MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

on the topic of not buying any more modules
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author on the topic of not buying any more modules
lisa
It's a classic cliche in the modular community that the acquisition of new modules is like a drug ("eurocrack" meh) and that you won't be able to control it. I figured that there must be loads of folks out there that contradict that cliche (or, perhaps I'm hoping for that to be the case since I just decided myself to be done with the purchases).

Have you stopped or scaled down drastically on your module acquisitions? Was it a conscious decision or did the GAS just leave you? Are you still using your modular rack or did that interest go with the GAS?
placebo92
There's some nice threads on the Monome forum about this kind of stuff:

https://llllllll.co/t/the-tiny-studio-corner-thread-pt-2-now-online-on -horizontalpitch/10991
https://llllllll.co/t/has-anyone-sold-nearly-everything/4782
https://llllllll.co/t/42-54-hp-lunchbox-inspiration/10620/122
https://llllllll.co/t/104-hp-inspiration/6084/147

Please don't ostracize me. I just browse there I swear we're not worthy
magnetsandlasers
I get bad GAS from looking at empty hp in my system. Full rows are the only cure. I am holding off my next expansion until fall/winter although I did just buy a module today (it was cheap!) to qualify for free shipping on an order of cables help
notmiserlouagain
At one point I was feeling things like coupling to reward system, "needing",
risky money calculations, waning interest after hasty consumption... waah
And no good recordings whatsoever.
Then I had to sell it all to cover my red numbers.
I built myself a couple of synths, filters, delays, matrix. etc. + cheap pedals,
and since then making electronic music is fun again
Although I don´t see the need anymore to record anything I do Guinness ftw!
Mostly I´m into westafrican guitar atm Rockin' Banana!
moremagic
i installed my last new module in january, and leaving my rack in one arrangement all year has been such a blessing, now i can play it in the dark comfortably

i came into it with a very clear idea of what i wanted and it still took the better part of 2 years to get my instrument to this state, and i was a broke student and portability was of primary importance, so i play a 6U

a year per row does seem kinda reasonable for assimilation, especially given the huge array of choices and disparate design philosophies in euro
Carrousel
Have only bought one module this year and it was a genuine accidental purchase: a dealer contacted me with a particular offer that was too good to turn down. Other than that i haven’t bought any eurorack in maybe a year. No conscious decision, it just happened naturally. Part of it was a lack of loose money whilst I was buying a house, but mainly I think I’m just really content with the 12u I have. Feel like I could patch it all day every day and I still wouldn’t have fully explored it by the time I die. Plus it works exactly in the way I want / expect it to and I don’t get any weird or nasty surpsrises happening (eg tuning, timing accuracy etc).

I’ve also felt that increasing my rack beyond 12u would probably be detrimental, or at the very least represent diminishing returns, so I’ll probbaly buy, sell and swap now rather than expand. I got deep into eurorack not long after starting to acquire hardware in general, so there are lots of ‘regular’ synths I’d love to buy and try which I never got round to once the euro bug bit me. So I’ll probably prioritise that over euro purchases for now. Although the euro still remains front and centre of my studio and indeed my workflow, and I don’t see that changing.
cptnal
Reminds me of a thread I posted a while ago....

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=189437&highlight=

I have categories 1-3 pretty much covered now, and whenever I see a new thing my first impulse, rather than "must have" is "how can I do that with what I already have?"

Example: Whenever I think I need a new oscillator I know it's time to start getting into Shapeshifter again. eek!

All subject to change at a moment's notice of course. Dead Banana
dubonaire
There are plenty of threads on this. I buy 1-2 modules a year.
chamomileshark
I stopped this year - but that was just to complete the frac Rack system so in fact I think it's probably been about 8 years of not buying anything other than patch cables.

Choosing Frac certainly helps because there is less choice. I got a Wiard 300 system and that more or less meets all my needs.
Shledge
I've stopped since April. I can't really impulse buy modules since I plan everything beforehand.

I may plan on replacing some modules, but other than that I'm pretty happy with what I have now.
starthief
I did a lot of module trading to get to this point -- about 100 modules in and 50 out over the course of two years.

I'm reaching the endgame though. 3 modules left to sell, 3 left to buy to fill the remaining 15HP, and then the Brownian motion slows to... not quite absolute zero probably, but 1-2 modules a year sounds like a good goal.

Part of me still wants to try completely different systems -- a Verbos/Sputnik box would be lovely, and I could spend all kinds of time designing fantasy modular systems with other modules I haven't tried. Not just sound sources, but all sorts of controllers and sequencers. But I'm also extremely happy with the system I've got now, in terms of its sound and flow and possibilities. I've got a lifetime's worth of stuff to explore right here on my desk.
BenA718
Once my rack got two complete voices along with the Pluck, aside from a couple of utility modules, I've not purchased anything in months ... well, it's been like two months, but still smile . There are, obviously, more modules that I would like to have but I have more than enough to make music with at this point and space/available power is becoming a serious concern.
kindredlost
The best laugh I can have is to tell myself I don't need any more. Ideas for musical avenues change and module acquisition follows obediently.

Trading off some for others is a natural thing too. Expansion is harder for me due to physical studio space but the yearning for trying new modules and patch ideas is not something I see diminishing anytime soon.
Dcramer
It’s been fairly easy for me as 1, I tend to buy modules based on some function they supply that can’t be duplicated by something I already have. And 2, I never sell or trade a module, I’ve kept everyone I’ve ever bought.
Now that I’m upwards of 150 of the little beasties, I’m running out of missing functions! woah
fac
I have two systems, a large MU system and a small eurorack. The MU system was full but I moved part of the system to a new cabinet that was slightly larger, so I gained 10 additional spaces which I thought I would fill in no time. That was more than three years ago and I haven't bought a single module.

My eurorack system was always designed to be 9U x 84hp. I bought the last module in December, 2013 and haven't felt the need to add more. I've only bought two modules in the past 5 years and none in the past 3 years.

In the past couple of years I haven't used my modulars as much as I would like to, mostly because I've been pursuing other musical interests, but I still feel like there's lots to explore with my current systems. I don't see myself buying many more modules in the future.

Another factor is that the peso/USD exchange rate has increased considerably. Prices are now around 2x what they were 10 years ago.
hippo1
I have to agree that it’s hard, over an extended period, to be satisfied with an instrument that was literally designed to ‘grow’ with you. Once I outgrew my two 9U cases, I expanded outward with totally separate ‘player’ cabs (I have a my ‘BSP case’ and my ‘drone case’...), but have been stable now for almost a year. I don’t really WANT to purchase more Euro (trying to focus on EVERYTHING ELSE, at the moment)... but also realize that it is, for me at least, fundamentally challenging for it NOT to evolve. Albeit slowly; hopefully slower than its growth-spurt at puberty!

Perhaps if I were to look at it as a complete ‘instrument’, things might be different. But...!

(I still blame you ALL for contributing to my economical demise!)

Happy wiggling!
racooniac
i am still in the initial "buildup" buying-rush and get 1-2 new modules a month. once i've reached the size i am aiming for this should change into to "switching a few modules out every half a year or year"

lets see =)
Yes Powder
With two full cases, I consider myself past the GAS stage. I mean if Metasonix were to come out with a high-pass filter then I would HAFTA HAVE IT, but right now I'm more interested in continuing to explore what I have. There's really nothing in either case that I would be willing or able to get rid of without sacrificing some vital function.
Of course I'm also kicking the idea of getting another case in a couple months, so we'll see if it comes back then, I guess.
Do5-BaG
I'm a fresh addict to the "eurocrack" officially hooked and I'm almost certain my girlfriend will leave me if any more deliveries turn up haha
Pelsea
Well, I can say my eurorack system is complete, for a given value of complete. I filled the last HP on Thursday, and performed its first set yesterday.

At the moment, I have no plans to expand beyond the current Mantis case. I have a vague feeling there may be a 3U skiff in the future, but I'm not sure I would have room.

It is not a very typical rig. There are no sequencers, sample & holds, clocks, euclidean rhythm generators or such like-- all of those functions are provided by Max/MSP on a laptop, which is the generative engine for the system. Nor are there any keyboards, touchpads, joysticks or other performance interfaces mounted in the rack. Instead, I have a MIDI interface and a panel with jacks that provide power and connections for various performance contraptions.

What it does have is enough signal generating power to produce six voices with as wide a range of textures as I could find. (I suspect a rigorous analysis of most of the medium sized rigs here would be about the same if you leave out modules that don't directly handle signal.) So I am unlikely to buy any modules in the near future.

That does not mean development is stopping. Obviously, I have a lot of Max patches to write and performance contraptions to build. Besides, only 10 of the 19 modules in my system are bought in. The others are homemade and subject to improvement. (I probably will start with the laptop DAC system) Eventually, as I find Max patches that I use a lot, I may build them into modules and put together a skiff of instant gratification.
synkrotron
I'm taking a break from buying new stuff. I have 2hp left out of 420 and I ain't rushing to fill it. I have a very small collection of modules that were removed to make way for other stuff.

No intention of scaling down...
hellfeatures
Do5-BaG wrote:
I'm a fresh addict to the "eurocrack" officially hooked and I'm almost certain my girlfriend will leave me if any more deliveries turn up haha

applause i know that feeling

i am happy with my system as is but there are plenty new concepts for modules coming to the market at the moment (tubbutec, Expert Sleepers, Befaco etc) and they are hard to ignore
Parnelli
Just about done I think, I'm building a case to hold it all together. I left a little room for some future items, like another Tetrapad and a breakout when it comes out, and anything fantastic that comes out I just cannot live without. I have a real nice setup now, and if I cannot do it then it probably doesn't need to be done.

I have never sold a module either, I'm funny like that, especially music equipment. Just as soon as I get rid of something it seems I find a need for it.
in_sherman
i have been holding off getting ANY modules at all for quite some time cool
Grumpypanda69
Easy. Cancelled my credit card after paying it off, diverted all excess income in to an account that attracts high withdrawal fees in the first 12 months & shut down all modular related eurorack.

Now I’m really able to focus on modules I actually need, and have to really scrimp to buy them.

The account will be accessed in 12+ months when my second Amalgamod will be hopefully ready.
Parnelli
(File this under threads that manufacturers hate....) MY ASS IS BLEEDING
captjrab
I have so many complex modules I want to really master, so itll take some time. Still reading manuals for some modules Ive had for years.
I guess Im still game for 1-2 modules a year, maybe something on the more experimental chaos side or perhaps an upgrade of something. No more wide eyed scrolling on Modular Grid tho.
Sync
I'm at the point where I'm re-assessing the value of certain modules-- and the ones with more hp definitely stick out and have to earn their keep. At the moment I've a single case of 12U/104hp that'll be full as soon as a module that's been on backorder arrives. Other than that, I have a 32hp Doepfer mini that I use for staging and testing individual modules (or at least, ones that fit in 32...

I've already eliminated my Morphagene since I didn't find the workflow very flexible, mostly just useful for random experimentation and that's not quite enough for me. And my 4MS STS really killed it once I got that. I'm considering a Qu-Bit Nebulae V2 as well, due to the time-shifting ability and support for custom coding, and it overlaps the Morphagene in a few ways as well.

In order to fit a Nebulae, I'm taking a long hard look at my Rainmaker-- an awesome module but it really eats up massive real-estate, and it's also pretty hard to use for other than just random experimentation or the canned presets. Configuring 16 taps is not what I want to spend all that much time on. Haven't yet decided, given its power, but its footprint makes it a prime candidate for replacement. And not like I'm completely opposed to random experimentation, but if I'm wanting something specific and it's too hard to get it to deliver, it's edging towards the chopping block. Plus, the Nebulae may be capable of delivering some similar results given its ability for custom code. I'll likely get a Nebulae for "evaluation" and decide what to keep at that point. I am using the Rainmaker regularly though, unlike the Morphagene, so I could very well miss it if it comes to that.

I also downsized my Ornament & Crime to the slim version, though I'm keeping my original one in my test skiff because I'm experimenting with coding changes on it. And I'm eyeing at least one more Disting MK4 because of it's really low profile and high flexibility. Especially looking for skinny modules that can be multi-function. Recently discovered the Happy Nerding 3x MIA which is a 3x attenuverter/offset in 6hp that doubles as an up to 6x mixer, and I'm loving that.

And I'm wondering about my Muxlicer. It's pretty well thought out and was inexpensive and easy to build, but as a sequencer it's a little weak and I'm not finding a big need for much multiplexing. That could change though, and it was dirt cheap so I'll likely hang onto it-- whether it'll stay in the rack though, remains to be seen. For more power and lower profile in sequencing, I'm eyeing a Mimetic Digitalis.

I also ended up getting a Doepfer module that is not at all "skiff friendly" and won't fit in anything except my test rack (module is the A-137-1). So for that, and to give me one more shot at more room, I'm looking at getting a Doepfer A-100LC3A case as my (hopefully) last main expansion. I may dump the A-137-1 as well, but I'd like to know I have a place for a deep module should I need it so I'm keeping it for testing of that for now. And another 84hp in the A-100LC3A could allow me to keep the Rainmaker if I'm not able to bear letting go of it and the Nebulae ends up indispensable. And I know I'm going to want at least one more Mutable Instruments module before I'm done too, so I'll need to allow for that.

It's an ongoing battle, but for the moment I've only got three modules not in a case, two 6hp ones and a 4hp one. The two 6's will probably get sold off eventually, since the reason they're not installed is they're mostly redundant.
Dilibob
I think there's a big difference on expanding systems between Buchla/EU/5u/soft.

Buchla is more of a integrated instrument, where the pieces need to make sense in relationship to each other - so expanding is kind of tricky and often unneeded.

5u requires a lot of modules to do things, I often use 3 envelopes and 3-5 oscillators for a single sound. I think having one wall is practically required if you have a "sound" in your mind, then need to patch things up to create that sound. I think with 5u starting off with a minimal system is kind of stressful if your trying to create new sounds (is ok if your playing keyboard and just want to do "classic" stuff).

Eu is a different story, with just 3 modules you can do some crazy things. Also learning a module so you can use it intuitively takes a long time. On 5u I have a couple of ++ modules, and I'm no were close to using them in a intuitive manner (i.e. they are the last things I use, and often have to break open the manual). EU also I find it's really great to test things in software, so I get in hardware only what I know I can use them.

Soft-ware modules (i.e. native instruments, softube, etc ...) I have a tendency to get way too many, just play with them to see if my mind sync's with the interface. The problem I have on this front is I never get to the point of intuitive use, and modules that are great but take some time to learn, I have to tendency to skip over. As a side note, I lean to software modules for granular for this same reason, in that I haven't spent enough time with just a limited set of EU granular modules for them to click in my brain (even though I think I'd probably be able to grow more musically if I had a limited set of EU granular modules).
boramx
i *think* some things become clear to most people after a year or 2-

- you can really get too obsessive and trainspotty. feels like a waste of time. the demos, while good, are often 20-30 mins long! that adds up. if you start GASing you can could easily spend 5 or more, 10 hours of your week reading up on shit and Ytubing. Researching shit you won't even buy.
- many need to sell something in order to buy. selling isn't as fast or easy as it was 5-10 years ago. too much stuff out there, used market is 5x the size it was then. i hate going to the post office. i hate boxing stuff up. again - i feel like i'm wasting my time/money. i think others probably feel this way.
- start to feel a shift from having honeymoons the first week of new gear to having better rewards several months/years in with certain modules. After plateau-ing, but then suddenly new sounds or methods. Usually once you know what you're doing you can always find new sounds regardless. Ditching modules starts to feel impulsive and destructive compared with simply playing the synth as it is and trying to make something good.
mg05
I really like the term 'Gear Acquisition Syndrome" as it describes what it is: a certain type of addiction.

So stopping to buy modules (and/or other gear) is easy when you're not addicted.

If you suffer of one (or multiple) addiction like GAS then the behaviour is gone more or less out of control. I doubt if one say 'I'll buy only 1-2 modules a year' or 'only when I sell something' will work for most of the addicts.

Maybe it will work for a certain time. But I can really imagine the addictive behaviour is only surpressed or it turns out one starts to buy other cool musical gear instead or the addiction manifests in another way (different addictive behaviour, other drugs).

Muffwiggler is a nice place also for hiding addiction (I'm not addicted just having a bit of GAS haha) or it's a nice place for having fun and exchange with other GAS addictive and non-addictive people too.

But from the very beginning I registered in Muffwiggler I was wondering why there isn't a main forum topic for people really being out of control with GAS. It seemed so obvious. But probably (or hopefully) the need is not that high or maybe it's not wanted - because
it's Christmas and the module is out there and still exist in my head for such a long time, nurturing my desire to buy it, to play with it, to possess it. It would fit so good into my rack, it would make so nice sounds. If I had it the module released me from my needs, I controlled the voltage, the flow of energy through the module and me. Pure music. In my hands, it was the missing piece, I was complete then and felt happiness and peace in my mind.
Only one more module, only this module.
Yeah, Eurorack is a slot machine.
cornutt
I've been through two periods of intense acquisition with mine. The first was back when I got started with it, in order to build up some useable capability. The second was when Synth Tech discontinued its MOTM kits; I bought as many as I could before they were sold out.

