MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Suggestions for the ultimate sequencer case
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Suggestions for the ultimate sequencer case
VOLTA
I have zero experience with eurorack. But i am considering building a system with sequencer only modules to be able to sequence software synths in Studio One.

Any suggestions how this setup would look like?. I already have doepfer dark time and maq 16/3 so the idea is to replace these standalone units with a more versatile and "all in one system". Any suggestions?
Antlerface
Rene, Marbles, O_C, Pressure Points/Brains would be my go to for that.
orbita
Are you planning on sequencing more than just gate and pitch of the vst? If so how? And if not it doesn't really seem worth it, might as well get a couple of oscillators and some modulation. You'll be missing out on most of the fun for a large amount of the cost.
Agawell
get a beatstep pro or 2
VOLTA
Agawell wrote:
get a beatstep pro or 2

So youre telling me that a beatstep pro is more compatible than anything thats available in the market of eurorack modules, when it comes to sequence software synths?
synkrotron
VOLTA wrote:
Agawell wrote:
get a beatstep pro or 2

So youre telling me that a beatstep pro is more compatible than anything thats available in the market of eurorack modules, when it comes to sequence software synths?

If all you intend to do is sequence VSTi then yes.

As suggested above, you might as well take the next step and go modular for everything.

All I am using Studio One for at the moment is recording multi track performance...
VOLTA
orbita wrote:
Are you planning on sequencing more than just gate and pitch of the vst? If so how? And if not it doesn't really seem worth it, might as well get a couple of oscillators and some modulation. You'll be missing out on most of the fun for a large amount of the cost.

Maybe filter cutoff as well, if possible. I dont know how. Is it limited to pitch and gate only?
VOLTA
synkrotron wrote:
VOLTA wrote:
Agawell wrote:
get a beatstep pro or 2

If all you intend to do is sequence VSTi then yes.

As suggested above, you might as well take the next step and go modular for everything.

All I am using Studio One for at the moment is recording multi track performance...

May i ask why the beatstep pro is a better choice than building a modular system?
Yes Powder
VOLTA wrote:
I have zero experience with eurorack. But i am considering building a system with sequencer only modules to be able to sequence software synths in Studio One.

VOLTA wrote:
May i ask why the beatstep pro is a better choice than building a modular system?

Not sure what you intend to accomplish using analog control voltages to control softsynths. I mean it's not impossible if you have the right kind of interface, it's just that… why?
It's like using a LearJet to go down the street to get your groceries.
A Beatstep Pro is way cheaper, and will probably give you more control. Hell, you could buy two for the price of just a René and a power-supply to run it, and they'll interface much more easily with your computer and have more functions.
VOLTA
Yes Powder wrote:
VOLTA wrote:

VOLTA wrote:

Not sure what you intend to accomplish using analog control voltages to control softsynths. I mean it's not impossible if you have the right kind of interface, it's just that… why?
It's like using a LearJet to go down the street to get your groceries.
A Beatstep Pro is way cheaper, and will probably give you more control. Hell, you could buy two for the price of just a René and a power-supply to run it, and they'll interface much more easily with your computer and have more functions.

In order to better understand something i lack knowledge of, it seems rational and logical to ask WHY. Who have said i want to control softsynths using cv?
Im pretty sure there are some cv to midi converter modules. Or isnt there midi out on any of the sequencer modules available? I dont care about the price and i wouldnt trade my dark time or maq 16 for 15 beatsteps pro.

I have owned dt and maq for a couple of years and have had lots of fun sequencing softsynths. Maybe im just easy to amuse. So the whole idea was to have something similar only in an eurorack system. It doesnt mean i will NEVER EVER get synth voice modules later on.
Yes Powder
VOLTA wrote:
Who have said i want to control softsynths using cv?

Quote:
Im pretty sure there are some cv to midi convertermodules.

So you'd be controlling VSTs with CV. You can be pedantic and say that it's CV to MIDI, but it's in essence still via CV.
Quote:
Or isnt there midi out on any of the sequencer modules available?

