MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Recently upgraded my Jazz Bass
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Recently upgraded my Jazz Bass
Babaluma
don't know if anyone's interested, but i have played bass since i was about 14. i guess it's my main non-synth based instrument (i do play a fender tele and yamaha acoustic also, but only began guitar a few years ago).

anyway, i bought a really nice japanese fender jazz bass (crafted in japan) a few years ago, it's a 60's re-issue job:

i recently ordered lindy fralin jazz bass pickups from the states, and bought new strings (i use d'addario chromes medium gauge flat wounds, i don't change strings as a rule, i agree with the james jamerson quote that "the funk is in the funk"), a new bridge (badass ii), and a new orange drop capacitor for the passive tone controls.

i just wanted to say that in combination all these upgrades have been well worth it!!! the lindy fralin pickups beat the pants off of the old japan fender ones, and whole new areas of clarity have opened up. the new bridge has given me about twice as much sustain! the only crappy upgrade has been the strings (same type just new), it's just that i like to play dub reggae about 90% of the time, and like a very rolled off warm and bassy tone. the strings don't really give you that until they have been broken in for about a month, so i am just waiting for that to happen before i can be in true bass nirvana! wink

i do all my own setups on the guitars (truss rod, action, intonation and pickup height), and would say it's well worth the research, time and effort in order to set up your instrument exactly how you like it. for example i can get away with a MUCH lower action than most players i know due to the fact that i play exclusively finger style at the bottom of the neck.

for recording i go into an avalon u5 d.i. box and a little fender champ amp in parallel. i usually low pass the d.i. signal, hi pass the miced amp signal, mix them and then send them through a chandler germanium compressor.

anyway, just hoping some of you may be interested!
Roycie Roller
Lovely bass guitar! I played bass in a jazz band for a few years. It was a lot of fun. Our drummer played such crazy beats & psycho rolls, that the only way i could keep up was focus only on the kick (which i think is what a bass player is supposed to do anyway).
I bet your bass sounds beautiful through the germanium compressor. Do you also run your synth through it?
Babaluma
thanks. yeah i usually focus on the kick and off beat guitar/organ "chinks" to keep time when i play dub.

yes, i often run my synths through the germanium comp, it somehow makes them sound even more analogue if that makes any sense!
Roycie Roller
It sure does make sense! I've been crying every time i look at the empty space where my tone control once was... waah
I really do think germanium has some kind of mysterious old world quality. It reminds me of how old recordings sound- there's (for want of a better description) a fine mist of grit or something..i can't put it into words, but it seems to saturate the sound in a unique way.
Kent
Fender Japan makes the best Fenders outside of the U.S. Custom Shop. Full Stop.
Babaluma
yep, the chandler germanium series is lovely. i don't know if i'll ever be able to afford it but i would love to have two of the pre's for stereo recording, and two of the comps and two of the tone controls for tracking/mixing/mastering.

yes, i am extremely happy with my fender japan jazz bass. for the price they are amazingly good. if you take the time to set them up properly as well, then you have a truly professional instrument in your hands. i think the most expensive one they sell is about 100,000 yen. i think mine was about 80,000 yen rrp but i got it from a dealer for about 60,000 yen. compared to the prices of american and mexican fenders that's really good.

my tele custom is an "american" model but is actually produced in korea. it is also of extremely high quality.
Roycie Roller
Here's a photo of a Yamaha nylon-string acoustic guitar that i recently bought at a tip shop for $10. It's from the 1970's. Normally this kind of thing wouldn't last 5 minutes, but i was in the right place at the right time.
It's in excellent condition, just needs re-stringing & a tuning peg replaced. It's the same model as my Dad's, and that is possibly the nicest acoustic guitar i've ever played. I really love nylon strings, much more than steel. Actually, i don't really like steel strings at all. I regret that i didn't fix this up and record it before i let go of the tone control. But i've decided that when i am ready to record, i'll get another one.

Cat-A-Tonic
Quote:
for recording i go into an avalon u5 d.i. box and a little fender champ amp in parallel. i usually low pass the d.i. signal, hi pass the miced amp signal, mix them and then send them through a chandler germanium compressor.

I had always been told that running a bass into a guitar amp was likely to destroy the speaker.
Someone I knew in Univ. did this to a 4/12 guitar cab and after realizing that their speakers were dead sold me the empty cab for $20.

That is great that you are getting it to work well with the Champ though.
The low pass di and hi pass amp sounds like a great combo.; clean low end and highs with character.
Cybananna
that's a beautiful jazz bass. love Mine's an off white color, almost pale yellow.
i love the jazz bass neck. To me it feels so nice.