I didn't buy any modules last year because most of my non-playing musical labor was going into building a case, and until I finished that, I didn't have more room for any more modules; at that point I already had several modules that I didn't have room for. However, now that I have room, I've since bought two modules from Corsynth, and a used Q119 -- my first analog sequencer -- as well as finally mounting up those modules that had been languishing in boxes for a couple of years. I'm getting back into kit building with a Stroh Mirror Core VCO kit that I'm working on now, and I'm in on the Kickstarter for the Dove Audio window-transform VCO. At this stage, I'm looking for things that are different (and modifiable) -- for the most part I have all of the bread-and-butter modules that I need. I'm also getting the urge again to build some modules of my own design, and this time, I want to do it right -- no more proto boards hanging off of plywood panels.
unexpectedbowtie
Quote:
Have you stopped or scaled down drastically on your module acquisitions? Was it a conscious decision or did the GAS just leave you? Are you still using your modular rack or did that interest go with the GAS?

I bought a lot of modules over the first year or so... and then picked up a couple after that, and then stopped. I found myself swapping out modules that I didn't like, and now things are mostly settled. I have a few higher value ones that could go to make some money back - but I don't want to leave a gaping hole.

In some ways GAS left me, but I also had such a large system that I wanted to spend time getting to know it. I enjoyed it for some time and then my inspiration for writing/recording music generally went into a lull, so I am doing my best to recapture that. I do think that interest in gear and interest in recording has a correlation for me though, which isn't necessarily great.
chvad
i havent purchased a module in a couple of years it seems. the only one i want is the happy nerding 6 channel mixer but i still haven't had the want to buy it. nothing else that's come out has really grabbed me in a long while. there seemed to be a horde of menu driven, screen laden, firmware updated, push multiple things for hidden functions stuff that really was the opposite of what i want in my modular or stuff so mired in kooky lingo and graphics it just wasn't appealing at all. i spent a number of years getting the stuff i had and i enjoyed the process but the system usually stays where it's at these days and I just use what I have.
bobdylan
Once I was introduced to the beauty of blind panels, my GAS was definitely sedated. Although it comes out in a fit of fiery passion sometimes. Right now it's distracted from eurorack, but has eyes for a Blofeld. help
Synnic
I have 2 Doepfer cases for a total of 12Ux84hp and a HEK for overflow. So far my pattern is mostly making purchases of between 2 and 4 modules together once or twice a year. I mostly buy things I have had a chance to go hands on with. My goal is to finish filling up the Doepfer cases and then pause for a while.

These are my ModularGrid links for the Doepfer casese:

I plan to add a Planar 2 sometime soon.
gis_sweden
boramx wrote:
i *think* some things become clear to most people after a year or 2...

I think you’re right! Under my avatar you have my time in the business. I have 2 cases. Total hp = 356. I have focused on analog modules with “classic” functions. I have some modules to solder and 1 or 2 on the want-to-buy-list.
My intention is to keep this hobby compact. Maybe I buy/build a small (32-48 hp) case. A just in case case…
Right now, I’m waiting for a mouser delivery… Still some “will advise” and dates.
dooj88
the eurorack cycle

1) awe, confusion
2) discovery, enamoration
3) BUY AND LEARN ALL THE THINGS
4) GAS equilibrium and patching stasis
5) jaded overanalysis <--- you are here
6) no longer patching and/or selling modules
7) paring down rack, reinvogoration
[return to one]
synkrotron
gis_sweden wrote:
I have 2 cases. Total hp = 356.

Interesting... I've not kept up to speed with your setup. Is it on MG by any chance? I'd love to see what you have installed to get your Krell patches going smile
synkrotron
1) awe, confusion
2) discovery, enamoration
3) BUY AND LEARN ALL THE THINGS
4) GAS equilibrium and patching stasis <--- I think I am here
5) jaded overanalysis
6) no longer patching and/or selling modules
7) paring down rack, reinvogoration
Tronman
I built my system up to an 88-space Dotcom-based MU system, eventually sold 3/4 of it, built it back up to 88+ spaces, sold the whole thing, then eventually bought an 11-space system. That's where I'm staying.
mousegarden
Lisa, please don't get caught up in the down-sizing-up-sizing never ending dilemma. I've done it, it's a waste of time and energy.
I'm not saying this to justify buying anything, or holding on to anything, but if you are enjoying and using your modular then what's the problem?
Also, it's not easy selling modules, despite what some people say, it's just not worth taking the often huge loss in financial terms.
You're better off just holding on to everything, unless, you really really do need the money for food rent etc. And buy new modules, why not? I guarantee that if you have a clear out you'll be building your system up again in no time at all.
Also, if you have a major change of direction musically, leran the Oboe or Bassoon or something, still don't sell anything unless you really have to.
I'll tell you this.......
When I got my modular it enabled me to do things that I had never been able to do with any other instrument, but you get used to this feeling, and you tend to dismiss it a bit, but if you do decide to downsize, you suddenly realise that all those wonderful unique things you could do have gone! So in my case, I desperately went out and bought back stuff I'd sold!! as I realised just how valuable my old modular was.
lisa
mousegarden wrote:
Lisa, please don't get caught up in the down-sizing-up-sizing never ending dilemma. I've done it, it's a waste of time and energy.

No worries! I have no such plan. Quite the contrary; I won’t buy or sell any modules for a while. I was just looking for some moral support or good examples of people who succeeded in this ”impossible” undertaking, I guess.
fac
Staying out of forums (including Muff's) helps a lot against GAS. Forums and discussion groups are the main GAS inducers.
mousegarden
lisa wrote:
mousegarden wrote:

No worries! I have no such plan. Quite the contrary; I won’t buy or sell any modules for a while. I was just looking for some moral support or good examples of people who succeeded in this ”impossible” undertaking, I guess.

Good idea, or, even, put your modular away for awhile, and see how you feel.
synkrotron
fac wrote:
Staying out of forums (including Muff's) helps a lot against GAS. Forums and discussion groups are the main GAS inducers.

Yeah, and stop watching them pesky DivKid videos!
lisa
mousegarden wrote:
Good idea, or, even, put your modular away for awhile, and see how you feel.

But.. I’m using it. I record something every week. I just want to stop buying modules. smile
Shledge
I'd never downsize. What I have now is just about at the cusp where it's still fairly wieldy to use. Any bigger and I'd need really long cables, or worse, have "islands" of different functions meaning endless reorganisation.
starthief
fac wrote:

Yeah.

When I'm playing my synth, there have been a few times I've wanted/needed some other thing: attenuators, manual gates, another VCA, envelopes that are easier to work with, a limiter, more audio interface inputs. Things that enable and enhance actually playing with what I have. This has gotten rarer as I've filled in those needs.

But when I read forums and watch videos etc. suddenly I want a Lyra-8 and every Verbos module and a Zorx Ring Leader and a Planar and a Tetrapad and five more pedals and a Rhodes and.... there is no end to that road.
Futuresound
I've decided to stop buying modules because I'm running out of space, and frankly, my modular cost has gotten out of hand.

I'm just going to focus on buying high end hardware compressors and EQs instead.

Mr. Green
cornutt
lisa wrote:

But.. I’m using it. I record something every week. I just want to stop buying modules. smile

Unless it's straining your finances, I wouldn't worry about it. These things go in cycles, and at some point you'll say to yourself, "I'm going to really learn what I've got before I buy any more", but if you're not there yet, and you can do so without starving or having the utilities cut off, buy to your heart's content. I don't know if I'll ever have another buying splurge like my last big one about nine years ago, but I'll never stop looking for new things.
lisa
I could put in $2000-3000 a month if I wanted to. Money isn’t an issue. However, I’ve got a great set of modules now. Lots to explore, an almost full case and no desire to get a bigger one or another.

I’ve made music all along but the last year I’ve also put in 1000 hours in researching modules. That needs to stop. I’ll start working again soon (has been on parental leave since November) and time will be more scarce as a result.
mousegarden
cornutt wrote:
lisa wrote:

Unless it's straining your finances, I wouldn't worry about it. These things go in cycles, and at some point you'll say to yourself, "I'm going to really learn what I've got before I buy any more", but if you're not there yet, and you can do so without starving or having the utilities cut off, buy to your heart's content. I don't know if I'll ever have another buying splurge like my last big one about nine years ago, but I'll never stop looking for new things.

Trouble is, even with a small collection of modules it's impossible to really exhaust the possibilities or learn them "fully" so this aspect doesn't really affect buying new modules. How many of us actually know our systems inside out every socket and function, and know exactly what's going to happen if we put this jack into this one? I think buying new modules is a quick and easy way to inject new flavours into the recipe.
Pelsea
Despite the urge for new sounds I mentioned on another thread, there come times when it is best to further explore the resources we have. The possibilities of even a simple rig approach infinity in the same way that a chessboard does. Sometimes you can transform an instrument simply by moving one module. The difference may seem subtle, but we are talking about music here.
suboptimal
There are a few elements that contributed to my no longer feeling any urge to buy new modules:

-At some point my system became an instrument.

-The few modules I have that I regard as expendable aren't really on the "lusty" end of the market anymore, for no reason other than lack of hype, so they don't sell in any event.

-Having been through years of cycling I know what I want, and that's what I have.

-Once your modular becomes an instrument, there are more important places to invest your gear budget, like effects, complimentary instruments (drum machines, a polysynth, a bass guitar), recording tools, and so on.

-I have a separate bank account for my gear purchases and keep tight discipline on maintaining a closed budget loop (new money rarely goes in). When I adopted this approach it was frustrating, but now the imposed perspective is routine.
in_sherman
anyone know any release dates for harvestman mkiv modules are out? i'm not trying to buy at this point, just looking........
zengomi
On a module buying hiatus.

Sights set on ADDAC901M 21U Monster Frame.

Then, back to module buying.
synkrotron
zengomi wrote:
On a module buying hiatus.

Sights set on ADDAC901M 21U Monster Frame.

Then, back to module buying.

My goodness! woah
zengomi
Modular chamber orchestra model w00t
synkrotron
zengomi wrote:
Modular chamber orchestra model w00t

Haha! Indeed Mr. Green
mousegarden
Wouldn't it be good to have a room built where the walls were just covered in power rails, that way you could literally cover the walls in modules, wouldn't be hard to do either. You'd have to have a refrigerated cupboard somewhere to house all the PSU's.
lostinspace
I just like to limit myself to 6u 104HP and not move beyond it. If I want to add something then something needs to be removed. I feel as though constraints help with creativity, but sometimes the opposite is true.
starthief
My last two modules (Jackalope passive tuning fork/piezo mic, and Bard Ivan) are on their way here. My modular's full and done. Not necessarily frozen forever, but I'm not looking for anything anymore and that makes a big difference. smile
hlprmnky
I just started in on this hobby after a little more than a year of discovering electronic music making on my iPad (where a "module" ranges in price from free to perhaps USD25) and finding myself enjoying what I could do, but also constantly barking my shins on the limitations of MIDI when what I wanted to be doing was controlling this thing from the output of that thing, or feeding this sound into that other component over there.

I think that Mylar Melodies puts it very well in his podcasts - playing modular is a hobby, and reading/researching/building modular is a hobby, and it's hard to pursue both at the same time. After doing a lot of the latter over the last few months, I have built out one 3U 84hp rack that gives me the ability to control a couple of complex voices (Plaits/Rings and BIA), send them out to speakers, and collaborate with the iPad both for using the apps I have and for recording.

I didn't buy that all in one go, but pretty quickly, over maybe three weeks. I definitely feel like now I have something I can spend my hobby time exploring for ...well, who knows? - probably a lifetime at least. I'm sure at some point I will have the desire to expand, but when I do I think it will be because I am again barking my shins on something I want to do and can't (or can't easily) with the little rack I have, rather than the virtuous cycle of "read about new module -> watch excellent demos of new module on youtube -> desire new module in the abstract".
Fuseball
hlprmnky wrote:
I think that Mylar Melodies puts it very well in his podcasts - playing modular is a hobby, and reading/researching/building modular is a hobby, and it's hard to pursue both at the same time. After doing a lot of the latter over the last few months, I have built out one 3U 84hp rack that gives me the ability to control a couple of complex voices (Plaits/Rings and BIA), send them out to speakers, and collaborate with the iPad both for using the apps I have and for recording.

I didn't buy that all in one go, but pretty quickly, over maybe three weeks. I definitely feel like now I have something I can spend my hobby time exploring for ...well, who knows? - probably a lifetime at least. I'm sure at some point I will have the desire to expand, but when I do I think it will be because I am again barking my shins on something I want to do and can't (or can't easily) with the little rack I have, rather than the virtuous cycle of "read about new module -> watch excellent demos of new module on youtube -> desire new module in the abstract".

That sounds remarkably similar to my own experience and approach to building a rack. I've deliberately stuck to a 3U 84hp rack, with the express purpose of loosening up the way I make music (usually precisely arranged pieces with fixed architecture synths), and also to integrate some hardware that didn't previously fit (Analog Four and 0-Coast). I'm only really interested in modules that offer me something I can't easily get any other way and fit the music I want to make.

In my case that's largely MI modules, and once I've added a clock divider and, probably, Plaits then I'll be done for quite a while. I'm waking up every day bursting with ideas for what I can do with just the simple setup I currently have. Any more, for me, would be overwhelming and counter-productive.
Blairio
lisa wrote:
I could put in $2000-3000 a month if I wanted to. Money isn’t an issue. However, I’ve got a great set of modules now. Lots to explore, an almost full case and no desire to get a bigger one or another.

I’ve made music all along but the last year I’ve also put in 1000 hours in researching modules. That needs to stop. I’ll start working again soon (has been on parental leave since November) and time will be more scarce as a result.

Actually, having children will make significant inroads into your modular time! Mine are adults a now, but when they were young, time spent with them was precious - and they grow up fast.

I think the physical size of modules contributes to module flipping behaviour. They are small, and it is easy to lose track of the money tied up in them.

A few of my favourite synth or drum machine purchases are between £250 and £350, in other words the midrange for complex oscillators or fancy-dan sequencers. I would think long and hard about getting another synth because of space constraints, or selling one, because of the sounds (and value) that could be lost. I struggle to think of modules in the same way, because they have less physical presence. Also, without total recall I may not get back a favourite sound anyway.
daniu
I have been seriously downsizing just for the sake of having a musical output. I find constraints are very beneficial for me personally.
Yes Powder
I have a new rack coming on Monday. It was nice not buying for a while, but I have a better idea of how ai work and what I want out of a system, so it has to happen.
lisa
Two month ago since I made my last order and about a month ago since I got the last module. I have felt temptation to make a few changes but persevered in my abstinence. wink I've also started working again and I'm definitely keeping up my productivity. So, all good thus far. Bananallama!
vidret
how strong of you applause

I think when first getting into this you need to figure stuff out, so just getting a 3U and going on a killing spree is fine. It's the next move that decides where you end up.

I decided to get a 6U case and stick to it, so if anything wants in something else has to go, works quite well so far.
matthewjuran
But why are you making sounds, and does what you’re doing really help you do it?

I think the good answers tend to be personal and unique and that being in the healthy category is better.
Blairio
matthewjuran wrote:
But why are you making sounds, and does what you’re doing really help you do it?

I think the good answers tend to be personal and unique and that being in the healthy category is better.

I think I see what you mean, but a personal and unique answer is just that - personal and unique, and therefore not readily applicable to anyone else as advice.

Certainly there are prudent principles that can be followed- such as don't spend beyond your means, and don't put gear acquisition ahead of musical creativity - but I suspect most folk already know these. The challenge is sticking to those principles, in a world full of shiny, clever, beguiling new modules.

Resource constraints generally keep me in check. Sometimes they are to do with space, other times money, or time, or even patience. For instance:

No more free rack space
No disposable income (unless I ignore bills)
No time in a project lifecycle to integrate a new piece of kit
Not enough patience to learn about another new piece of kit, and all its foibles.

There is no silver bullet for GAS.
mousegarden
Blairio wrote:
matthewjuran wrote:

I think I see what you mean, but a personal and unique answer is just that - personal and unique, and therefore not readily applicable to anyone else as advice.

Certainly there are prudent principles that can be followed- such as don't spend beyond your means, and don't put gear acquisition ahead of musical creativity - but I suspect most folk already know these. The challenge is sticking to those principles, in a world full of shiny, clever, beguiling new modules.

Resource constraints generally keep me in check. Sometimes they are to do with space, other times money, or time, or even patience. For instance:

No more free rack space
No disposable income (unless I ignore bills)
No time in a project lifecycle to integrate a new piece of kit
Not enough patience to learn about another new piece of kit, and all its foibles.

There is no silver bullet for GAS.

I think in a lot of pursuits, you can always strive to get "better tools"but musical instruments aern't like that. There is no such thing as better, it's just something different. So, that puts paid to the "before I upgrade I'll get rid of something" theory. I can't get rid of my Moog, it's unique, I can't get rid of my Korg Triton, it's very different to my Moog and it's supremely versatile.
Now, if I had three Moogs and ten 90's synths then it gets a bit awckward, as I don't really "need them" You have to draw the line and not be tempted to get things just for the sake of it.
Grumble

This is my Eurorack "system"....
Should I build or buy? seriously, i just don't get it
cptnal
Grumble wrote:

This is my Eurorack "system"....
Should I build or buy? seriously, i just don't get it

Depends whether your power supply is up to having another module in there. Perhaps limit it to a passive mult just in case. hmmm.....
Grumble
Quote:
Depends whether your power supply is up to having another module in there. Perhaps limit it to a passive mult just in case.

It's a 30 watt power supply, capable of pos 12 volt 1.25A and neg 12 volt 1.25A Miley Cyrus
cptnal
Grumble wrote:
Quote:
Depends whether your power supply is up to having another module in there. Perhaps limit it to a passive mult just in case.

It's a 30 watt power supply, capable of pos 12 volt 1.25A and neg 12 volt 1.25A Miley Cyrus

Borderline then? hihi
acidbob
I just need the manhattan analog MA35 and then I wont buy anything more....
mousegarden
acidbob wrote:
I just need the manhattan analog MA35 and then I wont buy anything more....

