MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

on the topic of not buying any more modules
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next [all]
Author on the topic of not buying any more modules
Parnelli
I'm picking up small utilities now and staving off the big purchases until... well... at least the next one! My rack is about full, but I also have my 2 Mother 32's mounted in it, so if I take them out I could get a...

Seriously though I've really slowed down and I'm saving that last bit of space for those extra special things I cannot live without that I haven't learned about yet...

Unless I go all out like Lisa and acquire (make) another case... I have thoughts of getting something like a secretary's desk and installing a modular system in it, making both a musical instrument and wonderful piece of furniture when the doors are closed!

Just a thought... I'd have to find a used one in descent shape first...
Blairio
I looked at my modular rig the other day after placing it on a 2 month sabbatical in my spare room, and thought... in the name of God, how did I end up with so much stuff? Ok, so it took me 7 years to get to my current 18U (504HP) rig with a fair bit of buying / selling / trading along the way, and each module was a carefully thought out purchase funded by music work, but the volume of kit is now frankly a turn-off in creative terms. I wish now that I had set a hard limit such as 9U, when I set out.

I reckon I'll leave the bulk of the rig in the spare room for now, and use one 3U 84HP case to assemble a specific instrument every so often until my full eurorack mojo returns.
Muff McMuff
Blairio wrote:
I looked at my modular rig the other day after placing it on a 2 month sabbatical in my spare room, and thought... in the name of God, how did I end up with so much stuff? Ok, so it took me 7 years to get to my current 18U (504HP) rig with a fair bit of buying / selling / trading along the way..

You have 504hp in total or six rows of 504hp? I am trying to imagine how big it is!
MindMachine
I have not bought any modules for a while. Cold turkey.

I have bought a keyboard, a stomp box, more power, some mallets and assembled a feedback system w/ a handheld mic, amplifier and drive in theatre speaker.

There are really only 10-12 modules that I want at this time. Mr. Green
Blairio
Muff McMuff wrote:
Blairio wrote:
I looked at my modular rig the other day after placing it on a 2 month sabbatical in my spare room, and thought... in the name of God, how did I end up with so much stuff? Ok, so it took me 7 years to get to my current 18U (504HP) rig with a fair bit of buying / selling / trading along the way..

You have 504hp in total or six rows of 504hp? I am trying to imagine how big it is!

Ah, I should have been clearer! I have three cases, each 84HP wide. A 3U one, a 6U one and a 9U one. Total is 18U, and 504HP.....
Ivanpedersen
I filled last HP on yesterday and I say my europack is damn grin
Blairio
Blairio wrote:
Muff McMuff wrote:
Blairio wrote:

Ah, I should have been clearer! I have three cases, each 84HP wide. A 3U one, a 6U one and a 9U one. Total is 18U, and 504HP.....

3 months on and my euro rack Mojo is still on vacation. I'm thinking of repurposing my patch cables by weaving them into something useful, like a hat.

A few months back I picked up a Yamaha Reface DX, and was amazed at the immediacy and flexibility of the thing. Also - memories!

I guess I'll set myself a winter modular 'project'. To add focus I'll lock all my polysynths and semi-modulars up until springtime.
empirix
modules are getting too expensive, i realise most are small boutique manufacturers trying to get enough cash together to maybe live on/design mre modules should they not have a job already etc but the fact of the matter is, new modules are too much. Buying used or from manufacturers like Doepfer who are reasonable and quality at that too is the way to go. Yes, you miss out on the latest fancy modules but it is better than being charged a premium seriously, i just don't get it
Blairio
There are some pricier modules which offer the convenience of several complimentary modules clustered together behind one panel. I am thinking here of a complex oscillator or a function generator. Yes you could achieve similar functionality from basic building block modules, but you would need more rack space, and the cost savings (if any) would be offset in this and other ways.

There are other modules that offer something unique, or at least something hard to synthesise from existing modules. I am thinking here of Plaits, which frankly I reckon is very good value, given its capabilities. Plaits is a bargain for what it can do.

I understand very little of supply chain economics and research & design costs, but I don't see anyone making a killing from Eurorack.
Pelsea
If you believe modules are too expensive, build a few from scratch. You will either:
A) get some useful modules practically free, or
B) come to understand why modules are expensive.

Probably both.
Shledge
Quote:
Yes you could achieve similar functionality from basic building block modules, but you would need more rack space, and the cost savings (if any) would be offset in this and other ways.

You generally lose flexibility too. Too often such modules leave out certain CV inputs etc. and prefer to prewire them. For example, a lot of full voice modules won't give you access to it's built in VCA for other modules to use or control.

Something like plaits would need a shitload of modules to replicate sure, but you also lose a lot of the flexibility and instead stuck with 3 predefined parameters to CV control.

Quote:
modules are getting too expensive, i realise most are small boutique manufacturers trying to get enough cash together to maybe live on/design mre modules should they not have a job already etc but the fact of the matter is, new modules are too much. Buying used or from manufacturers like Doepfer who are reasonable and quality at that too is the way to go. Yes, you miss out on the latest fancy modules but it is better than being charged a premium seriously, i just don't get it

They are expensive because of the fact they're small boutique companies. They do not have the means to get them mass produced, so naturally prices go up. In fact they're actually cutting a lot of costs already within their capacity, to the point that they barely make a profit - so in other words, you're not being charged any premium. It's a labour of love for a lot of these small companies. If you ever dabbled in electronics on such small scales, you'd quickly understand why.

Doepfer is arguably the largest eurorack company, so obviously it would have far more clout to get modules out at a larger scale. If Behringer get on the game, they would be cheaper still since they own massive chinese factories to shite them out at huge quantities.

