MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Stereo Effects with CV inputs
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Stereo Effects with CV inputs
WytchCrypt
Hi all,

I'm looking to expand my Arturia MatrixBrute with some Eurorack effects modules (or a single standalone unit). The thing is, it has to be stereo and must accept CV inputs. Actually, the MxB does have 2 outputs so I could always use 2 matching mono effects modules. The MxB has a nice CV I/O patch bay built in and I think it would be cool to control some effects with those while running the MxB audio through them. The MxB does have an analog effects module, but it's only 1 active effect at a time and I'm looking for something wilder.

I'm not looking for kits, just pre-built/tested modules ready to plug into a powered Eurorack. Recommendations?

Thanks!
t0nmontana
Schippmann has a clearance sale on his stereo diode low pass and stereo diode high pass filters. Pretty rad versatile filters, especially when you add a few utility modules to and start exploring filter combo's. His stereo super phaser is also quite amazing, but you'll have to track on down, and they ain't cheap! Metasonix dual VCA is pretty great for stereo destruction. I also have a pair of Intellijel Springray II's, cause stereo spring reverb.
Kent
st_corbin
Not sure what sound your going for but here’s a couple options:
Mutable Instruments Clouds
2hp Verb
Dave Smith DSM02 Character module
Make noise Erbe Verb
Audio Damage AD11 Dimensions
dumbledog
Joranalogue Compare2 can turn waveforms into stereo PWM weirdness, but will need help via modulation of its cv inputs.

For a stereo filter, I use a pair of 4hp Pingable MMFs from WMD/SSF.

For mono to stereo, Something that takes a signal and spits out min/max, such as an MI Kinks or Erica Pico Logic A.
letitbleep
i think it's misleading to call the z-dsp a stereo effects processor. it has two channels, but the different algorithms treat those two channels in a number of different ways. some of the delay algorithms sum the two inputs, for instance. i wish i had taken a better look at the manual and figured that out before i bought one!
Shwaj
Rainmaker! It's peanut butter jelly time!
Buttons ARE toys
Jomox T-Rackonizer is stereo and capable of some wild stuff.
Strymon Magneto is a 4 tap stereo delay / spring reverb emulator
Modcan has a dual delay, dual phaser, dual frequency shifter that can be used as stereo effects.

Try going on modulargrid.com and sort the modules by Primary Function: effect and Secondary Function: dual/stereo
porphyrion
MxB has a great and very unique fx-section once you patch it in the matrix imo.

What are you looking for that the MxB lacks? Convincing reverbs, looping delays, freq shift, digital mayhem (bitcrushing, granular)...? Or perhaps another filter or a filterbank?
WytchCrypt
porphyrion wrote:
MxB has a great and very unique fx-section once you patch it in the matrix imo.

What are you looking for that the MxB lacks? Convincing reverbs, looping delays, freq shift, digital mayhem (bitcrushing, granular)...? Or perhaps another filter or a filterbank?

The MxB fx section is cool, especially when patched in the matrix...except that you can only run 1 effect at a time waah That's my only disappointment in the synth and is what I'm trying to address by putting together a Eurorack fx unit. I'm basically looking for a stereo multi-fx w/CV-in to supplement the MxB fx, preferably in an all-in-one unit I don't have to assemble myself It's peanut butter jelly time!

As far as types of fx...multi tap delays (the crazier the better), phase shift, looping, better reverb, other crazy things I didn't know existed, etc. I want to create as much stereo-panning-insanity (integrated with the MxB CV-out) as possible.

I recognize that the answer may not be a single Eurorack multi-fx module, but a small group of them...but I have to start somewhere so here I am help

And thanks to all who've made suggestions so far, you've given me a lot to thing about and research we're not worthy
mdoudoroff
Nearly all stereo DSP effects sum the L&R before processing, and then generate a stereo result. The stereo result is then merged back into the stereo inputs via dry/wet. I’m not sure what the (few) exceptions are, but the Rainmaker is one of them.

Many DSP delay effects—particularly those delivered via FV-1—aren’t clockable, so if clocking delays is important to you, then factor that in.
Kent
letitbleep wrote:
i think it's misleading to call the z-dsp a stereo effects processor. it has two channels, but the different algorithms treat those two channels in a number of different ways. some of the delay algorithms sum the two inputs, for instance. i wish i had taken a better look at the manual and figured that out before i bought one!

