MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

on the topic of not buying any more modules
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next [all]
Author on the topic of not buying any more modules
Parnelli
(File this under threads that manufacturers hate....) MY ASS IS BLEEDING
captjrab
I have so many complex modules I want to really master, so itll take some time. Still reading manuals for some modules Ive had for years.
I guess Im still game for 1-2 modules a year, maybe something on the more experimental chaos side or perhaps an upgrade of something. No more wide eyed scrolling on Modular Grid tho.
Sync
I'm at the point where I'm re-assessing the value of certain modules-- and the ones with more hp definitely stick out and have to earn their keep. At the moment I've a single case of 12U/104hp that'll be full as soon as a module that's been on backorder arrives. Other than that, I have a 32hp Doepfer mini that I use for staging and testing individual modules (or at least, ones that fit in 32...

I've already eliminated my Morphagene since I didn't find the workflow very flexible, mostly just useful for random experimentation and that's not quite enough for me. And my 4MS STS really killed it once I got that. I'm considering a Qu-Bit Nebulae V2 as well, due to the time-shifting ability and support for custom coding, and it overlaps the Morphagene in a few ways as well.

In order to fit a Nebulae, I'm taking a long hard look at my Rainmaker-- an awesome module but it really eats up massive real-estate, and it's also pretty hard to use for other than just random experimentation or the canned presets. Configuring 16 taps is not what I want to spend all that much time on. Haven't yet decided, given its power, but its footprint makes it a prime candidate for replacement. And not like I'm completely opposed to random experimentation, but if I'm wanting something specific and it's too hard to get it to deliver, it's edging towards the chopping block. Plus, the Nebulae may be capable of delivering some similar results given its ability for custom code. I'll likely get a Nebulae for "evaluation" and decide what to keep at that point. I am using the Rainmaker regularly though, unlike the Morphagene, so I could very well miss it if it comes to that.

I also downsized my Ornament & Crime to the slim version, though I'm keeping my original one in my test skiff because I'm experimenting with coding changes on it. And I'm eyeing at least one more Disting MK4 because of it's really low profile and high flexibility. Especially looking for skinny modules that can be multi-function. Recently discovered the Happy Nerding 3x MIA which is a 3x attenuverter/offset in 6hp that doubles as an up to 6x mixer, and I'm loving that.

And I'm wondering about my Muxlicer. It's pretty well thought out and was inexpensive and easy to build, but as a sequencer it's a little weak and I'm not finding a big need for much multiplexing. That could change though, and it was dirt cheap so I'll likely hang onto it-- whether it'll stay in the rack though, remains to be seen. For more power and lower profile in sequencing, I'm eyeing a Mimetic Digitalis.

I also ended up getting a Doepfer module that is not at all "skiff friendly" and won't fit in anything except my test rack (module is the A-137-1). So for that, and to give me one more shot at more room, I'm looking at getting a Doepfer A-100LC3A case as my (hopefully) last main expansion. I may dump the A-137-1 as well, but I'd like to know I have a place for a deep module should I need it so I'm keeping it for testing of that for now. And another 84hp in the A-100LC3A could allow me to keep the Rainmaker if I'm not able to bear letting go of it and the Nebulae ends up indispensable. And I know I'm going to want at least one more Mutable Instruments module before I'm done too, so I'll need to allow for that.

It's an ongoing battle, but for the moment I've only got three modules not in a case, two 6hp ones and a 4hp one. The two 6's will probably get sold off eventually, since the reason they're not installed is they're mostly redundant.
Dilibob
I think there's a big difference on expanding systems between Buchla/EU/5u/soft.

Buchla is more of a integrated instrument, where the pieces need to make sense in relationship to each other - so expanding is kind of tricky and often unneeded.

5u requires a lot of modules to do things, I often use 3 envelopes and 3-5 oscillators for a single sound. I think having one wall is practically required if you have a "sound" in your mind, then need to patch things up to create that sound. I think with 5u starting off with a minimal system is kind of stressful if your trying to create new sounds (is ok if your playing keyboard and just want to do "classic" stuff).

Eu is a different story, with just 3 modules you can do some crazy things. Also learning a module so you can use it intuitively takes a long time. On 5u I have a couple of ++ modules, and I'm no were close to using them in a intuitive manner (i.e. they are the last things I use, and often have to break open the manual). EU also I find it's really great to test things in software, so I get in hardware only what I know I can use them.

