Phil Jones P-1

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Cat-A-Tonic
Lobsters love Muff

Phil Jones P-1

Post by Cat-A-Tonic » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:22 pm

Woot Woot! :hyper:
I just bought a Phil Jones P-1 preamp for a bargain.
It should play nicely with my upright bass. I'm so stoked!
It is reportedly very clean sounding, with a very nice (albeit simple)compressor, parametric eq, and graphic eq.
It should prove useful for recording, and if I ever get around to buying a power amp and a speaker cab it should make for a very powerful live rig.

Does anyone use their bass amp for microphones, keys, and modulars?
I imagine the active bass input is still not expecting enough juice to match up to modular signals.
Hmmm. Maybe I'll have to consider a reamp or one of those PCP Little Labs gizmos to match up impedances.
In the meantime attenuation should suffice for those purposes.

johnnymad
turbo wiggler

Post by johnnymad » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:04 pm

i've used my swr workingman's 15 with all of the above. i always use the active/passive input though. never tried the active input with anything other than my electric basses.

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:14 am

that's cool!

does your upright have pickups?

i've been playing electric bass a lot myself recently (will post about it later).

i use that little fender champ you saw when you came over for bass sometimes, you have to be really careful with levels or it farts out, but it has a great vintage sound and it's nice to mic it up in combination with a d.i. signal for recording.

Cat-A-Tonic
Lobsters love Muff

Post by Cat-A-Tonic » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:34 am

does your upright have pickups?
I use an Upton Revolution Solo II in the wing of the bass side of the bridge.
I use a ceramic EPM piezo behind the fingerboard.
When I have it strung with steel I use a handwound magnetic pickup that sticks to the end of the fingerboard with industrial velcro.
Right now it is strung with Olive colored, Kevlar-core Nylon.
If I want to mic it up I'll use a pair of binaurals.

I really want a boundary mic to aid in recording this.

I'll probably use the Phil Jones with the Rev. Solo, or the handmade magnetic the most.
I also use a Boss Bass Parametric EQ,
and a SSB-2 Soundshaper Preamp (with LCD display).

The EPM has a noticeably short frequency response and buzzy piezo sound when not properly impedance matched.
The SSB-2 dramatically corrects this, and allows you to dial in just the right of EQ for the fingerboard slaps.
It even has memory!

johnnymad
turbo wiggler

Post by johnnymad » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:26 am

i've been trying to figure out which pickup to use on my upright for years. right now, i have a david gage realist pickup. it's ok, but it could be better. i also use an audio technica clip on mic sometimes. i need to get a two channel mixer and blend the two signals. then i'd get the warmth of the mic and the volume of the pickup. anybody tried this?

Cat-A-Tonic
Lobsters love Muff

Post by Cat-A-Tonic » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:20 am

The P-1 arrived today! :party:
It has incredible build quality.
It sounds pretty damn great on guitar too.
The sound is so clean and detailed that I'll have to get less sloppy in my playing.
I don't notice ANY noise being added by the limiter/compressor.
The whole thing seems very transparent and very flexible...
aahhh honeymoon.

flts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flts » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:34 pm

I've been very intrigued about P1 at some point, being a sunday bassist and wanting to have sort of all in one preamp / comp / practise amp box to lug around... It's not on the top of my shopping list unless I manage to find one used in EU at good price, and I might DIY some stuff at some point, but it definitely seems like a cool package!

I'd be grateful about any further comments and impressions once you use it a bit more.

Edit: Damn, I was actually thinking about the Bass Buddy micro preamp, but I'd still be interested in how P1 performs!

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”