MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Using Disting MK4 as a drum machine
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Using Disting MK4 as a drum machine
killkrt
Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible using a Disting MK4 as a simple drum machine.
I mean loading a playlist of samples and then control gate (X), sample to be played (Y), pitch (Z).

I would like to find a cheap way (so less than 250€) to have a drum module with at least 4 elements (kick, snare, tom, hi-hat), so something like Pico Drums with four voices.

Thank you.
Lostintime
I don't know about Disting, but you should check out DSPSynthesizers. They have a few small drum modules that are very affordable with multiple triggers. For example: DSP 606 II

I haven't tried these.
bemushroomed
Of course.

A neat trick i use for acoustic drums is to use slight variations of the drums in the Left and Right channel of each sample, e.g a soft hit snare in L and a harder hit snare in R. Outputs from Disting into a CV-controlled switch to sometimes change the sound.

Disting can nowadays also trigger 2 sounds (polyphony) l i believe.. have been away from euro for a while (too hot to do any music in the summer).
euromorcego
Lostintime wrote:
I don't know about Disting, but you should check out DSPSynthesizers. They have a few small drum modules that are very affordable with multiple triggers. For example: DSP 606 II

I haven't tried these.

you should definitely NOT do this! And if you do, please read everything you find here on the subject first.

In additon to the unreliability, the DSP modules are also quite poor quality. They lack almost everything that can be expected from such a module (reverse power protection, buffering of inputs, etc ....), extremely poor design overall. Sound quality is lofi (no DAC, its just a pwn). While the chips are ok (as fun to use as lofi drum machines), the modules are overpriced.

... and Jan has this obsession with giving suggestive names to modules R606, only to impress the gullible, this is nothing like a 606.

If you look for a really cheap and simple solution: check out the bleep drum. You can even upload your own samples (within reason), and it can be nicely triggered from eurorack,

Otherwise: yes, the disting should work. It should have decent sample playback with low latency.

Other options are: the ladik ROM player (you can buy 4 on your budget), a pre-owned Nord Drum 1 (not eurorack, but has trigger inputs), actually a lot of drum expander have trigger inputs, many of them can be bought quite cheap.
bemushroomed
I've had 1 DSP synthesizer drum module, they are 8 bit and of very low quality, nice if you're into that sound but... while it might not a "scam" its almost bordering to it wink

At one time i owned 4 Ladik ROM players, i think they sound nice and crunchy (12bit), but you do get tired of hearing the same sounds, eventually i sold them.
gentle_attack
Why do you want to do this in Eurorack? Anything from a Pocket Operator (PO-12 or PO-33) to a Volca Sample would do you better in the $150 range, or of course their are Octatrack and MPCs too.

If all you want to do is trigger sampled sounds, you will need however many voices you want, plus a way to sequence them, plus an output module, and that's still not getting you anything a Volca can't do. Seems like an extremely expensive way of doing business.

There are lots of reasons to invest in Eurorack, but for triggering drum samples, something like a Digitakt is going to be less expensive and way more flexible.
selfdestroyer
What about the Erica Synth Pico Drums or the TipTop Audio One?
bemushroomed
selfdestroyer wrote:

The only advantage Tiptop One has is that it has higher bit depth. Other than that the Disting totally crushes it into little pieces, which is kind of funny since it's not even a dedicated sampler/sampleplayer module, it can do 83 other things as well. Price is about the same.

Erica Synth Pico Drums.. from what i recall it's not that easy to change samples on it.. Disting now even features a SD slot on the front. It can also handle things like loops.. its one of the more advanced sampleplayers in eurorack, even rivals my dedicated sampler (Bitbox).

Unlike Gentle_Attack I would advice against going with external machines for drums. Personally find it distracting to use them or that i just don't come around using them when i sit infront of the eurorack + having to fiddle with midi and latency. Having everything in euro is a much better, more focused and more fun experience overall, IMHO. Triggering things is one of my favorite things in euro, especially drums smile Very fun programming in comparison to working on a synced external machine.
euromorcego
bemushroomed wrote:

Unlike Gentle_Attack I would advice against going with external machines for drums. [...] Having everything in euro is a much better, more focused and more fun experience overall, IMHO. Triggering things is one of my favorite things in euro, especially drums ...

indeed, i tend to agree (while an external drum machine, of course, is still also fun ... and definitely either cheaper or way for flexible).

Still, i'd love to see a simple (!) module that just takes 4 triggers, plays wav files, maybe also a cv input for each channel (pitch and decay) and has a sd card slot.

I would not need a monster sample manipulator for $$$$, just a basic trigger device with low latency.

For example, Roland makes the TM-2: https://www.roland.com/global/products/tm-2/

4 trigger inputs, sdhc card, etc ... even runs on batteries.

Seems to work fine with the Elektron A4, so it should also work with eurorack (just a google search, don't know the guy):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cavkb-SPes

Something like that in the rack would be quite fun ...
bobbcorr
Use four channels on a Rossum Assimil8or, which leaves you four other channels for Other Adventures.
lisa
Where can one get the Assimil8or for "less than 250€"? wink
bemushroomed
euromorcego wrote:

For example, Roland makes the TM-2: https://www.roland.com/global/products/tm-2/

4 trigger inputs, sdhc card, etc ... even runs on batteries.

Seems to work fine with the Elektron A4, so it should also work with eurorack (just a google search, don't know the guy):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cavkb-SPes

Something like that in the rack would be quite fun ...