The unit itself is true stereo.
Bishop Dust
Our upcoming Shakmat Gemini s path will achieve stereo amplitude effects here is the existing topic :

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=201431&highlight=
cityz3n
I use 2 echophons as stereo delay.
This really works amazing.
You can change delays/overtones/clocks independently for left and right.
I got this idea when I saw this little YouTube clip from Daniel Lanois,
where he uses a lexicon prime time 93.
That was a little over my budget.
(The YouTube clip is “OPERA” Daniel Lanois)
It’s a great kinda semi improvised remix of a song of his.
Check it out!
letitbleep
Kent wrote:
letitbleep wrote:

The unit itself is true stereo.

the unit itself has 2 channels. some of the available algorithms are true stereo.
letitbleep
mdoudoroff wrote:
Nearly all stereo DSP effects sum the L&R before processing, and then generate a stereo result. The stereo result is then merged back into the stereo inputs via dry/wet. I’m not sure what the (few) exceptions are, but the Rainmaker is one of them.

presumably you're referring to stereo dsp effects in euro. i've used dozens of true stereo pedal and rack effects seriously, i just don't get it
mdoudoroff
letitbleep wrote:
mdoudoroff wrote:

presumably you're referring to stereo dsp effects in euro. i've used dozens of true stereo pedal and rack effects seriously, i just don't get it

Well… that depends. You’ve got a left and a right signal coming in. Then what? You can process them in parallel (separately). That’s easy enough, but then you’ve basically got two mono effects, panned left and right. That’s “true stereo” in a sense. Rossum Morpheus is like that. But a lot of effects (e.g., reverb) are supposed to generate spatial results so that derived material from L may wind up in R, and vice-versa. So do you now have two separate DSP streams with some sort of complexity that somehow integrates bits of R into L and bits of L into R while maintaining them otherwise discrete? And is the hassle worth it in the end? All this is just a long winded way of pointing out that stereo ins for delays and reverbs are often more about dry/wet signal flow than the actual effect being generated. So, mono-in/stereo-out, particularly in modular, isn’t necessarily much of a compromise.
letitbleep
mdoudoroff wrote:
letitbleep wrote:
mdoudoroff wrote:

Well… that depends. You’ve got a left and a right signal coming in. Then what? You can process them in parallel (separately). That’s easy enough, but then you’ve basically got two mono effects, panned left and right. That’s “true stereo” in a sense. Rossum Morpheus is like that. But a lot of effects (e.g., reverb) are supposed to generate spatial results so that derived material from L may wind up in R, and vice-versa. So do you now have two separate DSP streams with some sort of complexity that somehow integrates bits of R into L and bits of L into R while maintaining them otherwise discrete? And is the hassle worth it in the end? All this is just a long winded way of pointing out that stereo ins for delays and reverbs are often more about dry/wet signal flow than the actual effect being generated. So, mono-in/stereo-out, particularly in modular, isn’t necessarily much of a compromise.

yeah obviously you're going to want to handle reverb in a particular way with stereo. there are different solutions available, and they will be more or less appropriate based on whether you're using reverb as a conventional mixing effect or as a wacky creative effect. i became very accustomed to true stereo delay effect chains outside of euro. i found that the way that the z-dsp handled stereo somewhat frustrating, so i thought i'd mention it to the original poster. it's not clear what exactly they are looking for, but maybe more information about how stereo works in euro will be helpful for them.
pugix
Erica Black Hole DSP has stereo in and out. All five knobs have corresponding CV inputs.
mskala
letitbleep wrote:
the unit itself has 2 channels. some of the available algorithms are true stereo.

I don't understand this distinction.
danfastlikeflan
Although only mono in, he ssf Doppler can produce some wild stereo effects. It’s not a clean delay but it’s got lots of character and is very modulatable.
letitbleep
mskala wrote:
letitbleep wrote:

did you read the thread?
mskala
letitbleep wrote:
mskala wrote:
letitbleep wrote:

did you read the thread?

Yes, and it contains some examples but no definitions.
ben_hex
Think about gain staging and getting your matrix brute up to modular levels. This is often overlooked because plugging in straight into modular will work, but it’s not ideal.

If your matrix brute is line level you’re nearly 10x quieter than modular (1volt peak to peak line, 10volt peak to peak modular). So you’ll be operating much closer to the noise floor of the system.

There’s a range of modules both inputs and outputs that will handle this for you.
continuum
mdoudoroff wrote:

Many DSP delay effects—particularly those delivered via FV-1—aren’t clockable, so if clocking delays is important to you, then factor that in.

Not true at all. The Clocked Delays card for the ZDSP does exactly that. It took a few months for me to write it, but it does work with the proper clock input.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2