter 8 which is out of price range or jx10 or JD800. JX10 has no front controls which is a down side.

So all in all still pondering.

As I say polysix is leading the way but cant help but feel it's overpriced vs JD800, which is really drawing me. Problem with them is getting a A1 item. Peak still has me on the fence.
StillNotWorking
Yeah, PG-800 feels cramped sitting on the big JX-10 panel zombie
Note that JX-10 will open up with any sw or hw MIDI controller with firmware 3.x. Version 3.x will aslo give you arps on JX10, but not on the MKS-70 rack version.

PG-1000 with D-550 rack could bring you some JD-800 vibes in a much smaller package. Save the space for A6 or Quantum oops

StillNotWorking
Figure, have you had the opportunity to play a Jupiter 4? From what I'm reading J4 is the one many people hang on to when selling they're J6.
Panason
A whole bunch of Andromeda A6s has shown up on ebay! I wonder why...
proteus-ix
Figures wrote:

How is OP going wigth the search? Getting closer?

Still looking Guinness ftw!

Polysix is current front runner.

A6 has also peaked my interest.

JD800 has also peaked my interest.

These are both physically large, which is not ideal.

As has Novation Peak.

I always look at the roland options. Jx10 interests me. Played a Jupiter 6 quite intensively and again preferred the juno 6. So 're roland it is Jupiter 8 which is out of price range or jx10 or JD800. JX10 has no front controls which is a down side.

So all in all still pondering.

As I say polysix is leading the way but cant help but feel it's overpriced vs JD800, which is really drawing me. Problem with them is getting a A1 item. Peak still has me on the fence.

I'm curious why you have ignored the suggestion for a System 8, which seems obvious given your apparent love for the Roland sound?
Panason
The Peak peaked his/her interest w00t
zaphod betamax
Picking between my Vermona '14, perFOURmer, or Abyss, I'd have to say
the Abyss wins for out of tune vibe, but the '14 wins for tone vibe.
So very subjective!

edit: just ordered another Abyss from Detroit Modular, so let's see how a 8VCO Abyss setup transpires!
P.O.L.
My favourite synth for "vibe" is either Studiologic Sledge 2, or Novation Ultranova - I use them both a lot, the Sledge is more a "player's" synth but so easy to tweak the sounds, the Ultranova I just spend ages playing with the arpeggiator and the best non-knob per parameter synth I've ever had to program - doddle to use. The MS2000 was my go to synth when starting a track, it tends to be the Ultranova now...
drowld
Honestly never came close to push2 and wavetable in term of sound design possibilities and hands on control.
You get feeback on a nice screen with only the informations you need. And it's pretty fucking deep w00t
Xisylop
Just for the record, the word is "piqued" not "peaked". If you're gonna say it so much in a thread (everyone) at least use the right word!

Anyway, I've had most of the cheaper synths mentioned in this thread including:

Prophet 6, polysix, JD-800, D-50, Juno 6,60,106, JX-3P, 8P and MKS 70 (jx10), and about fifty more beside...

My favourites are JX-3P (with kiwi mod) yeah I prefer it to the Junos, Juno 60, polysix, JD800. I love Roland . I don't however like much about the 8p or 10/mks70. Crap filters, plastic sound. JX3P is so much nicer regardless of features (even non kiwi modded). JD800 sounds nicer than 8p too even though digital (great great filter).

Between polysix and JD 800, Ive had two of each. JD is gorgeous , polysix has bags of charm and very analogue sounding! But limited.

I think JD800 is the much better synth for creative and beautiful sounds, much better filter than D50 , great interface! Polysix is good but understand it's a simple synth like Junos and to have two like that is a bit overkill! They sound different but both get samey after a while.
chris.d
You know how it is when you’re waiting for a package to arrive and it’s sure to be inspiring, and look cool as hell too?!
Modor fm-1 coming this week. w00t
Thinking combined w Ambika there’s some poly vibe pending.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 4