MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

EHX Flanger Hoax
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author EHX Flanger Hoax
zerosum
(This will be updated soon, right now its a placeholder)

Well I got this thing as a comfort piece of gear, I need some wet effects...
Wow this was actually the first EHX pedal I owned, It was also the only modulation pedal I had at the time i bought it..wow.

Anyway, I was amazed with the results of using it as an instrument on its own....Countless recordings this thing has been on, I've also used it as an LFO(recordings of that coming later)....Fun pedal.

EHX Flanger Hoax Frostwave Sonic Alienator jam
EHX Flanger Hoax Frostwave Sonic Alienator jam 2
Flanger Hoax with synths and by itelf a few parts
scozbor
i want to hear more!
I am quite close to getting one of these i think.

whats your verdict on it now after you've had it for a while?
Cat-A-Tonic
That first track with the Hoax and the Alienator reminds me alot of a buffer override plug-in.
Really Cool!

I wonder if a similar effect could be achieved with a Tau phaser and some other bit reducer/decimator, like a Malgorhythm or a Bitrman....

What's your impression of the Frostwave Sonic Alienator?
zerosum
Quote:
i want to hear more!
I am quite close to getting one of these i think.

whats your verdict on it now after you've had it for a while?

hihi 8) SlayerBadger!

I'll get some for ya!
Most of what I have done with it isn't what EHX markets it for, its a bunch of warbly swarbly "gives people headaches" type stuff hihi

Its got the bigass annoying EHX knobs and the ridiculous huge ass EHX box,
More of a phaser than a Flange but out of control and wacky w00t

More fun with synths than guitars, it can be fun as a "fun generator" noise machine type thing.

Noiseheads should love it. You would probably like it.

I'll get some demos up when I get home SlayerBadger!

Quote:
I wonder if a similar effect could be achieved with a Tau phaser and some other bit reducer/decimator, like a Malgorhythm or a Bitrman....

I'm sure it could hyper

Quote:
What's your impression of the Frostwave Sonic Alienator?

100% fun hyper It's peanut butter jelly time!
It does sample rate reduction, where the Bitrman can do bitcrushing(and sample rate reduction??), so they are different from eachother in that reguard, I'm sure they sound completly different too(I don't own a bitrman yet).
The harvestman Malgorhythm looks amazing plus it has CV controls and more,
Probly the ultimate reducer.
If you already have a Euro setup and a free space I can't think of a reason not to have a Malgorhythm.

The alienator is worth having in my opinion, It has brought me quite a bit of joy!
I use it way too much.
I'll have some more clips of that coming soon too.
scozbor
the flanger hoax is obviously lacking in external modulation, but do you think it lessens the need for a blacet stonz phaser?

getting both is probably the best option lol
Kwote
scozbor wrote:
the flanger hoax is obviously lacking in external modulation, but do you think it lessens the need for a blacet stonz phaser?

getting both is probably the best option lol

i dunno. but here's a stonzphase demo:

http://www.kwotemusic.com/stonzphasedemo.mp3
scozbor
nice demo!
thanks kwote Mr. Green
zerosum
Quote:
getting both is probably the best option

Yeah because the Stonzeeeee has CV and a different sound and workflow.
I'll get a stoneZ someday too.
The FH is quite a bit different than the Stonezeeeee,

Check this page out, this is what made me buy one:
http://www.modezero.com/flanger-hoax.htm

Quote:
here's a stonzphase demo:

applause
scozbor
yup i'll be getting one on pay day 8)
sounds great! love
scozbor
well i didnt get one! still very tempted though.

got a jomox t-resonator instead Mr. Green
ryangaston
Raising the dead here, but:

I'm typically more of a synth nerd, but recently started collecting "guitar" effects pedals for discrete little functions. And I just got my Flanger Hoax. And as a standalone signal generator, it basically makes a lot of the crazy feedback sounds I would have been making with a synthesizer anyway. screaming goo yo

Basically turned my modest pedalboard into a poor man's modular. I love it.

But alas, as mentioned, no CV. waah

scozbor
still getting gold out of mine! So tweakable!
maltemark
scozbor wrote:
still getting gold out of mine! So tweakable!

Thinking about getting one. The lack of cv control is of course worrying. Thosevof you who have got one, what applications are you putting it towards? Id love to hear examples!

My alternatives are considerably more spendy things like the mf103, or vermona ph16 or a bel bf20 if i can find one. . Regret not buying one the other week for 230 eur.. maybe a dod r870, if one turns up.
Sinamsis
I had one for a bit. Wasn't that impressed. Was using it for guitar. As mentioned above probably better for synths. Good for noise/effects. I can't recall if this introduced a lot of him to the signal, but some older EHX pedals I have owned do.

