MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

on the topic of not buying any more modules
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next [all]
Author on the topic of not buying any more modules
electricanada
gonkulator wrote:
electricanada wrote:
gonkulator wrote:
(Currently I am on an unsuccessful search for a VCA that includes offset per channel.)


Mutable Blinds, maybe?


I have a couple of Blinds, and I find them useful, but you can use each channel either as an attenuverter plus offset (meaning it hovers around a fixed point,) or a VCA/ring mod. I'm not complaining; I just find that I often add an offset, so it would be nice to have it on the VCA.


I've never played Blinds, but I assumed you could use one channel as a VCA and another as an offset. Does that not work?
lisa
4 months sober now. Got this snazzy t-shirt. More wearable than the chips. w00t

gonkulator
electricanada wrote:
gonkulator wrote:
electricanada wrote:
gonkulator wrote:
(Currently I am on an unsuccessful search for a VCA that includes offset per channel.)


Mutable Blinds, maybe?


I have a couple of Blinds, and I find them useful, but you can use each channel either as an attenuverter plus offset (meaning it hovers around a fixed point,) or a VCA/ring mod. I'm not complaining; I just find that I often add an offset, so it would be nice to have it on the VCA.


I've never played Blinds, but I assumed you could use one channel as a VCA and another as an offset. Does that not work?


Yes, but that gives me only two channels for that functionality. I would prefer four. Currently I use Blinds along with Bubblesound LvL+RM, which works fine
Pelsea
One year ago, I received a generous tax refund. I was inspired by some ex-students to use it to build a Euro system. I named it (all of my modulars get names-- system PQE, PQE^2, Zombietron) system PQE 2500 in honor of that initial investment. Around august, I had to revise the name to PQE 3500. Today, I did the books as part of choosing where to go from here--



Surprise! I have already bought my last module. (Although I have materials to build some.)
electricanada
Pelsea wrote:
One year ago, I received a generous tax refund. I was inspired by some ex-students to use it to build a Euro system. I named it (all of my modulars get names-- system PQE, PQE^2, Zombietron) system PQE 2500 in honor of that initial investment. Around august, I had to revise the name to PQE 3500. Today, I did the books as part of choosing where to go from here--



Surprise! I have already bought my last module. (Although I have materials to build some.)


Using that rubric, mine would be named "PQE New Car Money".
okiikahuna
Seems to be an issue common to most musicians who use electronic gear.A guitarist friend of mine who I used to do cover band gigs with as a keyboard-guitar duo, used to joke about this. Every time he bought a new guitar pedal or piece of recording gear, he'd say, that's it, now I've got everything I need. Won't be buying any more stuff. Of course we both knew this was complete BS and a joke without even thinking abut it.


I guess this is why module manufacturers employ people to stand outside schools passing out modules and saying" Go ahead kid, try it. The first one's free! (followed by evil, maniacal laughter.)
Blairio
okiikahuna wrote:
Seems to be an issue common to most musicians who use electronic gear.A guitarist friend of mine who I used to do cover band gigs with as a keyboard-guitar duo, used to joke about this. Every time he bought a new guitar pedal or piece of recording gear, he'd say, that's it, now I've got everything I need. Won't be buying any more stuff. Of course we both knew this was complete BS and a joke without even thinking abut it.


I guess this is why module manufacturers employ people to stand outside schools passing out modules and saying" Go ahead kid, try it. The first one's free! (followed by evil, maniacal laughter.)


For me its the tyranny of the empty slot in a euro rack case. If I have a "gap in the rack" the urge to fill it with a new purchase is almost pavlovian. The self justification comes later. Perhaps if there were much more interesting blank panels, folk like me wouldn't be so quick to use any spare space in their rack as an excuse to gouge their wallet.
lisa
Blairio: And that’s why the ”get a big case from the start” advice is such poison for some beginners.
thetwlo
lisa wrote:
4 months sober now. Got this snazzy t-shirt. More wearable than the chips. w00t



thumbs up
ayruos
Days since sober: 1 very frustrating

In all seriousness, I believe this completes my 6U and I hope I'm not buying any more. I'm broke again, that helps. Also moving back to India in June, that should massively help as well!
ThomasTheWankEngine
Blairio wrote:
okiikahuna wrote:
Seems to be an issue common to most musicians who use electronic gear.A guitarist friend of mine who I used to do cover band gigs with as a keyboard-guitar duo, used to joke about this. Every time he bought a new guitar pedal or piece of recording gear, he'd say, that's it, now I've got everything I need. Won't be buying any more stuff. Of course we both knew this was complete BS and a joke without even thinking abut it.


I guess this is why module manufacturers employ people to stand outside schools passing out modules and saying" Go ahead kid, try it. The first one's free! (followed by evil, maniacal laughter.)


