MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

How to patch various clock and reset outs efficiently?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author How to patch various clock and reset outs efficiently?
StateAzure
My rack right now is a nightmare of cables, before an actual (musical) patch has begun. My plan was to set up a base patch, with everything clocked and reset properly, including delays that require clocks.

It's basically like this:

Hermod (main clock/reset/start-stop) >

> PNW clk in (5 freakin channels used)

PNW outputs:

> 1/4 clock into 2hp unbuffered mult via stackable also into Chance clk in
> reset into Eloquencer rst in
> 1/4 clock in Eloquencer clk in
> rst into VB + (mult cable) + Brains rst in (thank fck these resets work the same)
> 1.5 clk division into Disting mk4 (ping-pong) mult cable into Tapographic

Eloquencer clk out to VB

Mult module outputs:
> Marbles clk in
> G8 clk divider clk in
> Brains clk in
> uClouds clk in

Granted, most of these modules are spread all over the rack hence it looks a mess. and I could also free up another output on PNW if I could merge the 1/4 Eloquencer clk with the other multed 1/4s but it's maxed out, and I'm surprised there aren't timing issues actually, but it sounds ok.

What's the best way to clean this up and make it more efficient?

I'm thinking investing in a buffered multi, then placing that next to PNW. Then moving all the sequencers next to each other and near PNW. It wont solve the issue with almost everything requiring different resets though!

I wish I could use the Aux out from Eloquencer to trigger a reset on VB (to free up another PNW output), but it doesn't work properly because Eloquencer doesn't acknowledge a start/stop when it is controlled via another sequencer ie Hermod
p@@@nts
Oh weird- I was just wondering the same thing earlier this morning!

So I’ve done what you’re considering- I have one of those synthrotech 4hp buffered mults that handles clock and reset distribution of my intelligel umidi clock.

It works great, and I do have most of my clocked modules near each other, but here’s my issue (and the whole reason I’m posting this): having the clocked stuff clustered up makes the pre-patched cable density even more desnse, which is kind of annoying in itself. It’s like there’s always this knot of crap sitting there and it detracts from that nice blank slate feeling when starting a patch. But it’s nice to not have to repatch all that every time, so I don’t know.

I’m just saying keep that in mind, because I’m not sure what’s better aesthetically speaking.
Oldstench
Have you considered replicating your rack/patch on Modular Grid?

You could share the image here. Some of us need visual aids. smile
subdo
I use a QCD for this but if you don't want to clock things at various divisions you could just use a mult or just stackcables. I try to keep the modules that require clocks near the QCD and I have what your describing, a sort of perma-patch with the shortest cables that can reach. For resets I just use stackcables but it's a little more arbitrary because I use resets differently depending on the patch and often have things resetting at different intervals.
Jasonic
I just patch my standard clock setup as step one. I don’t mind patching it, and I kind of like that its a warm up patch that is just about auto pilot. I think of what I am going to patch while I get my clocks and resets ready for sync.
StateAzure
Well this is how it looks at the moment: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/702329

I like my sequencers at the bottom.
I did have PNW at the top left, but since moved it next to VB and just above the Elo, that's made things a bit more tidy. Obviously PP + Brains isn't in an ideal spot yet and my delays I like to keep right near my mixers, as I use them mostly as Send FX via the Pragas.

The G8 is used for clock division, and clearly not in this best spot..or is it? with a higher speed than standard clock to the G8 I think I can get the 1.5 division I need for my delays.

I feel it is necessary for me to keep at least a basic clock/reset set up as a default patch, simply because some sequencers only patch a certain way. For instance, Hermod has to be the main clock and reset, or else everything breaks down, as Hermod lacks reset in options.

Question: Is a buffered multiple a better idea in this situation? I'm a bit concerned the passive multiple module im using is going to lead to issues once i start triggering notes etc
R.U.Nuts
This is a pic of my system unpatched. As you can see I have a special solution for my mults: Two 0,5U rows with ten passive multiples, three on/off switches and five passive attenuators.

And here it's patched:

This is the patch I use for almost all my recordings and for live shows. It's the result of months of planning and experimenting (not pictured: The mixing desk and two stompboxes)
I also put quite a lot of effort into cable management. But this is pretty much the best I could do Dead Banana
Anyway: That's about a hundred cables on 10U and it looked even worse in the past.
A few observations I made: At first I thought I should always use the shortest cables for each connection just to reduce the sheer mass of copper all over the place. That was wrong: Using the shortest cables possible will result in cable nests that are almost rigid because the slightest push puts them under tension. Now I use long cables instead and where possible I lay them around the case and not across. Then I use these little wires that are used to tie cables together in packagings of consumer electronics stuff. You frequently see guys like richard devine using velcro ties to tie cables together but those big velcro thingies just add bulk in my case.
Furthermore: I tried to avoid modules with dense panels where possible. And I try to avoid modules without built in attenuators because external attenuators again add patch cables.
P.S.: Sorry but somehow I couldn't manage to get the second pic rotated the right way...
StateAzure
Thanks for sharing your experience! Some good info there. I did try the velcro thing too, and you're right it does at quite a bit of bulk so I'll give your idea a try soon. not much I can do about those handy 0.5u rows though.

I've updated a copy of my MG case and moved a bunch of stuff around. And this probably would create a nest of cables, but I think it's a bit better laid out, with most of the cabling for clocks etc mostly toward the left side of the case.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/719272

Only now it looks ugly!
R.U.Nuts
StateAzure wrote:
Thanks for sharing your experience! Some good info there. I did try the velcro thing too, and you're right it does at quite a bit of bulk so I'll give your idea a try soon. not much I can do about those handy 0.5u rows though.

I've updated a copy of my MG case and moved a bunch of stuff around. And this probably would create a nest of cables, but I think it's a bit better laid out, with most of the cabling for clocks etc mostly toward the left side of the case.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/719272

Only now it looks ugly!

Well, maybe the most effective trick I described is to use fairly long cables (seeing your system they might need to be ridiculously long, I must admit). Especially if the modules which will have a lot of cables inserted are located at the edges of your rack you then can wrap the cables around the edges of your case instead of having them lying/hanging all across your system.
Foghorn
Have you considered trying to put a master timing clock signal on the buss.

Quite a number of modules have inputs that will look at the gate buss, I use this for a master clock.

And, a number of modules have clock divider types of control over their timing inputs.
These allow the master clock to be used to drive way different timing signals.

Anyway, take a look at the modules that you have and see if any can use the buss for timing or gate signals.
Usually it is just a matter of setting a jumper on the back of the module.

This can cut way down on the initial clutter of a patch.

Foghorn
StateAzure
Foghorn wrote:
Have you considered trying to put a master timing clock signal on the buss.

Quite a number of modules have inputs that will look at the gate buss, I use this for a master clock.

And, a number of modules have clock divider types of control over their timing inputs.
These allow the master clock to be used to drive way different timing signals.

Anyway, take a look at the modules that you have and see if any can use the buss for timing or gate signals.
Usually it is just a matter of setting a jumper on the back of the module.

This can cut way down on the initial clutter of a patch.

Foghorn

Thanks for the info Foghorn, I'll look into that. I remember when I had my Varigate that it could be set to sync with the VB via the bus, but never considered others might be able to do that.
evileye0702
I think the suggestion of multiples and/or stack cables is a good approach. You don't need buffered mults for clocks/gates/triggers though. A passive mult will suffice.

I wish I had 1U row for this purpose. That would keep it tidier. Instead I have a few multiples scattered around the system. I also use stack cables.
cptnal
This might give you some ideas...

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1