I just need an ARP 2500 and then I won't buy anything more...

Dead Banana
J3RK
Psst! Hey!

Shhhhh...

I've got some of your dream modules at excellent prices.

Come on, you NEEEEEEEEEED these.

razz
lisa
Dream modules and white whales are almost always hyped because they’re rare, not because they’re good. So keep it. Miley Cyrus
Grumble
Then I’m set, almost all my modules are rare Mr. Green
d'oh! oh wait, they aren’t bought, they are designed and built by me, but still one of a kind applause
Blairio
lisa wrote:
Dream modules and white whales are almost always hyped because they’re rare, not because they’re good. So keep it. Miley Cyrus

My dream modules are Sources Of Uncertainty, they do what it says on the tin.

Setting aside the orthodoxy that true randomness can only be found at the sub-atomic level, the Doepfer A149-1 and A149-2 do a pretty neat job of mixing things up. Then there's the Richter Wogglebug, and even the humble sample & hold.
mousegarden
Blairio wrote:
lisa wrote:

My dream modules are Sources Of Uncertainty, they do what it says on the tin.

Setting aside the orthodoxy that true randomness can only be found at the sub-atomic level, the Doepfer A149-1 and A149-2 do a pretty neat job of mixing things up. Then there's the Richter Wogglebug, and even the humble sample & hold.

I tried the 149 and didn't get along with it, I bought a Wogglebug and now all is well with the world. I also have a Turing Macine, these are a great combo.
Back on topic, I filled up my case a few days ago, yet again. All the holes that were left from my previous attempt to downsize have been filled up.
So, here I am again, I know, for a fact, that looking for, researching, and buying modules is the focal point, music? WTF!
So, is it a new case? No.
I've got my eye on either an ARP2600, or, if I'm very lucky, a 2500.
I'm selling my Buchla, my Euro stuff gets more use now, and is easier to use, every time I switch on my Buchla it's like back to school time, I can't rember all that weird shit.
My Euro has again, reached critical mass, any smaller and it wouldn't be my case, and it wouldn't function, any bigger and it would be way to complex for me to even think about.
ayruos
I filled up my 9Ux84hp [with some modules swapped out currently sitting in my cupboard] a couple of months ago. From a 90% DIY set of modules, it eventually ended up at around 50-50. I was building it up kinda haphazardly, without a solid plan, and getting new modules depending on the needs at the moment and the amount I could spare.

Once the case was full, and noodling around a lot with it, I kind of realised there was one row that I wasn't using AT ALL and there were some things that needed a very specific use case scenario (it's a prototype hybrid video synth that I'm developing as my masters thesis - takes up 32hp and is only used during performances or development but otherwise sits idle).

So... this month I downsized. I moved all the audio modules that I always use to a Mantis case. And the video stuff + some utilities for it to a Doepfer LC1. It's much easier to carry around now, and has exactly the stuff I need.

Well, the Mantis ain't full though! But I know exactly what modules go in to fill it up... but I'm holding on from buying them. It helps that I'm broke, so I can't make a rash decision anyway and I have my eyes on the second hand market, and there's some modules I want to sell off once I swap one of the modules currently in the case - but otherwise, NO OTHER MODULES/GEAR TILL I RECORD STUFF THAT I ACTUALLY PUT OUT.

I still have the 9U. It's 3/4 empty, all the modules I had in my cupboard go in there. And if I really need to use them at some point, I can power that case up. But otherwise it's gonna sit in the corner of my room, closed.

I think GAS is easier to control when someone knows exactly what they're after - is there a requirement for something that will help achieve what you're after? Or do the current stuff that you own enough?
cptnal
My thinking...

Once you have all the basic functionality covered a new module really has to bring something special to the party. That could be better UI, smaller, more fun, whatever.

There's also the fact that the more modules you have, the more possible combinations there are when you add another. So you have a lot more experimenting to do than if you had two modules and added a third.

When you reach that point there's always external gear to get GASed about. hyper
hamildad
Not sure to add to this, or create a new thread, but are there any modules/bits of gear that you are keeping a war chest for?

i.e. a sum of money to spend when it is released that is being held safe?

I am keeping some money for the Behringer VP-330 clone and thats after that I AM DONE...

...maybe.
J3RK
lisa wrote:

But I soldered the components with the feathers of a baby griffin!
gonkulator
hamildad wrote:
Not sure to add to this, or create a new thread, but are there any modules/bits of gear that you are keeping a war chest for?

i.e. a sum of money to spend when it is released that is being held safe?

I am keeping some money for the Behringer VP-330 clone and thats after that I AM DONE...

...maybe.

I keep a Surprise Release Module Contingency Fund, oftentimes known better as That Which Goes to Mutable Instruments. Which implies that my system is always up for change, as I deem it necessary and/or desirable. It is possible (but not likely) that there will be a complete turnover over time. So be it.
Blairio
J3RK wrote:
lisa wrote:

But I soldered the components with the feathers of a baby griffin!

Baby Griffin feathers are so over. Otter whiskers are the way to go, but only naturally discarded ones.

JakoGreyshire
My GAS is like a repeating ADSR with periods of rests in between.. eek!
lisa
Two months now, going strong. Earned my chips. w00t
TRUE DEEP
I have not bought a module since june 2014 ... i'm still doing fine cool
Chopper
i recently had to go from 18u back to 12u (with a few more modules that i keep in a spare box if needed). financial troubles and a few more issues didn't leave me much time to wiggle. but after getting rid of a fair amount of modules using the ''stuff i didn't use in the past -(insert time lapse here)- method, things are actually more focused now and patching becomes more dynamic, for lack of a better word. although if i sell anything out of that specific main case, i gotta put something from my spare box there instead. the empty HP space is the biggest GAS generator of all...
Parnelli
Upon reflecting over the weekend I came to the realization that I am very happy with my rig since I have it all in one case now. There is a little room for more, and there are a couple of things to acquire yet, like another Planar 2, Tetrapad and hopefully expander, with a little room left for the next great new thing that comes out if I decide I cannot live without it.

For the better part of 2 years I had extreme GAS, it was almost obsessive, (ok, it was obsessive) but I built a pretty nice rig. My only regret would be to have done more research in the beginning instead of buying willy nilly, but hey, life is a lesson, right?

At any rate I have finally reached a level of great satisfaction in my rig as well as my ability; I have a long way to go, but I can relax now for the rest of the journey!
atmosplak
I just sort of snapped out of it in the same way that I snap out of other bad habits i.e. using tobacco, ordering take-out almost every night. Although I have an addictive personality, i'm very good at cessation.
Shledge
I figured that if I want any new modules, I need to sell any modules they're going to replace first. It's a good way to stop myself from expanding since putting the excess modules into a new case = the desire to fill it up.

I did just that last week. Sold a chunk of modules to make room - made enough room to put in a furthrrrr generator along with a few utilities I'm lacking eg. more mixers, LFOs and OR combiners.
mousegarden
Shledge wrote:
I figured that if I want any new modules, I need to sell any modules they're going to replace first. It's a good way to stop myself from expanding since putting the excess modules into a new case = the desire to fill it up.

I did just that last week. Sold a chunk of modules to make room - made enough room to put in a furthrrrr generator along with a few utilities I'm lacking eg. more mixers, LFOs and OR combiners.

This a process called "distillation" You gradually go through a process of concentrating exactly what it is you want into the available space, until it becomes the most powerful synth you can make, for you.
You can only go through this process after spending a lot of time experimenting, wasting money, buying selling/modules, it doesn't matter how much research you do, you have to actually buy and use modules first before you come to any decisions, it's the only way, and you have to be prepared for that.
Shledge
The initial layout was fine, but I figured some modules could be replaced with more space-saving versions. For example, my two doepfer A140 ADSRs could easily be replaced with the new A140-2, saving 8hp. Most mono mixers could be replaced with stereo mixers.

I have plenty of utilities, but I felt I lacked a little in mixers, LFOs and don't have a good means to combine gates. I took another look and realised I'm also lacking a little on voices. That's where the furthrrrr generator comes in.

It's almost like zoning in SimCity, but more complex. A careful consideration of modules to achieve a balanced system. Some weight heavily, like VCAs, but it doesn't mean others are not to be considered.
gringostar
I'm in the initial rush of modules for my 9Ux90hp system but I've been literally been researching and planning a system for about 3 years now, revising and making new systems with each "hot new model" and only made the jump after I had a design stay essentially static for 6 months. I've changed a few things around from my initial plans after I got my first modules since I was able to secure a couple of rarities (which actually made me realize I was lacking a few things in my planned build), but right now I'm very confident that my planned system is what I want and the modules I have already have so far confirmed it.

My plan is to have the system complete by April of next year and then only pick up a few more modules I could swap out on occasion to change things up but keep the overall layout and functionality the same. Those new modules wouldn't be permanent replacements though, just things that would change things up if I wanted to which should keep me from heading down the path of GAS and ever expanding systems.
artieTwelve
I'm having an interesting journey. I stopped buying modules and started buying kits. After a few kits I tried building from a bare PCB and sourcing my own parts. After that I wanted to go deeper and I've just finished putting an Ornament and Crime on a breadboard so I can understand how the hardware and firmware work together. With that, a cheap Chinese logic analyzer and the Sigrok open source code, I'm able to look at all kinds of timing signals, I2C, SPI and all the stuff coming off the Teensy 3.2 and going into the DAC. It's given me all kinds of ideas on what I'd like to try next. Who knows where this will end?

Two take aways:

1) The soldering station, the USB microscope, the components, the wires; all of it was cheaper than a couple of Make Noise modules
2) I wont be buy any new modules any time soon, but I might be selling some
ayruos
Aaaaand I'm done. No more buying/selling/chopping/changing. That has gone on for a while and now all the pieces of the puzzle are in to head into recording. No more modules.

[/img]
lisa
Good for you ayruos! Looks neat. Many Make Noise modules but I love the fact the you choose Befaco Rampage over Maths. love
mousegarden
Shledge wrote:
The initial layout was fine, but I figured some modules could be replaced with more space-saving versions. For example, my two doepfer A140 ADSRs could easily be replaced with the new A140-2, saving 8hp. Most mono mixers could be replaced with stereo mixers.

I have plenty of utilities, but I felt I lacked a little in mixers, LFOs and don't have a good means to combine gates. I took another look and realised I'm also lacking a little on voices. That's where the furthrrrr generator comes in.

It's almost like zoning in SimCity, but more complex. A careful consideration of modules to achieve a balanced system. Some weight heavily, like VCAs, but it doesn't mean others are not to be considered.

My gaadd! An A140-2! Thanks for turning me on to this!
But my system, although it's quite large, is lots of little instruments, so that effects my buying decisions at the end of the day.
mousegarden
ayruos wrote:
Aaaaand I'm done. No more buying/selling/chopping/changing. That has gone on for a while and now all the pieces of the puzzle are in to head into recording. No more modules.

[/img]

But no Maths.....

hihi hihi
Rex Coil 7
ayruos wrote:

[/img]
There's a company known as Make Noise ... they're well known around these parts for making very nicely designed and useful modules. You may wish to take a gander at them.

razz
mousegarden
I've decided it might be an idea to make an "overflow rack" that contains all the modules I've resisted over the years, modules that are popular and only IMO, a bit cliched, but that I've secretly wanted for ages...it probably won't hapoen, but it's tempting.

ayruos
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
ayruos wrote:

[/img]
There's a company known as Make Noise ... they're well known around these parts for making very nicely designed and useful modules. You may wish to take a gander at them.

razz

I don't understand what this means... seriously, i just don't get it
mousegarden
ayruos wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
ayruos wrote:

[/img]

razz

I don't understand what this means... seriously, i just don't get it

I think he may mean you're a bit of a Make Noise poster boy...

hihi hihi
ayruos
Ah. Well... I really like the stuff that they make, no doubt about that. hihi
mousegarden
ayruos wrote:
Ah. Well... I really like the stuff that they make, no doubt about that. hihi

You keep it well hidden...

hihi hihi
huffnPuff
I subscribe to the wholistic approach - I'd rather think of my modular as a whole, a system, rather than an amalgamation of modules. As such it should meet the goals I set to myself and follow an coherent aesthetic and logic "code".

Back to basics is one design objective I set to myself - a clear preference for open-ended modules that do one simple thing but can be used in many different ways. Relying purely on hardware (analog and solid state logic) is another objective I set to myself. Following such design objectives strictly, my aim is to create a whole that is greater than the sum of its parts.

I'd like to think I'm done.
Blairio
mousegarden wrote:
Shledge wrote:

My gaadd! An A140-2! Thanks for turning me on to this!
But my system, although it's quite large, is lots of little instruments, so that effects my buying decisions at the end of the day.

The 140-2 looks very cool, and manages to pack more in per adsr than the original. I would miss the original's inverted output though.

My system is made up of four 84hp instruments, with a another row of 84hp given over to a mixer and fx, and a final one given over to sequencers, sources of uncertainty, arpegiators, and scale quantisers. My 84hp's worth of MI 'instrument' breaks my pattern though, since Braids, Plaits and Rings are each practically voices in their own right.
joesdeals
I am done for now.

But plop 1 million dollars in my lap and I got a few ideas!!!!!! Rockin' Banana!
mousegarden
Blairio wrote:
My system is made up of four 84hp instruments

That's interesting, so is mine. I find it easier to cope with, and very rarely cross-patch between instruments.
Rigo
Blairio wrote:
The 140-2 looks very cool, and manages to pack more in per adsr than the original. I would miss the original's inverted output though.

No need to miss it ...
Doepfer website wrote:
Another jumper is used to set output 2 to normal or inverted envelope
BailyDread
i stopped after I filled up my 2 HEKs so I could learn those modules... but now that I know them pretty well, I have a big laundry list of "gaps" in functionality! It helps to keep a journal with patch ideas and stuff, and then you can review the weak points in each and supplement your modules accordingly. for example, when i started, i thought makenoise was the best thing going in eurorack. they're amazing and I love the MN modules I have, but now I know that east coast synthesis fits my style of production and recording better.

i'm trying not to sell anything though! a big part of the fun is collecting all these different tools Miley Cyrus
justchris86
I didn't realize this was an option....
lisa
justchris86 wrote:
I didn't realize this was an option....

Hehe, well. I can't see anything wrong with people buying more and more modules as long as they use them. I get a bit uneasy by all the stories of people with 48U that hasn't touched them for years. Such a shame. seriously, i just don't get it

Anywho, I'm happy with my system now. It's not too big and it's rather complete. thumbs up
mousegarden
I've decided not to go ahead with my overflow rack, I've got 15U of 84hp already.
It's all very well for people to joke about continually expanding, but Lisa has a point here, I think there does come a point when you just don't utilise "most" if you're system, when it gets to a certain size. Also, actually, you "have to stop somewhere" litteraly, otherwise what are you supposed to do? You could end up spending "all" of your capital on modular, then end up borrowing money to do it, for what reason? And, that's just plain bad, addictive behaviour.
ersatzplanet
I have combined both my need to reduce my system and my desire to not spend money on new gear by doing this pledge:

I pledge to not buy new gear unless the money comes from selling old gear or by trading old modules.

This has worked really well for me. I sold a ton of modules at very discounted prices (basically ~%50 off list) and bought a few more powerful ones to replace them. I still have money left over and am ready to sell a bunch more. My rig is not that much smaller in size, but has a much smaller module count (got bigger modules!).

I also changed into a more Wave file player-centric rig and so it is a bunch of players and a ton of filters and modifiers now. Only two VCOs and the only reason they are still there is because I made them ugly by drilling holes to make them fit the Doepfer spacing (they are AS RS-90 VCOs).
J3RK
ersatzplanet wrote:
I have combined both my need to reduce my system and my desire to not spend money on new gear by doing this pledge:

I pledge to not buy new gear unless the money comes from selling old gear or by trading old modules.

This has worked really well for me. I sold a ton of modules at very discounted prices (basically ~%50 off list) and bought a few more powerful ones to replace them. I still have money left over and am ready to sell a bunch more. My rig is not that much smaller in size, but has a much smaller module count (got bigger modules!).

I also changed into a more Wave file player-centric rig and so it is a bunch of players and a ton of filters and modifiers now. Only two VCOs and the only reason they are still there is because I made them ugly by drilling holes to make them fit the Doepfer spacing (they are AS RS-90 VCOs).

I have a similar rule, only mine is that I have to build my systems from scratch. Obviously not a money-saver, but having to lay out the boards, and build things from the ground up makes me think of ways to keep the system simple yet versatile. Right now my modular consists of a single 4U boat, and I'm pretty happy. I'm planning one more to fill in a few gaps, but that will probably do the trick. I'm also allowing 2-3 modules from other designers into the second boat. (could pass up Craig Lee's new "Bits" module for example)
electricanada
ayruos wrote:

[/img]

A Make Noise system with a Rampage instead of Maths? Sacrilege!
MarcelP
mousegarden wrote:

This a process called "distillation" You gradually go through a process of concentrating exactly what it is you want into the available space, until it becomes the most powerful synth you can make, for you.

I think I am brewing beer, great big barrels of beer stacked one upon the other...
mousegarden
MarcelP wrote:
mousegarden wrote:

I think I am brewing beer, great big barrels of beer stacked one upon the other...

That's a good way of putting it, modular to me is like cooking, modifying a recipe you've found in a book down to your own personal taste.
gbraakman
Grumpypanda69 wrote:
Easy. Cancelled my credit card after paying it off, diverted all excess income in to an account that attracts high withdrawal fees in the first 12 months & shut down all modular related eurorack.