For me its the tyranny of the empty slot in a euro rack case. If I have a "gap in the rack" the urge to fill it with a new purchase is almost pavlovian. The self justification comes later. Perhaps if there were much more interesting blank panels, folk like me wouldn't be so quick to use any spare space in their rack as an excuse to gouge their wallet.


I my instance I bought multiple small cases. It's mentally easier for me to take one and put it up on the shelf, out of sight, than it is to deal with a single large case with correspondingly large gaps.

I also make use of blanking panels to add a little more space around denser modules and reduce visual noise. Fifty dollars in blanks goes a long way.
Fog Door
As musicians we are always developing and evolving both in technique and in our creative ideas. I don't think its possible to draw a line under your set up and deem it definitively complete. There will always be new gear that could open new possibilities, how do you turn your back on that? I'm new to modular for just that reason, to explore a new creative space and to have new choices to make. I've only got a few modules and I'm a long way off a full rack but I already know I'll probably never stop buying modules, in the same way that just because I'm getting into modular doesn't mean I'll never buy another standalone synth or guitar or whatever. I can't rule anything out because my musical vision a few years from now may well have shifted from where it is at the moment. When I can see potential benefits to my creative output I don't think GAS of any flavour is a bad thing.
Eurocat
I’ve sold half of my Eurorack stuff and couldn’t be happier. I have t seen something that’s caught my eye or I’ve actually (needed) in months. I feel as though I actually get music done now as well.
lisa
Fog Door: so you’re saying that you don’t already have a creatively unlimited array of possibilities using the gear that you have?
Fog Door
Quote:
so you’re saying that you don’t already have a creatively unlimited array of possibilities using the gear that you have?


I think I probably do already have an unlimited array of possibilities available to me but I just don't see the sense in putting in an artificial limit.

When I started recording I just had a Yamaha VSS-200 which had a rudimentary sampler on it, it was terrible but I made the best of it, even with severely limited options, creativity thrives. Nonetheless, I needed better gear to bring my ideas to fruition and the long journey had begun. You realise you need a guitar, then you need a pedal, then your practice amp sucks etc Of course, I don't think buying better gear makes you more creative or a better musician and its clear from some of the comments on here that buying too much stuff in the modular world can stifle your output (a trap I'd be keen to avoid). I just don't see how you can draw a line under your set up and say no more ever because who knows, in the years to come mindblowing gear could come out and surely you would be interested to see what you could create with it?
Blairio
ThomasTheWankEngine wrote:
Blairio wrote:
okiikahuna wrote:
Seems to be an issue common to most musicians who use electronic gear.A guitarist friend of mine who I used to do cover band gigs with as a keyboard-guitar duo, used to joke about this. Every time he bought a new guitar pedal or piece of recording gear, he'd say, that's it, now I've got everything I need. Won't be buying any more stuff. Of course we both knew this was complete BS and a joke without even thinking abut it.


I guess this is why module manufacturers employ people to stand outside schools passing out modules and saying" Go ahead kid, try it. The first one's free! (followed by evil, maniacal laughter.)


For me its the tyranny of the empty slot in a euro rack case. If I have a "gap in the rack" the urge to fill it with a new purchase is almost pavlovian. The self justification comes later. Perhaps if there were much more interesting blank panels, folk like me wouldn't be so quick to use any spare space in their rack as an excuse to gouge their wallet.


I my instance I bought multiple small cases. It's mentally easier for me to take one and put it up on the shelf, out of sight, than it is to deal with a single large case with correspondingly large gaps.

I also make use of blanking panels to add a little more space around denser modules and reduce visual noise. Fifty dollars in blanks goes a long way.


Maybe someone should create a line of limited edition, very cool, blank panels, Or maybe they aren't entirely blank, but have blinking lights, or something that flips down to hold a few patch cables. I have never seen mirror blank panels.... so many possibilities.
Fog Door
Quote:
Maybe someone should create a line of limited edition, very cool, blank panels, Or maybe they aren't entirely blank, but have blinking lights, or something that flips down to hold a few patch cables


I dread to think how much those might cost here in the UK! eek!
Pelsea
Fog Door wrote:
As musicians we are always developing and evolving both in technique and in our creative ideas. I don't think its possible to draw a line under your set up and deem it definitively complete. There will always be new gear that could open new possibilities, how do you turn your back on that? I'm new to modular for just that reason, to explore a new creative space and to have new choices to make. I've only got a few modules and I'm a long way off a full rack but I already know I'll probably never stop buying modules, in the same way that just because I'm getting into modular doesn't mean I'll never buy another standalone synth or guitar or whatever. I can't rule anything out because my musical vision a few years from now may well have shifted from where it is at the moment. When I can see potential benefits to my creative output I don't think GAS of any flavour is a bad thing.


It is true that have blown my new module budget, but that doesn't mean the system is finished.



