MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Books on MIDI
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author Books on MIDI
Hey_Steve86
I was just wondering if anyone knew of any good books about learning MIDI.

I recently picked up a Roland JV-1080 and a MOTU micro express. I would really like to get out of the MIDI dark ages very frustrating and really learn to use these tools to there fullest potential.

From my meager pokings about on the internet I have mainly come across the MIDI Manual 3rd Ed., but also read a bit about an older book, MIDI for Musicians. I'm not against an older book if it still has a relevant grounding in the basics of MIDI control and usage.

I am also not against online resources either, but I would really like at least one book, something I can just crack open while sitting on the couch.

As always thanks for any help!
rove74
I enjoyed midi for the technophobe when I read it almost 20 years ago. I don’t think of myself as a technophobe, but it presented midi in a straightforward way. Looks to be out of print, but probably copies floating about.

The thing about learning midi is that nothing has really changed since the 80s, so older books are still relevant.
Hey_Steve86
rove74 wrote:
The thing about learning midi is that nothing has really changed since the 80s, so older books are still relevant.

I figured this to be the case. I'll check out that book, thanks!
Panason
You should be able to get things done (play and sequence) without having to read a whole book. MIDI only gets slightly complicated if you want to do advanced stuff with it using NRPN or System Exclusive messages to edit or controls synths remotely ( from the computer)... However, most MIDI synths allow you to control the commonly used parameters using MIDI Control Change messages which consist of just a pair of numbers.

For most music making purposes it is simple one way communication with the control keyboard / pads or sequencer sending messages ( aka MIDI events like notes, velocity, metronome, tempo, modulation, pitch bend etc) to the synth.

You should be able to find a web page that explains it all in a few paragraphs. Once you familiarize yourself with the few different types of MIDI messages you're ready to play.
Hey_Steve86
I want better understand about the basics, but mainly I want to learn about System Exclusive messages, understand MIDI clock and sync better, and the best practice ways to organize a multi instrument MIDI setup.
Misk
Had to read this in college—boring as fuck but incredibly helpful and will answer any question you could ever have about MIDI. When I say boring, I mean boring. Roads' Microsound was riveting to me.

Hey_Steve86
It's ok if it's boring as long as it delivers the goods, lol.

That Microsound book looks fascinating, Ill have to try to get a copy!
Panason
I learned everything I needed on MIDI from Sound on Sound magazine articles... worth searching their site.
Hey_Steve86
Panason wrote:
I learned everything I needed on MIDI from Sound on Sound magazine articles... worth searching their site.

They are indeed a wonderful resource.
melodydad
There is also Midi Power! by Robert Guerin (Muska & Lipman 2002).

It is also dry as dust - running to 340 pages!
deepblackjoe@gmail.com
There is also the zine called do midi by lazy magnet
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1