MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Lisa Bella Donna (synthesist extraordinaire)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Author Lisa Bella Donna (synthesist extraordinaire)
Rex Coil 7
I discovered this woman quite by accident. One HELL of a ~player~ ... and not just a keyboard player, she really knows her way around a synth! Right up there at the pro-player level.

This one in particular is very nice, keep in mind this was her first test drive with the Moog Grandmother, she brought her own set of FX pedals with her to check out the Granny.

She loves her ARP synths! That's for sure!

Rex Coil 7
Really nice. She makes the Mellotron M4000D Mini ~her own~. I've not heard one of these modern Mellotrons until I ran across this video this evening. Very impressive sounding ... I suppose for $2K it damned well should sound good!

It's such a pleasure to hear an accomplished "player" unleash themselves on keyed synths they love to play. I absolutely adore her taste in sounds and synths as well. In the background if you look carefully there's a full-on vintage Leslie in view. Good taste, indeed!

A number of her videos spotlight "Earthquaker Devices" so I'm guessing there's some sort of sponsorship of Lisa by Earthquaker (or an endorsement by Lisa) going on. No matter, that doesn't change how her ability, musical tastes, and gear tastes all come together to create her music.

thumbs up
umma gumma
+1 those were all fantastic vids

what was the keyboard under the Arp odyssey in vid#2?

she was playing chords on it

Solina?
Rex Coil 7
umma gumma wrote:
+1 those were all fantastic vids

what was the keyboard under the Arp odyssey in vid#2?

she was playing chords on it

Solina?
Well, close enough ... it may be an ARP "String Ensemble". The String Ensemble was built by Solina for ARP in the early 1970s, badged as the ARP String Ensemble. After a few years of buying them from Solina the story goes that ARP reverse engineered it and made their own, and renamed it as the OMNI, and later the OMNI II. The OMNI II was ARP's best selling synth of their entire model line during ARP's entire existence.

And actually that is an ARP AXXE that is above it, not an Odyssey. Above the AXXE is a 2600, and above the 2600 is a TTSH (modern 2600 clone).

The Odyssey is off to her right flank, beneath what I believe to be an ARP sequencer.

On her hard right side is a Moog Prodigy and one of those new Mellotron "M4000D Mini" rompler machines (that all white synth) beneath the Moog.

I think that Prodigy has been replaced with the Moog Grandmother of late.

thumbs up
umma gumma
aha, thanks!

droolworthy collection of gear, that's for sure

although I am surprised she doesn't ditch all that crap and use an emulator instead.....I hear version 2.2 sounds a lot more like the real thing, than v2.1

Rockin' Banana!
Panason
She's far out! The M4000 video is serious psychedelic material. This is fun!
Rex Coil 7
umma gumma wrote:
aha, thanks!

droolworthy collection of gear, that's for sure

although I am surprised she doesn't ditch all that crap and use an emulator instead.....I hear version 2.2 sounds a lot more like the real thing, than v2.1

Rockin' Banana!
I suppose the same thing could be said about all of us that use these "antiquated" modular synths. seriously, i just don't get it

She does love her some ARPS! Play Him Off, Keyboard Cat.
Rex Coil 7
Panason wrote:
She's far out! The M4000 video is serious psychedelic material. This is fun!
Ain't that the truth!

Very inspiring stuff, very inspiring player.

cool
pulse_divider
She is a good friend of mine. I think she is the best musician I've ever seen and she equally rips on guitar, drums and bass. She is also one of the finest human beings I've ever met and has an amazing vast knowledge of lots of different styles of rock, metal and jazz.

Your assessment is correct, she works for EarthQuaker Devices (as do I) as a demo artist and she is always at our booth demoing during trade shows. Anyone that goes to NAMM should stop by and check her out in person and have their face melted. She does most of the sound samples on our website.

She has been involved in a ton of great projects throughout the years--here are some current ones that are my favs:

Solo, I'm not sure how to categorize it but very synth heavy https://lisabelladonna.bandcamp.com/

Eye, heavy classic proto-metal in the vein of Deep Purple, King Crimson, UFO, Mercyful Fate, etc
https://eyemusic.bandcamp.com/

She's also plays in other bands and engineers/produces a lot of other people's projects. I got to hear a jazz LP she just produced for Stan Smith, I 'm not sure if it's out yet but it's great and has some really excellent synth work that would definitely appeal to fans of Weather Report and the like. I know she also does Musique Concrete shows with just a bunch of 8-tracks.

She works full-time on music so buy her bandcamp stuff if you like it, she could really use the support! Here is one of my favorite tracks of hers:
https://lisabelladonna.bandcamp.com/track/red-veils
pulse_divider
Also, for anyone that is in northeast Ohio, she is doing a demo at EQD's pedal launch party (free!) on Monday, Oct. 1st at Thursday's Lounge in Akron. It starts early and ends early! you kids get off my lawn
umma gumma
wow, how cool is that???

ps in case it wasn't obvious, I was totally joking about the emulator stuff above
cretaceousear
Wow - she's brilliant - and to know those pedals inside out and get sounds that are right .. that Mellotron demo is great. Beyond your average demo!
Rex Coil 7
I used to know someone like this when I was in my twenties. His name was Truett Tidwell, one hell of a keyboard player. Lisa reminds me alot of that guy. After he came out and went through complete transitional surgery she was Trudy, moved to Europe, started playing in a progressive/heavy metal band consisting of all keyboard players a drummer and a singer. That was the early part of 1981, there weren't many "heavy metal all kybd bands" like that back then.

Whatever makes folks happy, I suppose! thumbs up thumbs up

(no longer monitoring this thread ... it's run out of steam at this point).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Page 1 of 1