MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

WMD Metron sequencer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next [all]
Author WMD Metron sequencer
dbeats
I‘ve been desperately waiting for this one for so long now that I had to copy the new mg image here. (EDIT: text also added)

Advanced Trigger and Gate Sequencer

WMD is proud to announce Metron, their most recent addition to their expansive line of eurorack modules. A trigger and gate sequencer at heart, Metron is posed to be the most advanced, live improv and performance friendly gate sequencer on the market.

Our most ambitious project yet, Metron is slated for release late 2018.

Price: $TBA

Metron is a 16 channel trigger and gate sequencer with loads of intuitive functionality, expansion capabilities, and the tools you need to create longer sequences with tons of variation at your fingertips.

Feature list -

16 Channels of trigger and gate signals
View 4 channels at a time and easily switch views
Single track view lets you zoom in on a single track and see 64 steps at a time
Up to 256 step pattern length
Different pattern lengths per channel
Five instantly recallable and chainable variations
View and edit variations that are not playing for easy cue and non stop performance play
Save patterns to SD memory for easy recall on power cycle
No-stop loading from memory
Easy view memory previews lets yous see a pattern before loading from memory.
SD allows for easy update as well as easy back up / file transfer from unit to unit
FX / Fills for instant / momentary variation
2 assignable inputs for external CV control
Tap in patterns with quantized recording with the buttons or external source
Quick copy / paste / clear functions
Internal clock with Swing
dedicated reset output
Expendable for use with up to 4 units displaying a total of 64 steps at once!
MIDI Preset mode lets you send MIDI messages to other modules on the Doepfer CV bus. (for use with WMD SSM, Malekko Voltage
Block, and more)
Random Pattern Generation
Probability per step and group proability functions
Burst per step for ratchet / roll sounds
Custom Fill Patterns for instant fills
Trigger Mutes
Beat repeat / step looping
Manual gates
Fully skiffable at 20mm deep!
So much more!
Metron is 36 HP and 20 mm deep

More items to be added as soon as possible.

https://wmdevices.com/products/metron
Dogma
Ive been waitng for this for a looooong time.....I cant find any pricing???
geremyf
I miss the blue...but I'm sure red it better and the blue would be blinding!
Zymos
Got to check this out at Knobcon, it's just as cool as you'd expect. I <think> he said $599.
geremyf
So the link doesn't work from the first post. I'm very curious to see the user manual!
neonmercury1
got to play with this in portland a year and a half ago and was drooling over it then. really excited for this and it seems like the folks at wmd have really put it though the paces testing so it should be solid once it drops. Rockin' Banana!
Zymos
One thing that I thought was absolute genius: the way the variation chaining works. If you want 3 repeats of A, 2 of B and one of C, you tap the A button 3 times, the B twice and C once.
Hovercraft
Nasty Nachos (Alex) from WMD played a killer set at Knobcon with two Metrons in his 12U case doing all the sequencing. That pretty much sold me on the Metron, but he gave me a demo on the show floor, and I think the Metron is genius. It has everything you could want in a trigger/gate sequencer, and you can see the time and care that went into development. Alex mentioned $649 and they’re aiming to release it by the end of the year. I think it’s a next level module that looks super playable and capable of full blown arrangements on a medium to large system. You can even chain two together.
dooj88
holy shit, i'm floored. this module looks essential for anyone interested in creating rhythm based patches. the amount of playability and interactivity looks truly inspiring.

> No-stop loading from memory

we've all seen the module in alex' case for over a year, but you know when they add stuff like this it's been put through its paces for performance. it was created, played, meditated on, fine tuned and mastered, then released into the wild.

bravo WMD.
Zymos
Anyone else look at this and start thinking "now let's see you come out with a melodic sequencer next!!" ?
mdoudoroff
Zymos wrote:
Anyone else look at this and start thinking "now let's see you come out with a melodic sequencer next!!" ?