Now I’m really able to focus on modules I actually need, and have to really scrimp to buy them.

The account will be accessed in 12+ months when my second Amalgamod will be hopefully ready.

Seems like a wise decision. Nearly every month I promise myself that this will my very last acquisition. I'm addicted. The most dangerous ideas come from automatic searches on selling and buying sites.
BananaPlug
Narrow your scope any way you can.
naturligfunktion
I was getting pretty hooked on eurorack roughly one year after I got the first module. Not so much that I bought stuff all the time, but I constantly thought about how to create the best case possible. Then I got a new job in Italy for six months and, after some tough consideration, I decided to leave my eurorack home in Sweden.

It was a kind of involuntary hold and it forced me to work with less. It was great! I bought a little keyboard and a small midi-thing with knobs and was jamming away in Ableton. Rediscovered my huge SAMPLE folder. Started to work with melodies and harmonies. But the best thing was that I did not, every night before bed, looked at Modulargrid and thinking that if I get that module maybe I will be able to do that etc.

Now Im back and it is supernice to reconnect with Jurgen (that's my synths name) but I see no reason to expand further. Modular is supernice, in many ways a centre part of my current production, but it is also a hassle sometimes. Especially considering that I can easily sit for two weeks just playing and having fun, but without it I start three different tracks that all sound promising.

That being said. It would be nice to sell my stupid Rings and change it to a filter, so I can create some nice acid-sounds, and then get a new drum machine, and a distortion pedal for that, and a new compressor, and...

It never stops does it?
lisa
naturligfunktion wrote:
It never stops does it?

Not if you’re a slave to your own desires, no.

I know that I can control how I feel if I’m motivated to do so. It sure helps not to think about eurorack as a drug and/or buying more modules as an inevitability though. MY ASS IS BLEEDING
boxxgrooved
Pelsea wrote:
The possibilities of even a simple rig approach infinity in the same way that a chessboard does. Sometimes you can transform an instrument simply by moving one module. The difference may seem subtle, but we are talking about music here.

+1 to this. When it comes to making music what more do you really need than a 104HP Skiff and a multitrack recorder? Big multitimbral modular synths make great live pieces but are not really necessary for making music. Like Mousegarden said you could probably spend your whole life just honing a small case to your requirements, and even that would be a distraction from getting on making more music. A violinist or pianist does not spend an equivalent amount of time modifying their instrument or looking at new options for it, the instrument is set and they can get on with the music. Their instrument is also mono-timbral.

I think there is a lot to be said for fixed systems or semi-modular synths that take away the option to modify it. Things like the Easel, Moog Grandmother, or the Le Shuttle by Endorphin seem more like instruments to me, and like you said, the possibilities approach infinity on even small systems like these.
Neo
I can go for days not buying any more eurorack modules cool
mousegarden
boxxgrooved wrote:
Pelsea wrote:
The possibilities of even a simple rig approach infinity in the same way that a chessboard does. Sometimes you can transform an instrument simply by moving one module. The difference may seem subtle, but we are talking about music here.

+1 to this. When it comes to making music what more do you really need than a 104HP Skiff and a multitrack recorder? Big multitimbral modular synths make great live pieces but are not really necessary for making music. Like Mousegarden said you could probably spend your whole life just honing a small case to your requirements, and even that would be a distraction from getting on making more music. A violinist or pianist does not spend an equivalent amount of time modifying their instrument or looking at new options for it, the instrument is set and they can get on with the music. Their instrument is also mono-timbral.

I think there is a lot to be said for fixed systems or semi-modular synths that take away the option to modify it. Things like the Easel, Moog Grandmother, or the Le Shuttle by Endorphin seem more like instruments to me, and like you said, the possibilities approach infinity on even small systems like these.

Well said Boxgrooved, everything.
I'm coming down to fixed systems, my Mini Moog is on top of my piano, and I'm playing my Easel as a seperate instrument more and more these days, and not tiring of it in any way at all. My modular is still here, but it's not getting used lately, I'm not selling it, it's taken me ages to hone and put together, but compared to the Moog and Easel it's an effort, far too many options, the return on my time is rarely worth the effort.
dubonaire
mousegarden wrote:
My modular is still here, but it's not getting used lately, I'm not selling it, it's taken me ages to hone and put together, but compared to the Moog and Easel it's an effort, far too many options, the return on my time is rarely worth the effort.

You are hilarious.
ayruos
electricanada wrote:
ayruos wrote:

[/img]

A Make Noise system with a Rampage instead of Maths? Sacrilege!

I am seriously considering swapping out the Rampage for a Maths now, there's some things I've been struggling to do with the Rampage and getting a Maths would also open up a bit more space as I can remove at least one if not both of my Pico Scales, but for what it's worth, I'll stick to this setup because 1. I'm broke and 2. it's been nice to have a consistent setup for a few months now, even with the struggles I still know what's the strengths and weaknesses are of this rack quite well now.
mousegarden
dubonaire wrote:
mousegarden wrote:
My modular is still here, but it's not getting used lately, I'm not selling it, it's taken me ages to hone and put together, but compared to the Moog and Easel it's an effort, far too many options, the return on my time is rarely worth the effort.

You are hilarious.

Why!!!!???? Seriously!!!!!????

hmmm..... Dead Banana d'oh! eek! seriously, i just don't get it
dubonaire
mousegarden wrote:
dubonaire wrote:
mousegarden wrote:

You are hilarious.

Because you consistently cycle between buying up Euro excitedly and expressing extreme dissatisfaction with Euro. You are the epitome of Muffwiggler.
deepblackjoe@gmail.com
I have yet to experience this loss of gas, maybe its important not to place unreasonable demands on inanimate objects
dubonaire
deepblackjoe@gmail.com wrote:
I have yet to experience this loss of gas, maybe its important not to place unreasonable demands on inanimate objects

You shouldn't place unreasonable demands on any object.
hamildad
dubonaire wrote:
deepblackjoe@gmail.com wrote:

You shouldn't place unreasonable demands on any object.

applause
Shledge
Couldn't get the correct fart sound - 0/10 pure trash
forestcaver
Try it through clouds
Pelsea
When you get down to it, there are only three kinds of module: sources, to create a tone, processors to modify the tone, and controllers, which transform the above from a science experiment into an instrument. Once you have say, a Werkstatt, you are ready to play music. Everything after that is refinement of the instrument. That second oscillator opens up a lot of possibilities, and adding another process transforms the sound, but these things quickly reach diminishing returns. VCO 15 will just add a drop to a pretty full bucket, even if it does feature the new whipplefrizzer. Thus we all will reach a point where we stop expanding the audio portion of our systems.

Controls can go two ways-- you can get a good interface and learn to play it well, or you can go the route that each piece is defined by its control system (as I often do) In that case, you constantly need new control modules. However, there's not that many controller variations out there, and anyway if the control system defines the piece, isn't buying someone else's control system just redoing someone else's piece? That moves new controls into the DIY category, or something programable.

So I'm in the middle of my buying trajectory with 8 bought in modules and maybe 4 planed in the future.
cptnal
Pelsea wrote:
...each piece is defined by its control system...

In lieu of your book arriving I'll just have to glean these nuggets of wisdom where I find them.

Couldn't you define a "control system" as a base- or sub-patch? In which case, if you have the building blocks, the only limit is the number of patch points and your imagination? The point being it needn't drive GAS. Unless you find yourself short of half a dozen sample and holds...

Over on another thread I found myself describing learning a new patch to be like learning a new module. Each is like a new instrument to learn and master, or at least interact with. If you think of it like that there's no need to acquire new modules to add novelty to your system.

On the other hand, if new modules make you happy, and no one loses from the transaction, BUY! BUY! BUY! and don't feel guilty about it. thumbs up
mousegarden
dubonaire wrote:
mousegarden wrote:
dubonaire wrote:
mousegarden wrote:

You are hilarious.

Because you consistently cycle between buying up Euro excitedly and expressing extreme dissatisfaction with Euro. You are the epitome of Muffwiggler.

Is there an epitome of Muffwiggler? We're quite a varied bunch.
I've met quite a lot of wigglers in the flesh, some just like talking about modular, and never make any music, or very little. They have huge system some of them, and love rearranging and buying/selling. But that's fine, I know model rail and car enthusiasts, some don't even take the models out of the boxes, or drive the cars, they just love them as objects, and want to keep them pristine.
The reason I cycle is that I really want to feel that my stuff is earning it's kept, and even though I've been involved in the scene for quite some time now, I'm still not sure. I'd say I have a love/hate relationship with modular.
Not so with my piano, or my other synths, Moog, Buchla, they are just here now, part of the furniture, it took awhile, but I don't think about those things anymore now, I know they are great and contribute essential things to my music, but it's a mistake to believe that this state of mind exists from day one of a purchase, it takes time.
dubonaire
mousegarden wrote:
I'd say I have a love/hate relationship with modular.

I'd say you have a love/hate relationship with everything.
mousegarden
dubonaire wrote:
mousegarden wrote:

You could be right, maybe I'm just not a naturally happy person. I'd say that I'm in a state of deprssion about everything most of the time, it just varies in it's intensity.
cptnal
mousegarden wrote:
dubonaire wrote:
mousegarden wrote:

You could be right, maybe I'm just not a naturally happy person. I'd say that I'm in a state of deprssion about everything most of the time, it just varies in it's intensity.

No one is "naturally" happy. Back in the savannah, being constantly worried that the movement in the long grass could be a lion is what stopped us getting eaten. All the happy guys that didn't worry weren't around for long. These days happiness takes hard work.
Pelsea
cptnal wrote:
Pelsea wrote:

Couldn't you define a "control system" as a base- or sub-patch? In which case, if you have the building blocks, the only limit is the number of patch points and your imagination? The point being it needn't drive GAS. Unless you find yourself short of half a dozen sample and holds...

On that machine in my avatar, the right cabinet is devoted to control modules of various types-- a couple of 4x16 sequencers, a bunch of smaller sequencers, switches, and enough logic to build a calculator. As I performed with it over several years, I realized it was basically the same composition with slight variations-- In fact, I gave the composition a name: "It's supposed to be automatic, but you have to press this button." The sounds I could make were as varied as an east coast machine could be, but the structure and melodic detail always came back to the limits of the control system. Listening to other composer's work, I could hear the same effect. Behrman's Melody Driven Electronics, Subotnick's ghost score pieces are defined by the control mechanism rather than the sound. The signal generators and processors are the band, and the control system is the score.

So I began exploring other means of control, both computer based (I was an early adopter of Max), and physical through a variety of devices I call "contraptions". Nowadays a set for me will consist of 3 8 minute pieces, one computer driven, one with wind instrument and computer accompaniment, and one with an off the wall controller like a gamer's joystick or a nerf ball with an accelerometer in it.

The point of this in relation to the OP is since I can program the equivalent of any sequencer, quantussy, etc., I already own a WX5, and I can build contraptions as I need them, I will soon stop buying modules.
mousegarden
cptnal wrote:
mousegarden wrote:
dubonaire wrote:
mousegarden wrote:

No one is "naturally" happy. Back in the savannah, being constantly worried that the movement in the long grass could be a lion is what stopped us getting eaten. All the happy guys that didn't worry weren't around for long. These days happiness takes hard work.

Those that are happy in this world, I don't know what they are on, but can I have some of it please.
Lux A Turner
gbraakman wrote:
Grumpypanda69 wrote:
Easy. Cancelled my credit card after paying it off...

Seems like a wise decision...

I was thinking of cancelling my credit card a while back, but was advised to keep it, because not having a credit card can have a negative effect on your overall credit rating.

Get a credit card. Get as many as you can, in fact, but then cut them all up. That way - if you ever need a loan for a 'serious' purchase - you'll have a good credit record and will be less likely to be declined.

At least, that's what an old friend who worked in a bank told me. It's a funny old World sometimes hmmm.....
mousegarden
Lux A Turner wrote:
gbraakman wrote:
Grumpypanda69 wrote:

I was thinking of cancelling my credit card a while back, but was advised to keep it, because not having a credit card can have a negative effect on your overall credit rating.

Get a credit card. Get as many as you can, in fact, but then cut them all up. That way - if you ever need a loan for a 'serious' purchase - you'll have a good credit record and will be less likely to be declined.

At least, that's what an old friend who worked in a bank told me. It's a funny old World sometimes hmmm.....

Having a good credit record means being able to borrow even more money, and that's what "they" want you to do. Cut up your cards, and break free from the conn. And stop paying "them" exorbitant amounts of interest.
Pelsea
Better yet-- get a card with no fees, use it gently, and pay off the balance each month. It's getting harder and harder to use cash these days, especially on-line. The card is a backup when an actual emergency (not a GAS attack) turns up.
Shledge
mousegarden wrote:
Lux A Turner wrote:
gbraakman wrote:
Grumpypanda69 wrote:

Having a good credit record means being able to borrow even more money, and that's what "they" want you to do. Cut up your cards, and break free from the conn. And stop paying "them" exorbitant amounts of interest.

I don't take a person who wastes 1000s on a whim particularly seriously when it comes to financial advice.
sduck
But wouldn't a person who can spend 1,000's on a whim be worthy of some kind of credibility? (note that I replaced waste with spend - no need to be overly judgemental). Certainly more so than someone who doesn't have 1000's to spend.
mousegarden
sduck wrote:
But wouldn't a person who can spend 1,000's on a whim be worthy of some kind of credibility? (note that I replaced waste with spend - no need to be overly judgemental). Certainly more so than someone who doesn't have 1000's to spend.

Credibility doesn't come into it, rich or poor, money doesn't discriminate when it comes to being an arsehole. That isn't aimed at anyone here, just an observation.
huffnPuff
I don't understand this preoccupation with how a stranger choses to spend his own money.
lisa
huffnPuff wrote:
I don't understand this preoccupation with how a stranger choses to spend his own money.

This is a forum. Some people have been around here for ages, a few of those people are also quite candid about certain aspects of their lifes. This will evoke responses. That’s ok. thumbs up
god1983
Ha.. just HA !
Dilibob
mousegarden wrote:
I've decided it might be an idea to make an "overflow rack" that contains all the modules I've resisted over the years, modules that are popular and only IMO, a bit cliched, but that I've secretly wanted for ages...it probably won't hapoen, but it's tempting.

i kind of did the same thing then simulate it in vcv before i buy. I find what i need in 5u vs eurorack is a lot different: in 5u i need a critical mass of modules but after that i get diminishing returns; in euro its a lot more complex in that certain modules are required cluster together which is specific to some general function that i am trying to do. In euro what i find is i need a minimal set of granular modules with helper modules, to really take the sound in my brain into the modular. Euro though its a lot harder for me to come up with a minimal required set.
Dcramer
mousegarden wrote:
Lux A Turner wrote:
gbraakman wrote:
Grumpypanda69 wrote:

Although having credit cards and paying them off in a timely fashion will help to build up a positive rating, having unused high limits on credit cards or credit lines can affect your ability to borrow.
When you apply for a loan in my country if you have a 10k credit card but you’ve only used $100 of it so far, the lender will calculate in the possibility that you’ll purchase $9,900 as soon as you leave his office.
If you happen to mention that you have a small rack at home an alarm goes off lol
Fnord
I stopped buying new modules maybe 6 years ago, there is easily over $30,000 worth of gear out there I'd like to own, but I started a business a few years ago, so any extra income goes towards this and not modules.
Pelsea
If you feel tempted to buy another module, spend an hour perusing the dubious trades thread.
mousegarden
lisa wrote:
huffnPuff wrote:

This is a forum. Some people have been around here for ages, a few of those people are also quite candid about certain aspects of their lifes. This will evoke responses. That’s ok. thumbs up

Candid?

Well, I've always been honest here, and it's got me into a lot of trouble sometimes, but I can't not be honest.
I don't say things that are intended to show off, make jealousy, or have any other malicious intent. But I think some people do think that of me sometimes.
All of our situations are different, but, as I think we all know, no amount of money, or equipment can buy you talent or succes, succes being different things for different people. I'd be a naive fool if I said I wasn't jealous sometimes, I am, we all are about certain things. I'm jealous about people who are musically succeful, that have careers in it, of course I'd like to have those things, but it's silly, and it doesn't stop me sleeping at night!
As for money and gear, the means to produce great music is free these days, apps for instance. So gear and money doesn't come into it, if you have talent you just get on with it with what's to hand. But if someone wants to buy lots of expensive hardware it's no business of mine, I have a few bits, it's fun, what do you want me to do with them? take them all to my local charity shop or leave them outside on my garden wall? No one should feel guilty or have to justify buying anything to anyone.
ersatzplanet
cptnal wrote:
Pelsea wrote:

In lieu of your book arriving I'll just have to glean these nuggets of wisdom where I find them.

As a maker of Controllers and Utility modules, for me there are two types of "control systems" out there.

One is a set of modules that can provide changing control voltages that are programmable or can be set to react to different inputs and give a set of different outputs. This is the standard domain of Algorithmic music. Systems are setup that basically run by themselves and evolve over time taking input in from whatever sources the programmer connect them to. Sometimes this merges into the "process over product" art domain where pieces are generated by traffic flow or migrating bird patterns or other obscure events.

Another "control system" is a set of performance modules designed to allow the user to play many parameters in a live situation. The most classic is the Keyboard of course, but isn synthesis this can be modules of many types - light controllers, proximity controllers (Theremin), joysticks, pressure controllers, pots and sliders, switches and many more. The controllers once learned (their sensitivities and ranges) can be applied to almost any CV system they are set in front of. To me it is like a guitarist using somebody else's pedal board and amp. It may take a second or two to learn the basics of the new pedal board, but the chops on the guitar are already there.