But "too expensive"? That's relative, really. I'm not exactly rich but I still managed to get a few modules a month, building my system over time. Then again, I don't waste money on smokes and drinking, nor do I complain like some cheaparse. seriously, i just don't get it
Blckstage
magnetsandlasers wrote:
I get bad GAS from looking at empty hp in my system.

we're not worthy so true! I cannot even stand empty hp in my modular grid setups.

I also try to stick to a "monthly" max to spend "budget"
empirix
Shledge wrote:
Quote:
Yes you could achieve similar functionality from basic building block modules, but you would need more rack space, and the cost savings (if any) would be offset in this and other ways.

You generally lose flexibility too. Too often such modules leave out certain CV inputs etc. and prefer to prewire them. For example, a lot of full voice modules won't give you access to it's built in VCA for other modules to use or control.

Something like plaits would need a shitload of modules to replicate sure, but you also lose a lot of the flexibility and instead stuck with 3 predefined parameters to CV control.

Quote:

They are expensive because of the fact they're small boutique companies. They do not have the means to get them mass produced, so naturally prices go up. In fact they're actually cutting a lot of costs already within their capacity, to the point that they barely make a profit - so in other words, you're not being charged any premium. It's a labour of love for a lot of these small companies. If you ever dabbled in electronics on such small scales, you'd quickly understand why.

Doepfer is arguably the largest eurorack company, so obviously it would have far more clout to get modules out at a larger scale. If Behringer get on the game, they would be cheaper still since they own massive chinese factories to shite them out at huge quantities.

But "too expensive"? That's relative, really. I'm not exactly rich but I still managed to get a few modules a month, building my system over time. Then again, I don't waste money on smokes and drinking, nor do I complain like some cheaparse. seriously, i just don't get it

I actually have recently built some modules, which made me more aware. Obviously it depends on components but it has changed my outlook. Ill wait for used and buy doepfer, mi and other reasonable modules, happy to be a cheapskate!
lisa
lisa wrote:
I lasted almost six months but today I ordered my second EP-420. w00t

And four months later I'm 216 hp in the hole. razz
spilthyfred
I ordered custom rail for a 21U 112HP case that I am currently building. I feel like I am in a frenzy to fill each row up. I have almost five rows full and plan to stop buying more modules once my case is full. For what it is worth I have had a very specific plan that I am executing, and once I am done I will only buy more modules if I feel one is worth replacing in my signal flow.

Or so I say.... hyper
cptnal
When you think about it, it would be a bizarre coincidence indeed if all the modules that satisfied our needs and wants corresponded exactly with the available hp in our cases. hmmm.....

...especially if your needs and wants keep changing. Dead Banana
Fog Door
Quote:
...especially if your needs and wants keep changing

I believe you have hit he nail on the head lol
lisa
cptnal wrote:
When you think about it, it would be a bizarre coincidence indeed if all the modules that satisfied our needs and wants corresponded exactly with the available hp in our cases. hmmm.....

...especially if your needs and wants keep changing.

Of course it's not about some kind of force of nature that happens to correspond with a rack size. It's about practicing a tiny bit of self control.

Also, "needs". LOL! grin
Fog Door
Quote:
It's about practicing a tiny bit of self control

That's not always easy when damn fine modules like SSF URA are discontinued out of the blue, the fear of missing out on such things is powerful when you are new to the modular scene. Do I "need" one? The honest answer is, I'm not sure, but I'm suddenly feeling motivated to get hold of one even though I've just had a bit of an influx of new modules d'oh!
cptnal
lisa wrote:
cptnal wrote:

...especially if your needs and wants keep changing.

Of course it's not about some kind of force of nature that happens to correspond with a rack size. It's about practicing a tiny bit of self control.

Also, "needs". LOL! grin

Indeed you can't can't eat a sample and hold, but you might "need" one for a patch. (Come to think of it - sample and hold in a nice garlic mayonnaise... Drunken Homer Simpson )

In other apropos news, I intend ordering a new module today, which I fully expect will change my life and transform me into a patching genius. nodnod
dubonaire
I'm struggling to fill my last 186HP. I don't seem to need, or want, anything else. And there is so much good stuff out there. I'm not running out of sounds or modulation. Maybe I could add some more sequencers because you can't have too many sequencers. I'm not trying to be glib. Maybe I need some kind of really smart fill the holes plan. It would be kind of outrageous to post my 6 x 168 HP rack with 186 HP blank and ask people to complete my rack. At least there wouldn't be a bunch of 2HP recommendations. Or maybe there would be, and Maths, and Mutable Instruments, and Make Noise. I'm thinking of just getting a row of Harvestman.
cptnal
dubonaire wrote:
I'm struggling to fill my last 186HP. I don't seem to need, or want, anything else. And there is so much good stuff out there. I'm not running out of sounds or modulation. Maybe I could add some more sequencers because you can't have too many sequencers. I'm not trying to be glib. Maybe I need some kind of really smart fill the holes plan. It would be kind of outrageous to post my 6 x 168 HP rack with 186 HP blank and ask people to complete my rack. At least there wouldn't be a bunch of 2HP recommendations. Or maybe there would be, and Maths, and Mutable Instruments, and Make Noise. I'm thinking of just getting a row of Harvestman.

46 Distings, obvs. thumbs up
dubonaire
cptnal wrote:
dubonaire wrote:

46 Distings, obvs. thumbs up

92 X It's peanut butter jelly time!
electricanada
dubonaire wrote:

Everyone should have at least three A-155/154 pairs.
luchog
dubonaire wrote:

Metasonix. Fill it with tooooobz. Dead Banana
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next [all]
Page 15 of 16