MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

disting mk4 firmware v4.8 - please beta test
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author disting mk4 firmware v4.8 - please beta test
os
Edit - v4.8 is now released.

-----------------------------

In firmware v4.8 I've done a major revamp of the underlying SD card code. This brings many benefits, but it does also of course risk introducing bugs. I would very much appreciate it if anyone experienced with using the SD card algorithms of the disting could beta test for me.

Anything that uses the SD card is affected by this, so that means:
- WAV playback
- wavetable VCO
- WAV record
- MIDI playback
- Scala files (Programmable Quantizer and MIDI/CV)
- favourites

Other things to note in this version
- all WAV playback algorithms use folders for sample organisation, like the existing multisample algorithm.
- playlists are mostly no longer required, but still supported for setting advanced options.
- algorithm-specific playlists no longer apply. All WAV playlists are called playlist.txt (but are optional)
- wavetable VCO still requires 'playlist-wavetable.txt'
- MIDI algorithms still require playlists.

The first beta is attached here.
wickfut
So I just create some folders, drop in the samples and not have to do anything else?

What are the sample amount limits per folder?
os
Correct.

100 samples per folder.

Format requirements still apply i.e. 16 bit, mono or stereo.
wickfut
thank you! I've been waiting for the sample limits to be removed.
REVIVER
So if I still want to maintain a playlist.txt file to have the trigger out option enabled across all of the sample playback algo's, I would just keep the rest of the playlist.txt file blank without any sample file names at the top level or would I still need the appropriate playlist.txt file for each algo?
os
No, if you use the playlist at all, that's where it expects to find the samples.

But I can see the convenience of what you're suggesting. I'll make a note.
smallfestivalballs
all working well so far,

i made the earlier mistake of throwing my reversed files from a previous firmware into the samples folder and got a strange surprise noise when the playback attempted to play those file After going back and deleting them all is well.

Folder selection parameter is nice, record files getting their own folder.

this is a much welcome addition. thanks os!
bobbcorr
The demo you did of Recording Directly to the Card the Replying the Just-Recoded Audio (see https://www.matrixsynth.com/2018/09/disting-mk4-audio-record-direct-to .html) was really compelling - do you think it would be possible to do overdubs, a la the Mannequins W/ ?
os
I'll certainly be looking into it.
bobbcorr
os wrote:
I'll certainly be looking into it.

Thank you! I'll log my other requests in the proper thread.
ferrihydrite
everything works for me, but i'm a bit confused about the mechanics of wavetables... i couldn't get them working within a folder with a playlist within said folder, but it works fine in the root folder with the playlist.
os
Do your wavetables work on firmware v4.7? If they do, they should still work now.

If you haven't got them working on 4.7, please do, as I'm mainly interested in things that have changed between versions right now.
REVIVER
Wavetables work as expected for me in both 4.7 and 4.8 beta.

I'm using the compiled Adventure Kid waveforms that someone had posted a while back. Placed in the root folder along with the playlist.
chuckleone
bobbcorr wrote:
The demo you did of Recording Directly to the Card the Replying the Just-Recoded Audio (see https://www.matrixsynth.com/2018/09/disting-mk4-audio-record-direct-to .html) was really compelling - do you think it would be possible to do overdubs, a la the Mannequins W/ ?

I agree - this would be a really nice feature.

One thing I noticed is that most of the audio playback algorithms seem to detect any folders that have .WAV files within them, including wavetables, making it a little more time consuming to flip from record to playback mode. Would it be possible to have a parameter for each audio playback algo that sets the default playback folder - like the way the Multisample algorithm works? This would also make it easier to create audio playback patches that use specific folders for their sound source as opposed to files.
ferrihydrite
os wrote:
Do your wavetables work on firmware v4.7? If they do, they should still work now.

If you haven't got them working on 4.7, please do, as I'm mainly interested in things that have changed between versions right now.

they worked in 4.7, the only difference is that it says "No wavetables" when i have the wavetables in their own folder.
os
So you have it working in 4.7, you don't change the SD card at all, you update to 4.8, and then it doesn't work?
ferrihydrite
no, the wavetables work in both, but only if i keep the same folderless file structure for the wavetables that worked in 4.7. i'll double-check when i get home from work tonight to see if i just copied them wrong or something.
nuc
A had a quick try and everything works quite smoothly.

It's such a liberating way to handle the samples.

Thanks for keep adding so awesome features!
smallfestivalballs
I have just run into an issue where wavetable samples outside of a folder don't seem to respond to the Y input modulation
os
4.8 beta 2 is attached. Changes from beta 1 are very specifically about audio streaming. Please test that there are no extra glitches or dropouts compared to beta 1.

REVIVER wrote:
So if I still want to maintain a playlist.txt file to have the trigger out option enabled across all of the sample playback algo's, I would just keep the rest of the playlist.txt file blank without any sample file names at the top level or would I still need the appropriate playlist.txt file for each algo?

I just realised that's actually how it works anyway smile So yes, you can have a playlist.txt that sets global options but contains no sample files, in which case it will read the options and then scan the directory for samples.
theotteryears
Is there a minimum length of audio sample I have to use? I have some very short glitch type sounds I want to trigger except they aren't recognised when loaded onto the SD card...
ferrihydrite
unrelated to file structure, i'm, still getting clicking in I8 mode when one sample begins in the opposite channel, you can see this in the bottom channel of the recording...
os
@theotteryears There's no minimum length, though of course there might be a bug in the code. Can you post some samples?

@ferrihydrite I'm doing some more work on dual playback modes today.
os
Here's 4.8 beta 3. Dual playback modes should now behave better.
ferrihydrite
no click in I8 anymore! so pumped.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4