MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

octatrack
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author octatrack
slumberjack
since i asked last week on portable taperecorders and all i got was like: avoid - i'm trying to wrap my head around another way.

my primary goal is to record short and little songs finished until pre-final mixdown at my weekend and holiday hideout in the mountains.
usually i take 3 or 6u 84hp with me and overdub.

as the octatrack is a long spotted piece of gear for my GAS i came up with following idea:

if i use 1 track as a click track to sync my modular to, i have 7 individual tracks left to record/sample what comes out of my modular, do some tweaking and arrangement all with the elektron to finish the song.
how long can the records samples be?
i'm sure anybody here's experienced enough to tell if that would be working.

cool
3pand
I can't remember the exact specs, but not longer than a minute or two I'm pretty sure.

Have you checked out the tape recorder function on the OP-1? Another option would be a digital recorder like a zoom or even a multitrack digital recorder.
tioJim
3pand wrote:
I can't remember the exact specs, but not longer than a minute or two I'm pretty sure.

@44100Hz 16 bit = 8min 7 sec circa
@48000Hz 24 bit = 5min 26 sec circa

from

https://www.elektronauts.com/t/ot-max-sampling-time/1743/2
3pand
thanks Jim! Sorry I meant per track, I should've been more clear. So it's 1 minute per track but of course you can allocate that time all to one track for the max of 8 minutes, or divide it up however you want between 1-8 tracks.

Depending on what kind of editing and arranging you want to do and to what degree, you might find it easier to work with OP-1's tape machine, or not. It's worth a look I'd say. They each have pros and cons for what you want to do and will both probably nudge your work in their own interesting directions.
slumberjack
tioJim wrote:
3pand wrote:

@44100Hz 16 bit = 8min 7 sec circa
@48000Hz 24 bit = 5min 26 sec circa

from

https://www.elektronauts.com/t/ot-max-sampling-time/1743/2

cheers. wow that's unbeliveable 85mb ram...so then i will use the su700 for a while cause it 64mb...sure zoom 8 would be great too or some older roland 8 track digirecorder. but first i will try out the su700.
so now i have to go on vacation asap.
xenosapien
you could, alternatively, instead of using the Octatrack as a "tape machine", just simply use it as what it is:

a very powerful sampler and ARRANGER

so why don´t you "just" sample the sounds for each section/loop of your song into the different tracks on the octatrack one-by-one, trim and adjust/effect them, and then use the arranger mode to turn it into a pre-production song sketch?

granted this means you´ll have to dig deep into the OT´s manual probably, but it would "solve" the sample time limitation... as soon as samples are saved on to the Octatracks Flashcard and used from there, it should free up the sample time again (since it won´t be in RAM any more).
matthewjuran
Why not a laptop?
slumberjack
matthewjuran wrote:
Why not a laptop?

because then i have to carry the laptop with me, spend money for an interface (that's free of hussle with ubuntu, maybe get bitwig for the best experience too) which i have to carry also and going to end up with unfinished songs after x edits.
slumberjack
btw. tascam dp-008ex looks neat!
tron23
Octatrack's RAM is 80 mb but it can also stream straight from the CF card on the "static" machines so you should have no issues running out of time.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1