MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Tocante Karper stand alone power
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Author Tocante Karper stand alone power
Tajnost
During last month I was traveling up north with a super compact self-powered setup incl. Tocante Karper, played in abandoned places, caves, grottos, etc... Despite I like how Karper sounds while powered with the internal sun-charging battery, I like it much more with the wall power adapter (more control, more tone, more volume etc... ). So I'm wondering, is there a ready solution (like 12V battery with a standard power plug ) to power Karper outdoors?

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Hainbach
Koma Strom Mobile is what I am waiting for. Clean power ain't that easy to find.
mrbloor
I use several of these batteries (or similar), if you look at the socket the jump leads fit into it's a 12v feed. You can easily make up your own leads to tap into this 12v. I use them for ciat lonbarde, small portable power amps & field recording equipment. The are nice for the latter as you can power a field mixer from the 12v and simultaneously take a 5v feed from the usb port for a digital recorder.

There is plenty of capacity.

Nearly as cheap as chips.

rechargeable battery pack
Tajnost
Agh nice, thank you. And the emergency light could be useful as well for many tasks smile

So, the only thing needed to use it with CL is a custom cable with those jump lead connectors on the one side and standard 12V plug on the other?

How long can it power one CL device from your experience?

mrbloor wrote:
I use several of these batteries (or similar), if you look at the socket the jump leads fit into it's a 12v feed. You can easily make up your own leads to tap into this 12v. I use them for ciat lonbarde, small portable power amps & field recording equipment. The are nice for the latter as you can power a field mixer from the 12v and simultaneously take a 5v feed from the usb port for a digital recorder.

There is plenty of capacity.

Nearly as cheap as chips.

rechargeable battery pack
mrbloor
Yes that is right, I can't remember the name of the connector but I think they are widely used in rc models (if you don't need this for jump starting then use the ones on the supplied jumper leads. make up the lead with this at one end and a standard 2.1mm barrel connector at the other.

Regarding time, It lasts ages when powering a 4 track field recorder running 4 microphones with phantom power so I think you would get a couple of days on a tocante.

One of mine charges off a separate wall wart (supplied) and the other one uses a usb lead to charge off a regular usb charger. They are great and much cheaper than alternative 'pro' big name battery banks (essentially the same thing).

I love how ciat lonbarde is 12v, gives you great possibilities for things like this to power them.
Yasha
I use an XTPower MP-10000 external battery pack to power my Tocante Bistab. It comes with a cable that fits the Tocante perfectly and is the correct polarity.

I can't tell you how long it lasts on a charge, but if I'm using it for late night multi-oscillator drone sessions it's good for a few nights before I have to recharge.

I've been using it for busking, using a daisy-chain cable to power both the Tocante and (along with a reverse polarity converter cable) a T2 reverb pedal (which hasn't fried yet on 12 v). As well as a USB cable to power a Shnth. After powering these three devices for an hour, the four charge indicator LEDs are all still lit.
Tajnost
Yasha wrote:
I use an XTPower MP-10000 external battery pack to power my Tocante Bistab. It comes with a cable that fits the Tocante perfectly and is the correct polarity.

I can't tell you how long it lasts on a charge, but if I'm using it for late night multi-oscillator drone sessions it's good for a few nights before I have to recharge.

I've been using it for busking, using a daisy-chain cable to power both the Tocante and (along with a reverse polarity converter cable) a T2 reverb pedal (which hasn't fried yet on 12 v). As well as a USB cable to power a Shnth. After powering these three devices for an hour, the four charge indicator LEDs are all still lit.

Great! So cheap and small. Just perfect!

Does anyone knows if it's ok to use Karper in " a bit wet environment "? I usually take it outside to the forest or mountain area or even into a gray cold day in the city... so what happens - for some reason Karper lose all his power even during transportation, after makes a quiet sound or two and "dies"... After 1 - 2 hours later on the table at home, it comes back to life. So that's one of the reasons why I decided to try it with ext. power, but is it really safe (not for me but for the machine!!! )? Do you have a similar experience with ext. power?
Yasha
Tajnost wrote:
Great! So cheap and small. Just perfect!

The size is very nice. It fits easily in the inside pocket of my winter jacket so it's very portable if I just want to take my Tocante out for a walk.

The one negative thing I should have mentioned is that it has a auto-shutoff if the current drops below a certain point after several seconds. I get around that by also plugging in some tiny, always-on USB device, like a arduino board.

About moisture and your Karper... I'm not sure why your Tocante stops working if it still has a charge. Obviously some moisture on the topside is okay, since everyone exhales their damp breath onto their Tocantes from time to time, or runs a wet finger over the touchplates. In the summer, I'm sometimes dripping a little forehead sweat onto the playing surface and it keeps working fine (under battery power).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Page 1 of 1