MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

delay AND reverb pedal
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author delay AND reverb pedal
kragg
Hello
I will be doing some gigs soon, so i will need some compact effects to carry away, as a replacement for racks and vintage, fragile stuff (like tape echoes).

I am looking for something which would do both reverb and delay, and which would be versatile enough to fit different scenarios (like capable of both "ambience/room"reverbs "and lush halls", "clean digital long delays" and "tape/BBD delays").

My issue si that i'm both used to the quality of rack effects (lexicon revervs, for instance), and not planning to spend $$$ on some pedals which won't be the core of my studio.
I would also enjoy an expression pedal input, and either tap tempo and/or Midi.
I know that's asking a lot cool

- I have a Line6 M5 which imho does the job quite well, but can do only one FX at once. As might buy another one (one for delay, one for reverb), as it is very cheap, not crappy sounding, stereo, midi, and with a nice expression input. But if anyone has something better to recommend, i'm open to suggestions smile

- I had a Zoom CDR, and wasn't convinced at all (the reverb sounded cheap, the delays didn't go into self-oscillation, and weren't made to be tweaked live).

- I played once with the Boss RE20, and enjoyed it, but i think it obviously might be better for vintage sound (tape delay & spring reverb), and not polyvalent enough ? It features both exp pedal and tap tempo and midi, though. It's getting a bit old now, but is there any Wiggler still enjoying it for daily reverb/delay duties ?

- I like the reverb and delay on my Elektron A4... but it's already used on my main bus smile

- Strymon seems wonderful, as well as Empress, but a bit out my price range... Still, i'm looking for some input about the quality/price ratio (i played briefly with a Big Sky and really liked the reverbs). On the web, i only see Empress reverbs used on guitar, and i can't really hear how good they sound. I often get disappointed with guitar reverbs when compared to my racks.

- The TC HoF is often praised... by guitarists looking for "conservative" sounds. So, is the HoF versatile enough for reverb only ? The pedal features very few controls.

- I have never played with one of those Boss/Roland desktop boxes (DD500 i guess, or something like that, maybe "giga delay" ?) : is it really good (like : better than the TC HoF and the Zoom) ?

- I am also considering a Digitech Polara, which uses some Lexicon algorithms which i might enjoy. But while Lexicon racks often allows deep tweaking, the Polara only features a couple knobs... and is mono.

Thank you in advance for any input !
Xmit
what about the new Boss RV500 ? that seems to offer a lot for the £££

looks like you can have a separate delay & reverb engines simulaneously.
zolar_czakl
That single knob is a non-starter for me, but folks sure do like that Eventide H9.
kragg
Yes, the H9 is too knobless for me needs Mr. Green
I will give the RV500 a look... and an ear.
Thank you for the input.
Infinity Curve
Maybe have a look at the EQD Avalanche Run?
kragg
Infinity Curve wrote:
Maybe have a look at the EQD Avalanche Run?

It's indeed one of the "boutique" pedals which i had bookmarked smile
(Still a bit pricey, imho, for something which i don't know if it sounds that good, compared to bigger companies with more affordable prices).
megamaeng
Have you looked into the EQD dispatch master? Doesn't quite cover everything you listed but sounds great and can be found fairly cheap on the used market. RV-3 is another classic and is even cheaper.
kragg
Thank you for the tip.
The EQD seems a bit too limited to my tastes (i like to have a tone knob on the echo, for instance, and at least several parameters to tweak on the reverb).
But the Boss might be interestting, i didn't know it.
GovernorSilver
zolar_czakl wrote:
That single knob is a non-starter for me, but folks sure do like that Eventide H9.

When I first heard of the H9, I thought the single knob idea was silly too, as they were also making a couple of 10-knob pedals (Timefactor, Modfactor, etc.).

I later got an H9 Max, with the idea that it would be controlled by MIDI sequencer - the sequencer would send the program changes, send MIDI CC to automate FX parameters, etc. The H9 MIDI implementation is excellent. Ironically, I ended up using it a lot more on electric violin and guitar than synth. The X,Y, and Z buttons let me access the 3 main parameters for the current preset, and I also learned Expert Mode for access all 10 parameters without the iPad. For any Elektron user, these button combos are a piece of cake in comparison.

