MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

CV Sample Libraries?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author CV Sample Libraries?
digitalohm
hi everyone,

wondering if anyone has some sources for cv samples?
Dave Peck
How would that even work? Or course you could record a CV signal, you just need a DC coupled A/D converter. But how would you use the resulting sample to control an analog synth? I mean is there any way to 'play' it that would actually route the signal to anywhere useful? Wouldn't it just get played by a softsynth or hardware sampler as if it were an audio signal and get routed to AC coupled audio outputs, which would destroy the CV signal?
moremagic
theres always the subotnick method: patch your CV to be recorded to a VCA, run an osc into it, record the output, then playback into an env follower
digitalohm
the rossum assimil8or has a dc coupled sampling mode for recording control voltages, per the manual it is good for anything except pitch 1v per octave. the tiptop one also does this, Im not sure how they work internally.

from there you can manipulate the sample and trigger it the same as any other.

ive been sampling functions I create with the a8, but thought it would be cool to see if there are some places to share or download cv samples, im sure there are functions out there with levels of insanity I haven't even dreamt of.
Dave Peck
Aaaaah, got it. There's a few other CV recorder modules out there too, like a couple from Modcan. You're looking for recorded CV signals for playback from these types of modules, not regular sample libraries that would get played back from a sampler synth as audio files.

It's a pretty specific need. Are there user groups or forums for those specific modules? Maybe try at the module mfgr's web sites?
cptnal
moremagic wrote:
theres always the subotnick method: patch your CV to be recorded to a VCA, run an osc into it, record the output, then playback into an env follower

applause Modular thinking.
unrecordings
cptnal wrote:
moremagic wrote:

applause Modular thinking.

I think this was referred to as Ghost Electronics back in the day
boramx
i use the ES8 to record into Ableton (or whatever DAW) and to also play back from in the same way.

Having an ableton set just for sending looping voltage gestures and such is pretty powerful.

i have also done some interesting MAX patches that work in a similar way - with voltage samples.

I wouldn't want a "library" though. most of my recordings are edits, loops etc etc of me playing joysticks, ribbons, DC offsets, tapped out gate patterns etc.

the nice thing about this method of working is that i can change the patch/audio part completely, yet things like rhythms and gestures remain the same.
mt3
Brilliantly excellent fookin' sexy question.
Modules to explore:
* Assiml8r
* Control Forge
* Kermit
* Brainseed
* Tyme Sefari mk I

Note that Double Andore mk I is a dual WAVETABLE ENVELOPE module with builtin VCA and separate envelope outs per channel.
w00t

That said, Expert Sleepers with Silent Way (or similar) basically does what you would want in the box.
digitalohm
generating cv is not an issue, i was more curious about whether or not there were already pre-existing sets of sampled cv in .wav format.
DrReverendSeance
There are midi samples packs - you can use these with a midi2cv converter.
mt3
digitalohm wrote:
generating cv is not an issue, i was more curious about whether or not there were already pre-existing sets of sampled cv in .wav format.

Any restrictions or specific format required for importing CV samples onto Assimil8r? File length constraints? Bit depth? Sample rate?
flx
The Bastl GrandPa granular sample player is DC coupled too and can play back CVs recorded as WAV files.
mt3
mt3 wrote:
Brilliantly excellent fookin' sexy question.
Modules to explore:
* Assiml8r
* Control Forge
* Kermit
* Brainseed
* Tyme Sefari mk I

Note that Double Andore mk I is a dual WAVETABLE ENVELOPE module with builtin VCA and separate envelope outs per channel.
w00t

That said, Expert Sleepers with Silent Way (or similar) basically does what you would want in the box.

And just came across Xaoc Zadar:

mt3
digitalohm wrote:

Galbanum Architecture Waveforms 2010 could be reappropriated for CV use.
https://www.galbanum.com/products/architecturewaveforms2010

AKWF Waveforms as well:
https://www.adventurekid.se/akrt/waveforms/adventure-kid-waveforms

EDIT: Software I forgot to mention earlier:
http://spektroaudio.com/cv-toolkit-standalone
digitalohm
@mt3 oh good idea, I hadn't thought about the wavetables. That could be cool. I wonder if they were ac or dc coupled...or if that matters?
mt3
digitalohm wrote:
@mt3 oh good idea, I hadn't thought about the wavetables. That could be cool. I wonder if they were ac or dc coupled...or if that matters?

Not exactly sure myself.
tito_tunes
You could use audio from any sample library and run it into an envelope follower. Try drum loops, guitar loops, synth loops, voices, whatever
aaooaa
I just did a quick test with recording CV output from VCV Rack into Ableton and it seems to work pretty well. You can use VCV Rack to record a library of modulation sources to send out of your soundcard.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1