This is my "controller system" that I set in front os whatever cabinet I am using at the time. It was originally a demo platform for the products I make, but is very useful for playing of course too.

lisa
mousegarden wrote:
Candid?

Yeah, you know the word. wink And it's not a jab in any way, being open and honest is a beautiful thing.
mousegarden
lisa wrote:
mousegarden wrote:
Candid?

Yeah, you know the word. wink And it's not a jab in any way, being open and honest is a beautiful thing.

Yes, it is a beautiful thing, but the world revolves around lies, dishonesty.
You have to be a good liar if you want to get anywhere., and have I come across a few of those in my life..
dubonaire
mousegarden wrote:
lisa wrote:
mousegarden wrote:
Candid?

You have to be a good liar if you want to get anywhere., and have I come across a few of those in my life..

This is such a negative and inaccurate worldview. A lot of people succeed through lies but it's not sustainable or rewarding. It's actually a lot easier to succeed by being honest (not brutally honest), in my experience. Of course, it depends what you mean by success, but the most successful people I know have the highest integrity.
MindMachine
The opening question reminds me of an alcoholic going to a bar to ask the patrons thoughts on how to stop drinking.

You will get a lot of answers.
boxxgrooved
Pelsea wrote:
Once you have say, a Werkstatt, you are ready to play music. .

I vote this as the non-gas quote of the year.

Seriously though that is an interesting post about the fundamentals of source, tone modifier, and controller etc. If someone were to ask me to define an analogue synthesizer I would probably refer them to the Easel. You have a main oscillator, a modifying osicllator, a couple of controllers (keyboard/sequencer) and quite a few patchable extras thrown in that help to definine the flexible nature of an analogue synthesizer.
lisa
MindMachine wrote:
The opening question reminds me of an alcoholic going to a bar to ask the patrons thoughts on how to stop drinking.

I'm more like the AA counselor. wink
mousegarden
dubonaire wrote:
mousegarden wrote:
lisa wrote:
mousegarden wrote:
Candid?

This is such a negative and inaccurate worldview. A lot of people succeed through lies but it's not sustainable or rewarding. It's actually a lot easier to succeed by being honest (not brutally honest), in my experience. Of course, it depends what you mean by success, but the most successful people I know have the highest integrity.

I'd agree that it's a negative view, but, it's not an inaccurate one.
And yes, honesty and integrity can get you a long way, but lying and dishonesty can too, it depends entirely on our individual aims.
monads
Black Friday is approaching....lets purchase some modules!!! hihi hihi hihi
mousegarden
monads wrote:
Black Friday is approaching....lets purchase some modules!!! hihi hihi hihi

Yeah, lets buy stuff, like now! I could do with a bit of retail therapy. I sold some of my bulky studio stuff yesterday, so I can "justify" a purchase... hihi
lisa
Today is exactly three months after I stopped buying modules and today is also the day when I relapsed. Drunk Banana

Selling of my hyper cheap Takaab LFOs (that I got in my last purchase and never really enjoyed) to fit Xaoc Zadar and using my final 8hp for Klavis Twin Waves. Now my case is 100% full and I can go back to sobriety, I hope. MY ASS IS BLEEDING
JakoGreyshire
Drinking
mousegarden
lisa wrote:
Now my case is 100% full and I can go back to sobriety, I hope. MY ASS IS BLEEDING

Yes, I'm in the same place, no space at all.
But I've got enough to keep me going in terms of unlearnt modules.
I've got 15U, that's more than I can cope with, plus, if I buy another case now where's it all going to stop?
Chevron87
Haha I wish I could learn the technique for not buying any more synth modules
mousegarden
Chevron87 wrote:
Haha I wish I could learn the technique for not buying any more synth modules

It's easy, just take, your hand, out of your wallet.
Shledge
I get the missus to hide the cards. Problem solved.
cptnal
I can quote my card details from memory, so hiding it won't work. But it's OK because I feel absolutely no shame, guilt or regret buying myself things I enjoy. This is fun!
Dcramer
lisa wrote:
MindMachine wrote:

I'm more like the AA counselor. wink

A great analogy of course, but for us, 12 steps mean something different entirely! hihi
Shledge
cptnal wrote:
I can quote my card details from memory, so hiding it won't work. But it's OK because I feel absolutely no shame, guilt or regret buying myself things I enjoy. This is fun!

Neither do I, but sometimes you go overboard and you forget to put away money to save.

I never went as far as get myself into debt, so at least there's that.
lisa
My final modules arrived. oops

forestcaver
lisa wrote:

What modules are you buying in february? :-)
catchin
When I initially got into eurorack, I went nuts. The led to me creating too many sound messes, and not focusing on what I wanted out of synthesis in general. I sold entire 9U rack, gave it a few years on plugins and 2 manufactured synths, to get the fundamentals down. Just a few months ago I acquired a 6U rack, and started building from the bottom up, but this time keeping it basic.

I'm not gonna lie though it's so tempting to get ANOTHER ONE. JUST ONE MOAR!!!!!
ayruos
lisa wrote:

final modules for 2018? w00t Mr. Green
hw408
This new row is only going to be for DIY testing :(

ambientnoise
I only got 1 row of modules, that’s it for me lol
Rex Coil 7
dubonaire wrote:
mousegarden wrote:
lisa wrote:
mousegarden wrote:
Candid?

This is such a negative and inaccurate worldview.
It is not inaccurate. It is his opinion based on his life experiences. Perception = 100% of reality. How one perceives the world is their reality.

cookie?!?
dubonaire
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
dubonaire wrote:
mousegarden wrote:
lisa wrote:
mousegarden wrote:
Candid?

It is not inaccurate. It is his opinion based on his life experiences. Perception = 100% of reality. How one perceives the world is their reality.

cookie?!?

That's very true. But a better way to reflect that is to say, I think the world revolves around lies, rather than as a truth statement.

While there are many people that get somewhere through being a good liar, my experience is they almost invariably get to a position where they get found out. And to me if there is one thing that gets you a long way in life, it's being someone other people can trust.
mousegarden
dubonaire wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
dubonaire wrote:
mousegarden wrote:
lisa wrote:
mousegarden wrote:
Candid?

cookie?!?

That's very true. But a better way to reflect that is to say, I think the world revolves around lies, rather than as a truth statement.

While there are many people that get somewhere through being a good liar, my experience is they almost invariably get to a position where they get found out. And to me if there is one thing that gets you a long way in life, it's being someone other people can trust.

You can get a long way in politics, a very highly paid profession, by "being economical with the truth" I'd say maybe that was true of every British Prime Minister.
They never deliver on their policies, and in the case of Tony Blair, some say that he might have took deception to new heights.
I've always been in a bit of an awckward position, it's happened a few time on Muff's, if I tell the truth everyone thinks I'm lieing anyway, so I may as well say any old bollocks it really doesn't make any difference.
Joe.
For fuck sake mate.
mousegarden
Joe. wrote:
For fuck sake mate.

Hi Joe!
dubonaire
Joe. wrote:
For fuck sake mate.

What is your problem? There have been people posting nasty inflammatory comments about Jews and Nazism and you get your knickers in a knot about this??? Get a sense of perspective.
mousegarden
Oh dear, it's turned into "one of those days"...

(hides)
Joe.
mousegarden wrote:
Oh dear, it's turned into "one of those days"...

(hides)

Yes mouse, one of those days where you once again post some politics in a random thread, and then act all surprised when you're called out for it, for the hundredth time.

Stop posting Political shit. Go to Facebook or any other platform where it's allowed, It's not wanted here.

dubonaire wrote:
What is your problem? There have been people posting nasty inflammatory comments about Jews and Nazism and you get your knickers in a knot about this??? Get a sense of perspective.

The thread that's locked? the thread that resulted in a ban?

Any post about politics has the potential to turn into one of those threads, and dips like your friend Mousegarden systematically set them up as often as they feel like it because they're emboldened by recalcitrants like yourself.

'b-b-but somebody said nazi'. seriously? you can have a FFS as well. You're just as tiring.
sduck
Yup, sorry, but that's straight up politics. No more. Think before posting. Back on topic or this will be locked too.
TEKBRAIN
If I have the GAS for something, I'll go on my modular synth and try to recreate the functionalities of the module.

Most of the time, I can and that's enough to heal myself (handle a little bit)
from that particular GAS.
J3RK
sduck wrote:
Yup, sorry, but that's straight up politics. No more. Think before posting. Back on topic or this will be locked too.

These people should be out buying more modules or something. razz
Shledge
BACK IN MY DAY
fac
Right now I'm debating myself between buying a few more modules for my MU system (which still has 7 spaces left) or buying a Moog DFAM.

The modules I'm interested in are drum oriented: particularly the Corsynth DR-01 Bass Drum and the upcoming DR-02 Snare, as well as the C-105 VC Noise / LoFi. I'm starting to wiggle again after 2 or 3 years and would like to add some analog drums besides my humble Volca Beats.

The DFAM is cheaper, though, and could be also used with my eurorack system.
ayruos
Swapped out my Rampage, a couple of multiples and a couple of attenuverters for a Maths... which leaves me with 8hp free again!
Just another rookie
After reading this thread.....
I’m fucked.

Help me.
one year, one case (6u 84), full, or more like overfull.
several wants....some on order
Loads of ideas. Kits in boxes. Parts in packages.
Dead Banana
lisa
To me it was about finding a good size. I also had 6U, 84hp but felt I could go bigger. At 9u, 120hp I reached my limit. Any bigger and it would be hard to patch and overwhelming.
Just another rookie
Yes I thought my limit would be 6x84 as per the doepfer diy kit#1.

I didn’t think I’d have the means to fill it so fast!

From the start I’d considered 9u being the maximum.
Now I’m not so sure? I mean I can bend the rules here.....
9u by 168 is still 9u!

The expansion rail (to take me to 9u)
That will be full once I have the current wave of kits built.
There are more things that are of interest.

Can building for fun really be a serious hobby!
I didn’t think this would take hold in quite the way it has.
Mentally it consumes me.

It’s a lot of fun though!
Selection, delivery, the first plug in, little lights......
Building from complete kits that’s fun!
Sourcing for panel/pcb sets from several vendors.....
Still fun (including the mistakes) the learning curve!

Where and when will it end?

Hi, my name is jamie and I’m a eurocrack head.
applause

The 12steps! (Inverted out)
1. Research
2. Order (big rush!)
3. Open package (intense!)
4. Install device (big rush!)
5. Power up (blinky light syndrome, should be a recognised side effect of GAS)
6. Patch
7. Wiggle (big rush!)
8. Record
9. Observe and dissect recording.
10. Adjust patch
11. Record
12. Make decision based on step 11 which takes you back to step 1.
help
Muff McMuff
DIY case at least 104hp and 12u and then you have plenty of of room to expand. As it grows sell the modules you don't use or no longer appreciate which might hold back the tide on going even bigger.
Just another rookie
applause

You said sell.........
hmmm.....

Peter Grenader (your idea)
ambientnoise
Within eurorack, is it not true that “less is more” and that the more modules you have, the more you can do?
Pelsea
ambientnoise wrote:
Within eurorack, is it not true that “less is more” and that the more modules you have, the more you can do?

It's about the musical possibilities that last module gives you. The first few you buy open up a whole new world, because you are now doing... synthesis. For a while, new modules add important capabilities-- another voice, percussion modeling, a new layer of control. But eventually modules become redundant, providing only slight variations on what you can already do. At that point, some jump on the sell and buy carousel, others declare the instrument finished and concentrate on making music.
ambientnoise
Pelsea wrote:
ambientnoise wrote:

It's about the musical possibilities that last module gives you. The first few you buy open up a whole new world, because you are now doing... synthesis. For a while, new modules add important capabilities-- another voice, percussion modeling, a new layer of control. But eventually modules become redundant, providing only slight variations on what you can already do. At that point, some jump on the sell and buy carousel, others declare the instrument finished and concentrate on making music.

Ahh oh ok, I just filled my 1 row rack of 84hp of modules after 6 months, which gives me a sense of completion. The modules I have are multifunctional and can have a lot of possibilities, but I still have an itch to expand and buy a bigger case. Maybe I should just focus on what I have right now.
chachi
if you can’t stop buying modules, just stop buying cables.
jfloftin
More cables do help...
dubonaire
Pelsea wrote:
ambientnoise wrote:

I think you have hit the nail on the head there Pelsea.
boxxgrooved
I think a lot depends on the types of modules and the eco system you are into that will dictate the size of your rack.

For example you can fill up a whole row purely dedicated to sequencing with Doepfer. The A-155 is a beast of a module and combined with the sequence controller that's nearly the whole row gone. Compare that to just a Rene!
dubonaire
boxxgrooved wrote:
I think a lot depends on the types of modules and the eco system you are into that will dictate the size of your rack.

For example you can fill up a whole row purely dedicated to sequencing with Doepfer. The A-155 is a beast of a module and combined with the sequence controller that's nearly the whole row gone. Compare that to just a Rene!

That's not even close to the whole row gone in my case.
ayruos
There's been a couple of false positives before but I've been swapping a couple of things in and out and just placed an order for a couple of things which should be the final modules for my case. I'm pretty sure this time I'm done! I will post photos once they have arrived and my case is full again smile

The GAS is not entirely gone though, but I'm pretty sure module buys are done. Plans for 2019 include an outboard drum machine and maybe a couple of pedals.
lisa
So I'm one month sober (again). Guinness ftw!

Midiot
My "logical mind" says..... "you need to fully explore and learn the modules you already have".
My "wanting mind" says...."but I need what I don't yet have".

Wanting can be very powerful and easy, but learning can be hard.
Obviously, learning what you already have leads to better results in the end.

A Zen thing... self discipline and finding a place where you are always a student.

(AA does not believe the self can control will. Good luck on your 30 days. Keep it going.)
gonkulator
lisa wrote:
So I'm one month sober (again). Guinness ftw!

applause Rockin' Banana! w00t
lauprellim
I filled 267hp with 25 modules in the second half of 2018, as a rank beginner. Currently laden with 16hp in module overflow, which I plan on swapping in and out when the need arises. Not planning on adding anything in 2019, (it is actually 2019 as of 11 minutes ago where I live,) but rather on mastering what I have and hopefully making a few good recordings/videos.
dubonaire
I only bought one module this year. I did buy several synths though.
Muff McMuff
Bought nothing so far this year. Will it last?
MindMachine
dubonaire wrote:
I only bought one module this year. I did buy several synths though.

Mr. Green

I have a few in a cart at Perfect Circuit. Still 2018 here.
JohnLRice
Going forward, I have pretty much all the gear I need now to do any music I want. I've going to try to keep future purchases down to consumables like drum heads, sticks, cables, sound treatment, memory cards/drives, repairs, etc.

I need to use what I have to make music now. I also have a ton of house repairs and minor remodeling to do.

For a majority of my life I've been vowing to make albums and perform live "as soon as I get just one or two more critical items" but after almost a lifetime of hiding behind equipment short comings I need to step up and see what I can do with my skill and talent short comings, and make the most of it! This is fun! w00t screaming goo yo SlayerBadger!

This is the beginning of the end for me . . . if I'm lucky and don't croak too soon.
gonkulator
My neighbor gave me a subwoofer. w00t Happy New Year! w00t
Rex Coil 7
lisa wrote:
It's a classic cliche in the modular community that the acquisition of new modules is like a drug ("eurocrack" meh) and that you won't be able to control it. I figured that there must be loads of folks out there that contradict that cliche (or, perhaps I'm hoping for that to be the case since I just decided myself to be done with the purchases).
(the blue highlighting in Lisa's statement is of my doing). Admirable. I came to precisely the same conclusion last night, that Lisa should be done with the purchases! I'm kidding, of course. No no ... I came to that conclusion about my own behavior of late. I had just posted a thread in another subforum about how joyful I am regarding the acquisition of a Euro filter. After I hit ~submit~, stood from the computer desk, thought for a moment about what I had just admitted to .... it washed over me .... more of a feeling than a cogent thought ... "that is enough". Here I sit, roughly 18 hours later, evaluating what I just now typed, and I realize that it's evolved from a feeling to a commitment.

Enough.

notmiserlouagain wrote:
At one point I was feeling things like coupling to reward system, "needing", risky money calculations, waning interest after hasty consumption... waah

And no good recordings whatsoever.

Then I had to sell it all to cover my red numbers.
I knew all along as I traversed through a six month long buying spree that some of the new gear as well as a lot of the old gear was to be sold. I knew that I'd be selling some of the brand new purchases as I began piecing my revised rig together and put time on it. Some stuff would prove to be redundant or just plain wrong. Some stuff would prove to be nothing even close to my expectations. So I did my absolute best to "buy right" .. because I knew that I may end up selling this-or-that.

I'm fairly proud of how efficiently I spent my money, I was able to stretch $10k into nearly $14k "of value". I'm a fairly good negotiator, so I did my very best to make the most of every dollar.

However, I realize I now need to STOP ... STOP STOP STOP ... spending and begin earnest efforts towards converting old/unwanted/un-needed gear into black figures on my savings account's spreadsheet. I was very careful to not spend more than the lowest speculated value of gear I knew I was going to sell. But that filter purchase I mentioned above was the edge of the cliff.

I still need to spend a little more to complete a computer project I am neck deep in, but those numbers are baked into the speculations already.

But as far as impulse buys and "treats" .... that must be over with. It simply MUST.

The line has been drawn. Time to put on my man pants and leave the toy store. The shopping cart is full, the child's eyes are wide with anticipation of allllll of the fun stuff I'll be able to do with the full-up shopping cart of musical toys. The toy store's doors swish open, the glaring Sunlight is bright and illuminates the harsh truth that I need to build my damned studio, sell a bunch of gear, and begin using the bounty in the shopping cart so full that things are falling over the sides from the overfilled cart, and bouncing from the parking lot's surface.