I know some people hate them, but have you tried round wound strings? They may be nice for dub?
sandyb
nice bass babaluma. SlayerBadger!
i'm a bass player too although i don't have anything as nice as yours at the moment. maybe it's just my perception but it seems that a lot of people who are into modular synths also seem to gravitate towards bass guitar as a non-synth instrument.

sandy
Kent
Check out my Ibanez Black Eagle. This was Ibanez's first 'non-ripoff' original design after Fender sued them.

There's only one way to Rock the Black Chicken: Slung low and with PRIDE!!

SlayerBadger!
Kent
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:

I had always been told that running a bass into a guitar amp was likely to destroy the speaker.
Someone I knew in Univ. did this to a 4/12 guitar cab and after realizing that their speakers were dead sold me the empty cab for $20.

The low pass di and hi pass amp sounds like a great combo.; clean low end and highs with character.

The only 2 real dangers to avoid with speakers is overheating them (the wattage rating) and over-excursion of the cone which tears them. Often, an amplifier will pass far more bandwidth than the speaker can handle. So you don't hear much, but the speaker is getting pounded with 'watts'. A sudden spike of low-end (or a huge 'pop') can cause a speaker to go too far forwards, or in rare cases backwards, and the paper (or other material) cone will separate from the elastic surround or voice coil.

You just have to watch your levels. I like running the Black Weasel (above) through guitar amps for some 'dirt'. Chris Squire used to bi-amp his rigs and send the treble parts through Orange amps. It's safe to do, but guitar speakers are generally designed for guitar frequencies.
Babaluma
Roycie Roller wrote:
Here's a photo of a Yamaha nylon-string acoustic guitar that i recently bought at a tip shop for $10. It's from the 1970's. Normally this kind of thing wouldn't last 5 minutes, but i was in the right place at the right time.
It's in excellent condition, just needs re-stringing & a tuning peg replaced. It's the same model as my Dad's, and that is possibly the nicest acoustic guitar i've ever played. I really love nylon strings, much more than steel. Actually, i don't really like steel strings at all. I regret that i didn't fix this up and record it before i let go of the tone control. But i've decided that when i am ready to record, i'll get another one.

nice find! good luck with the renovation. i haven't really experimented with nylon string guitars, but my friend and dad both play them.
Babaluma
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:

well it does fart art at even quite low volumes, so i think you do have to be a bit careful, but the clean sound is great!

yeah splitting signals in parallel and applying different processes to different frequency bands can be great. sometimes i might chorus the amp sound and only compress the d.i. etc. i will have to get around to uploading some examples!
Babaluma
Cybananna wrote:
that's a beautiful jazz bass. love Mine's an off white color, almost pale yellow.

I know some people hate them, but have you tried round wound strings? They may be nice for dub?

thanks!

i am afraid i am very much a despiser of round wound strings these days. when i started playing bass they were all i knew, and they can give a nice percussive and bright sound for picking/rock/metal/indy/slap etc, but since i started using flatwounds i haven't looked back, i don't think i'll ever use roundwounds again. they don't dig into your fingers as much, there is less string noise, and the warm mellow tone is to die for! ideal for dub.

akaik the majority of reggae and soul/motown players, and even the beatles, used flat wound strings as these were the only things available at the time. i also use d'addario chromes flatwounds on my telecaster, great 50's tone, especially through the fender champ!
Babaluma
sandyb wrote:
nice bass babaluma. SlayerBadger!
i'm a bass player too although i don't have anything as nice as yours at the moment. maybe it's just my perception but it seems that a lot of people who are into modular synths also seem to gravitate towards bass guitar as a non-synth instrument.

sandy

well it was kind of my first proper instrument (i mean i tried recorder and acoustic guitar when i was about 7 or 8 but didn't stick with either for more than a week or two). i started playing bass at 14 as it was a requirement of my music course at school to learn/play an instrument. as most of my friends already played guitar or drums, then bass was my default choice. i am really glad it was now, because i love playing so much. a that time i played mainly heavy rock, metal and goth stuff, but these days it's mainly playing reggae, indy, blues and exotic eastern scales.
Babaluma
nice bass kent!
Cybananna
Babaluma wrote:
Cybananna wrote:

i am afraid i am very much a despiser of round wound strings these days. there is less string noise, and the warm mellow tone is to die for! ideal for dub.

d'oh! oops, I went idiot, I thought you said you used round wound strings and I meant to be suggesting flat wound. my wires got all crossed. Yes, flat are perfect for what you do!
Babaluma
ha ha!

thought that might be the case!

so you have a j-bass and a tele too, crazy! both look very nice!
Babaluma
i just made this drum/piano loop this afternoon to jam along on bass with, it shows off the bass/d.i./compressor combination quite nicely, but i think i over mixed the bass so watch your speakers!!!

Flamey

25MB .wav file:

http://darkflame.hermetech.net/Musick/Babaluma-DubPractice.wav
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1