MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Stuck! Interested in people's experience/perspective
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author Stuck! Interested in people's experience/perspective
tioJim
Hello

1. I sit down at my gear and I play. Perhaps a nice chord sequence on my OB-6

Ooh, sounds nice

2. I get inspired by what I'm doing

Hey, I like this!

3. So I want to add to it. I might start a drum pattern on my Rytm or program a step sequence into my Yarns/Roland System 500 combo.

This is fun!

4. My desk's all nicely routed. I can pull at cables in a patch bay and route my Big Sky or Memory Man to wherever I fancy, add compression across a group bus or the mix insert (FMR Audio, RNC) etc.

Wow I can do that, and this, and that!

(As you can tell I've some nice instruments and effects so that's not the problem)

And then ... I seem to always manage to dream up something I want to do but can't with my available gear so that sends me window shopping and brings an abrupt end to the session and then I just drift off into Internet randomness

It's ok on one level, that hour I am getting things cooking is great (and I probably do that a few nights a week) BUT it doesn't get "music made" or at least certainly not "finished".

Possible explanations

A. I'm more interested in gear than making music
B. The ideas I come up with: I take them as far as they need to go. I think they need recording/completing but really they don't
C. I'm just too damn scared of commiting to finishing because it might not turn out how I hoped
D. I really do need those other things that I go window shopping for. My studio isn't "quorate" if you get my meaning [*1]

[*1 I don't use a DAW. Everything's snyc'd over MIDI or CV/gate and I use an MPC as a sequencer. Perhaps this is just a bit naive ... see there I go. I just did it. Now I need a DAW!!!]

Thoughts?

J
tioJim
E. I'm just f*****g lazy! screaming goo yo
Raven_Martin
It’s probably all of the above.

What is it that actually stops you hitting record?

Without a daw, how are you actually recording? Is it to tape? Hard disk recorder? Just straight to MPC? Is there something about that part of your workflow that is hindering the actual process? If not then you just need more confidence to hit record. You don’t have to play it to anyone after necessarily.

Perhaps not having a DAW is hindering your ability to sufficiently edit recorded material? I know I couldn’t do without one. My live jamming skills aren’t good enough to make complete tracks just from one-pass recordings. Hence a DAW making things much easier. Perhaps you love jamming and hate editing? I’m a bit like that....but over time and with practice I’m getting better at jamming and thus don’t have as much editing to do to arrive at a satisfactory end point for each piece.

If I was you I’d try recording a few short multi-track jams to your MPC, then having a sofa session with just the MPC and try manipulating your recordings into something new. Might give you a new perspective because you won’t have your instruments in front of you, just a bunch of your own recordings.

These things are all very personal and I can imagine I may not have helped at all. Good luck.
tioJim
Raven_Martin wrote:
... These things are all very personal and I can imagine I may not have helped at all. Good luck.

On the contrary, that was all really interesting. When I do record it's straight to a stereo field recorder from the desk.

Jamming vs. editing and relative abilities in each/desire to do either. That's really good food for thought. Thanks for that!
starthief
When working on a song, once I've gotten started I just follow where the song seems to want to go. I also try to finish in a single session.

It never leads to wanting gear I don't have -- unless it's something like one more manual switch or envelope in Eurorack. I make a note about it but find a way to work around it for that particular recording.

While I primarily use Eurorack, I'm not averse to using software synths. So if my song calls for a string pad or a noise whoosh or a sub drone or something and I don't have the resources in hardware, I don't let it stop me.

My gear lust is about 95% driven by product announcements, reviews, discussions etc. and finding out what gear peoiple are using to make music that I like, and much less from actual need while I'm in creative mode. Which I suppose I should learn something from...
slumberjack
i also suggest simply to record.

if you're not into daw editing then there's a huge second(...or third)hand market with multichannel tapedeck recorders. fairly cheap, quite analoque (cortini's solo a/v live show is played with a four channel tascam) and you can find models with up to 16ch. you can overdub, add, eq and gain.

my most loved workflow takes over serval days when i work pretty similar to your description. i start somewhere then i drift off into the interwebs, films, sleep or have to work - while the composition is running in the studio (which is a good thing: i got a feel for infinite grooves and often go back to the machines to delete or adjust a note, timbre, envelope). then when i feel i got enough tracks together and an idea for the arrangement i record multitrack (occasionally also one track after each).
but if inspiration don't come i just record the whole sequence a few bars to maybe work further in standart daw style or use pieces for sampling.

