MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

'Ax Comparison (again)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Author 'Ax Comparison (again)
leftbracket
I've decided to start my foray into the Synthmall universe soon with one of the two analog barre organs. I know that I'm far from the first person to ask about which to get, but I haven't been satisfied with the other threads on the topic. How I see it, the main advantages of each are:

Tetrax: up/downslope control (could this be approximated on the Sid with FM feedback and/or the "glitch" jacks?), smaller, cheaper
Sidrax: more barres, cleaner tones available, more complex patching and modulation relationships possible

In addition, given the thought that I may well get some more CL in the future, is there enough overlap between Tetrax and Shnth or Sidrax and a Tocante Phashi or Thyris that one might be foregone?
Hainbach
Don't think of features, think of instrumentation: in the CL cosmos, the Sidrax is the melodic/harmonic instrument and the Tetrax is the bass section. That is why they sound the way they do and on what you should base your choice on. If you have them under your fingers you quickly realize that they only look similar and have similar controls but serve different functions.

There is no overlap to Tocantes and I would say also little to the Shnth, since that is a much different way of creating music. It can do Sidrax/Tetrax tones however. But the mindset is so different IMO.
ClausF
Agree in everything from Hainbach. In addition:
Sidrax has traingle oscillators, Tetrax has sawtooth oscillators. So Tetrax sounds harder, Sidrax more smooth.
leftbracket
Hainbach wrote:
in the CL cosmos, the Sidrax is the melodic/harmonic instrument and the Tetrax is the bass section. That is why they sound the way they do and on what you should base your choice on. If you have them under your fingers you quickly realize that they only look similar and have similar controls but serve different functions.

I'd read about these roles in the instruments' pages on the CL site but not really thought about it very deeply. With this and my existing instrument collection in mind it seems that Sidrax (and perhaps Shnth and/or Tocante down the road) is definitely the way to go.

I really value your input and your body of work. Great to hear from you.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Page 1 of 1