MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

on the topic of not buying any more modules
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next [all]
Author on the topic of not buying any more modules
cornutt
lisa wrote:

But.. I’m using it. I record something every week. I just want to stop buying modules. smile

Unless it's straining your finances, I wouldn't worry about it. These things go in cycles, and at some point you'll say to yourself, "I'm going to really learn what I've got before I buy any more", but if you're not there yet, and you can do so without starving or having the utilities cut off, buy to your heart's content. I don't know if I'll ever have another buying splurge like my last big one about nine years ago, but I'll never stop looking for new things.
lisa
I could put in $2000-3000 a month if I wanted to. Money isn’t an issue. However, I’ve got a great set of modules now. Lots to explore, an almost full case and no desire to get a bigger one or another.

I’ve made music all along but the last year I’ve also put in 1000 hours in researching modules. That needs to stop. I’ll start working again soon (has been on parental leave since November) and time will be more scarce as a result.
mousegarden
cornutt wrote:
lisa wrote:

But.. I’m using it. I record something every week. I just want to stop buying modules. smile

Unless it's straining your finances, I wouldn't worry about it. These things go in cycles, and at some point you'll say to yourself, "I'm going to really learn what I've got before I buy any more", but if you're not there yet, and you can do so without starving or having the utilities cut off, buy to your heart's content. I don't know if I'll ever have another buying splurge like my last big one about nine years ago, but I'll never stop looking for new things.

Trouble is, even with a small collection of modules it's impossible to really exhaust the possibilities or learn them "fully" so this aspect doesn't really affect buying new modules. How many of us actually know our systems inside out every socket and function, and know exactly what's going to happen if we put this jack into this one? I think buying new modules is a quick and easy way to inject new flavours into the recipe.
Pelsea
Despite the urge for new sounds I mentioned on another thread, there come times when it is best to further explore the resources we have. The possibilities of even a simple rig approach infinity in the same way that a chessboard does. Sometimes you can transform an instrument simply by moving one module. The difference may seem subtle, but we are talking about music here.
suboptimal
There are a few elements that contributed to my no longer feeling any urge to buy new modules:

-At some point my system became an instrument.

-The few modules I have that I regard as expendable aren't really on the "lusty" end of the market anymore, for no reason other than lack of hype, so they don't sell in any event.

-Having been through years of cycling I know what I want, and that's what I have.

-Once your modular becomes an instrument, there are more important places to invest your gear budget, like effects, complimentary instruments (drum machines, a polysynth, a bass guitar), recording tools, and so on.

-I have a separate bank account for my gear purchases and keep tight discipline on maintaining a closed budget loop (new money rarely goes in). When I adopted this approach it was frustrating, but now the imposed perspective is routine.
in_sherman
anyone know any release dates for harvestman mkiv modules are out? i'm not trying to buy at this point, just looking........
zengomi
On a module buying hiatus.

Sights set on ADDAC901M 21U Monster Frame.

Then, back to module buying.
synkrotron
zengomi wrote:
On a module buying hiatus.

Sights set on ADDAC901M 21U Monster Frame.

Then, back to module buying.

My goodness! woah
zengomi
Modular chamber orchestra model w00t
synkrotron
zengomi wrote:
Modular chamber orchestra model w00t

Haha! Indeed Mr. Green
mousegarden
Wouldn't it be good to have a room built where the walls were just covered in power rails, that way you could literally cover the walls in modules, wouldn't be hard to do either. You'd have to have a refrigerated cupboard somewhere to house all the PSU's.
lostinspace
I just like to limit myself to 6u 104HP and not move beyond it. If I want to add something then something needs to be removed. I feel as though constraints help with creativity, but sometimes the opposite is true.
starthief
My last two modules (Jackalope passive tuning fork/piezo mic, and Bard Ivan) are on their way here. My modular's full and done. Not necessarily frozen forever, but I'm not looking for anything anymore and that makes a big difference. smile
hlprmnky
I just started in on this hobby after a little more than a year of discovering electronic music making on my iPad (where a "module" ranges in price from free to perhaps USD25) and finding myself enjoying what I could do, but also constantly barking my shins on the limitations of MIDI when what I wanted to be doing was controlling this thing from the output of that thing, or feeding this sound into that other component over there.

I think that Mylar Melodies puts it very well in his podcasts - playing modular is a hobby, and reading/researching/building modular is a hobby, and it's hard to pursue both at the same time. After doing a lot of the latter over the last few months, I have built out one 3U 84hp rack that gives me the ability to control a couple of complex voices (Plaits/Rings and BIA), send them out to speakers, and collaborate with the iPad both for using the apps I have and for recording.

I didn't buy that all in one go, but pretty quickly, over maybe three weeks. I definitely feel like now I have something I can spend my hobby time exploring for ...well, who knows? - probably a lifetime at least. I'm sure at some point I will have the desire to expand, but when I do I think it will be because I am again barking my shins on something I want to do and can't (or can't easily) with the little rack I have, rather than the virtuous cycle of "read about new module -> watch excellent demos of new module on youtube -> desire new module in the abstract".
Fuseball
hlprmnky wrote:
I think that Mylar Melodies puts it very well in his podcasts - playing modular is a hobby, and reading/researching/building modular is a hobby, and it's hard to pursue both at the same time. After doing a lot of the latter over the last few months, I have built out one 3U 84hp rack that gives me the ability to control a couple of complex voices (Plaits/Rings and BIA), send them out to speakers, and collaborate with the iPad both for using the apps I have and for recording.

