MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

a new shnth patch!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Author a new shnth patch!
notb
This short little patch is the culmination of everything I've learned about this instrument. It's something I've had in my head for a long time so I'm posting it here, hoping to get some feedback. Essentially, it's a sequencer/drum machine where the bars and corp squish the sounds.

Code:

{
 (lights (slave (horn 1 (wheel (majord) (majorc))
) (wheelb (major) (majorb))

))

(left
 (combb
 (right
 (wavef
 (add
 (saltd (hornb (salsa (minor) (corp)) 15
 (pulse (xor (slave) (slaveb (minor) (wheelb))) (salsab (minor) (corpb))))
 1 (bar))
 (waved (zither (xor (slave) (slavec (minorb) (wheelb))) (salsac (minorb) (corpb)))
 2 (add (barb) (salsah (minorb) (corp))))
 (comb (salt (smoke (pulseb (xor (slave) (slaved (minorc) (wheelb))) (salsaf (minorc) (corpb))))
 15 (add (barc) (salsag (minorc) (corp))))
 1 69 70)
 (wavec (saw (salsad (minord) (corpb)) (salsae (minord) (corp))
 (swoop (xor (slave) (slavee (minord) (wheelb))) 2 (wheel)))
 2 (bard 64 64)))

105 (corpb))
)

1 (corp) 100)
)
}

Breaking it down, there's four 'instruments', one for each bar. A pulsed horn, a zither, a pulsed smoke, and swooped saw. Each instrument has it's own slave that gets xor'd against a 'clock' slave to produce triggers for a rhythm. Pressing the lower minor button on that bar will change the rhythm and also sample the corps to set values for modulations on that instrument. Squishing the bar will modulate the sound even more. All four instruments then go through a wave low pass filter controlled by right corp, which goes out the right stereo channel before going through a comb delay controlled by left corp and then out the left channel.

The upper major buttons change sequence length (majora and majorb) and clock speed (majorc and majord) with wheels going into the main clock slave, which gets outputted to the lights to show the current beat.

I think the basic concept behind this patch has a lot of potential, which is why I wanted to post it. A different 'instrument' could be swapped in pretty easily and changing what values get modulated can make a huge difference. Please let me know if you have any suggestions or improvements.

Happy squishing!
Sketcherazzi
So glad to see another active Shnther here in 2018, thought I missed the whole party! Just got mine last week, looking forward to trying this patch tonight when I’m at my Mac.
So far I’ve just been cannibalizing existing code into a master file of presets to use on the go. Wish I could run Fish on my phone.

Any tips for ramping up on ShLISP/ Fish?

notb wrote:
This short little patch is the culmination of everything I've learned about this instrument. It's something I've had in my head for a long time so I'm posting it here, hoping to get some feedback. Essentially, it's a sequencer/drum machine where the bars and corp squish the sounds.

Code:

{
 (lights (slave (horn 1 (wheel (majord) (majorc))
) (wheelb (major) (majorb))

))

(left
 (combb
 (right
 (wavef
 (add
 (saltd (hornb (salsa (minor) (corp)) 15
 (pulse (xor (slave) (slaveb (minor) (wheelb))) (salsab (minor) (corpb))))
 1 (bar))
 (waved (zither (xor (slave) (slavec (minorb) (wheelb))) (salsac (minorb) (corpb)))
 2 (add (barb) (salsah (minorb) (corp))))
 (comb (salt (smoke (pulseb (xor (slave) (slaved (minorc) (wheelb))) (salsaf (minorc) (corpb))))
 15 (add (barc) (salsag (minorc) (corp))))
 1 69 70)
 (wavec (saw (salsad (minord) (corpb)) (salsae (minord) (corp))
 (swoop (xor (slave) (slavee (minord) (wheelb))) 2 (wheel)))
 2 (bard 64 64)))

105 (corpb))
)

1 (corp) 100)
)
}

Breaking it down, there's four 'instruments', one for each bar. A pulsed horn, a zither, a pulsed smoke, and swooped saw. Each instrument has it's own slave that gets xor'd against a 'clock' slave to produce triggers for a rhythm. Pressing the lower minor button on that bar will change the rhythm and also sample the corps to set values for modulations on that instrument. Squishing the bar will modulate the sound even more. All four instruments then go through a wave low pass filter controlled by right corp, which goes out the right stereo channel before going through a comb delay controlled by left corp and then out the left channel.

The upper major buttons change sequence length (majora and majorb) and clock speed (majorc and majord) with wheels going into the main clock slave, which gets outputted to the lights to show the current beat.

I think the basic concept behind this patch has a lot of potential, which is why I wanted to post it. A different 'instrument' could be swapped in pretty easily and changing what values get modulated can make a huge difference. Please let me know if you have any suggestions or improvements.

Happy squishing!
notb
Thanks Sketcherazzi. I learn the best just poking around and trying random things. It seems so alien at first but it's actually very simple, like literally lisp is the 'simplest' language.

I've managed to hook my shnth into sonic pi which introduces all kinds of possibilities, besides more voices, like midi, OSC, visualization, Minecraft (?) etc. It's just a matter of using SDL library to read it like a joystick.

I've been playing with this thing for a while now and still discover things. I think it makes a great general purpose 'controller' aka 'mouse/game pad' if it's mapped like bara moves left, barb moves right, barc is up, bard is down. And then you got 8 buttons and also the corps for another x,y possibly. Setting this up is the tricky part because the joystick data usually gets read as bara is x barb is y. squishing bara will move positive x then negative x because of the swooping envelope of a squish gesture. The end result is usually that you end up where you started or maybe a little bit in an unpredictable direction. So really should take absolute value of data and map things differently.

Anyway here's a short video: https://twitter.com/brycebot/status/1050946980179009537?s=20
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Page 1 of 1