MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Too much modulation?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Too much modulation?
Grumpypanda69
Curious to know what the amount of modulations sources vs the number of VCOs should be?

I’ve got loads of modulation available for two VCOs (Graphic VCO, Fusion VCO).

My problem is that I’m so happy with those two VCOs I don’t really feel like adding more, and if I did I have limited knowledge of what would be good to further explorations in to drone/ambient?
memes_33
limiting yourself to just two VCO's and a bunch of modulators is not only a great way to explore the depth of those two VCO's, but a great way to learn modular overall.

when i switched from euro to buchla, it was so expensive that i could only afford a 259 (complex dual VCO), 292 (VCA/VCF), and 281 (EG)- that allowed me to really explore the depth of sound in the the 259. it's so easy to fall into the trap of wanting more gear without fully exploring what you already have
Grumpypanda69
Yeah that’s what I’m finding, I have a lot of modules right now and despite a large amount of GAS for a sequencer & WMD mixer I’m gonna stick with my outboard mixer & settle in to really learning how everything interacts. Especially as I’ve already spent more than I had planned for this year.
st_corbin
If you’re happy with what you got, that’s what matters. I’ve certainly got a lot more modulation sources than VCOs. If you’re getting the sounds you want and enjoying the creative process then you’re on the right track.

As far as ambient/drone stuff goes, I’d say get a reverb, delay, and modules that can do really long modulation times, like I know o_c is capable of some really long LFOs and Just Friends can have some long modulation times.
euxine
memes_33 wrote:
limiting yourself to just two VCO's and a bunch of modulators is not only a great way to explore the depth of those two VCO's, but a great way to learn modular overall.

when i switched from euro to buchla, it was so expensive that i could only afford a 259 (complex dual VCO), 292 (VCA/VCF), and 281 (EG)- that allowed me to really explore the depth of sound in the the 259. it's so easy to fall into the trap of wanting more gear without fully exploring what you already have

+1 Solid Gold Advice we're not worthy
captjrab
Plenty more to modulate than just VCO’s. I havent seen your set up, but check out all the cv ins on your filter(s) and fx as well as the fm or pw on your VCO’s. If you’re not completely tapped out, score up some attenuators whch will compliment your modulators. The WMD SSF quad is
cptnal
...and don't forget to modulate your modulators. Even better, use some VCAs to get modulation to modulate your modulators. woah
starthief
Modulation is important, but I tend to think less about "am I modulating everything?" than "is there interesting texture and motion?"

So for instance:

-- Using slightly detuned oscillators, either layered or with AM, FM, RM, PM, filter FM etc. (or combinations of those). No need for an LFO there!

-- Put your amplitude VCA/LPG in front of distortion/wavefolders, so you get timbral changes along with amplitude.

-- A resonant filter slightly detuned from the oscillator. Depending on the relative levels, resonance, tuning, character of the filter etc. you can get beating effects, dynamic detuning and growls and other fun things. Again, putting an amplitude VCA first can reap rewards.

-- Feedback loops that evolve on their own. (Although sometimes modulation can make this more interesting too...)

-- End-of-chain effects outside your rack that have their own modulation. (That's cheating! hihi)

-- Reverb and delay, freezers/loopers used judiciously.

-- Manual wiggling, the original modulator smile

-- Good use of the stereo field, particularly mid/side processing, can make things sound much bigger without adding more modulation.
Grumpypanda69
Great advice here. I am really enjoying my setup.

Currently:

Erica Graphic & Fusion VCOs, Fusion Ring Modulator, Fusion VCA, Fusion Filter & Fusion Vintage Ensemble. Also Erica Dual VCF, Black Modulator & 2 x Black EG. I also have Rampage, 2 x Serpens Quad LFO, Batumi & Poti, NLC Triple Sloth, 2 x Tallin VCA, Serpens Triple Attenuator & I have the Filter 8 on the way.

Mixed externally via my Mackie but will add the Eric Stereo Mixer eventually.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1