I didn't buy that all in one go, but pretty quickly, over maybe three weeks. I definitely feel like now I have something I can spend my hobby time exploring for ...well, who knows? - probably a lifetime at least. I'm sure at some point I will have the desire to expand, but when I do I think it will be because I am again barking my shins on something I want to do and can't (or can't easily) with the little rack I have, rather than the virtuous cycle of "read about new module -> watch excellent demos of new module on youtube -> desire new module in the abstract".

That sounds remarkably similar to my own experience and approach to building a rack. I've deliberately stuck to a 3U 84hp rack, with the express purpose of loosening up the way I make music (usually precisely arranged pieces with fixed architecture synths), and also to integrate some hardware that didn't previously fit (Analog Four and 0-Coast). I'm only really interested in modules that offer me something I can't easily get any other way and fit the music I want to make.

In my case that's largely MI modules, and once I've added a clock divider and, probably, Plaits then I'll be done for quite a while. I'm waking up every day bursting with ideas for what I can do with just the simple setup I currently have. Any more, for me, would be overwhelming and counter-productive.
Blairio
lisa wrote:
I could put in $2000-3000 a month if I wanted to. Money isn’t an issue. However, I’ve got a great set of modules now. Lots to explore, an almost full case and no desire to get a bigger one or another.

I’ve made music all along but the last year I’ve also put in 1000 hours in researching modules. That needs to stop. I’ll start working again soon (has been on parental leave since November) and time will be more scarce as a result.

Actually, having children will make significant inroads into your modular time! Mine are adults a now, but when they were young, time spent with them was precious - and they grow up fast.

I think the physical size of modules contributes to module flipping behaviour. They are small, and it is easy to lose track of the money tied up in them.

A few of my favourite synth or drum machine purchases are between £250 and £350, in other words the midrange for complex oscillators or fancy-dan sequencers. I would think long and hard about getting another synth because of space constraints, or selling one, because of the sounds (and value) that could be lost. I struggle to think of modules in the same way, because they have less physical presence. Also, without total recall I may not get back a favourite sound anyway.
daniu
I have been seriously downsizing just for the sake of having a musical output. I find constraints are very beneficial for me personally.
Yes Powder
I have a new rack coming on Monday. It was nice not buying for a while, but I have a better idea of how ai work and what I want out of a system, so it has to happen.
lisa
Two month ago since I made my last order and about a month ago since I got the last module. I have felt temptation to make a few changes but persevered in my abstinence. wink I've also started working again and I'm definitely keeping up my productivity. So, all good thus far. Bananallama!
vidret
how strong of you applause

I think when first getting into this you need to figure stuff out, so just getting a 3U and going on a killing spree is fine. It's the next move that decides where you end up.

I decided to get a 6U case and stick to it, so if anything wants in something else has to go, works quite well so far.
matthewjuran
But why are you making sounds, and does what you’re doing really help you do it?

I think the good answers tend to be personal and unique and that being in the healthy category is better.
Blairio
matthewjuran wrote:
But why are you making sounds, and does what you’re doing really help you do it?

I think the good answers tend to be personal and unique and that being in the healthy category is better.

I think I see what you mean, but a personal and unique answer is just that - personal and unique, and therefore not readily applicable to anyone else as advice.

Certainly there are prudent principles that can be followed- such as don't spend beyond your means, and don't put gear acquisition ahead of musical creativity - but I suspect most folk already know these. The challenge is sticking to those principles, in a world full of shiny, clever, beguiling new modules.

Resource constraints generally keep me in check. Sometimes they are to do with space, other times money, or time, or even patience. For instance:

No more free rack space
No disposable income (unless I ignore bills)
No time in a project lifecycle to integrate a new piece of kit
Not enough patience to learn about another new piece of kit, and all its foibles.

There is no silver bullet for GAS.
mousegarden
Blairio wrote:
matthewjuran wrote:

I think I see what you mean, but a personal and unique answer is just that - personal and unique, and therefore not readily applicable to anyone else as advice.

Certainly there are prudent principles that can be followed- such as don't spend beyond your means, and don't put gear acquisition ahead of musical creativity - but I suspect most folk already know these. The challenge is sticking to those principles, in a world full of shiny, clever, beguiling new modules.

Resource constraints generally keep me in check. Sometimes they are to do with space, other times money, or time, or even patience. For instance:

No more free rack space
No disposable income (unless I ignore bills)
No time in a project lifecycle to integrate a new piece of kit
Not enough patience to learn about another new piece of kit, and all its foibles.

There is no silver bullet for GAS.

I think in a lot of pursuits, you can always strive to get "better tools"but musical instruments aern't like that. There is no such thing as better, it's just something different. So, that puts paid to the "before I upgrade I'll get rid of something" theory. I can't get rid of my Moog, it's unique, I can't get rid of my Korg Triton, it's very different to my Moog and it's supremely versatile.
Now, if I had three Moogs and ten 90's synths then it gets a bit awckward, as I don't really "need them" You have to draw the line and not be tempted to get things just for the sake of it.
Grumble

This is my Eurorack "system"....
Should I build or buy? seriously, i just don't get it
cptnal
Grumble wrote:

This is my Eurorack "system"....
Should I build or buy? seriously, i just don't get it

Depends whether your power supply is up to having another module in there. Perhaps limit it to a passive mult just in case. hmmm.....
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next [all]
Page 3 of 15