MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Pedal prices have really gone up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Pedal prices have really gone up
doctorvague
Actual screen shot from ebay this morning.
Shipping and power supply not included.

Rex Coil 7
I don't understand what the ~game~ is behind doing that with prices. I see that tactic used all the time on eBay and elsewhere.

There can't really be anyone that stupid with access to that much money who would actually buy a $125 stomp box for $12k.

Uh ... is there? hmmm.....

I've been befuddled at what the purpose behind that ~game~ is ... there's got to be some type of tactic or scam or ??? behind doing that, I just can't seem to work out what is going on with that.

I mean, I can sortof rationalize the whole $5k Klon thing ... but beyond that, this boggles me bucket!

seriously, i just don't get it
smetak
Here, where I live, on a latinized version of ebay, we have a bunch of outlandish prices for the most inane gear.

A used ebow for US$400, broken old tape recorders for bizarre sums ("rare, antiques") or an original Malmsteen strat, purported to have been owned by the man himself (yeah, right), for an insane amount and so on....

One of my favorite listings is a Gibson GA5 amp selling for over US$5000 - from time to time, the seller varies the price, but the amount is always surreal. Its been on sale for almost four years now, with tons of disparaging comments.

What drives such ludicrous listings is beyond me.
GovernorSilver
All of a sudden Meris pedals look pretty cheap. Made in USA even.
Rex Coil 7
Wife: "When are you going to sell those guitar toys you haven't used in ten years?"

Husband/gear hoarder: "But honey, I have them on eBay, I really am trying to sell some of them ... just for you my sweet!"

Wife: "Why aren't they selling?"

Husband/gear hoarder: "Why I'm not sure, Dearest ... I'm trying my best."

Meanwhile, the stomp box worth no more than $100 that "husband/gear hoarder" has priced at $6,000 sits unsold, as does the rest of the gear he has no intention of selling which he's priced at completely unreasonable amounts.

His conscious completely clear, he sleeps well by telling himself he's not lied to his spouse.

Tune in next week for the next episode of "How To Manipulate Your Wife Into Allowing You To Keep All Of Your Old Gear".

thumbs up lol lol
smetak
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Wife: "When are you going to sell those guitar toys you haven't used in ten years?"

Husband/gear hoarder: "But honey, I have them on eBay, I really am trying to sell some of them ... just for you my sweet!"

Wife: "Why aren't they selling?"

Husband/gear hoarder: "Why I'm not sure, Dearest ... I'm trying my best."

Meanwhile, the stomp box worth no more than $100 that "husband/gear hoarder" has priced at $6,000 sits unsold, as does the rest of the gear he has no intention of selling which he's priced at completely unreasonable amounts.

His conscious completely clear, he sleeps well by telling himself he's not lied to his spouse.

Tune in next week for the next episode of "How To Manipulate Your Wife Into Allowing You To Keep All Of Your Old Gear".

thumbs up lol lol

Haha - so true!
adam
supposedly sellers do this when they're sold out, so they don't need to pull the listing and make a new one, just put the price back when they have stock again
Skotchi
adam wrote:
supposedly sellers do this when they're sold out, so they don't need to pull the listing and make a new one, just put the price back when they have stock again

These outrageous eBay price stories are an endless source of amusement in fora, but your explanation actually makes a ton of sense.
GuyaGuy
adam wrote:

et voilĂ !

https://www.ebay.com/itm/used-RAF-Mirage-Compressor-Excellent-Conditio n-with-box/232816298916?hash=item3634eecba4:g:iOMAAOSwIJdbjZhD:sc:USPS Priority!11226!US!-1
Exhale
The apogee of idiocy is old germanium FuzzFace.
Or Pete Cornish pedals.
Rex Coil 7
Exhale wrote:
The apogee of idiocy is old germanium FuzzFace...
How is the germanium fuzz face idiocy? I own a "Joe Bonamassa" Mini Fuzz Face, along with at least a half dozen DIY/custom fuzz face units. I really like the "Joe B", it sounds much different than the others, and in this case "different" equates to "good".

So whuddup? Huh? Wutchyoo talkin' bout Willis? FESS!

lol

Oooohhh .. you mean stupid prices slapped on ancient pedals that stupid people pay ... cuz mojo ... 'n cuz reasons!

Ok, yea, I'll go along with that. The MSN Smack!

Claim of idiocy granted. Carry on. thumbs up
Exhale
Sorry.

I did not want to disturb anyone.
I'm talking about this idiocy.
Few years ago the price was around 800$, a disaster.
Now it's apocalypse.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Dallas-Arbiter-Fuzz-Face-Silicon-BC10 8c/273484579065?hash=item3facf380f9:g:y44AAOSwCMVbrhdt
PapaLazarou
*almost* as bad as $300 meatboxes Peter Grenader hihi
folpon
Surprised nobody's mentioned the possibility that this price is just being set by an algorithm that was behaving badly due to some random stimulus it wasn't designed to expect.
cretaceousear
There's the well known algo where two used book sellers compare each others prices. One seller has the book in very good condition so marks his price up against the other one. The second then sees his book is now too cheap, so increases his price. And so on..

A holding price sounds more likely !
FraMauro
adam wrote:

Good call, I suspect you're correct.
deepblackjoe@gmail.com
I just thought of this but maybe wildly overpriced goods on ebay has something to do with laying some kind of paper trail groundwork for an insurance scam where items are reported stolen or something and this is proof of their inflated value(?)
dave999z
Perhaps sometimes people click "buy" by accident and that's the strategy?

You see this kind of pricing on Amazon sometimes too.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1