If they're analog sequencers in module form, no.
Quote:
I dont care about the price

Must be nice…
Quote:
i wouldnt trade my dark time or maq 16 for 15 beatsteps pro.

But you could sell them on the used market to buy back the MAQ16 and DarkTime and still have five or six Beatstep Pros left over! Miley Cyrus

Kidding aside, nobody's asking you to trade anything for anything. And it sounds like you already have two good very good sequencers that have MIDI output.
We're just saying that what you're looking to do isn't as practical as you seem to think it is especially since there are tens or hundreds of MIDI controllers on the market that are more suited for this, and you'll find that setting up softsynths to work via CV->MIDI is just as much— if not more of a process than just using MIDI.
But whatever, if you really wanna rube-goldberg yourself a really expensive MIDI controller, get an Arc Modular TKB, René, and Pamela's New Workout.
synkrotron
Yes, there are loads of options for controlling VSTi with modular sequencers, it's just the cost that would put me off.

But good luck with this and I wish you well smile

cheers

andy
blackjam
+1 on Rene, though might be good to have a more controllable seq too
euromorcego
VOLTA wrote:

Any suggestions how this setup would look like?. I already have doepfer dark time and maq 16/3 so the idea is to replace these standalone units with a more versatile and "all in one system". Any suggestions?

as others have said, a eurorack setup that sequences software is certainly possible but a bit clunky.

The most obvious thing would be to stick with software sequencer and use a good hardware controller. There are super fun sw sequencers that are cheaper but as "modular" as anything you get in hw. Also iPad has some nice sequencer (Fugue machine, etc ...) ... all they lack is a good interface.

Other than that: there are a number of excellent HW sequencers that also have cv inputs, like the Squarp Pyramid.

If it really has to be a eurorack sequencer, I'd probably wait for the Five12 "Numerology" eurorack sequencer. It has midi out, so you can go straight to the sw. And then add some modular to modulate the sequencer itself.

The only point of a eurorack sequencer, after all, is that you can modulate some parameters.

I would avoid cv-midi interfaces, never used one (so i might be completely wrong) but i would guess that you'll have nothing but trouble with latency and inconsistencies between gate time and pitch cv. So it could be a fun thing sometimes, but as a regular "main" setup, cv-to-midi sound like pain.

ps. I actually wished more eurorack sequencer (those who are digital) would have a midi out ... even if just as an option/header on the back. I think a metropolis to control some midi synths would be fun, in particular when using the cv inputs for modulation! And why does the eloquencer does not have a midi output?
VOLTA
[quote="Yes Powder"]
VOLTA wrote:
Who have said i want to control softsynths using cv?

Quote:
Im pretty sure there are some cv to midi convertermodules.

So you'd be controlling VSTs with CV. You can be pedantic and say that it's CV to MIDI, but it's in essence still via CV.
Quote:
Or isnt there midi out on any of the sequencer modules available?

If they're analog sequencers in module form, no.
Quote:
I dont care about the price

Must be nice…
Quote:
i wouldnt trade my dark time or maq 16 for 15 beatsteps pro.

But you could sell them on the used market to buy back the MAQ16 and DarkTime and still have five or six Beatstep Pros left over! Miley Cyrus

Kidding aside, nobody's asking you to trade anything for anything. And it sounds like you already have two good very good sequencers that have MIDI output.
We're just saying that what you're looking to do isn't as practical as you seem to think it is especially since there are tens or hundreds of MIDI controllers on the market that are more suited for this, and you'll find that setting up softsynths to work via CV->MIDI is just as much— if not more of a process than just using MIDI.
But whatever, if you really wanna rube-goldberg yourself a really expensive MIDI controller, get an Arc Modular TKB, René, and Pamela's New Workout.[/quoteI

Can you explain that process in more details?