Yes, i've owned the TM-2 it works just fine, easy to use, got it for like $100 used. Decent latency (i have a comparison on Muff somewhere where i test its latency in comparison to eurorack and Nord Drum 2).
TM-2 also has built in effects like roland space echo, compressor etc.. it also has many of the roland classic drum samples in it already. so for the price it's excellent.
bobbcorr
lisa wrote:
Where can one get the Assimil8or for "less than 250€"? wink

Oops.

As a penance, I offer the Delptronics LDB-2e, which offers 8 different drum sounds:

Kick Drum
Low Tom
High Tom
Wood Block
Rim Shot
Snare Drum
Closed Hi-hat
Open Hi-hat

Individual outputs and volume knobs for Kick, Snare, Toms, and Hi-hats
Volume knob for Wood Block and Rim Shot
Mix output jack.
Drums are removed from the mix when a patch cord is plugged into an individual output jack.
Eight voice polyphony
All drums can be played simultaneously
Simultaneous open and closed hi-hat sounds like an accented closed hi-hat
Connect it to any trigger, gate, envelope, or clock source
Built-in gate to trigger converter
A trigger or gate signal of any shape or duty cycle will trigger the drums.
6 HP wide, 40mm deep (skiff friendly)
Draws 28mA +12V, 20ma -12V, does not require 5V

...for $195.

https://delptronics.com/ldb2e.php

It also has an expander, the LDB-2x Expansion Module that offers:

A knob and a control voltage jack for the pitch of every drum
A knob and a control voltage jack for the decay of the open hi-hat and kick drum
6 HP wide, less than 48mm deep (skiff friendly)
Connects to the LDB-2x via an included ribbon cable
Does not require separate power

...for $125.

So a little bigger but definitely on-spec. I think.
tuj
euromorcego wrote:
Still, i'd love to see a simple (!) module that just takes 4 triggers, plays wav files, maybe also a cv input for each channel (pitch and decay) and has a sd card slot.

Basically the QuBit Wave.
kay_k
get a used PO-12 and our Euro-Adapter. Drums+Sequencer+FX for roughly 100€
(the sounds on the PO12 are really nice too)
subdo
bemushroomed wrote:
selfdestroyer wrote:

The only advantage Tiptop One has is that it has higher bit depth. Other than that the Disting totally crushes it into little pieces, which is kind of funny since it's not even a dedicated sampler/sampleplayer module, it can do 83 other things as well. Price is about the same.

The tiptop One has much lower latency than the Disting sample player modes in my experience. For some sounds it doesn't really matter but on drum sounds with sharp transients I can definitely hear it especially when played with analogue modules that have practically no latency.
tuj
I agree with subdo regarding latency between the two modules. I’m pretty happy with my Tta One units.
os
killkrt wrote:
I was wondering if it is possible using a Disting MK4 as a simple drum machine.
I mean loading a playlist of samples and then control gate (X), sample to be played (Y), pitch (Z).

Pretty much exactly this was added recently - see about 2 minutes into this:

Quote:
The only advantage Tiptop One has is that it has higher bit depth.

If anyone can honestly tell me they'd hear the difference I can support 24 bit in the disting. The DACs are 24 bit.

Quote:
The tiptop One has much lower latency than the Disting sample player modes in my experience.

Just wanted to check you a) had all the fade in/out options turned off, and b) you were using an equally fast SD card in both.
killkrt
killkrt wrote:

Pretty much exactly this was added recently

we're not worthy applause we're not worthy
Cool!!! That's exactly what I was looking for and you've just added few days ago!!! Rockin' Banana! thumbs up
bemushroomed
subdo wrote:

The tiptop One has much lower latency than the Disting sample player modes in my experience.

No, not "much", unless you explain what "much" is to you. To me much is a module which is lagging 10 ms behind - we are nearing something which might be audible depending on the sound and composition.

To me it's only interesting what kind of latency modules have overall, because they will not all match. I have compared it to a number of modules (+ other hardware synths too), like BIA, Nord Drum 2, Plonk, Atlantis. It's not lagging behind overall, it's "faster" than some digital modules and has more latency than some, by 1-2 ms. The analog modules does have less latency than all the digital ones from my experience, some digital modules can have 5-6ms more latency. So if someone is only running analog modules, then yes i would say that Tip Tip One might have a very slight advantage since it will be tighter. I've not used it though so i'm not sure how well ONE really does. It's usually one thing saying something on paper and a whole other thing testing how it really performs in practice.
PLNB
euromorcego wrote:
Lostintime wrote:

I haven't tried these.

you should definitely NOT do this! And if you do, please read everything you find here on the subject first.

In additon to the unreliability, the DSP modules are also quite poor quality. They lack almost everything that can be expected from such a module (reverse power protection, buffering of inputs, etc ....), extremely poor design overall. Sound quality is lofi (no DAC, its just a pwn). While the chips are ok (as fun to use as lofi drum machines), the modules are overpriced.

... and Jan has this obsession with giving suggestive names to modules R606, only to impress the gullible, this is nothing like a 606.

If you look for a really cheap and simple solution: check out the bleep drum. You can even upload your own samples (within reason), and it can be nicely triggered from eurorack,

Otherwise: yes, the disting should work. It should have decent sample playback with low latency.

Other options are: the ladik ROM player (you can buy 4 on your budget), a pre-owned Nord Drum 1 (not eurorack, but has trigger inputs), actually a lot of drum expander have trigger inputs, many of them can be bought quite cheap.

Second this!! The guy that runs the shop (correct me if I'm wrong) stiffed a bunch of Kickstarter backers on the Tiny-TS synth and never shipped out most of the complete units. Others that did receive units reported faulty usage. I'd personally avoid dealing with this guy's catalog of gear.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1