From the WMD point of view, perhaps they already did: Arpitecht?
Zymos
Think bigger!
VanEck
checked this out in detail at knobcon. it is pretty great, but there was one detail that made it a bit of deal breaker for me personally... the inability to have the tracks go at different clock divisions. currently both of my favorite sequencers have this ability, and i use it religiously (stillson hammer mkii and erica drum computer). aside from that, it seems brilliant and very performance oriented. one feature that did blow my mind is the ability to daisy chain 2 together, and then zoom in and have all 128 steps per single track available in front of you. i could definitely see having a percussion live rig with 2 of these at the heart of it for performing. really hope they can figure out how to add clock division per track at some point though.
Cortega
hmpf no different clock divisions....thats a Deal Breaker for me too, beside this it seems the perfect TriggerGate Seq.
Hovercraft
Clock division/multiplication is great on gate+note cv sequencers, but doesn't seem like a thing on xox gate/trigger sequencers. It could probably be added in a firmware update, but I'm guessing the Metron has a lot of parameters that get complicated quick when you throw in clock divisions. Would be nice to hear WMD's thinking on this.

Alex was driving a couple Arpitechts and a Voltage Block with the Metron for his set. With the VB, you can put in clock divisions for melodic lines. Are they as necessary for percussion triggers? Having 256 steps, ratcheting/bursts, and the ability to chain patterns seems like it takes care of some of the functions of a clock divider.

I'm pretty impressed with how Datach'i used a Circadian Rhythms as a master sequencer on his System album, and CR is stone age compared to Metron.
Carrousel
Oooooh, this is the first module i've seen that could tempt me to give up waiting for a Cirklon D-mux.

Looks like a brilliantly playable UI.

+1 on it being a bit odd to not have clock mult / div, but looks like it has logic functions and possibly triplets? That could give plenty of interest.
NastyNachos
Hovercraft wrote:
Clock division/multiplication is great on gate+note cv sequencers, but doesn't seem like a thing on xox gate/trigger sequencers. It could probably be added in a firmware update, but I'm guessing the Metron has a lot of parameters that get complicated quick when you throw in clock divisions. Would be nice to hear WMD's thinking on this.

Alex was driving a couple Arpitechts and a Voltage Block with the Metron for his set. With the VB, you can put in clock divisions for melodic lines. Are they as necessary for percussion triggers? Having 256 steps, ratcheting/bursts, and the ability to chain patterns seems like it takes care of some of the functions of a clock divider.

I'm pretty impressed with how Datach'i used a Circadian Rhythms as a master sequencer on his System album, and CR is stone age compared to Metron.

Hey y'all, Alex from WMD here.

Hovercraft is correct. Different clock divisions per track was something we considered heavily and made a conscious decision against. We tried it. Seeing cursors moving at different speeds was hella confusing and just way to much to pay attention to and make any sense of. We decided to make up for it with some other badass features that essentially get you to the same place.

Everything is always on the same grid, and each track can be a different length. With a max track pattern length of 256 steps, the granularity is there to treat it like you are using different clock divisions while programming your pattern.

We also have a quick "expand/contract" function that can be used to achieve something similar. This can be applied per track or to an entire variation. Basically, you hold DUPL and tap NUDGE to "expand" or hold DUPL and tap CLEAR for a "contract". "Expand" destructively expands the pattern out by a factor of two, essentially taking your pattern and dividing the clock by two, making it half time. "Contract" does the exact opposite - condenses the pattern by two, shortening it, and essentially, multiplying the clock of the pattern by two. Again, this can happen per track or by the variation as a whole. This way you can program something on the 16 step matrix, and then contract or expand to simulate dividing the incoming clock.

Expand can divide all the way out until the track or the longest pattern in the track hits 256 steps as well as beyond as in you can start to erase data by expanding out further than 256 steps.