The adult is suddenly aware that he is pushing the cart to the car. And the adult is suddenly aware that ... well ... it's time to stop the child's spree and begin with the adult responsibility of paying off the red numbers so the black pen may take the place of the red one.

It was fun. But best of all, it WILL BE EVEN MORE FUN! The next YEAR will be spent building the new studio, and creating the new sounds, and filling my heart with positive joy. Joy that is deeply needed.

Sometimes being a responsible adult is fraught with heavy weight. And as adults we sometimes tire of the burden. Now and then, we escape. And that is ok ... as long as we do not lose sight of the responsibility we have taken a sworn oath to take on.

Time to get to work.
franman69
I've got over 1100HP accumulated in just over 3 years. I'm pretty much over my GAS at this point. Sure, things come up on grid or fb that peak my interest, but unless they do something significantly "better" than what I already have, i typically get over it quickly. Example: I purchased a CS-L this year as I was having trouble getting consistently pleasurable results from DPO... Happy I did this as CS-L is just full of sweet spots... much more fun to wiggle and easier to make musical sounds (whatever that means)... I may sell the DPO, or hold it for now. I've also accumulated about 20 modules in a box that aren't currently in use. May sell some, may not.... but I really don't have the GAS problem I had 2 or 3 years ago for sure. Still enjoy my rig regularly, but honestly, not as much as in the beginning. I think that part is cyclical as I have recently done a few tracks in a short time frame. I'm sure this is all different for everybody. peace.
cptnal
franman69 wrote:
I've got over 1100HP accumulated in just over 3 years. I'm pretty much over my GAS at this point. Sure, things come up on grid or fb that peak my interest, but unless they do something significantly "better" than what I already have, i typically get over it quickly. Example: I purchased a CS-L this year as I was having trouble getting consistently pleasurable results from DPO... Happy I did this as CS-L is just full of sweet spots... much more fun to wiggle and easier to make musical sounds (whatever that means)... I may sell the DPO, or hold it for now. I've also accumulated about 20 modules in a box that aren't currently in use. May sell some, may not.... but I really don't have the GAS problem I had 2 or 3 years ago for sure. Still enjoy my rig regularly, but honestly, not as much as in the beginning. I think that part is cyclical as I have recently done a few tracks in a short time frame. I'm sure this is all different for everybody. peace.

I agree!

Once you have all the basic functions represented in your rack you can do anything. After that you may need more of something (LFOs, S&Hs...) or you may prefer something with a different interface, or which works in a different way, but it really has to bring something new to the party. When I get the GAS for something new my first thought is "how can I do that with what I have". When I thirst for a new oscillator for instance, I remind myself I have a Shapeshifter. Mr. Green

GAS for its own sake can be destructive, but I don't dig this austerity vibe that seems to be all the rage. Get what you need and don't feel guilty about it. This is fun!
Shledge
The urge to get a truly portable case has "inspired" me to do another expansion, this time replacing the Mantis case. Not as large as the previous one, an extra 3U at most.

Here is how it looks now:

And here is what I've planned - a bump up in oscillators/voices, more modulation sources and a much needed increase in mixers.
Rex Coil 7
cptnal wrote:
GAS for its own sake can be destructive, but I don't dig this austerity vibe that seems to be all the rage. Get what you need and don't feel guilty about it. This is fun!
I don't think it's austerity, it just realizing a difference between need and want.
hinterlands303
I'm finally at the point where the architecture of my system is pretty stable. For one, I really am out of space so I can't expand - I can only swap things in and out. Secondly - I have things pretty well balanced in terms of modulation, vcas, sound sources/shapers, utilities etc. so anything I add or subtract has to be carefully considered. I recently switched out a vca and envelope for a different vca and envelope that took up the same hp and I'm switching out a pair of analog oscillators for a different pair of oscillators which have a few features I'm missing (sub oscillator outputs, dedicated attenuators for PWM).

That said, event these minor tweaks point to a difficulty in the format - because I can tinker with it and switch things I end up doing it even if I don't need to, whereas with a fixed synth I would just try to use it to it's fullest and work around whatever minor things I didn't love about it. It can become a bit of a mindgame, and one that I'm usually losing.
Rex Coil 7
hinterlands303 wrote:
I'm finally at the point where the architecture of my system is pretty stable. For one, I really am out of space so I can't expand - I can only swap things in and out. Secondly - I have things pretty well balanced in terms of modulation, vcas, sound sources/shapers, utilities etc. so anything I add or subtract has to be carefully considered. I recently switched out a vca and envelope for a different vca and envelope that took up the same hp and I'm switching out a pair of analog oscillators for a different pair of oscillators which have a few features I'm missing (sub oscillator outputs, dedicated attenuators for PWM).

That said, event these minor tweaks point to a difficulty in the format - because I can tinker with it and switch things I end up doing it even if I don't need to, whereas with a fixed synth I would just try to use it to it's fullest and work around whatever minor things I didn't love about it. It can become a bit of a mindgame, and one that I'm usually losing.
Like you, I am utterly and completely out of space. I suppose I could wedge something else into the rigging, if I really put my mind to it.

But honestly speaking, do I really need anything else? As it is I am having trouble with feeling guilty about the actually fairly modest system that I already have. To me this whole notion must fit within not just "does it perform in every way I would ever need?" ... it is also about feeling good about owning it.

* I have a combination 5U/Euro modular rig.
* I have what most would consider to be a very modest MIDI/preset synth rig (two nearly 20 year old E-MU rack synths and one nearly 20 year old Nord Micro modular).
* I have a fairly modest (but all new) DIY computer loaded only with Ableton Live 9 Suite (so not even the latest version of Ableton).
* I have a 1962 Hammond C3 with a very personal/custom live-performance oriented Dual Leslie emulation system.
* There's a very modest bass guitar rig, made mostly of used power amps, used mixer, and a $300 bass.
* Lastly, I have a very personal/custom guitar rig (two guitars, one is a $199.00 Dean with some DIY going on, the other is a fully DIY Warmoth-parts Telecaster chopped all to hell to suit a permanent neck injury I call "the Shredbilly" ... with two DIY Marshall clone amps and a pair of 2x12 13-ply birch cabinets.
* Other than a sprinkle-to-taste collection of FX devices, that's the end of my entire system.

The whole works has been collected, traded/sold/bought, and built up since 1977.

Yet, to me, it feels excessive. I think (more like I'm hoping) that once about $4k of the unused gear gets sold I will feel less "selfish". I am also hoping that once all of these parts and pieces are finally put together into functioning musical gear I'll feel less like I pissed off a bunch of money on "nothing worthwhile". The modular and the computer system are currently just collections of parts in boxes rather than functioning devices. Those are the two projects in my signature.

I really don't like feeling this way. Not even a little bit. Maybe I'm just tired today, maybe I'm not liking that the holiday season feasting has left it's residue on my body and the numbers on the scale verify that.

Probably I need to stop spending time posting and put more time into building the system I spent money on parts for!

(unsubbing ... )

neutral sad meh. Kenny McCormick
lisa
Two months sober. w00t

zengomi
SlayerBadger!

moremagic
zengomi wrote:
SlayerBadger!

on the road to getting a sport mod i see Miley Cyrus

its really fun looking at pictures over a year old and seeing the modules in the same places they were on my lap 5 mins ago

not needing to look at the machine is nice icing
Muff McMuff
electricanada
Talk me down off the QPAS ledge my bros. Everyone who owns one will sound the same, right? I can already get stereo animation with my Deflector Shield. And yet I will make her mine one day.
moremagic
>10 mA/rail per HP? hour power supply will thank you for not getting one Miley Cyrus

honestly i was figuring out how to squeeze one in then i realized it wont self oscillate, which was most of the patches i was imagining lol
radin
Basically this is how my mind works:

Stop buying more modules. Go deeper and understand the modules I already have then i'll better understand what I want and what I need. Oh what is this new Make Noise module. QPAS? I've been wanting a filter. I have a decent credit at Detroit Modular. Oh a 10% discount code at DM? Preorder...it's not perfect but it's a life...
zengomi
Make of this thread a confessional

This week, thus far, I have purchased, to the best of my recollection, 4 modules.
UltraViolet
This whole modular thing is an evil sales strategy. Before synthesizers were fairly expensive systems so it wasn't as hard to convince yourself that you really didn't need another $2000 system (although deep down you knew that you really did). But, with modules each one is different, they are not nearly as expensive, they don't take up as much space, and besides its only ONE more. hihi
gonkulator
lisa wrote:
Two months sober. w00t

w00t w00t w00t
cptnal
I currently have a module that I didn't pay for. But it doesn't work.

Does that mean I'm going to Hell or not? seriously, i just don't get it
MarcelP
cptnal wrote:

The cleansing fires of purgatory should be OK - do a bit of time for avarice and pride (maybe a bit for lust - everyone has excess lust) and you are sorted. Confession is good for the soul - but one should change behaviour post confessional...

Bless you.
cptnal
MarcelP wrote:
cptnal wrote:

The cleansing fires of purgatory should be OK - do a bit of time for avarice and pride (maybe a bit for lust - everyone has excess lust) and you are sorted. Confession is good for the soul - but one should change behaviour post confessional...

Bless you.

Thank you, father, but the rightful owner has been back in touch so my immortal soul is safe (for now Flamey)
gringostar
I got into modular with a single goal of what I wanted the instrument I was building to accomplish and now I'm 4 modules away from finishing it, completely happy with how things have shaped up so far and confident that the last 3 are exactly what I'm after. I think the big thing for modular is to set out with a goal in mind and not to stray from it or else building/reinventing/upgrading/expanding becomes the obsession instead of creating music, which was something I struggled with in the past with VST's, hardware synths, and my pedal board. I will say that along the way I probably revised my planned system over a dozen times after spending time with the modules I had at the time but the overall goal never changed, just the way I would get there.

Also there was one modules I got that I will end up selling, but that's a much better track record with pedals on my pedal board which I started with no solid goal in mind and probably went through 50 pedals over the course of 5 years before finally understanding what I wanted from that part of my setup.
Keltie
The road to hell is paved with good intentions, and no good deed goes unpunished.

I was a good boy last year and paid into my tax account as I went along, even if it did, very occasionally, mean no modules that month. No end of year panic for me, thank you very much.

Turns out I overpaid. Turns out the tax man owes me money. Turns out I have 5 modules coming, Friday

Dammit! Never maintain cash savings again very frustrating
Rex Coil 7
Keltie wrote:
The road to hell is paved with good intentions, and no good deed goes unpunished.

I was a good boy last year and paid into my tax account as I went along, even if it did, very occasionally, mean no modules that month. No end of year panic for me, thank you very much.

Turns out I overpaid. Turns out the tax man owes me money. Turns out I have 5 modules coming, Friday

Dammit! Never maintain cash savings again very frustrating
You are weak. The MSN Smack!
naturligfunktion
I havent bought a new module in over a year. My case is completely full and I decided to go with it (and I did not have any money, and I had no idea what I would need instead of what I have). However, last month I bought another case (make noise skiff) so now Im starting to pounder once again how to expand.

I kinda like my case as it is right now though. It is a nice, versitale synth. Dont like the rings, that thing is gonna go for sure, and I will probably take out the big lfo-thing for a function generator ala maths. And at some point, I would really like to have a Morphagene and a dual VCO. And a precission adder. And a switched multiple. But there is no rush. Every now and then I start to patch in a way that’s different and I find out something new in my system (excep with the rings, that hardtotuneshitmodule). That kinda make me feel ”do I really need a new module?”

(Obviously I do, but first I need money)

My rack, for those interested:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/504428

How I want it to be:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/408932
bwhittington
A few weeks ago, I decided it was time to pare down my 5U wall to only what I really needed. It's going really well, except someone offered me an empty Eurorack case in trade. Now my 5U system is 5% smaller, and I have a full Eurorack case (and a few spare modules) next to it.
w00t
levelhead3
bwhittington wrote:
A few weeks ago, I decided it was time to pare down my 5U wall to only what I really needed. It's going really well, except someone offered me an empty Eurorack case in trade. Now my 5U system is 5% smaller, and I have a full Eurorack case (and a few spare modules) next to it.
w00t

Fair is fair, I had to buy an extra case to help take some of those 5u modules off your hands. Never maintain cash savings again
lisa
I think I succeeded, by the way. I stopped buying modules and I'm still making plenty of music with my rack. I'm recording about two patches every week and I'm only recording if I feel that the patch can be fleshed out to a full track for release. Smooth sailing. Boat
tIB
Celebrating 5 years of the same config in my bug!
BDProject
I've had the same setup for about 6 months now. I think there's a point where I realized that I had more than enough to create the music I wanted to create, and that I didn't really need that shiny new module.

It also helps that I do not allow myself to get any module if I can't rack it (and I'm not getting another case anytime soon at this point).
lauprellim
I feel like I am in the “S” stage of a sort of ADSR curve. I own three rows of 89hp plus a few extra modules I switch in and out. The thing is, I have assembled this menagerie quickly, and it is taking a little time to figure out how it all works. The backbone, I suppose, are the two MiniBrutes that provide some of the basics, which I relied upon because I knew nothing about Euro at the start of the journey. Now that I’m further along, I’m thinking of ditching the MBs one of these days but keeping the racks, as they give me a lot of pleasure. I will add two more 89hp rows and then I will probably call it quits, or go into R mode...

I have been making recordings and videos every week or so, getting better each time. Hope to be posting my first one here soon.
Stüssy
Is there a coin for such behavior?
Guinness ftw! help
(Sorry, had to say it.)
lisa
Stüssy: something like this?

lisa wrote:
Two months sober. w00t

Miley Cyrus
Stüssy
lisa wrote:
Stüssy: something like this?

lisa wrote:
Two months sober. w00t

Miley Cyrus

Well Then, there is such a thing!?!
Who knew?
seriously, i just don't get it
bwhittington
levelhead3 wrote:
bwhittington wrote:
w00t

Fair is fair, I had to buy an extra case to help take some of those 5u modules off your hands. Never maintain cash savings again

Indeed you did! lol Worry not, my second Euro case is on its way to handle my overflow. But my posts here are starting to remind me of the time in my youth when I showed up intoxicated to what I didn't realize was an AA party. Sorry to crash, ye merry modular teetotalers!
Abyssinianloop
Module acquisitions for me were about exploring new aspects of synthesis yet unfulfilled by my system. At some point (maybe a year ago now) I felt that I had an extremely capable system, so I stopped buying. I could see that if I had continued, I might suffer the pitfall of replacing existing modules with new or slightly different variations, of which there will be endless new options. I realized what I needed to do was explore the inexhaustible possibilities of my collection. I'll admit that I slowed my playing a bit to help sober up from the gas. But at this point I can enjoy my instrument without the impulsive cravings for more modules.
ckwjr
Abyssinianloop wrote:
I realized what I needed to do was explore the inexhaustible possibilities of my collection.

Words of wisdom. Do something/make a sound I've never done before every day with the equipment I have. 90 days, 90 new sounds. Something like that as a substitute for buying modules. You've inspired me.
lisa
Got this a while back.
WisdomWriter
It’s intersting. I know the “rush” of getting a new module is equal to any other form of reward. But I still love looking for the elusive modules that I want o play with. Once I have them though all I want to do is explore with them. I have a clear idea of the kinds of things I want to make so I find once I have what’s needed I don’t have that burning need anymore. But I also enjoy the community on reverb if those I sell or buy from. But I can scale back innourchasing pretty easy. I’ll find it harder to keep off reverb when I have limited time to play in the studio.
Shledge
Decided to not go with my previous plan of changing my case to 9u 114hp and stick to only selling modules and buying replacements, with the intention of adding more balance. Figured that increasing the footprint of my modular would just be dimishing returns at this point.

For example, I sold a disting mk3 and two of my doepfer filters and replaced them with a befaco Stmix, doepfer wasp filter and a WMD geiger counter. The other disting will be replaced with a mk4 once it's sold. How this added balance was as follows:

- I didn't use either doepfer filters much, and as a result are a bit redundant as Ripples/atlantis filter covers a lot of the same sound.
- Needed something to compliment my polivoks filter.
- Have been lacking proper stereo mixdown options. Previously all stereo sources went into a doepfer A-138u mixer, but I couldn't control the levels of said stereo sources as a result. Also, I only could mix up to 3 stereo sources. Stmix means I can now mix up to 5, 4 of them with their own levels. As a result, I now have an extensive means to mix a lot of voices at once.
- Lacking CV mixing options, so having something like Stmix means that my A-138u is freed up to do just that.
- I don't have many options for distortion, so that's where the geiger counter comes in.
naos
Here's my current (noob) solution : never buy a power supply. I'm looking at passive modules only and it really - really - limits the choices and temptations.
ayruos
naos wrote:
Here's my current (noob) solution : never buy a power supply. I'm looking at passive modules only and it really - really - limits the choices and temptations.

Not if you can DIY: you can spend hours on the pursuit of DIY passive modules (trust me, been there done that!).

Let's see,
1. Passive mult
2. Passive attenuator
3. Passive mixer
4. Passive mutes (with various combinations of the above)
5. Passive route/switch
6. Passive route/switch as a matrix
7. Passive LPG
8. Passive diode OR gate
9. Passive diode ring mod
10. Passive diode distortion/clipper/rectifier
11. Passive signal tester (resistor -> bipolar LED)
12. Passive notch filter / twin T filter
13. Passive RC filter

... I'll try to think of more Dead Banana
naos
ayruos wrote:
naos wrote:

Not if you can DIY: you can spend hours on the pursuit of DIY passive modules (trust me, been there done that!).