Might look at the Empress Phaser, Blackout Whetstone (both phasers) or the Dr. Scientist Cosmichorus for modulation. I personally went with a Strymon Mobius, it's not cheap, but that's a lot of stuff in one box.
Seven Experiments
I love my Flanger Hoax. It can be a tricky beast with guitar, as it is hard to get the same effect twice. But that is why I love it. I have Electric Mistress, Small Stone and a big box vintage Clone Theory for the basic flange, phase and chorus duties.

For guitar it does seem to work better with some distortion or fuzz going into it. But I can get some lovely phasing/flanging with a clean guitar too.

Recently I have been running my minibrute and crazy stuff from Reaktor through it and it is magical. It is a great machine for noise. It is a great pedal for wiggling as something is going through it. Which is hard when play guitar, but really flourishes with synths.

I never thought about not having CV in it, since I used it mostly for guitar. But if it did, wow, game changer. Oh well.

My first foray in to the modular world should be arriving this week and I can't wait to run it through the Hoax.

K
Seven Experiments
Here is a quick sample of minibrute into flanger hoax.

Just minibrute into flanger hoax into audio interface into Zoom H4n.

holding a note and turning knobs on flanger hoax. a little filter cutoff in middle.

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/192861929" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
YellowBlood
that thing sounds like it was meant for a synth! excellent track dude! SlayerBadger!
j__
\0
Taika-Kim
I´ve had this for some years, and really wanted to like it more, used it on songs even, but just can´t.

The most interesting thing are, yes, the self-oscillations, here´s a loong play with them:

The delay sections sound fine enough, and the TZF effect is good, but the phaser sections sound really dull, and eat away both the body and highs of the sound way too much. I hope there would be a mod that would bypass all lowpass filtering inside the device razz

So I think I´m selling mine, especially since it´s huuuuge and I´d like to keep the working space tidy.
scozbor
regretted selling mine for years and always thought about picking up another one. but just got a line6 liquaflange cheap and the lust is gone Dead Banana
moloque
I had one for many years. I used it mostly on my table top setup since you get the most of it when tweaking stuff. If it would had couple of exp input I might have keep it (and put it on my main board). Still overall really good for out space sounds! I only sold it (along with 20 other pedals) when I got into eurorack....
felixer
my fave flanger pedal is this:

it sounds great, is stereo and has lots of modulation waveforms: step is hard s&h, random is a slewlimited/flowing version, there's envelope follower up&down and saw is triggered envelope. still no cv inputs but i hardly miss that. on top of all that it's compact/small and very affordable Mr. Green
yes, it's made out of plastic but i've had two for years and both are still working fine cool
i also own an old ehx poly flanger (nice but noisy and nowhere near as versatile), a line6 M5 (nice but larger and twice the price) and loads of rack gear (incl a fireworx, roland and ada devices) and that lil' behringer thingie holds it's own ...

btw i'm sure the ehx can be modded for some cv inputs. anybody open one up yet? the behringer is tiny, smd with pcb-mounted pots so i wouldn't want to mess with that but the ehx is larger. might even be thru-hole/oldfashioned-size parts? seems plenty of room on the sides for some jacks ...
i modded a cathedral once (despite smd) and that turned out very nice thumbs up
maltemark
I would _love_ cv inputs on mine. I haven't seen anyone attempting to do such a mod on different fora, but last time I looked was 2 years ago or so.
felixer
maltemark wrote:
I would _love_ cv inputs on mine. I haven't seen anyone attempting to do such a mod on different fora, but last time I looked was 2 years ago or so.

here's a link to the post about the cathedral https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=60110&postdays=0&pos torder=asc&start=50
my cv mod for dave mckenic is described on page 3. including pics and a simple schematic. any decent tech should be able to do it ...

but the cathedral is a digital box. the hoax seems analog? dunno ... but that should make it even easier and safer: no cpu you might blow up hihi
anybody got any pics of the insides of one?

as i said, most work is mechanical: opening the box and getting the pcb out can be tricky. and you need to find some room for the jacksockets and drill those holes without wrecking anything else. or make an external box for that ... the parts are usually cheap, it's mainly labour you'd be paying for if you can't diy ...
thetwlo
felixer wrote:
my fave flanger pedal is this:

ha! just grabbed a Flanger Machine used for for $25 shipped thanks to your recommendation! Funny, as the SOS reviews say it's the only one in the series that isn't worth having.
This thing is fantastic! thanks! kills the older digital flangers that I love and perhaps the analog ones. Old digital flangers can be quite magical.. and this seems to cover that territory well.
thanks!!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2