I dont know who ruby goldgerb is, but to me its just a matter of priorities.
Id rather spend money on equipment that suits my needs and my workflow than buying stuff because its cheap. Because im 100% sure that the cheap stuff will be sold about a year later. Its bad investment. And waste of time.
When it comes to the hundreds of midi controllers on the market its just to bad all of them feels like plastic pieces of crap. God knows how many hours ive wasted to search for a midi controller. Livid elements modular eurorack midi controller is perhaps a good choice though.
VOLTA
synkrotron wrote:
Yes, there are loads of options for controlling VSTi with modular sequencers, it's just the cost that would put me off.

But good luck with this and I wish you well smile

cheers

andy

Why is this more expensive?
Can you give some examples?
lisa
VOLTA wrote:
Id rather spend money on equipment that suits my needs and my workflow than buying stuff because its cheap.

What is your workflow? You didn’t really say. You just asked about a setup that makes little sense to most of us and your reasons are quite obfuscated thus far.

Do you just have a feeling that Eurorack might be the answer since you didn’t find anything that made you happy elsewhere or do you have some kind of intelligible reasoning behind your quest?
synkrotron
I've got a beatstep pro which was £150 and has 3 sequence sections and a metropolis which has a simple 8 Step sequence and costs around
£500.

However, in some ways the metropolis is better for certain things...

I can't advise on anything else but by all accounts eloquencer is a great modular sequencer.
roya
Er-101 + Er-102 + Rene
synkrotron
Are you intending to create sequences on the fly or program stuff up front and then press play? Or a bit of both?
VOLTA
lisa wrote:
VOLTA wrote:
Id rather spend money on equipment that suits my needs and my workflow than buying stuff because its cheap.

What is your workflow? You didn’t really say. You just asked about a setup that makes little sense to most of us and your reasons are quite obfuscated thus far.

Do you just have a feeling that Eurorack might be the answer since you didn’t find anything that made you happy elsewhere or do you have some kind of intelligible reasoning behind your quest?

I am not questioning anyones experience here. And im not after doing anything special if its just too much hassle. If there were a good midi controller made for vst sequencers id probably go for that instead. But since i prefer one knob per function its hard to find that kind of controller and thats why id much rather use real modules instead and start building a system. Another main reason is that i prefer having stuff mounted. If its too much trouble, ill take your word for it. I have noticed all the eurorack sequencer modules and thought maybe i could use something like that instead of or alongside DT or maq16 to sequence software synths. Just curious w00t
VOLTA
synkrotron wrote:
Are you intending to create sequences on the fly or program stuff up front and then press play? Or a bit of both?

Mostly sequences on the fly, and thats perhaps why i prefer a real sequencer instead of a midi controller.
piper
To sequence VST from Eurorack you would need a midi/cv convert that took the clock signal from the DAW, a sequencer, and a midi/cv converter that took the CV from the sequencer and gave it back to the DAW.

There are some converters than can handle both operations at once, so you would need one converter and one sequencer. Most Eurorack sequencers seem to be four, eight, or 16 steps.

The converter is around $500 and each 16 step sequencer is about the same. If your ear isn't good enough to hear when the steps are in tune, then you might want a quantizer too.

I don't have my first Eurorack module yet, but I'm definitely planning on buying a Beat Step Pro to to sequence it with, at least at first, because for $200 I'll get as much sequencing power as probably $12,000 of modules.

Robin Vincent has two youtube videos on using his Eurorack gear with his DAW. He's not sequencing any VSTs, but I'm sure you can see how it would work from what he does.

https://youtu.be/0f29sNdvykY?list=PLzR35OQr-uws50A160kpShlfKTkoIWRON
Jumbuktu
Before committing dollars to a hardware solution you could try something like VCV rack (free) or Reaktorblocks and see how you like it.
bedhed3000
I'm surprised no one mentioned Squarp Hermod yet. Doesn't it have like 8 MIDI tracks? Seems perfect for what you are trying to do. I'd suggest starting with that and see if need more sequencing power after you've learned it inside and out.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2