Soft-ware modules (i.e. native instruments, softube, etc ...) I have a tendency to get way too many, just play with them to see if my mind sync's with the interface. The problem I have on this front is I never get to the point of intuitive use, and modules that are great but take some time to learn, I have to tendency to skip over. As a side note, I lean to software modules for granular for this same reason, in that I haven't spent enough time with just a limited set of EU granular modules for them to click in my brain (even though I think I'd probably be able to grow more musically if I had a limited set of EU granular modules).
boramx
i *think* some things become clear to most people after a year or 2-

- you can really get too obsessive and trainspotty. feels like a waste of time. the demos, while good, are often 20-30 mins long! that adds up. if you start GASing you can could easily spend 5 or more, 10 hours of your week reading up on shit and Ytubing. Researching shit you won't even buy.
- many need to sell something in order to buy. selling isn't as fast or easy as it was 5-10 years ago. too much stuff out there, used market is 5x the size it was then. i hate going to the post office. i hate boxing stuff up. again - i feel like i'm wasting my time/money. i think others probably feel this way.
- start to feel a shift from having honeymoons the first week of new gear to having better rewards several months/years in with certain modules. After plateau-ing, but then suddenly new sounds or methods. Usually once you know what you're doing you can always find new sounds regardless. Ditching modules starts to feel impulsive and destructive compared with simply playing the synth as it is and trying to make something good.
mg05
I really like the term 'Gear Acquisition Syndrome" as it describes what it is: a certain type of addiction.

So stopping to buy modules (and/or other gear) is easy when you're not addicted.

If you suffer of one (or multiple) addiction like GAS then the behaviour is gone more or less out of control. I doubt if one say 'I'll buy only 1-2 modules a year' or 'only when I sell something' will work for most of the addicts.

Maybe it will work for a certain time. But I can really imagine the addictive behaviour is only surpressed or it turns out one starts to buy other cool musical gear instead or the addiction manifests in another way (different addictive behaviour, other drugs).

Muffwiggler is a nice place also for hiding addiction (I'm not addicted just having a bit of GAS haha) or it's a nice place for having fun and exchange with other GAS addictive and non-addictive people too.

But from the very beginning I registered in Muffwiggler I was wondering why there isn't a main forum topic for people really being out of control with GAS. It seemed so obvious. But probably (or hopefully) the need is not that high or maybe it's not wanted - because
it's Christmas and the module is out there and still exist in my head for such a long time, nurturing my desire to buy it, to play with it, to possess it. It would fit so good into my rack, it would make so nice sounds. If I had it the module released me from my needs, I controlled the voltage, the flow of energy through the module and me. Pure music. In my hands, it was the missing piece, I was complete then and felt happiness and peace in my mind.
Only one more module, only this module.
Yeah, Eurorack is a slot machine.
cornutt
I've been through two periods of intense acquisition with mine. The first was back when I got started with it, in order to build up some useable capability. The second was when Synth Tech discontinued its MOTM kits; I bought as many as I could before they were sold out.

I didn't buy any modules last year because most of my non-playing musical labor was going into building a case, and until I finished that, I didn't have more room for any more modules; at that point I already had several modules that I didn't have room for. However, now that I have room, I've since bought two modules from Corsynth, and a used Q119 -- my first analog sequencer -- as well as finally mounting up those modules that had been languishing in boxes for a couple of years. I'm getting back into kit building with a Stroh Mirror Core VCO kit that I'm working on now, and I'm in on the Kickstarter for the Dove Audio window-transform VCO. At this stage, I'm looking for things that are different (and modifiable) -- for the most part I have all of the bread-and-butter modules that I need. I'm also getting the urge again to build some modules of my own design, and this time, I want to do it right -- no more proto boards hanging off of plywood panels.
unexpectedbowtie
Quote:
Have you stopped or scaled down drastically on your module acquisitions? Was it a conscious decision or did the GAS just leave you? Are you still using your modular rack or did that interest go with the GAS?

I bought a lot of modules over the first year or so... and then picked up a couple after that, and then stopped. I found myself swapping out modules that I didn't like, and now things are mostly settled. I have a few higher value ones that could go to make some money back - but I don't want to leave a gaping hole.

In some ways GAS left me, but I also had such a large system that I wanted to spend time getting to know it. I enjoyed it for some time and then my inspiration for writing/recording music generally went into a lull, so I am doing my best to recapture that. I do think that interest in gear and interest in recording has a correlation for me though, which isn't necessarily great.
chvad
i havent purchased a module in a couple of years it seems. the only one i want is the happy nerding 6 channel mixer but i still haven't had the want to buy it. nothing else that's come out has really grabbed me in a long while. there seemed to be a horde of menu driven, screen laden, firmware updated, push multiple things for hidden functions stuff that really was the opposite of what i want in my modular or stuff so mired in kooky lingo and graphics it just wasn't appealing at all. i spent a number of years getting the stuff i had and i enjoyed the process but the system usually stays where it's at these days and I just use what I have.
bobdylan
Once I was introduced to the beauty of blind panels, my GAS was definitely sedated. Although it comes out in a fit of fiery passion sometimes. Right now it's distracted from eurorack, but has eyes for a Blofeld. help
Synnic
I have 2 Doepfer cases for a total of 12Ux84hp and a HEK for overflow. So far my pattern is mostly making purchases of between 2 and 4 modules together once or twice a year. I mostly buy things I have had a chance to go hands on with. My goal is to finish filling up the Doepfer cases and then pause for a while.