Let's see,
1. Passive mult
2. Passive attenuator
3. Passive mixer
4. Passive mutes (with various combinations of the above)
5. Passive route/switch
6. Passive route/switch as a matrix
7. Passive LPG
8. Passive diode OR gate
9. Passive diode ring mod
10. Passive diode distortion/clipper/rectifier
11. Passive signal tester (resistor -> bipolar LED)
12. Passive notch filter / twin T filter
13. Passive RC filter

... I'll try to think of more Dead Banana

How about a big basic In/out Patchbay, to connect every single gear cv in the studio? I'm starting there. I still don't get why such a module doesn't exist ready-made.
ayruos
You mean the Make Noise Format Jumbler? Something that they stopped making years ago but I think it was one of their first modules?

https://www.schneidersladen.de/en/make-noise-format-jumbler.html

There's also this as passive modular to line level patchbay, too expensive in my opinion.

https://www.ericasynths.lv/shop/eurorack-modules/by-series/drum-series  /link/
naos
No I'm thinking of something all in 3.5mm. Let's say 16 in / 16 out, on 4 rows of 8 cv points. I settled for the synthrotek 12HP panel because it's close to these numbers and looks nice.
ayruos
I... don't get it. 16 in / 16 out in 3.5mm as a passive module (?). What does it do that I won't be able to do without patching in those 16 to and from modules directly?
naos
ayruos wrote:
I... don't get it. 16 in / 16 out in 3.5mm as a passive module (?). What does it do that I won't be able to do without patching in those 16 to and from modules directly?

it prevents you from breaking your back reaching for the hidden jacks at the back of a minibrute or a moogerfooger, or any stuff that is too far away. oops
not only (much needed) comfort, but also a different visual setting (everything in front of you) that can give quick new ideas, I think.
ayruos
Just patch them into a mult seriously, i just don't get it
cptnal
Just broke 2019's cherry with a couple of Ladik goodies:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/ladik-j-110-derivator

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/ladik-s-180-8-step-sequencer

hyper
Keltie
cptnal wrote:

hyper

That 180 is the devils work I tells ya....

Currently "rocking" (lol) 2 x S180, 3 x S183, 1 x S181, 1x S184.

S18x is like some kind of weird fractal subset of the eurocrack rabbit hole. Moar modjewls captain!

*cough*

I haven't bought anything new in a month, possibly because my head is still expoding from integrating the latest splurge ( did a significant upgrade last month) including the unfathomable awesomeness that is E370.
electricanada
cptnal wrote:

hyper

I just bought the J100 too (already had the s180).
electricanada
Keltie wrote:

S18x is like some kind of weird fractal subset of the eurocrack rabbit hole. Moar modjewls captain!

I have one and like it, but by the time you collect the whole set you're almost in A155/154 money (at Schneidersladen prices).
radin
I just bought a Make Noise System Cartesian to get the black modules (Maths, LXD, STO, Moddemix and Telharmonic).

I'm merely replacing modules I already own with the black version so this doesn't count as buying modules. Is that correct?
cptnal
radin wrote:
I just bought a Make Noise System Cartesian to get the black modules (Maths, LXD, STO, Moddemix and Telharmonic).

I'm merely replacing modules I already own with the black version so this doesn't count as buying modules. Is that correct?

Absolutely. whistlin'
lisa
Most people use this thread as some kind of confessional. I find that hilarious. hihi
cptnal
lisa wrote:
Most people use this thread as some kind of confessional. I find that hilarious. hihi

Maybe in some cases. Personally, I was sticking two fingers up to the idea we should feel guilty about buying ourselves nice things. screaming goo yo
Blairio
lisa wrote:

Well, the modular synthesis world has its High priests and priestesses, its acolytes, its icons, its relics and its rituals... so why not a confessional. .
Blairio
I have a slightly different take on not buying any more modules. Every so often my modular rig goes on sabbatical - into a cupboard. It's not that I don't really like it (I do), but I need a break from it every so often, so I can pursue different musical projects. Once my rig has been out of sight for say 6 weeks, it all seems new to me when I power it back up, and there is no lust to buy anything more.

The sabbatical period took a bit of fine tuning. 6 weeks is long enough to really miss it. It is a bit like me and my partner taking a break - just long enough to realise why we got together in the first place.
boxxgrooved
Modulars are a luxury if you want to make music, albeit a nice luxury. I don't understand the guilt if you can afford it
Keltie
electricanada wrote:
Keltie wrote:

I have one and like it, but by the time you collect the whole set you're almost in A155/154 money (at Schneidersladen prices).

Yeah, that’s a good point, but overall it’s a bit less hp, you can spread the cost, and while there are pros and cons each way, s180 has the playback modes off the bat, whereas you need the doepfer a154 for that.

I’d have been happy with either, but I do love me some Ladik, and having so much flexibility, especially with two 180s, is very nice....

I guess one advantage of the doepfer is it’s just one module, so in regards to the thread topic, you might console yourself that you’ve bought one module not 2/3/4... hihi
Fog Door
Quote:
Modulars are a luxury if you want to make music, albeit a nice luxury. I don't understand the guilt if you can afford it

I suppose decency ought to raise a slight pang of guilt when modules are purchased in lieu of feeding the children but otherwise I agree smile
radin
To be totally honest I forgot I bought an Elektron Model Samples last week so I guess I'm starting at ground zero again.

I'll need an Intellijel uMidi to interface with the Elektron so I feel I get a pass on that as its merely an extension of a required element for a previous purchase.

This is less of a confessional than a cry for help. help
lisa
boxxgrooved wrote:
I don't understand the guilt if you can afford it

I'd feel really guilty if I wasn't making music with my rack. I don't want to be a collector. Nothing wrong with being a collector but it isn't for me.

I think that's where the guilt is coming from for many of those who feel bad about gear acquisitions. They say that they are into music but they know that they are really mostly into buying stuff.
Fog Door
Noob here so noob question - Are there really people out there spending thousands of $/£/€ on modules but not making any music????

hmmm.....
cptnal
I think the rationale is that new acquisitions take time to learn, and that is time spent not "making music".

Pursuing finished tracks isn't everyone's final aim though. If you enjoy learning then new acquisitions can be an end in themselves.
Fog Door
Quote:
I think the rationale is that new acquisitions take time to learn, and that is time spent not "making music".

I understand, that makes sense.
lisa
Fog Door wrote:
Noob here so noob question - Are there really people out there spending thousands of $/£/€ on modules but not making any music????

No doubt. Now and then you’ll see testimonials like ”Bought these 18 modules over the last few months. My rack is coming together nicely! Now I just wish I had some time to use it.”
fac
Fog Door wrote:

hmmm.....

Absolutely! Just as there are people buying sports cars but not don't participate in car races.
gonkulator
Since I have no more space, I either commit to keeping spare modules around to swap in as needed, or sell those that are less useful than something I want to purchase. At this point I am operating on several tracks: Keeping my eye out on replacing existing modules with better ones, whether higher quality, better features, etc. (Currently I am on an unsuccessful search for a VCA that includes offset per channel.) I use filters way less often than I used to, so I look at them thinking, is any one not special enough to keep (in case I need the space.) Much of the past five years has been spent discovering how I like to operate, say, for example, with sequencers. So, if I need another sequencer, I will add a different one from what I have, with the idea that either their functions seem useful and complementary, or that I would rather have two of the same, for the advantage of only having to remember how to operate one. Another example is with VCAs: I have recently appreciated the variable response curve of the Quad VCA (Intellijel) and wonder if I should replace any current ones with more of them. A Lot of this stuff is ongoing, meaning undecided.
Pelsea
Well, I thought I was done when my Mantis case filled up, but somehow it grew an annex over the holidays:

I struggled with the idea of 3U vs 6U (which would have required taking out an otherwise very useful shelf) and compromised on a row of tiles. Now that box is evolving into a new lifeform to be driven by the WX5 and vocal input. This leaves the Mantis as an extension of the laptop and my contraptions, a sensible division of labor.

I also realized I was being a bit fuddy in my choice of modules. I still believe modules should be as simple as possible (but no simpler, of course) but there was now room for some wacko in my rack. The Erbe-verb was a no brainer, since I've known Tom for years and always admired his work. I didn't even look for competition. (And it didn't turn out to be all that wacko- it just gives me voltage control over some things that are 4 menus deep in my Lexicon 3000.)

The 4ms multiband resonator was, I admit, something of an impulse buy-- someone posted a video that featured a resonant sound I knew I couldn't get with my modules, so I studied the video to see where the sounds were coming from. It turned out to be this, which is reminiscent of my favorite module of all time, the Buchla 296. It is wacko, in the sense that it has a less than obvious architecture and has some compositional biases built in, but the fundamentals are reachable, and it will eventually be assimilated.

So not all purchases are GAS. The greatest advantage of a truly modular system over a fixed architecture is the instrument can evolve with my musical needs. Two years ago, I really did perform with a Werkstadt. But now I'm looking for more sophistication and a wider range of sounds. The Werkstadt oscillator and filter are nice, but the other stuff is wasted panel space. I'm probably not going to buy anything in the next quarter, but that annex has too many ring modulators and needs a couple of function generators. The mantis has a blank panel, a serious temptation. (But not as tempting as a hole, which is why I make blanks.)

(P.S. I am making music with this thing, have been all along. But it's mostly variations on a piece called "Test This Code".)
electricanada
gonkulator wrote:
(Currently I am on an unsuccessful search for a VCA that includes offset per channel.)

Mutable Blinds, maybe?
Fog Door
Quote:
Absolutely! Just as there are people buying sports cars but not don't participate in car races.

I think a more accurate analogy would be people buying sports cars who don't actually drive. Not that I or anybody else would have any right to criticise the lifestyle choices of such individuals smile
gonkulator
electricanada wrote:
gonkulator wrote:
(Currently I am on an unsuccessful search for a VCA that includes offset per channel.)

Mutable Blinds, maybe?

I have a couple of Blinds, and I find them useful, but you can use each channel either as an attenuverter plus offset (meaning it hovers around a fixed point,) or a VCA/ring mod. I'm not complaining; I just find that I often add an offset, so it would be nice to have it on the VCA.
Shledge
Befaco a*b+c does what you're looking for.
vidret
Like others have mentioned I think a good practice is to stay within the case.

I want to put more modules into my 6U, but there's no room left now, which forces me to replace modules that aren't working that hard for me.

The end result is a far tighter system, dense with modules that appeal to me and work exactly as how I want them.

The cost is playing tetris and one move might cost 2 weeks and 300$ and then it won't pan out anyways hmmm.....
gonkulator
Shledge wrote:
Befaco a*b+c does what you're looking for.

Cool, thanks for that.
electricanada
gonkulator wrote:
electricanada wrote:
gonkulator wrote:

Mutable Blinds, maybe?

I have a couple of Blinds, and I find them useful, but you can use each channel either as an attenuverter plus offset (meaning it hovers around a fixed point,) or a VCA/ring mod. I'm not complaining; I just find that I often add an offset, so it would be nice to have it on the VCA.

I've never played Blinds, but I assumed you could use one channel as a VCA and another as an offset. Does that not work?
lisa
4 months sober now. Got this snazzy t-shirt. More wearable than the chips. w00t

gonkulator
electricanada wrote:
gonkulator wrote:
electricanada wrote:
gonkulator wrote:

Mutable Blinds, maybe?

I've never played Blinds, but I assumed you could use one channel as a VCA and another as an offset. Does that not work?

Yes, but that gives me only two channels for that functionality. I would prefer four. Currently I use Blinds along with Bubblesound LvL+RM, which works fine
Pelsea
One year ago, I received a generous tax refund. I was inspired by some ex-students to use it to build a Euro system. I named it (all of my modulars get names-- system PQE, PQE^2, Zombietron) system PQE 2500 in honor of that initial investment. Around august, I had to revise the name to PQE 3500. Today, I did the books as part of choosing where to go from here--

Surprise! I have already bought my last module. (Although I have materials to build some.)
electricanada
Pelsea wrote:
One year ago, I received a generous tax refund. I was inspired by some ex-students to use it to build a Euro system. I named it (all of my modulars get names-- system PQE, PQE^2, Zombietron) system PQE 2500 in honor of that initial investment. Around august, I had to revise the name to PQE 3500. Today, I did the books as part of choosing where to go from here--

Surprise! I have already bought my last module. (Although I have materials to build some.)

Using that rubric, mine would be named "PQE New Car Money".
okiikahuna
Seems to be an issue common to most musicians who use electronic gear.A guitarist friend of mine who I used to do cover band gigs with as a keyboard-guitar duo, used to joke about this. Every time he bought a new guitar pedal or piece of recording gear, he'd say, that's it, now I've got everything I need. Won't be buying any more stuff. Of course we both knew this was complete BS and a joke without even thinking abut it.

I guess this is why module manufacturers employ people to stand outside schools passing out modules and saying" Go ahead kid, try it. The first one's free! (followed by evil, maniacal laughter.)
Blairio
okiikahuna wrote:
Seems to be an issue common to most musicians who use electronic gear.A guitarist friend of mine who I used to do cover band gigs with as a keyboard-guitar duo, used to joke about this. Every time he bought a new guitar pedal or piece of recording gear, he'd say, that's it, now I've got everything I need. Won't be buying any more stuff. Of course we both knew this was complete BS and a joke without even thinking abut it.

I guess this is why module manufacturers employ people to stand outside schools passing out modules and saying" Go ahead kid, try it. The first one's free! (followed by evil, maniacal laughter.)

For me its the tyranny of the empty slot in a euro rack case. If I have a "gap in the rack" the urge to fill it with a new purchase is almost pavlovian. The self justification comes later. Perhaps if there were much more interesting blank panels, folk like me wouldn't be so quick to use any spare space in their rack as an excuse to gouge their wallet.
lisa
Blairio: And that’s why the ”get a big case from the start” advice is such poison for some beginners.
thetwlo
lisa wrote:
4 months sober now. Got this snazzy t-shirt. More wearable than the chips. w00t

thumbs up
ayruos
Days since sober: 1 very frustrating

In all seriousness, I believe this completes my 6U and I hope I'm not buying any more. I'm broke again, that helps. Also moving back to India in June, that should massively help as well!
ThomasTheWankEngine
Blairio wrote:
okiikahuna wrote:

For me its the tyranny of the empty slot in a euro rack case. If I have a "gap in the rack" the urge to fill it with a new purchase is almost pavlovian. The self justification comes later. Perhaps if there were much more interesting blank panels, folk like me wouldn't be so quick to use any spare space in their rack as an excuse to gouge their wallet.

I my instance I bought multiple small cases. It's mentally easier for me to take one and put it up on the shelf, out of sight, than it is to deal with a single large case with correspondingly large gaps.

I also make use of blanking panels to add a little more space around denser modules and reduce visual noise. Fifty dollars in blanks goes a long way.
Fog Door
As musicians we are always developing and evolving both in technique and in our creative ideas. I don't think its possible to draw a line under your set up and deem it definitively complete. There will always be new gear that could open new possibilities, how do you turn your back on that? I'm new to modular for just that reason, to explore a new creative space and to have new choices to make. I've only got a few modules and I'm a long way off a full rack but I already know I'll probably never stop buying modules, in the same way that just because I'm getting into modular doesn't mean I'll never buy another standalone synth or guitar or whatever. I can't rule anything out because my musical vision a few years from now may well have shifted from where it is at the moment. When I can see potential benefits to my creative output I don't think GAS of any flavour is a bad thing.
Eurocat
I’ve sold half of my Eurorack stuff and couldn’t be happier. I have t seen something that’s caught my eye or I’ve actually (needed) in months. I feel as though I actually get music done now as well.
lisa
Fog Door: so you’re saying that you don’t already have a creatively unlimited array of possibilities using the gear that you have?
Fog Door
Quote:
so you’re saying that you don’t already have a creatively unlimited array of possibilities using the gear that you have?

I think I probably do already have an unlimited array of possibilities available to me but I just don't see the sense in putting in an artificial limit.

When I started recording I just had a Yamaha VSS-200 which had a rudimentary sampler on it, it was terrible but I made the best of it, even with severely limited options, creativity thrives. Nonetheless, I needed better gear to bring my ideas to fruition and the long journey had begun. You realise you need a guitar, then you need a pedal, then your practice amp sucks etc Of course, I don't think buying better gear makes you more creative or a better musician and its clear from some of the comments on here that buying too much stuff in the modular world can stifle your output (a trap I'd be keen to avoid). I just don't see how you can draw a line under your set up and say no more ever because who knows, in the years to come mindblowing gear could come out and surely you would be interested to see what you could create with it?
Blairio
ThomasTheWankEngine wrote:
Blairio wrote:
okiikahuna wrote:

I my instance I bought multiple small cases. It's mentally easier for me to take one and put it up on the shelf, out of sight, than it is to deal with a single large case with correspondingly large gaps.

I also make use of blanking panels to add a little more space around denser modules and reduce visual noise. Fifty dollars in blanks goes a long way.

Maybe someone should create a line of limited edition, very cool, blank panels, Or maybe they aren't entirely blank, but have blinking lights, or something that flips down to hold a few patch cables. I have never seen mirror blank panels.... so many possibilities.
Fog Door
Quote:
Maybe someone should create a line of limited edition, very cool, blank panels, Or maybe they aren't entirely blank, but have blinking lights, or something that flips down to hold a few patch cables

I dread to think how much those might cost here in the UK! eek!
Pelsea
Fog Door wrote:
As musicians we are always developing and evolving both in technique and in our creative ideas. I don't think its possible to draw a line under your set up and deem it definitively complete. There will always be new gear that could open new possibilities, how do you turn your back on that? I'm new to modular for just that reason, to explore a new creative space and to have new choices to make. I've only got a few modules and I'm a long way off a full rack but I already know I'll probably never stop buying modules, in the same way that just because I'm getting into modular doesn't mean I'll never buy another standalone synth or guitar or whatever. I can't rule anything out because my musical vision a few years from now may well have shifted from where it is at the moment. When I can see potential benefits to my creative output I don't think GAS of any flavour is a bad thing.

