MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

MS20 vs Belgrad for ambient
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author MS20 vs Belgrad for ambient
Wedoh
What do you guys think are these filters benefits in a ambient rack?
I cant descide ;-)..
lisa
I think a reverb might be more crucial.
Wedoh
lisa wrote:

That is true. I already have a clouds. I am concidering z-dsp and 4ms dld as a effect. Also Magneto
Mark20
What about

1010music fxbox
Radikal Technologies RT-1701 EFFEXX

alternative to tiptop z-dsp ?
starthief
Where it comes to filters, I'd say go for something flexible unless you're looking for a specific character that you like.

Belgrad is very flexible.
lud
I'd say the ms20 filter isn't the most obvious choice for ambient music, better for dance, industrial - something a bit louder and more screamy.
Ambient is very vague - new age? Kosmiche? Dark? Experimental?
BaloErets
I think the Belgrad would be an excellent choice for ambient music. There are so many beautiful tones to get out of it. So many sweet spots too.
AW198
I've never owned Belgrad but I have owned a Korgasmatron II (MS 20 clone). The MS20 is quite aggressive and probably isn't really the type of thing you want for ambient.

On the other hand, Belgrad has a pretty good reputation, and I think the possible filter combinations in it look great for morphing ambient music.
cptnal
Just to be obtuse I'll suggest the opposite. Ambient needn't be all wooshy and smooth. Listen to Hainbach for instance. A lot of his sound is lo-fi, crackly, distorted, but at the same time very gentle.

It's been said before but modules don't care what music you make with them. By all means watch what others do and copy them if you like their style. An alternative path might be to go for modules you like the sound of and carve out your own voice.

As lisa suggests, if all else fails, smother it in reverb. Dead Banana

But above all, have fun. This is fun!
dooj88
cptnal wrote:
Just to be obtuse I'll suggest the opposite. Ambient needn't be all wooshy and smooth. Listen to Hainbach for instance. A lot of his sound is lo-fi, crackly, distorted, but at the same time very gentle.

It's been said before but modules don't care what music you make with them. By all means watch what others do and copy them if you like their style. An alternative path might be to go for modules you like the sound of and carve out your own voice.

preach. you don't want an indiscernible soupy sludge (or maybe you do.. but those tracks litter the internet. i know, i've made some..) i learned grit is an essential part of making engaging droney hypnotic music. i recently got a polivoks filter, and the nastiest of the nasty, a plague bearer. working those resulting textures into a cohesive mix is fun and always sounds great.
starthief
I agree with the above, but that doesn't change my stance on Belgrad... it can get plenty aggressive or dirty.
j259
dooj88 wrote:
cptnal wrote:

preach. you don't want an indiscernible soupy sludge (or maybe you do.. but those tracks litter the internet. i know, i've made some..) i learned grit is an essential part of making engaging droney hypnotic music. i recently got a polivoks filter, and the nastiest of the nasty, a plague bearer. working those resulting textures into a cohesive mix is fun and always sounds great.

To be fair, crackly distorted lo-fi junky and guitar pedal ambient is pretty cliched at this point as well, so probably you both meant going beyond that sound.

That said, Hainbach is always bringing new textures to the table, and is a good example of genre development.

But speaking of non-mellow, some of the best ambient I've heard are those youtube Waldorf demos by synth4ever.
huffnPuff
I’m intrigued by the Rossum Morpheus.

Reverb is cool, feedback loop through a filtered reverb all the more so.
st_corbin
Wedoh wrote:
lisa wrote:

That is true. I already have a clouds. I am concidering z-dsp and 4ms dld as a effect. Also Magneto

Add to the chorus and say belgrad. It’s quite an amazing filter. I’d also look into the Erbe verb. I think it can do some great textural stuff that’s good for ambient.
BaloErets
starthief wrote:
I agree with the above, but that doesn't change my stance on Belgrad... it can get plenty aggressive or dirty.

+1 on that! Part of the reason for suggesting Belgrad is on par with the fact that it can be buttery smooth or quite agressive and dirty. Tito takes good care of the latter thumbs up
Aja
I'll go against the grain and say that the MS20 filter is just about perfect for ambient music, particularly because it has both high and low-pass filters. In my own ambient music-making I found that often I'd come up with a huge sound that ended up being too much for a mix, so being able to carve out the right frequency is really useful to me.

The other aspect is the resonance. I've done a couple live gigs with the MS20 into a reverb, and for parts I'd just play a giant sustained note and slowly move the cutoff and resonance knobs on both filters to get all kinds of interesting harmonics and distortion.

For all my stupid obsessing over modular gear, I could probably make a great ambient album with just an MS20, a delay, and a reverb.

Here's an example of a short track made entirely with an MS20, delay pedal, and reverb plugin.
Catchthehare
Belgrad FTW. Makes for a fantastic oscillator also. thumbs up
Buttons ARE toys
Aja wrote:
I'll go against the grain and say that the MS20 filter is just about perfect for ambient music, particularly because it has both high and low-pass filters. In my own ambient music-making I found that often I'd come up with a huge sound that ended up being too much for a mix, so being able to carve out the right frequency is really useful to me.

The other aspect is the resonance. I've done a couple live gigs with the MS20 into a reverb, and for parts I'd just play a giant sustained note and slowly move the cutoff and resonance knobs on both filters to get all kinds of interesting harmonics and distortion.

Guinness ftw! Agreed. The MS-20 filter can do some dirt, but it's capable of so much more. Having separate resonance control over the high and low passes is great for isolating the tones you want to come through. The Belgrad is very flexible as well, but you get one resonance control for both filter peaks.

Either would sound excellent, so maybe try and decide which control scheme appeals to you more? You get the interesting span and balance controls with Belgrad. MS-20 has more control over the individual filter behaviors but would take a few more patch cables to create some of the modulations that Belgrad is designed for.
scuto
Aja wrote:
Here's an example of a short track made entirely with an MS20, delay pedal, and reverb plugin.

This is lovely! Was it done in one take or multitracked? And do you have more?
Aja
Thank you! The MS20’s monophonic, so it was done in many layers. I like building up chords one note at a time with it.

I do have more, but nothing released. I’m still trying to figure out what and how to release. I’m planning to do it this year some time.
nihilicious
scuto wrote:
Aja wrote:

This is lovely! Was it done in one take or multitracked? And do you have more?

Seconded. Holy smokes, this is gorgeous.
scuto
Aja wrote:
Thank you! The MS20’s monophonic, so it was done in many layers. I like building up chords one note at a time with it.

I do have more, but nothing released. I’m still trying to figure out what and how to release. I’m planning to do it this year some time.

Indeed, I was ready to be even more impressed if you had multiple MS-20s, or were using the filters as oscs, too. Nicely-built chords.

My favorite outlet for releases is Bandcamp, but YMMV. Will keep my eyes on this thread for a release!
Aja
It’ll be on Bandcamp for sure. You guys’ comments have motivated me to get the tracks together. I have a lot recorded but I don’t like all of it, so I want to decide which to keep and maybe what needs to be added for cohesion. I’ll send you a PM when it’s online smile
thetwlo
Wedoh wrote:
What do you guys think are these filters benefits in a ambient rack?
I cant descide ;-)..

which MS20?
Wedoh
A big thanks to you all!
I actually bought the Morgasmatron eventually.
Its a hard choice, they both will work great probably, but give the music a different flavour. Actually what appeals me with Belgrad over the Morgasmatron is the eas of use. But hopefully using Morgasmatron will keep me from also buying the real MS-20. I don't have space for more synths! grin If I one day buy the MS-20, then I for sure will go for Belgrad.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2