These are my ModularGrid links for the Doepfer casese:

I plan to add a Planar 2 sometime soon.
gis_sweden
boramx wrote:
i *think* some things become clear to most people after a year or 2...

I think you’re right! Under my avatar you have my time in the business. I have 2 cases. Total hp = 356. I have focused on analog modules with “classic” functions. I have some modules to solder and 1 or 2 on the want-to-buy-list.
My intention is to keep this hobby compact. Maybe I buy/build a small (32-48 hp) case. A just in case case…
Right now, I’m waiting for a mouser delivery… Still some “will advise” and dates.
dooj88
the eurorack cycle

1) awe, confusion
2) discovery, enamoration
3) BUY AND LEARN ALL THE THINGS
4) GAS equilibrium and patching stasis
5) jaded overanalysis <--- you are here
6) no longer patching and/or selling modules
7) paring down rack, reinvogoration
[return to one]
synkrotron
gis_sweden wrote:
I have 2 cases. Total hp = 356.

Interesting... I've not kept up to speed with your setup. Is it on MG by any chance? I'd love to see what you have installed to get your Krell patches going smile
synkrotron
1) awe, confusion
2) discovery, enamoration
3) BUY AND LEARN ALL THE THINGS
4) GAS equilibrium and patching stasis <--- I think I am here
5) jaded overanalysis
6) no longer patching and/or selling modules
7) paring down rack, reinvogoration
Tronman
I built my system up to an 88-space Dotcom-based MU system, eventually sold 3/4 of it, built it back up to 88+ spaces, sold the whole thing, then eventually bought an 11-space system. That's where I'm staying.
mousegarden
Lisa, please don't get caught up in the down-sizing-up-sizing never ending dilemma. I've done it, it's a waste of time and energy.
I'm not saying this to justify buying anything, or holding on to anything, but if you are enjoying and using your modular then what's the problem?
Also, it's not easy selling modules, despite what some people say, it's just not worth taking the often huge loss in financial terms.
You're better off just holding on to everything, unless, you really really do need the money for food rent etc. And buy new modules, why not? I guarantee that if you have a clear out you'll be building your system up again in no time at all.
Also, if you have a major change of direction musically, leran the Oboe or Bassoon or something, still don't sell anything unless you really have to.
I'll tell you this.......
When I got my modular it enabled me to do things that I had never been able to do with any other instrument, but you get used to this feeling, and you tend to dismiss it a bit, but if you do decide to downsize, you suddenly realise that all those wonderful unique things you could do have gone! So in my case, I desperately went out and bought back stuff I'd sold!! as I realised just how valuable my old modular was.
lisa
mousegarden wrote:
Lisa, please don't get caught up in the down-sizing-up-sizing never ending dilemma. I've done it, it's a waste of time and energy.

No worries! I have no such plan. Quite the contrary; I won’t buy or sell any modules for a while. I was just looking for some moral support or good examples of people who succeeded in this ”impossible” undertaking, I guess.
fac
Staying out of forums (including Muff's) helps a lot against GAS. Forums and discussion groups are the main GAS inducers.
mousegarden
lisa wrote:
mousegarden wrote:

No worries! I have no such plan. Quite the contrary; I won’t buy or sell any modules for a while. I was just looking for some moral support or good examples of people who succeeded in this ”impossible” undertaking, I guess.

Good idea, or, even, put your modular away for awhile, and see how you feel.
synkrotron
fac wrote:
Staying out of forums (including Muff's) helps a lot against GAS. Forums and discussion groups are the main GAS inducers.

Yeah, and stop watching them pesky DivKid videos!
lisa
mousegarden wrote:
Good idea, or, even, put your modular away for awhile, and see how you feel.

But.. I’m using it. I record something every week. I just want to stop buying modules. smile
Shledge
I'd never downsize. What I have now is just about at the cusp where it's still fairly wieldy to use. Any bigger and I'd need really long cables, or worse, have "islands" of different functions meaning endless reorganisation.
starthief
fac wrote:

Yeah.

When I'm playing my synth, there have been a few times I've wanted/needed some other thing: attenuators, manual gates, another VCA, envelopes that are easier to work with, a limiter, more audio interface inputs. Things that enable and enhance actually playing with what I have. This has gotten rarer as I've filled in those needs.

But when I read forums and watch videos etc. suddenly I want a Lyra-8 and every Verbos module and a Zorx Ring Leader and a Planar and a Tetrapad and five more pedals and a Rhodes and.... there is no end to that road.
Futuresound
I've decided to stop buying modules because I'm running out of space, and frankly, my modular cost has gotten out of hand.

I'm just going to focus on buying high end hardware compressors and EQs instead.

Mr. Green
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next [all]
Page 2 of 16