Dannysound EN129 Thru-Zero Oscillator

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Dannysound EN129 Thru-Zero Oscillator

Post by nectarios » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:54 am

This VCO sounds the bomb to my ears...and it adds to my "tinfoil hat" opinion that non SMD VCOs sound special...as in "better".

[video][/video]
Available as a kit too :yay:

P.S. I used the search but did not find another thread on this, so apologies if there is one.

synkrotron
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synkrotron » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:00 am

Funny that... Just been watching the same vid...

Looked it up and it is double the price of the A-110-4 mentioned in that other topic.

So, my question is, for when I next start to expand my system is the EN129 worth the extra dosh?

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:07 am

synkrotron wrote:Funny that... Just been watching the same vid...

Looked it up and it is double the price of the A-110-4 mentioned in that other topic.

So, my question is, for when I next start to expand my system is the EN129 worth the extra dosh?
Its twice the A-110-4 money yes. And the A-110-4 sounds amazing. So I guess its down to adding a tri core TZFM VCO with the extra waveforms next to my A-110-4.

Its a good middle priced range and sits between the A-110-4 and the Rubicon 2 which costs twice the EN129 cash. Good to have options as its highly unlikely I would splash out on the Rubi 2...quite a lot of hp too that is.

Anyhow, the EN129 sounds fantastic to my ears.
To be honest it is a kit, so yeah not cheap but not too expensive as well, imo.

synkrotron
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synkrotron » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:41 am

nectarios wrote: Its twice the A-110-4 money yes. And the A-110-4 sounds amazing. So I guess its down to adding a tri core TZFM VCO with the extra waveforms next to my A-110-4.

Its a good middle priced range and sits between the A-110-4 and the Rubicon 2 which costs twice the EN129 cash. Good to have options as its highly unlikely I would splash out on the Rubi 2...quite a lot of hp too that is.

Thanks,

I knew you use the A-110-4 and I really appreciate your experience and feedback.

cheers

andy

Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jumbuktu » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:42 am

nectarios wrote:
synkrotron wrote:Funny that... Just been watching the same vid...

Its twice the A-110-4 money yes. And the A-110-4 sounds amazing. So I guess its down to adding a tri core TZFM VCO with the extra waveforms next to my A-110-4.

I have the kit, but haven't built it yet. However, it has multiple waveforms, and a pulse wave output with PWM. Not to mention the fine tune knob that the doepfer needs. I think it is well worth the modest outlay.

synkrotron
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synkrotron » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:44 am

Jumbuktu wrote: I have the kit, but haven't built it yet. However, it has multiple waveforms, and a pulse wave output with PWM. Not to mention the fine tune knob that the doepfer needs. I think it is well worth the modest outlay.

organon
Common Wiggler

Post by organon » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:14 am

nectarios wrote: To be honest it is a kit, so yeah not cheap but not too expensive as well, imo.
Inclding VAT, shipping, BP to Euro conversion it adds up to 280€. I think that's a bit excessive for a DIY kit that isn't even an original circuit design and doesn't seem to contain many expensive parts.

I might still get it at some point but it better be sounding real fucking good. 8-)

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:32 am

organon wrote:
nectarios wrote: To be honest it is a kit, so yeah not cheap but not too expensive as well, imo.
Inclding VAT, shipping, BP to Euro conversion it adds up to 280€. I think that's a bit excessive for a DIY kit that isn't even an original circuit design and doesn't seem to contain many expensive parts.

I might still get it at some point but it better be sounding real fucking good. 8-)
The Thonk price was GBP and not including tax...shows my Thonk n00bness...yes this VCO is not cheap at all. hmmm

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Re: Dannysound EN129 Thru-Zero Oscillator

Post by MindMachine » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:04 pm

nectarios wrote:This VCO sounds the bomb to my ears...and it adds to my "tinfoil hat" opinion that non SMD VCOs sound special...as in "better".
Let me help you there...

:tinfoil:
FS: A-140-2 Dual VC ADSR, Erica VCA 2, A/DA Final Phase, SP-555 Sampler and more - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=
WTB: Kurzweil Rumour (or trade for Mangler)

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:36 am

i hear in the demo Tones that remind me ALOTS to what i got out from Cynthias Zero Oscillator back then.
.....i think the first time i hear these tones elsewhere. interesting
lacks a sync input though. In my book thats quite a drawback
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
Basimilus Iteritas mkI: 180chf / Plaits OG: 150.- / WMD Geiger Counter: 180.- / Dotcom Q960: 700.- / Q119: 430 /
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 850.-, like new, quasi unused.

Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jumbuktu » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:51 pm

organon wrote:

Yes, I thought about it for a few weeks before ordering. I bought both VCO's in the end. Even though they are the most expensive kits I have ever bought the total cost in Australian dollars was reasonable for two quality VCO's... Just. We don't have to pay VAT here.

There are a couple of matched transistors but nothing really expensive. The panels and PCB's seem pretty good quality.

huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by huffnPuff » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:21 am

I love what I'm hearing so far. Anyone cares to share his experience?
:eek: :eek: :mad: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pugix » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:21 pm

Richard
http://www.pugix.com

"Everything in our world is actually always modulated by everything else." - Peter B

huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by huffnPuff » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:57 pm

Thanks!

huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by huffnPuff » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:52 am

I had someone build two of those for me, it's a wonderful sounding oscillator. It's got an inherent fat juicy vocal-like quality to its sound that you can milk further by e.g. TZFMing itself with itself full on... it remains super stable. Or cross modulating two EN129s and exploring the chaotic behavior on the edge of stability... you can't get a harsh sound out of it.

To my ears the EN129 sounds rounder and fuller than the oscillators in the Furthrrrr Generator, even before you start to modulate it. It has a much stronger fundament and rich harmonics with an emphasis on low-order harmonic content. Although it doesn't have sync input, it tends to lock on the modulating signal as if it has weak-ish sync built into it.

The EN129 and FG both FM like champs, except TZFM gives the former a lot more range. They work great together though, and between the two oscillators in the FG and the two EN129s I can patch sweet sounding 4 operator FM patches.

I think if it wasn't DIY and expensive people would be all over it. This is really top drawer stuff.

Mikeyg3k
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Mikeyg3k » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:20 am

Holy shit this oscillator sounds amazing from the very low register bass to the higher pitches, every wave form sounds great it’s a high quality module. And then.... it’s super easy to FM and that sounds even better, wow! I’m gonna try & get some audio samples but.... highly suggested!!!

jonbutler88
Common Wiggler

Post by jonbutler88 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:15 am

Does this VCO really do TZFM with no perceivable change to the fundamental pitch of the carrier? I had hoped this would be the case with the Rubicon 2, but there is a very noticeable (about a semitone) raise in the pitch of the carrier when sweeping the TZFM knob. From the (excellent) Divkid video on the EN129, there seems to be no perceivable change.

Can anyone who owns one confirm this is the case? It makes it a pretty attractive prospect to be able to modular the TZFM without worrying about going out of tune.

peripatitis

Post by peripatitis » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:15 am

Btw does this oscillator produce a clean sinewave? Because the sine from the video doesn't sound very clean to me but sometimes it is difficult to tell with the youtube sound.

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:55 am

Good thing bumping this thread, just ordered one.

Eurtrude
Common Wiggler

Post by Eurtrude » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:51 am

nectarios wrote:Good thing bumping this thread, just ordered one.
Did you order one as a kit or prebuilt from the manufacturer ?

Whish I knew how to solder properly...

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:55 am

Eurtrude wrote:

As a kit and hoping its not going to be too hard to build :mrgreen:

Eurtrude
Common Wiggler

Post by Eurtrude » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:27 am

nectarios wrote:
Eurtrude wrote:

As a kit and hoping its not going to be too hard to build :mrgreen:
Haha ok, crossed fingers then :)

!

Plumbstone
Common Wiggler

Post by Plumbstone » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:51 am

Yep, this was on my radar too. Just ordered a kit so also hoping it’s not too tricky.

happyham
Wiggling with Experience

Post by happyham » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:40 am

I finished building mine yesterday and have been at it for a few hours.
great sounding waveforms.
the tzfm works well, and can give a sharp metallic transient when controlled by a vca as in Divkids videos.
the pwm is all kinds of fat in the lfo and audio range. the pulse in general is super beefy.
the triangle is lush, the sine is also great, and it's pretty cool that you can customize the shape of it with a trimmer.
Divkid showed how you can do some cool waveshaping beyond what is possible with the pots by putting more than 5 volts into the pwm input with the sawtooth output. another similar trick which yields great results is by boosting a sine or a triangle wave with a fixed voltage using an exponential vca, when this boosted sine or triangle wave is put into the linear fm input you get some serious metallic fm that goes far beyond what you get if you only use a non-boosted waveform with the max linear pot setting.
a great companion to the Rubicon and the Instruo-Csl.

happyham
Wiggling with Experience

Post by happyham » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:43 am

And just like with the Rubicon, putting a sine into a wavefolder and then into the linear fm input gives you some great tones.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”