MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

BR-909
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author BR-909
RickKleffel
Belaboring for the oblivious.... [image boosted from Synthtopia, first seen on Facebook]....that's not all folks!

Oh the humanity!
tron23
Rolinger is one hell of a company! Guinness ftw!
tioJim
bored now

behringer have ruined the excitement of vintage gear

sad face
numan7
tioJim wrote:
bored now

smile Well "bored" means "you're not starving - so lucky, lucky you!" (as my old man used to say).

Cheers
umma gumma
fuck everyone who is bagging on Behringer...at least he has the balls to build what ROLAND should have given us, a decade ago

they dropped the ball bigtime. their AIRA stuff is crap

give us real analogue gear

I used to laugh at Behringer gear. Now I can't wait for this, and the Oberheim

ULI FOR PRESIDENT!!
bimbom
It looked fine based on the vid from knobcon , lots of out etc.
I suspect a lot of the 808 , case , digital side , software etc will be shared with the 909 and other drum machines they make , maybe even 606 .

I’d possibly complain if I had a proper 909 that I’d spent far too much on and was concerned the price might dive.
I have a tr8 with an ‘accurate’ emulation of the 909 which they magically replaced by another ‘accurate’ 909 emulation via tr-09mand tr8s .
Couldn’t have been that accurate could it.

I’ve no problem with behringer . These products are likely to come out and actually work as described with no months of delays for a firmware to fix things , hopefully. Can’t say that about many other companies.
scrunday
umma gumma wrote:
fuck everyone who is bagging on Behringer...at least he has the balls to build what ROLAND should have given us, a decade ago

they dropped the ball bigtime. their AIRA stuff is crap

give us real analogue gear

I used to laugh at Behringer gear. Now I can't wait for this, and the Oberheim

ULI FOR PRESIDENT!!

Come on, the Aira stuff isn’t complete crap. Most of the issues with that gear boil down gimped sequencers, patch memory limitations, and garbage sound cards. Paired win external sequencers, most of the Aira gear sounds good and are serviceable digital alternatives to classic Roland analog gear.

Notwithstanding, I’m looking forward to Behringer’s TR clones, and never expect Roland to make something with a decent sequencer on it again.
stikygum
Behringer is smart. Make look alike drum machines and synths that sound really good, like the originals. Who cares if any of their stuff gets close to the sound of the originals, gets 1 to 1, or not, because they sound good on their own. Behringer is making great sounding products for those who can't afford the money gouging going on at eBay.

I'm sure if I owned a TR-808 or TR-909 I would try to scrutinize these Behringer versions as much as possible. Btw, even if any of the Behringer stuff doesn't sound 1 to 1, it still sounds good. So people that love the originals can keep loving them, but we must all admit the crazy prices that all these 'vintage' drum machines and synths were way waaaaay blown out of proportion, when people say it can't be replaced. Most people will care less and not even be able to hear these little things that we do.

I like companies who give people what they want and cool stuff they didn't know they wanted.
gentle_attack
scrunday wrote:
Come on, the Aira stuff isn’t complete crap. Most of the issues with that gear boil down gimped sequencers, patch memory limitations, and garbage sound cards. Paired win external sequencers, most of the Aira gear sounds good and are serviceable digital.

Some of them are better than others. Overall to me it feels like if you added up every single of the boutique/Aira synths together, you'd get a JP-8000. Ditto the drum machines added up = an R-8mk2. They've been rehashing the same concept "Virtual Analog" a thousand times over, using a dozen different names.

I feel like they promise the world with the "sound packs" and the System 1m/System 8... But then ALL THEY EVER DO is 808+909/Juno+Jupiter+SH101 and then abandon it and release another hardware featuring "-synonym for VA-" that again promises "tons of soundpacks"... Rinse, repeat.

The TR-8s is a BIG step in the right direction, that thing is cool. The System 1m seriously pisses me off. That COULD be the future. Modular interface with programmable sounds. Sadly it's essentially abandonware already.

If someone like Olivier Gillet hacked the system 1m with his algorithms. Fuck. That would truly next level "the new Nord Modular." I'm not holding my breath but that would be a beautiful thing.
beedogs
bimbom wrote:

I’d possibly complain if I had a proper 909 that I’d spent far too much on and was concerned the price might dive.

this never actually happens when behringer clones anything, though. the price of the vintage gear stays the same.
umma gumma
yeah, I suppose I was a little overenthusiastic up there >.> I had just finished a bottle of red wine with dinner

I guess I am tired of VA gear....why bother with it, when you can just use a VST?

I prefer hardware that works as-is, doesn't need ongoing support, won't freeze, crash, or bog down, and wont be obsolete when next years "new" virtual technology comes out. probably easier to repair in 15 years too

owned a System 1m & returned it, disappointed in the synth sounds

I do use a TR8 though, I like it enough. But I would buy a reasonably priced 808/909 in a heartbeat
prae
gentle_attack wrote:

If someone like Olivier Gillet hacked the system 1m with his algorithms. Fuck. That would truly next level "the new Nord Modular." I'm not holding my breath but that would be a beautiful thing.

oh my god can you imagine... that would be amazing
nectarios
Analog 909 clone with outs for each voice, below 400bucks.
I can't find something bad to say as I like techno music as well.
Looks good too.
darenager
A 909 for everyone, even people who can’t tell the difference, wow!