It is true that have blown my new module budget, but that doesn't mean the system is finished.

There are several blank panels that I will replace with DIY modules. I'll decide what the functions should be as I work with the system. I'm just marking panels with a label as I discover needs for now.
I will be rebuilding some of my homemade modules. For instance, the output mixer should be stereo.
Most of the timing and sequencing functions are handled by Max/MSP-- that means I have a lot of patches to write.
Finally, my performances always feature oddball interfaces. (I'm learning the Seaboard right now). Building them is a whole other set of projects.
Pelsea
Fog Door wrote:
Quote:
Maybe someone should create a line of limited edition, very cool, blank panels, Or maybe they aren't entirely blank, but have blinking lights, or something that flips down to hold a few patch cables

I dread to think how much those might cost here in the UK! eek!

Blank panels needn't be made of precious metals-- you can cut them out of cereal boxes.
lisa
Fog Door wrote:
I think I probably do already have an unlimited array of possibilities available to me but I just don't see the sense in putting in an artificial limit.

I hear you and I agree to a great degree.

What irritated me a bit about the "modular community" when I started was all the people kind of lovingly comparing it to drug use, saying that you'll never be done and that you should get a much bigger case than you ever though you'd need. In short, people unable to control their own GAS projecting that onto others. There are also plenty of testimonials of folks buying Eurorack on credit and people getting into the format at a high purchase pace but not really using it. Etc, etc. This thread is a bit of a counteraction.

As for artificial limits I have none. I came to the conclusion that the rack size I got now is perfect for me. I have an array of modules covering any need I can think of. I researched modules heavily for a year, while I was filling up the rack. I know about most readily available modules and I've made a conscious decision about all of them. I'm not missing out on anything.
Pelsea
lisa wrote:

What irritated me a bit about the "modular community" when I started was all the people kind of lovingly comparing it to drug use, saying that you'll never be done and that you should get a much bigger case than you ever though you'd need. In short, people unable to control their own GAS projecting that onto others. There are also plenty of testimonials of folks buying Eurorack on credit and people getting into the format at a high purchase pace but not really using it. Etc, etc. This thread is a bit of a counteraction.

Maybe there should be a GAS hotline. When the urge is unbearable, call up and a counselor will talk you down, perhaps suggesting a cheaper alternative or showing you how to patch the function from the modules you have.

I have always known musicians who collect instruments, but I was surprised to discover the number who treat modules like baseball cards. It brings to mind some of the characters in John Sladek's "The Muller-Fokker Effect" who are convinced all that stands between them and immortality is "Some of that new Muller-Fokker tape and a really good white noise generator".

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H6SOCU8/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding= UTF8&btkr=1
Fog Door
Quote:
This thread is a bit of a counteraction.

Yes, I understand and perhaps I had drifted somewhat from the point of your thread. There will always be people who are primarily "collectors" in any music scene and that is absolutely fine, they are at liberty to spend their money as they see fit and I'm sure they have a damn good time doing it. However, I can see how it might be annoying if you feel that others may be led astray or in some way harmed by the promotion and persistence of a damaging ideology.

Quote:
who are convinced all that stands between them and immortality is "Some of that new Muller-Fokker tape and a really good white noise generator".

Where can I get some of this tape??? wink
Funch
lisa wrote:
Blairio: And that’s why the ”get a big case from the start” advice is such poison for some beginners.

And quote:
"What irritated me a bit about the "modular community" when I started was all the people kind of lovingly comparing it to drug use, saying that you'll never be done and that you should get a much bigger case than you ever though you'd need. In short, people unable to control their own GAS projecting that onto others."

Hope this makes sense in the context of your quotes

"Conclusion on the quote: “Hell is other people”:

The No Exit play by Sartre perfectly illustrates the difficult coexistence of people: the fact that others – and their gaze – is what alienates and locks me in a particular kind of being, which in turn deprives me of my freedom."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the-philosophy.com/sartre-hell-is-oth er-people/amp
Blairio
Funch wrote:
lisa wrote:

And quote:
"What irritated me a bit about the "modular community" when I started was all the people kind of lovingly comparing it to drug use, saying that you'll never be done and that you should get a much bigger case than you ever though you'd need. In short, people unable to control their own GAS projecting that onto others."

The No Exit play by Sartre perfectly illustrates the difficult coexistence of people: the fact that others – and their gaze – is what alienates and locks me in a particular kind of being, which in turn deprives me of my freedom."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the-philosophy.com/sartre-hell-is-oth er-people/amp

Hell may be other people (to Sartre) but we need them - such as this online community and those contributing to it. Maybe Sartre just over thought things a bit. Most folk labour under their own self imposed constraints, They don't need anybody else's.
Fog Door
Quote:
Maybe Sartre just over thought things a bit

Ha ha ha I don't know if you meant that as a joke, but that's funny lol
Blairio
Fog Door wrote:
Quote:
Maybe Sartre just over thought things a bit

Ha ha ha I don't know if you meant that as a joke, but that's funny lol

Let's face it, there are not many jokes you can make about Sartre..
Funch
Blairio wrote:
Funch wrote:
lisa wrote:

And quote:

Hell may be other people (to Sartre) but we need them - such as this online community and those contributing to it. Maybe Sartre just over thought things a bit. Most folk labour under their own self imposed constraints, They don't need anybody else's.
well that's the point isn't it? You don't need other people to define you or "irritate" you over trivial matters. As Sarte is saying, you limit your freedom when other people are getting into your head such to the point that it alters you in negative ways. Often our conclusions are based upon what our perception of the situation is as it relates to us, not the reality of the situation. We see the world as we are.

Of course we need other people, we are social creatures and participate in Cooperative groups for the benefit of the group and individuals with in that group.
electricanada
Funch wrote:
well that's the point isn't it? You don't need other people to define you or "irritate" you over trivial matters. As Sarte is saying, you limit your freedom when other people are getting into your head such to the point that it alters you in negative ways. Often our conclusions are based upon what our perception of the situation is as it relates to us, not the reality of the situation. We see the world as we are.

Of course we need other people, we are social creatures and participate in Cooperative groups for the benefit of the group and individuals with in that group.

That sounds like Buddhism to me.
Blairio
Funch wrote:
Blairio wrote:
Funch wrote:
lisa wrote:

And quote:

When it comes to Philosophy I favour Paul Simon over Sartre "A man sees what he wants to see, and disregards the rest" - The Boxer, 1969.

From memory, "Hell is other people" is Sarte's way of proposing that other people do define us - whether we like it or not. So we build knowledge of ourselves based at least in part on other peoples' views of us and responses to us - both positive and negative. This idea crops up later in Social Psychology's Attribution Theory from the late 1950's onwards.
Funch
Blairio wrote:
Funch wrote:
Blairio wrote:
Funch wrote:
lisa wrote:

And quote:

When it comes to Philosophy I favour Paul Simon over Sartre "A man sees what he wants to see, and disregards the rest" - The Boxer, 1969.

From memory, "Hell is other people" is Sarte's way of proposing that other people do define us - whether we like it or not. So we build knowledge of ourselves based at least in part on other peoples' views of us and responses to us - both positive and negative. This idea crops up later in Social Psychology's Attribution Theory from the late 1950's onwards.

I don't disagree with what you are saying. However, people define others through their own illusionary bias. And as of late, we are more organizing into groups that support (confirm) that bias. A group sees what it wants to see and disregards the rest. So it's logical not to let the illisions of others define you.

And I believe that is part of what Lisa is saying. There is a group within the modular community (she believes) that are "pushing" their own consumptive addiction onto others. If you want to be part of "our" group, buy more modules and be sure to buy a big case from the start.

However, no need to let that group position define you or irritate you.

As Sarte proposes (I think), you give up your freedom of self by doing so.

You may be after all just creating an illusionary rationalization reflective of your own bias possibly to control your own additive tendencies ( in this case) by dismissing another group.

Its logical to break that cycle for the sake of freedom of the self.

Here is another analysis quote from the link I posted. I yield to folks smarter on this subject through their years of dedicated study.

"The only defence left at one’s disposal is to transform others, to turn them into an object for my own consciousness and with my own characterization. We must rid ourselves of others, to escape and to reclaim oneself and the freedom that the Other’s gaze is depriving me of. Consciousness invents this subterfuge to continue to exist as a subject, in what constitutes yet another effort to resist the attempted subordination of the self by the gaze of the Other. This opens a moral dilemma."
Fog Door
Quote:
"The only defence left at one’s disposal is to transform others, to turn them into an object for my own consciousness and with my own characterization. We must rid ourselves of others, to escape and to reclaim oneself and the freedom that the Other’s gaze is depriving me of. Consciousness invents this subterfuge to continue to exist as a subject, in what constitutes yet another effort to resist the attempted subordination of the self by the gaze of the Other. This opens a moral dilemma."

Just shut up and buy some damn modules! very frustrating
Funch
Fog Door wrote:
Quote:

Just shut up and buy some damn modules! very frustrating

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube .com/watch%3Fv%3D_C34g5mz1ZQ&ved=2ahUKEwjX69CuxajhAhVErJ4KHSs3AfEQwqsB MAJ6BAgFEBA&usg=AOvVaw13S6gAW-kNPsqhlQith47L

hihi
radin
What the hell is going on here? I thought we were talking about abstaining from buying more modules not whether or not Sartre was a complete fraud whose "original" ideas came from his misunderstanding of Heidegger.
cptnal
radin wrote:
What the hell is going on here? I thought we were talking about abstaining from buying more modules not whether or not Sartre was a complete fraud whose "original" ideas came from his misunderstanding of Heidegger.

Not sure if this was supposed to be a funny, but it made me laugh. applause
electricanada
At least Sartre owned a cat:

MarcelP
electricanada wrote:

Hell is other peoples cats.
Funch
MarcelP wrote:
electricanada wrote:

Hell is other peoples cats.
now that's funny. thumbs up

Hell is other peoples forcing me to buy more modular module's by spreading their module addictions here on a modular forum. hihi
lisa
Mmm, yum! My life sure was lacking some half baked, quasi-intellectual opposition to the bleeding obvious. It's peanut butter jelly time! MY ASS IS BLEEDING
notmiserlouagain
Blairio wrote:
Maybe Sartre just over thought things a bit.

Quote of the month! Love it! Homer Simpson

lisa wrote:
Mmm, yum! My life sure was lacking some half baked, quasi-intellectual opposition to the bleeding obvious. It's peanut butter jelly time! MY ASS IS BLEEDING

Mr. Green

As the saying goes: "All the gear, no idea..." (hides)

tl;dr It´s a bit of a mystery to myself but I´m really put off by much of the "modular scene", the too-much-of-everything-hype,
so much raving about modules, so little experimentation in concept or process! So little interest for the musical aspects!
Consumerism kills creativity! Less is more! Just saying**... angry

Something like Jessica Rylan did with her Personal Synth really fascinates me, she only needed like sixteen knobs??
The synth as a means to an end, not the end in itself, and you can still have some fetish fun!

**Yes, it´s entirely my own problem and a matter of taste, and no, Im not that negative, just contradictory,
since I love all you freaks and still click on all your little Soundcloud headers
Miley Cyrus
Fog Door
Less can be more but "all the gear, no idea" is not necessarily a bad place to be if you want to make interesting music.

Quote:
The synth as a means to an end, not the end in itself,

This ultimately reflects my own position, but the sheer depth and complexity of modular systems mean that it is fully justifiable that the synth be the end in itself. We all have the freedom to choose how we wish to spend our time and money after all.

I understand the point the OP was trying to make and that is all I will take away from this thread, although I suspect it may always be around . . . undying, eternal.
cptnal
I'd agree we need more content about patching. We're all right for content about gear. There are corners of this forum where you can find and share ideas about patching, and I always enjoy those threads more. Perhaps if a skewed focus on gear upsets us so much we should all up our game and contribute more on the ideas side. seriously, i just don't get it
notmiserlouagain
Fog Door wrote:
Less can be more but "all the gear, no idea" is not necessarily a bad place to be if you want to make interesting music.

applause Well, to me, it is, but good point! I was just having a rant/fun! There´s no single answer to this thread, but that drug metaphor is telling and not without serious implications for some. A good thing to think about it, again and again?

Fog Door wrote:
I understand the point the OP was trying to make and that is all I will take away from this thread, although I suspect it may always be around . . . undying, eternal.

And that Sartre thingie made my day!
ayruos
cptnal wrote:
I'd agree we need more content about patching. We're all right for content about gear. There are corners of this forum where you can find and share ideas about patching, and I always enjoy those threads more. Perhaps if a skewed focus on gear upsets us so much we should all up our game and contribute more on the ideas side. seriously, i just don't get it

I remember maybe half a decade ago when my primary occupation was working as a video editor, often the conversation that came up between other editors was "what software are you using for xyz..." and never about technique.

Then I read this theory - even though all video editors were editing video, the nature of the productions/videos were so varied, the only common point of discussion would be about the software tools, etc.

I think music, and modular, is similar. Everyone is working on such different kinds of music, or thinks about music differently, often the common point of discussion between two musicians would be "what gear are you using". With modular, there's so many modules and even more ways to patch between them, this problem becomes even more amplified.
Fog Door
Quote:
I was just having a rant/fun! There´s no single answer to this thread

I know, I totally agree with pretty much everything you've said smile
Funch
lisa wrote:
So not a Billy Mummy fan? Fully baked would be more accurate. Good thread w00t while it lasted though.
moremagic
ayruos wrote:
cptnal wrote:

I remember maybe half a decade ago when my primary occupation was working as a video editor, often the conversation that came up between other editors was "what software are you using for xyz..." and never about technique.

Then I read this theory - even though all video editors were editing video, the nature of the productions/videos were so varied, the only common point of discussion would be about the software tools, etc.

I think music, and modular, is similar. Everyone is working on such different kinds of music, or thinks about music differently, often the common point of discussion between two musicians would be "what gear are you using". With modular, there's so many modules and even more ways to patch between them, this problem becomes even more amplified.
critics talk about art
artists talk about paint
lisa
I lasted almost six months but today I ordered my second EP-420. w00t
cptnal
Welcome back. It's peanut butter jelly time!
Keltie
Three months... then a factory peaks came up on the bay, and it seemed like a rational loosener for the post superbooth broke AF fest that is inevitably coming my way.

On the plus side, I’m packing up the ciggies next week. Which will mean more cash for modules. very frustrating
Pelsea
Pelsea wrote:

Not quite, as it turned out. Given an opportunity to make a presentation, I was inspired to fill in all of the gaps in my system--

However, instead of the show, I was treated to an ambulance ride that came very close to being one way. This gave a new twist to the phrase, "last module". So, even though I have the materials for another row squirreled away, it's time to let the iron cool down and make some serious music. I'll never be remembered for owning a nice instrument, but as a composer.. well, who knows.
Parnelli
I'm picking up small utilities now and staving off the big purchases until... well... at least the next one! My rack is about full, but I also have my 2 Mother 32's mounted in it, so if I take them out I could get a...

Seriously though I've really slowed down and I'm saving that last bit of space for those extra special things I cannot live without that I haven't learned about yet...

Unless I go all out like Lisa and acquire (make) another case... I have thoughts of getting something like a secretary's desk and installing a modular system in it, making both a musical instrument and wonderful piece of furniture when the doors are closed!

Just a thought... I'd have to find a used one in descent shape first...
Blairio
I looked at my modular rig the other day after placing it on a 2 month sabbatical in my spare room, and thought... in the name of God, how did I end up with so much stuff? Ok, so it took me 7 years to get to my current 18U (504HP) rig with a fair bit of buying / selling / trading along the way, and each module was a carefully thought out purchase funded by music work, but the volume of kit is now frankly a turn-off in creative terms. I wish now that I had set a hard limit such as 9U, when I set out.

I reckon I'll leave the bulk of the rig in the spare room for now, and use one 3U 84HP case to assemble a specific instrument every so often until my full eurorack mojo returns.
Muff McMuff
Blairio wrote:
I looked at my modular rig the other day after placing it on a 2 month sabbatical in my spare room, and thought... in the name of God, how did I end up with so much stuff? Ok, so it took me 7 years to get to my current 18U (504HP) rig with a fair bit of buying / selling / trading along the way..

You have 504hp in total or six rows of 504hp? I am trying to imagine how big it is!
MindMachine
I have not bought any modules for a while. Cold turkey.

I have bought a keyboard, a stomp box, more power, some mallets and assembled a feedback system w/ a handheld mic, amplifier and drive in theatre speaker.

There are really only 10-12 modules that I want at this time. Mr. Green
Blairio
Muff McMuff wrote:
Blairio wrote:
I looked at my modular rig the other day after placing it on a 2 month sabbatical in my spare room, and thought... in the name of God, how did I end up with so much stuff? Ok, so it took me 7 years to get to my current 18U (504HP) rig with a fair bit of buying / selling / trading along the way..

You have 504hp in total or six rows of 504hp? I am trying to imagine how big it is!

Ah, I should have been clearer! I have three cases, each 84HP wide. A 3U one, a 6U one and a 9U one. Total is 18U, and 504HP.....
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 15