MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Serge VCFB - Voltage Controlled Filter Bank
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Serge VCFB - Voltage Controlled Filter Bank
lasesentaysiete
Does anyone have any experience with this module? Does it exist in real life?

luketeaford
I have seen people refer to VCFB, but I always assumed it was the variable bandwidth filter. Is it the same design as the filter bank?
lasesentaysiete
luketeaford wrote:
Is it the same design as the filter bank?

The Res EQ? It does not appear to be. The VCFB described in the Serge catalogue excerpt above is a voltage controlled parametric EQ.
luketeaford
No, it's definitely not the same as the ResEQ. I think it might be the same thing as the Variable Bandwidth Filter on the Animate panel for example:

Looks like maybe the 5 outputs on this version include all the ones from the earlier catalog except grouping the variable width into a single output.[/img]
Isaiah
Looks like three multi-mode VCFs in series.

Signal goes into VCF1.
Low and Band A outputs are direct from VCF1.
HP output of VCF1 goes into VCF2.
LP output of VCF2 is the Band 1 output.
BP output of VCF2 is the Band B output.
HP output of VCF2 goes into VCF3.
LP output of VCF3 is the Band 2 output.
BP output of VCF3 is the Band C output.
HP output of VCF3 is the High output.
cygmu
luketeaford wrote:
No, it's definitely not the same as the ResEQ. I think it might be the same thing as the Variable Bandwidth Filter on the Animate panel for example:

Looks like maybe the 5 outputs on this version include all the ones from the earlier catalog except grouping the variable width into a single output.[/img]

I believe it's a slightly different though clearly related thing.

The variable bandwidth filter is abbreviated as VCF2 (sometimes VCFZ but I think that is a mistranscription from the catalogue's dot matrix typeface) and is essentially two filters in series, while the VCFB has three.
luketeaford
cygmu wrote:
The variable bandwidth filter is abbreviated as VCF2 (sometimes VCFZ but I think that is a mistranscription from the catalogue's dot matrix typeface) and is essentially two filters in series, while the VCFB has three.

Interesting -- does anyone have access to either of these designs? Really curious to know how it sounds. I believe Thighpaulsandra's admitted loving them.
the bad producer
The variable bandwidth filter is IMO the best Serge VCF, having used 4 together I can say that I imagine this filterbank is a possibly an iteration of that circuit, there was a photo in an earlier thread of a dual VCF2 which I think gave some clues:

tojpeters
I think Isaiah has it right
You could make this with three ‘73 VCF pcbs from CGS maybe
tojpeters
Anyone care to speculate what the knob labeled OCT might be?
syncretism
the bad producer wrote:
The variable bandwidth filter is IMO the best Serge VCF

It’s a terrific filter for certain applications, and complements the variable slope and variable (extended) q filters really nicely. It’s frustratingly hard to get a hold of if you’re neither rich nor DIY-inclined, and is one of the main reasons I’ve held onto my Animate.
the bad producer
tojpeters wrote:
I think Isaiah has it right
You could make this with three ‘73 VCF pcbs from CGS maybe

Yes that makes more sense! Oct is probably octave, a master freq pot on the 6v rail?
woodster
[quote="syncretism"]
the bad producer wrote:
The variable bandwidth filter is IMO the best Serge VCF

It’s a terrific filter for certain applications, and complements the variable slope and variable (extended) q filters really nicely. It’s frustratingly hard to get a hold of if you’re neither rich nor DIY-inclined, and is one of the main reasons I’ve held onto my Animate.[/quote

I'm DIY Inclined and would love to build lots of Variable Bandwidth Filters, does anybody have any further details on how to achieve this dream, any schematics anywhere ?
From the description it seems similar to the VCF section of the OSCar, but without Resonance.
tojpeters
Why don’t you produce this Charlie?
Isaiah
tojpeters
Looks good, but it’s worth remembering that with individual Resonance controls per VCF,
the resonant peaks will be cascaded, which might not give the behaviour or response that you’d expect/want.
the bad producer
Looks great Jon, might be good to have switches to turn off resonance for authenticity - as Isaiah suggests it might be weird with lots of resonance peaks - or amazing! hihi

Obviously I'll have to make myself a 6" one like the OG one to try this all out!
tojpeters
I wonder if no resonance control would be the same as the knob turned all the way down
That six inch panel sure has a lot of empty space
Could do push pull knobs for res
Pull to activate
the bad producer
tojpeters wrote:
That six inch panel sure has a lot of empty space

Wonderful, love a bit of space!

How about this as a beginning?

It made more sense to me for LOW to be low!
tojpeters
That looks great
If you do it use both halves of the op amp buffer/gain boost so the signal isn’t inverted
tojpeters
You could replace f1 Q switch with the high res switch and use the space for the octave knob
That would need three CGS 04 mixers
Already need three for the cv mixing
Q off switch DPDT
Down it selects the Q pot
Up a voltage divider for a static position
Probably the same as the knob all the way down but maybe up a little
lasesentaysiete
YES!

the bad producer wrote:

jersupereq
Really want to build this SlayerBadger!
the bad producer
I think I'll have to build it to try it all out, though as I like a bit of room I'll probably go with one of these (most likely the one on the right), which would give me a bit more space to add/take away and try out mods - that 3" module would be some thing to build!

jersupereq
If some build documentation gets produced I'd happily purchase one of the right panels to build one in!
rampy
This looks awesome!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2