I can’t believe its not Roland!

Can’t wait for all those greedy rich collectors who own the Roland TR-909 and TR-808 to watch their “investments” tumble overnight once the RDs hit the streets hyper

In case it wasn’t obvious I’m joking, I wouldn’t piss on a RD if it was on Dead Banana
Ranxerox
I'm interested, but as with the RD808 not forming any verdicts until some decent sound demos are in evidence. Aside from the originals, so far it seems the boutique 808 and 909 are the ones to beat for sound accuracy?
tioJim
But there's endless ways to get the 808 and 909 circuits these days (Eurorack, boutique clones, software, Roland's re-releases). I spent a few days on a forum and a long weekend in the workshop and had an utterly convincing 808 kick soldered up on perfboard by Monday morning, ffs! It's only a handful of components.

They look terrible - like the 808 and 909 from a parallel universe where everything looks a bit shitter than this one - so why pass them off as an 808 and a 909?

I don't get it. Copy the circuits, sure (though ideally add to them), but make them look like shit versions of the originals? seriously, i just don't get it

Is it so TR fanboys can pretend they've got one? I don't think you'll be fooling anyone
nectarios
tioJim wrote:
But there's endless ways to get the 808 and 909 circuits these days (Eurorack, boutique clones, software, Roland's re-releases). I spent a few days on a forum and a long weekend in the workshop and had an utterly convincing 808 kick soldered up on perfboard by Monday morning, ffs! It's only a handful of components.

They look terrible - like the 808 and 909 from a parallel universe where everything looks a bit shitter than this one - so why pass them off as an 808 and a 909?

I don't get it. Copy the circuits, sure (though ideally add to them), but make them look like shit versions of the originals? seriously, i just don't get it

Is it so TR fanboys can pretend they've got one? I don't think you'll be fooling anyone

Pretty sure there are people who don't need to fool anyone, but would like a cheap drum machine that sounds good, sends a clock to their modular and just jam a track in the computer, through the desk.
Also these things are cheap, which mean less stress when touring with them. Hell, its so cheap you can have a second one as a back up.

Fair enough on the looks, but I don't think they look terrible at all and even though this is the RD-909 thread, the added wave designer, automatable resonant analog filter and (hopefully) ratcheting in the sequencer, adds quite a bit to the RD-808, with regards to the original TR-808.
tioJim
nectarios wrote:
tioJim wrote:

Pretty sure there are people who don't need to fool anyone, but would like a cheap drum machine that sounds good, sends a clock to their modular and just jam a track in the computer, through the desk.
Also these things are cheap, which mean less stress when touring with them. Hell, its so cheap you can have a second one as a back up.

Fair enough on the looks, but I don't think they look terrible at all and even though this is the RD-909 thread, the added wave designer, automatable resonant analog filter and (hopefully) ratcheting in the sequencer, adds quite a bit to the RD-808, with regards to the original TR-808.

Fo shizzle, and that's a good point re touring/live

I just find the visual knock-off aspect a bit weird
nectarios
Fair enough.
I am not kidding my self, this is a company that feeds off the success of gear from other companies and capitalizes on the fact that those companies, just haven't given people, what they have been asking for, for bonkers years.
Behringer provides an affordable option to artists that can't afford the originals, or the more expensive clones.

Dance music has seen many creative people making banging tunes using the most cheap stuff, I don't think this is any different.

People will keep splashing out for the originals and all the people that would not/could not, will soon have an alternative.
tioJim
nectarios wrote:
Fair enough.
I am not kidding my self, this is a company that feeds off the success of gear from other companies and capitalizes on the fact that those companies, just haven't given people, what they have been asking for, for bonkers years.
Behringer provides an affordable option to artists that can't afford the originals, or the more expensive clones.

Dance music has seen many creative people making banging tunes using the most cheap stuff, I don't think this is any different.

People will keep splashing out for the originals and all the people that would not/could not, will soon have an alternative.

Roland make some weird decisions. So they refuse to re-issue 808/909 in its original state but let a third party (Malekko) revive the System 100/700 series with the System 500 euro stuff. Go figure!
Man-In-A-Suitcase
tioJim wrote:
Roland make some weird decisions.

indeed they do, however there will be some new products from them on the 13th, this wednesday, whatever they are no one knows yet!

could be more boutiques, aira shizz, or another collab with SE.
tioJim
Man-In-A-Suitcase wrote:
tioJim wrote:

indeed they do, however there will be some new products from them on the 13th, this wednesday, whatever they are no one knows yet!

Exact copies of the TR808 and TR909 down to the last nut and bolt $50 cheaper than Behringer. Now THAT would be stylin' wink
tioJim
Man-In-A-Suitcase wrote:
tioJim wrote:

A completely new analog TR drum machine (based on 808/909 voicings but extended) with 12-bit sampling. Just render Uli's moves irrelevant and boring by comparison hihi
tioJim
[deleted]
Xmit
Quote:
their AIRA stuff is crap

except it's mostly not, is it.

The TR-8S is brilliant. a nearly perfect drum machine for the 21st century for an affordable price. I don't get the analogue obsession - particularly with a drum machine, where most of the instances you've heard of those classic sounds on record were often heavily processed samples. Jog on, haters.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 1 of 6