There are several blank panels that I will replace with DIY modules. I'll decide what the functions should be as I work with the system. I'm just marking panels with a label as I discover needs for now.
I will be rebuilding some of my homemade modules. For instance, the output mixer should be stereo.
Most of the timing and sequencing functions are handled by Max/MSP-- that means I have a lot of patches to write.
Finally, my performances always feature oddball interfaces. (I'm learning the Seaboard right now). Building them is a whole other set of projects.
Pelsea
Fog Door wrote:
Quote:
Maybe someone should create a line of limited edition, very cool, blank panels, Or maybe they aren't entirely blank, but have blinking lights, or something that flips down to hold a few patch cables


I dread to think how much those might cost here in the UK! eek!


Blank panels needn't be made of precious metals-- you can cut them out of cereal boxes.
lisa
Fog Door wrote:
I think I probably do already have an unlimited array of possibilities available to me but I just don't see the sense in putting in an artificial limit.

I hear you and I agree to a great degree.

What irritated me a bit about the "modular community" when I started was all the people kind of lovingly comparing it to drug use, saying that you'll never be done and that you should get a much bigger case than you ever though you'd need. In short, people unable to control their own GAS projecting that onto others. There are also plenty of testimonials of folks buying Eurorack on credit and people getting into the format at a high purchase pace but not really using it. Etc, etc. This thread is a bit of a counteraction.

As for artificial limits I have none. I came to the conclusion that the rack size I got now is perfect for me. I have an array of modules covering any need I can think of. I researched modules heavily for a year, while I was filling up the rack. I know about most readily available modules and I've made a conscious decision about all of them. I'm not missing out on anything.
Pelsea
lisa wrote:

What irritated me a bit about the "modular community" when I started was all the people kind of lovingly comparing it to drug use, saying that you'll never be done and that you should get a much bigger case than you ever though you'd need. In short, people unable to control their own GAS projecting that onto others. There are also plenty of testimonials of folks buying Eurorack on credit and people getting into the format at a high purchase pace but not really using it. Etc, etc. This thread is a bit of a counteraction.


Maybe there should be a GAS hotline. When the urge is unbearable, call up and a counselor will talk you down, perhaps suggesting a cheaper alternative or showing you how to patch the function from the modules you have.

I have always known musicians who collect instruments, but I was surprised to discover the number who treat modules like baseball cards. It brings to mind some of the characters in John Sladek's "The Muller-Fokker Effect" who are convinced all that stands between them and immortality is "Some of that new Muller-Fokker tape and a really good white noise generator".

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H6SOCU8/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding= UTF8&btkr=1
Fog Door
Quote:
This thread is a bit of a counteraction.


Yes, I understand and perhaps I had drifted somewhat from the point of your thread. There will always be people who are primarily "collectors" in any music scene and that is absolutely fine, they are at liberty to spend their money as they see fit and I'm sure they have a damn good time doing it. However, I can see how it might be annoying if you feel that others may be led astray or in some way harmed by the promotion and persistence of a damaging ideology.

Quote:
who are convinced all that stands between them and immortality is "Some of that new Muller-Fokker tape and a really good white noise generator".


Where can I get some of this tape??? wink
Funch
lisa wrote:
Blairio: And that’s why the ”get a big case from the start” advice is such poison for some beginners.


And quote:
"What irritated me a bit about the "modular community" when I started was all the people kind of lovingly comparing it to drug use, saying that you'll never be done and that you should get a much bigger case than you ever though you'd need. In short, people unable to control their own GAS projecting that onto others."

Hope this makes sense in the context of your quotes


"Conclusion on the quote: “Hell is other people”:

The No Exit play by Sartre perfectly illustrates the difficult coexistence of people: the fact that others – and their gaze – is what alienates and locks me in a particular kind of being, which in turn deprives me of my freedom."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the-philosophy.com/sartre-hell-is-oth er-people/amp
Blairio
Funch wrote:
lisa wrote:
Blairio: And that’s why the ”get a big case from the start” advice is such poison for some beginners.


And quote:
"What irritated me a bit about the "modular community" when I started was all the people kind of lovingly comparing it to drug use, saying that you'll never be done and that you should get a much bigger case than you ever though you'd need. In short, people unable to control their own GAS projecting that onto others."

Hope this makes sense in the context of your quotes


"Conclusion on the quote: “Hell is other people”:

The No Exit play by Sartre perfectly illustrates the difficult coexistence of people: the fact that others – and their gaze – is what alienates and locks me in a particular kind of being, which in turn deprives me of my freedom."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the-philosophy.com/sartre-hell-is-oth er-people/amp


Hell may be other people (to Sartre) but we need them - such as this online community and those contributing to it. Maybe Sartre just over thought things a bit. Most folk labour under their own self imposed constraints, They don't need anybody else's.
Fog Door
Quote:
Maybe Sartre just over thought things a bit


Ha ha ha I don't know if you meant that as a joke, but that's funny lol
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next [all]
Page 13 of 16
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group