That all said, the H9 Max has reverbs and delays that can sound massive, yet offer tons of versatility. Delays can be gritty or clinically clean. H9 Max also includes all the FX of the ModFactor and PitchFactor, plus some effects algorithms exclusive to H9.

There's also the Eventide Space pedal if you just want the reverb algorithms, 3 footswitches, and 10 knobs, and don't care for the other FX in the H9. Some of the reverb algorithms include delay, such as ModEchoVerb.
waylon
This is my "go to" if I need delay and reverb
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TE2--boss-te-2-tera-echo-pedal
But if You want something less expensive, You can try with this mooer
https://musicsquare.co.uk/147647_Mooer-MDL3-Echolizer-Digital-Delay-Gu itar-Effects-Pedal.html
kragg
waylon wrote:
https://musicsquare.co.uk/147647_Mooer-MDL3-Echolizer-Digital-Delay-Gu itar-Effects-Pedal.html

Errh, thank you but... this is delay only, right ? And the Mooer has very few tweakings zombie Sound-wise, do you think it can be on par with Lexicons ?
smetak
kragg wrote:
waylon wrote:

Errh, thank you but... this is delay only, right ? And the Mooer has very few tweakings zombie Sound-wise, do you think it can be on par with Lexicons ?

In regard to Mooer, I guess this is what you want:

http://www.mooeraudio.com/?product/201612071629.html
kragg
Ah, yes, really ? Thank you for the suggestion.
I had seen it a while ago, but i thought it might be cheap, vanilla software code put into a box... I will investigate smile
Did you use it yourself ? What were your impressions ?
smetak
kragg wrote:
Ah, yes, really ? Thank you for the suggestion.
I had seen it a while ago, but i thought it might be cheap, vanilla software code put into a box... I will investigate smile
Did you use it yourself ? What were your impressions ?

Well, its no Strymon for sure, but its like $60 or $70 at most - quite cheap.

I have one in a miniboard, full of mini pedals - its decent, works ok.

And for the price, I don't know anything cheaper that will do both delay and reverb.
kragg
Ok, thank you. I may try one smile
Did anyone try the Empress Reverb ? Is it on par with a Strymon ?
Summa
kragg wrote:

I've tried both the Reverb and the Echosystem and they're both great pedals. Not cheap though..
nrg242
not sure what your price range is but the Mooer Ocean Machine sounded pretty good to me, and has more knobs. its no strymon or empress but the demos seem solid.

http://www.mooeraudio.com/?product/201701227426.html
kragg
Yes, the Mooer Ocean Machine...
Feature-wise, it seems good... The trouble is that i don't know anybody who already played one, i never saw it in a shop, and... how ugly it is !
I will consider it, if i can find a nice, comprehensive and hi-fi demo on the web (with synths).
Else, for 100$ more, i might go for a used Strymon or Eventide (which quality is proven, and loved by many users).
Did any wigglers try it already ?
starthief
Specular Tempus, maybe? Richard Devine posted it on his IG today, which got me curious, and the YouTube demos I've seen have pushed it to the top of my want list. I'm not keen on how they put jacks on front, but I'll cope.
kragg
Thank you, i will give it a look !
Xmit
^
cheers for the heads-up on the specular tempus - didn't even know it existed & now I'm severely interested.

greeat video here - if you want the gravy just jump to about 11' 45" :

kragg
It sounds good, indeed. Soft, in a good way, imho. Thank you for the link.
I'm not too keen on the navigation, but i think once you're used to it must be fine. The price is ok, i may be considering it.
holy shit. that pedal... eek!

never heard of it until now.
gozonoe
Has anyone played with the specular tempus in person. Looks easy enough to navigate. I have the timefactor at the moment, great delay pedal but I am sometimes curious if its overkill.
grep
Summa wrote:
kragg wrote:

I've tried both the Reverb and the Echosystem and they're both great pedals. Not cheap though..

I have both and they are wonderful. I use them in a pretty traditional way but you can get very deep into these, especially the Echosystem.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2