Contract can multiply all the way up until all of the data sits on one step. You may expand from this but it gets messy once you compress all that data into such a small space as all micro timing info (burst, gate length, etc.) gets squashed to 48 ppqn. Cool for creating crazy glitches and ending a set with destruction.

We're in the middle of making the manual and another fun thing that will give you a bit more incite into the sequencer... as you can probably tell, I have my work ahead of me there wink

Party on. It's peanut butter jelly time!
starthief
NastyNachos wrote:
We also have a quick "expand/contract" function that can be used to achieve something similar. This can be applied per track or to an entire variation. Basically, you hold DUPL and tap NUDGE to "expand" or hold DUPL and tap CLEAR for a "contract". "Expand" destructively expands the pattern out by a factor of two, essentially taking your pattern and dividing the clock by two, making it half time. "Contract" does the exact opposite - condenses the pattern by two, shortening it, and essentially, multiplying the clock of the pattern by two.

I've been wishing my DAW could do this, and here you've done it in a Eurorack sequencer... nice. thumbs up
Hi5
Looks like I may have found the seq to drive my future 'drum machine' case
VanEck
NastyNachos wrote:

We also have a quick "expand/contract" function that can be used to achieve something similar. This can be applied per track or to an entire variation. Basically, you hold DUPL and tap NUDGE to "expand" or hold DUPL and tap CLEAR for a "contract". "Expand" destructively expands the pattern out by a factor of two, essentially taking your pattern and dividing the clock by two, making it half time. "Contract" does the exact opposite - condenses the pattern by two, shortening it, and essentially, multiplying the clock of the pattern by two. Again, this can happen per track or by the variation as a whole. This way you can program something on the 16 step matrix, and then contract or expand to simulate dividing the incoming clock.

Expand can divide all the way out until the track or the longest pattern in the track hits 256 steps as well as beyond as in you can start to erase data by expanding out further than 256 steps.

Contract can multiply all the way up until all of the data sits on one step. You may expand from this but it gets messy once you compress all that data into such a small space as all micro timing info (burst, gate length, etc.) gets squashed to 48 ppqn. Cool for creating crazy glitches and ending a set with destruction.

ooooh, right on... i remember you mentioning this at knobcon but i didn't quite wrap my head around the possibilities there. i thought you were just saying that i could use a track as a clock divider by spreading out the pattern. i was thinking to myself, well that's pretty obvious, and wasn't sure you understood what i meant by having tracks go at different divisions.

seeing this all explained here in text makes much more sense, and is pretty damn brilliant really, being able to spread out among 256 steps, or crunching down into microsteps. top notch, very interesting work around. this definitely has my full attention again. w00t
NastyNachos
VanEck wrote:
NastyNachos wrote:

ooooh, right on... i remember you mentioning this at knobcon but i didn't quite wrap my head around the possibilities there. i thought you were just saying that i could use a track as a clock divider by spreading out the pattern. i was thinking to myself, well that's pretty obvious, and wasn't sure you understood what i meant by having tracks go at different divisions.

seeing this all explained here in text makes much more sense, and is pretty damn brilliant really, being able to spread out among 256 steps, or crunching down into microsteps. top notch, very interesting work around. this definitely has my full attention again. w00t

Heck yeah!

I can't wait to share a manual and user guide with you all.

To confirm, at Knobcon we announced our targets and they are:
Name: Metron
Price: $650
Release date: December

These are all targets and may change, but we feel they are realistic.
Zymos
Guess who can probably find 36 HP of space in his drum cases? This guy!
coolshirtdotjpg
This looks ideal for pairing with my Bitbox, although, I think the lack of clock dividers might have me sticking with my varigate 8+, for the moment. I won't dismiss it though, will have to see some demos.
Jaypee
Is there a global swing or individual swing by track?
NastyNachos
Jaypee wrote:
Is there a global swing or individual swing by track?

There is global swing for the internal clock.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next [all]
Page 1 of 11