MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

6HP filter
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author 6HP filter
laneo
I have 6HP left on my first (upcoming) rack for a filter.
I´m already getting a Polaris and a 3 sisters.

There seems to be many 6hp VCFs out there. I´ve been reading the forum and found this possible candidates:

- Intellijel uVCF
- Analogue Solutions SY04
- HN VCF
- Blue lantern lm4250

Any recommendations on the above mentioned or any other good candidate?
Thanks !
lisa
Happy Nerding HN VCF is great value and tons of function in 6hp.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/happy-nerding-hn-vcf
insoul8
So you want advice on a third filter even before you get your first two? My advice, hold off until you spend some time with the two you are already getting and then decide what you may be missing.
starthief
insoul8 wrote:
So you want advice on a third filter even before you get your first two? My advice, hold off until you spend some time with the two you are already getting and then decide what you may be missing.

This.

I like Bastl Cinnamon (5HP), but it is one of two filter modules in my 460HP setup (the other is Belgrad) -- and in most patches I don't use either of them.
Jenseits
Eurocrack dope is so strong nowadays! You want moar before you even took some!
laneo
In my country each module cost at least 50% more than in USA.
I´m travelling to USA in a couple of weeks, so I´m getting everything that will fit my rack. If I dont like a module, I can sell it later. But I´d prefer to buy as wisely as I can.

So waiting to see what I´d like to have later is not an option in this particular case. I appreciate the advice anyway.
scuto
Bastl Cinnamon could be interesting to check out, especially if you will have a chance to try things in a shop while you're in the states.
Yes Powder
+1 for Cinnamon. Great little filter, plenty of character, and relatively cheap.

If you decide can spare an extra 2hp, I'd recommend at least checking out the Metasonix RK4. Nothing else quite like it. Can be gentle, or can totally slap your shit.
I have my fingers crossed that the RK6 will be coming out very soon, too. I know I'm buying it as soon as it does. </fanboy>
insoul8
laneo wrote:
In my country each module cost at least 50% more than in USA.
I´m travelling to USA in a couple of weeks, so I´m getting everything that will fit my rack. If I dont like a module, I can sell it later. But I´d prefer to buy as wisely as I can.

So waiting to see what I´d like to have later is not an option in this particular case. I appreciate the advice anyway.

In that case, depending on how big your rack is, I’d probably advise against using that much space for filters. I’m sure there are a number of utilities that would be better suited and are typically overlooked by people putting together their first setup.

I have three traditional filters in like 700hp and it’s plenty. I often don’t even need a filter. Get a low pass gate for something different if you are hellbent on something along the lines of a filter.
franman69
uVCF is usually my goto filter.. creamy and versatile. wouldn't want to lose this one.
laneo
insoul8 wrote:
In that case, depending on how big your rack is, I’d probably advise against using that much space for filters. I’m sure there are a number of utilities that would be better suited and are typically overlooked by people putting together their first setup.

I have three traditional filters in like 700hp and it’s plenty. I often don’t even need a filter. Get a low pass gate for something different if you are hellbent on something along the lines of a filter.

This is my rack. I already bought everything in there. If anyone have a suggestion on what should I get on those 6HP instead of the VCF, please let me know.
Btw, I own a Cirklon (that can also generate envelopes since the last firmware).

Thanks again

j259
Maybe Shades or Triatt.
laneo
j259 wrote:
Maybe Shades or Triatt.

On the bottom-right there 2 "Attenuhaters": https://www.modulargrid.net/e/other-unknown-attenuhater

Maybe Shades or Triatt would be a little more of the same?

Btw, I´ve read in the forums that uFold may be a good addition for 6HP.
slumberjack
laneo wrote:
j259 wrote:
Maybe Shades or Triatt.

On the bottom-right there 2 "Attenuhaters": https://www.modulargrid.net/e/other-unknown-attenuhater

Maybe Shades or Triatt would be a little more of the same?

Btw, I´ve read in the forums that uFold may be a good addition for 6HP.

then for me it lacks a full eg. quadra is nice sure i love it but sometimes an adsr gives you a richer tone.

if filter i'd go for a diode modules. or sob filter pairs very well with polaris.
JohnLRice
Another vote for the Happy Nerding MMM VCF! SlayerBadger! Very versatile and sounds great!
Blairio
Rather than a filter, what about a wave folder - a sort of reverse filter, which adds harmonics, rather than subtracts them. It will give you different timbres, and compliment your subtractive filters.

I use an Intellijel uFold (mk1) which is 6HP, and the change it can bring to a simple sine wave is quite remarkable.
cptnal
Shapeshifter has a wave folder that can be used independently of its oscillators. It's based on the uFold circuit. Doesn't have the symmetry control, but adding a DC offset to the input signal can achieve a similar result. thumbs up
Jenseits
I‘d put in 2 pico drums. But i‘m not you and you might have a different approach. I‘d never ask anyone what to buy for x hp because i‘d have a 1000 ideas myself and playing around with these ideas in my head is a big part of the fun to me smile
orbita
Another disting(for flexibility) and 2hp module (verb, mult..)
operator808
Since you already have a lot of filtering options covered in Polaris and Three Sisters, I would advise getting three 2hp modules to fill that space. They are inexpensive and your current rack could benefit from stuff lke 2hp Logic, maybe the 2hp Freeze for fun or even a 2hp Turing Machine or Quantizer.

Good luck!

x
electricfence
I recently got a Sub Ring to fill up a 6hp space in a small rack, and it has quite a few nice features.
laneo
Thanks for advising against a third filter. Now I realized it might be too much for 208hp.

I´ll check the other modules you are recommending to fill that space. A second disting + a 2hp might work.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1