MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Getting back into yellow
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix  
Author Getting back into yellow
joey
Hey everyone!

It's been a while, but I can't take it anymore. I need Metasonix back in my life. Being out of the game for a while has left me a bit unaware of what's going on.

Out of all the yellow I had, I miss the S1000, TM7, and R53 the most.

Are any of the new RKs or pedals close to those circuits?

The S2000 seems pretty different from the S1000, is it using thyratrons?

I see there is a pulser RK, how would you say it compares to the R53 or TM1? is there one you would consider best of the three? I had a TM1 and R53 as well but cant remember which I liked more tbh

Any input is appreciated, thanks smile
Yes Powder
joey wrote:
Out of all the yellow I had, I miss the S1000, TM7, and R53 the most.
Are any of the new RKs or pedals close to those circuits?

The RK3 is basically the same circuit as the R53, although it doesn't have the dedicated Pulser In. I think at one point Eric said he considered the Pulser In to be kind of useless anyways
As for the others, not really. There isn't a thyratron oscillator in the RK series (yet), nor is there a filter like the S1000/R52 or anything that uses BN6s like the TM7.
You might want to check out the RK2 and RK6, though. The RK2 is a VCA with a feedback control and inverse out that might be able to get you close to the nastiness of the TM7, and the RK6 is a new lowpass filter that's nothing like any of Eric's previous designs.

Quote:
The S2000 seems pretty different from the S1000, is it using thyratrons?

Nope, no thyratrons. It's more like two high-gain R54s being run into each other. It'll give you some nasty sub-bassy sounds if you want them, but also cleans up more easily.
ritchiedrums
I honestly think you would be happy starting now with one of each of the
RK modules

maybe 2 RK4 modules Metasonix!
EPTC
Welcome back to Sonixtown!

RK3 is a more rattling R53, so I'd suggest that.

RK2 is amazingly fun. This video should convince you on it.

joey
cool, thanks for all the pointers guys!

now another question -

I currently have three cases -

two enclave/elite with make noise power

and one custom case with intellijel power

all have meanwell switching supplies

will these power at least one RK?

I'm due for a new case anyway so I've been thinking of a doepfer anyway,

but I'd definitely like to pick up an RK first before the case
Yes Powder
Can't say for sure since I only use Doepfer power, but the RK5 and RK6 are supposed to be able to work even with a lot of supplies that can't power other RKs.
snakejaw
http://www.metasonix.com/index.php/support

"Intellijel currently has a 30-watt and an 80-watt supply. The 80-watt unit should be able to handle at least three R/RK modules. Please don't try the 30-watt model."

https://intellijel.com/shop/cases/104hp-84hp-7u-performance-case/

"Available with either the high spec TPS80W (TPS80W MAX in the 104 hp version) power supply capable of powering up to 20 (MAX: 28) modules with +12 V output at 3000 mA, -12 V output at 3000 mA and +5 V output at 1500 mA..."

The official power requirements for all Metasonix modules are listed in their respective manuals. When calculating power requirements, be sure to use the values required at start up. Some Metasonix module require more power at start up. For example, the R-56 requires 800~850 mA when first powered up and then 300mA after it's warmed up. So, you'd need to reserve +850 mA for the R-56.
gringostar
Couple of questions regarding power needed.

First of all, my understanding is that with a switching power supply you need to budget for the max power requirements while a liner power supply you don't. (This is why the old doepfer PSU2 could run 5 modules). I'm a bit fuzzy on how it works but the new PSU3 supply is technically a switching supply however the +12v and -12v act like a liner supply due to how it's put together and why it's conservatively rated so you can treat it as such.

Second, and this is what I'm really not clear on, is the warm up power requirement just for the +12v rail or is it for both the +12v and -12v rails?
EPTC
You mention the power supplies but not the available mA in each case. What other modules are included for the accumulated draw?

In terms of estimating, it's always best to allocate more than needed. I'd guess about 400-500 mA for each RK module (which would cover the startup needed for the tubes) except for around 200 mA each for the newer RK5 and RK6.
Yes Powder
gringostar wrote:
Second, and this is what I'm really not clear on, is the warm up power requirement just for the +12v rail or is it for both the +12v and -12v rails?

Both for the R-series (except for the R55 which takes it from the +5v) and just +12 for the RK series
gringostar
Yes Powder wrote:
gringostar wrote:

Both for the R-series (except for the R55 which takes it from the +5v) and just +12 for the RK series

So the R-56 is from both the +12 and -12 then?
Yes Powder
gringostar wrote:
the R-56 is from both the +12 and -12 then?

Correct.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix  
Page 1 of 1