oh man what a live this would be. commuting all day between a few room all drowned into sound, picture, food and going for a walk or dance... This is fun!
slumberjack
ah yeah and the lust for new and/or other pieces of gear is immense.
the same goes for the time 'researching' those option. i don't mind spending my precious time that way because it feels just right and still more intellijel than the red convertible, stock market or always get wasted thing to do.
and i learn a lot about synthesis while lurking here or there for gear.
gb2
may be a redundant advice, but did you you feel you know everything about the gear you already have?
when i was doing music in the daw if was constantly looking for new soft synths, effects, etc., just because i was attracted by the newness of it.
but at one point i stopped looking after new stuff and just really learned what i had and what can be done with it.

also, the realisation that more than 10 tracks per song are rarely useful helped a lot wink

now, i'm doing everything with my eurorack, so when i'm out of modules, i need to get creative smile
Panason
gb2 wrote:

also, the realisation that more than 10 tracks per song are rarely useful helped a lot wink

THEN WAT IS THIS FOR ? EH? razz
gb2
Panason wrote:
gb2 wrote:

layering bass drums. obviously. razz
slumberjack
gb2 wrote:
Panason wrote:
gb2 wrote:

layering bass drums. obviously. razz

It's peanut butter jelly time!

i'm up for the 5059 tbh.
matthewjuran
It’s like sports where the only way you’ll get better is to play and a lot has to go right inside and outside your control for a famous moment to happen. For example, recording is a skill and even if it isn’t worth recording you’ll still have a better chance at getting a good recording in the future by recording now.

My experience is my favorite recordings aren’t apparent until months later.
noisejockey
1. Always be recording.
2. Perfect is the enemy of done.
3. Unplug the internet or be in a room without a computer at all.
4. Practice, practice, practice. Especially using rules 1 and 2.
5. As much as you can, do what brings you bliss, even if it requires scrapping the above rules.

Rockin' Banana!
suboptimal
In creative endeavors it can be helpful to set hard deadlines to accomplish things. Try setting specific goals.

These days I'm earning a fair bit of my income as a writer. When I have to complete a writing project for clients by a certain time, or I'm only getting paid a certain amount per piece, I find I can write fluidly and quickly. But when I have no time constraints, my pace slows way down but the work is no better.
noisejockey
suboptimal wrote:
In creative endeavors it can be helpful to set hard deadlines to accomplish things. Try setting specific goals.

These days I'm earning a fair bit of my income as a writer. When I have to complete a writing project for clients by a certain time, or I'm only getting paid a certain amount per piece, I find I can write fluidly and quickly. But when I have no time constraints, my pace slows way down but the work is no better.

Big, big +1 on arbitrary deadlines. Huge tool for focus. Well said.
tioJim
slumberjack wrote:
oh man what a live this would be. commuting all day between a few room all drowned into sound, picture, food and going for a walk or dance... This is fun!

ha! nice smile
tioJim
Returning to this thread after a few weeks

Great replies everyone. Really helpful, thank you
3pand
I agree about the deadlines. You could even set non-arbitrary deadlines by setting up a show (formal or informal, could be anything). Once there is a day and time by which you have to have stuff ready to present, perfection and any notions of fully realizing all of your ideas might start to seem like luxuries that you have no time to dwell on.

For me, I feel like having these deadlines helps to get out of the mode of wanting to do everything right all in one session, and instead thinking iteratively, like "ok by the next show or deadline I'm going to do x y or z a little bit better than I did last time"

really enjoyed reading all the comments. definitely something I think about a lot as well.
Futuresound
slumberjack wrote:

love
slumberjack
Futuresound wrote:
slumberjack wrote:

love

and you know heaven is when you come across an adorable one who loves to hang around at your secret tweaker pad. maybe someday it will be like back in 'those where the days' days. until then i have this beauty to listen to, one that i did with the monomachine, recorded on the laptop, in this beautyful oldschool artists loft, sitting on the refreshing cold floor - all this belongs to my beloved one at this time - on a hot summer day when sleep was far away from any possible possibility, woke while the other one was sleeping beside. it's the last track on this album:

[bandcamp width=100% height=42 album=712223559 size=small bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 track=1435215240]

it's this pura vida which makes me happy and outputs nice work.
felixer
sounds like you don't have a plan/song. this makes everything harder as option anxiety rears it's head. no, you don't need more gear, you need an idea.
once you have that, it all becomes much easier. obviously that idea can develop as you go along, but you need to stick with it.
and be realistic about what you can do yourself and where you might need help. eg i will not even attempt to put together some drumtrack. i have others who are much better and faster with that. i will put on all the guitar/bass/keyboard parts. but i will not sing. not even a rough vocal. just not my part of the deal ... if that is clear you will be much happier and faster and have better endresults.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1