MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Alternative pedal mounting for Temple Pedalboards
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Alternative pedal mounting for Temple Pedalboards
soundshaper
Wondering if anyone is using a different method than the stick-on plates to mount pedals on their Temple boards? I think I've now peeled off and re-adhered plates on 10 pedals now (buy and sell and switch it up a a alot) and it's a real PIA.

Was thinking of using zip ties through the holes, but wanted to see if anyone had another option? Trying to avoid velcro, I mean that's the whole point of these pedalboards, right?

Note: I was able to successfully mount Moogerfoogers just using the existing screws on the bottom and washers. Mr. Green But not all pedals line up very well.
Rex Coil 7
It's too bad that pedal makers don't design-in ways to mount them to pedal boards. Some sort of optional ears on the sides or ends of the devices ... kinda like how most rack sized gear makers offer rack mounting ears as optional equipment.

The mounting ears/flanges wouldn't have to be very large at all, perhaps 1/2" wide on each side of the pedal. For pedals that have angled sides, perhaps a method of an optional screwed-on plate, the plate would have holes to mount it to the pedal, and holes to mount it to the pedal board positioned on excess plate sticking out both sides of the device.

Or something along those lines.

There is absolutely NO reason something like this couldn't be done.

Boss type pedals (those with side jacks) could have ~ears~ that would replace the flat washer used under the nuts on the jacks. Remove the jack nuts, remove the flat washers beneath the nuts. Replace the flat washers with the mounting ears, reinstall the nuts, mount the pedal to the board using the ears and a few screws. Done.

Same with pedals that use "end jacks". However there would need to be additional threaded holes put on the ~south~ end of such pedals to install mounting ears. Totally no big deal.

Back to the real world here ... we're stuck with using adhesives (haa!haa! .. see what I did there? ... ~stuck with using adhesives~ ... I am so damned funny!)

meh
felixer
why not use velcro? it's magical stuff. works fine and is fairly cheap. i use it all the time. also to mount things where that hasn't been planned (like my reverb pedal to the side of my mixer).
soundshaper
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
It's too bad that pedal makers don't design-in ways to mount them to pedal boards. Some sort of optional ears on the sides or ends of the devices ... kinda like how most rack sized gear makers offer rack mounting ears as optional equipment.

The mounting ears/flanges wouldn't have to be very large at all, perhaps 1/2" wide on each side of the pedal. For pedals that have angled sides, perhaps a method of an optional screwed-on plate, the plate would have holes to mount it to the pedal, and holes to mount it to the pedal board positioned on excess plate sticking out both sides of the device.

Or something along those lines.

There is absolutely NO reason something like this couldn't be done.

Boss type pedals (those with side jacks) could have ~ears~ that would replace the flat washer used under the nuts on the jacks. Remove the jack nuts, remove the flat washers beneath the nuts. Replace the flat washers with the mounting ears, reinstall the nuts, mount the pedal to the board using the ears and a few screws. Done.

Same with pedals that use "end jacks". However there would need to be additional threaded holes put on the ~south~ end of such pedals to install mounting ears. Totally no big deal.

Back to the real world here ... we're stuck with using adhesives (haa!haa! .. see what I did there? ... ~stuck with using adhesives~ ... I am so damned funny!)

meh

Well I’ve thought about this a little more and your flanges idea made me think of something similar, maybe easier. The best solution, obviously, would be for the pedal enclosures (at least the standard Hammond ones) to have their bottom lid screws aligned to an exact grid, and that grid to be also used for the Temple-style board. Then the pedal’s actual screws could be replaced with longer pan head ones to mount it right on the board. But since that’s not a real option, maybe if a series of plates were designed that fit the popular pedal screw patterns, then those plates could have their own threaded holes to match the grid of the board.

It’s a solution but a lot of planning and making would be necessary, especially if i were to make my own plates.
JonnyAngle
If you buy some extra bottom plates, you can just swap those out.

For example, you buy a ct5....

you take your 125B bottom plate with the temple thing on it and screw that to the CT5. Then, when you sell it, you put the stock bottom plate on.
Rex Coil 7
But those ideas only work on one make of enclosure.

Making flanges that use the I/O jacks to secure them to the device would be one hell of a lot easier to make. Some 1/16" aluminum angle, drill holes, perhaps trim the flanges here-n-there to clear various obstacles (power jacks, etc..). 1/16" aluminum angle is also easy enough to bend a little in the event the enclosure's sides or ends are not precisely perpendicular to the mounting surface.

Failing the use of adhesive backed hook-and-pile material (aka "Velcro") the jack-mounted angle plates are your most viable option.

Unless every single enclosure is a Hammond 125.

That said (if they are all those type of enclosures) you'd be better off drilling mounting holes in the cover plates, and drilling four access holes in the pedal board. The access holes would be to gain access to the enclosure mounting screws with a screwdriver. The drilled holes in the cover plates would be for using two mounting machine screws/nuts. Remove the cover plate from the pedal, drill the screw holes in it, drill matching holes in the pedal board ... use those holes to mount the cover plate to the pedalboard ... then use the four access holes to resecure the cover plate to the pedal.

No overlength screws for the cover plates required that way. And far less precise drilling required since the access holes need to be large enough to fit a screw driver though.

But that is still a horrible idea, since it limits what types of pedals can go in which locations. Not only that, some pedals that use Hammond type enclosures have the cover plate on top. This is a fact. I personally built several hundred of them in that configuration.

So you're right back to adhesive backed hook-n-pile, or flanges that attach to the pedal using the jacks as a means to attach the flanges to the pedal, or zip ties.

seriously, i just don't get it Your choice.
JohnLRice
I don't have that kind of board and have never tried this idea but if you could find the right sized L-Bolts it "might work" to cover the non-threaded side with heat shrink tubing or better yet some thicker vinyl/neoprene/rubber tubing and then use a combination of washers, lock washers, regular nuts, wing nuts,etc to attach to the board? Maybe even try adding a short coil spring? hmmm..... One of these on each side of the pedal might hold it down?

JonnyAngle
Or do what Holey Boards suggest and get a crapload of zip ties seriously, i just don't get it
soundshaper
JohnLRice wrote:
I don't have that kind of board and have never tried this idea but if you could find the right sized L-Bolts it "might work" to cover the non-threaded side with heat shrink tubing or better yet some thicker vinyl/neoprene/rubber tubing and then use a combination of washers, lock washers, regular nuts, wing nuts,etc to attach to the board? Maybe even try adding a short coil spring? hmmm..... One of these on each side of the pedal might hold it down?

This is actually more of what I was thinking. However, I wonder if there' a way to use pieces of very small insulated cable (or wire) to go across each pedal then tighten somehow from underneath, not unlike a BOA system on a snowboarding boot.
JohnLRice
Maybe something using small gauge vinyl covered steel cable? Securing one side should be easy but I'm not sure how to tension it adequately and secure the other side. hmmm.....

Maybe small cable clamps like the ones below or similar?

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1