MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Can a Mobius do anything a Machinedrum+Doepfer A190 cant?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Can a Mobius do anything a Machinedrum+Doepfer A190 cant?
Bricks
To all the mobius users on the board:

I was thinking of getting a Future Retro Mobius instead of an A190 for CV Conversion. For some reason I thought I could play notes on a midi keyboard and have the Mobius record pitches step by step... but now I'm realizing its set using up/down buttons

I think I'd rather give up a euro slot than a whole 3U. I could just have the Machinedrum run sequences into the A190. I can't think of any feature loss (other than the various types of CV conversion the Mobius does, which I dont think I need because I plan to stick with Plan B VCOs for now... and accenting, actually)

Or maybe the entry level Kenton one as I hear its easier to program.

Thoughts?
Chris
Muff Wiggler
yeah, just one thing -

drive hz/V devices

the A190 can't do it

the Kenton can, but not at the same time as driving v/Oct devices

the Mobius can do both at the same time, in tune with each other

which may not matter to you unless you want to drive a Metasonix VCO or some old Korg stuff...

also the sequencing on the mobius is a lot more '303-alike' whereas the sequencing on the machinedrum is a lot more menu-alike

but yeah, definately something to think about. Kenton Pro Solo Mk.1 is my 'main' converter, and it's an awesome little box and not hard to deal with at all. But I have the luxury of a pair of Mobii for fun sequcening and to drive hz/v stuff
zerosum
Quote:
which may not matter to you unless you want to drive a Metasonix VCO or some old Korg stuff...

The Yamaha CS series too..
Which is a must for me since I love the Metasonix stuff and Love the time I have spent with a CS-5...I will have a CS synth! Yes I will!!! My friend Marlon has a CS-5.

Quote:
I think I'd rather give up a euro slot than a whole 3U.

You can get ears for it that set it up into a desktop unit.
I have mine on the desk.

This is a killer unit, Its hard to imagine a modular system without it,
I set that before I even bought it...
You really get a lot for you money.

Good luck with your choices smile
Bricks

fac
First: You may want to consider the Pittsburgh Modular MIDI2 instead of the A190. The MIDI2 does 2 channels of CV/Gate and has a clock output and only uses 6hp. Another good (but expensive) option is the Kilpatrick 1600 MIDI Interface, which can also output two channels, plus up to four triggers, and clock sync.

Second: The Mobius does lots of things the MD+MIDI Interface can't. First, it has an accent output and built-in slide, which does a great 303 sequencer impersonation. It also lets you "play" with the sequences in realtime: you can easily transpose, turn steps on and off, and change sequence length. And finally, it lets you link 2 or more patterns for longer sequences. You can't easily to these things with the MD, and changing the pattern length will also affect the drum parts.

Yes, the Mobius does use buttons for sequencing, but it's very straightforward, whereas sequencing melodies on the MachineDrum is not so fun: it requires parameter-locking the MIDI note, and I think that information is lost when you turn off a step, so it's not realtime-playable.
suboptimal
The Mobius is definitely better at sequencing notes, for the reason fac described.

It's a very nice sequencer. Straightforward but robust. The hardware is quite nice, too. (I'm speaking from my experience with the 777, but I assume they're the same build.)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1