MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Minimoog Model D Clone + pics (looking for dimensions)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Minimoog Model D Clone + pics (looking for dimensions)
Kevin Mitchell
Hi! I'm planning out my own Model D clone and I'm trying to find measurements for the 4 piece metal chassis that makes the control module - especially the drill layout for the front panel. I can get a rough idea of what they are going off of the cabinet dimensions and tracing the face panel but I'm hoping the measurements are archived somewhere- or at least I feel they should be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-KM
Kevin Mitchell
Maybe someone blessed enough to own a Model D could report quick measurements of the synth module/metal box? I'm mostly wondering how deep these units are for when I start folding sheet metal.

I suppose it's not a big deal and is something I can work around without being exact. Was just hoping I could get a close measurement.

A drill layout for the panel would be nice too - apposed to tracing the reproduction panel I bought. Might be the best idea though. Idk seriously, i just don't get it

Click here for the 3D model I'm working on. Someone else had rendered their own 3D model allegedly for reproduction parts but I have no way of contacting the creator.
devinw1
Cool project. I've thought seriously about doing the same thing haha. I was going to make a model of all the wood parts in Solidworks and have them CNC routered, and then have the sheet fabbed up.

Without having a real one in front of me, thought, I was going to go more the route of making it more "my own" than trying for a clone though!

I'll be interested to see what you come up with!
devinw1
BTW, there are a coupole of other people who have pulled this off, or started to. You may hit them up for deets:

http://www.crazy-patroche.com/2015/10/clonage-du-minimoog.html
(Parlez vous Francais? Ha)

http://inaptlycrafted.blogspot.com/2016/06/minimoog-replica.html

http://www.tauntek.com/DIYMinimoog.htm
Kevin Mitchell
I've had those links bookmarked for years hihi
devinw1
Kevin Mitchell wrote:
I've had those links bookmarked for years hihi

Hehe...I figured so.

That French guy is crazy industrious! Looking at his blog it's crazy how much stuff he replicates!
KSS
The tricky part is that there is a stacked pair of piano hinges on the bottom. One for the obvious front panel tilt action, and the other behind to allow easier access to panel wiring once the PCBs are removed. Moog's re-issue eliminated the 2nd hinge due to the change in board and wiring structure.

The other dimensions not found anywhere are the left-right and inner PCB plane locations for the PCBs. They may be eyeballed from photos and that works. Still would be nice if someone could post photos focused on these two items.

Are you using the original Duo-tyne connectors? Or standard card edge types which change the vertical dimension slightly? Or going the route moog used for the re-issue with Headers and ribbon cable between the voice PCBs and the panel PCB?

Have you already found the wonderfully done PDF with all the wood case details?
KSS
devinw1 wrote:
That French guy is crazy industrious! Looking at his blog it's crazy how much stuff he replicates!

Which may be why he goes by crazy patroche. Anafrog.com for more industrious Frenchmen. Like Baloran, who did The River poly and detailed its development there.

Anafrog is one of many great non-English sites covering things not seen here.
Kevin Mitchell
Yes I have found the dimensions for the cabinet which is what this is modeled from;

I was testing my hand in doing the wood work over the weekend. It was a mess. Last time I try to rip a 3/4" board to 5/8" with a hand saw d'oh! Late last night my friendly neighbor came knocking with a cold beer and a table saw. Life just got better.

I actually have a circuit working and ready to go. It's the one Julien had created - the MME (Guinguin Instruments). So it's a simple matter of mounting the small PCB and wiring up panel mount controls with minor modifications.

I've got everything nailed down but the metal chassis and obtaining the correct mod wheels. I wouldn't need the chassis hinge and could set it up similar to the reissue model. The most difficult thing is not having access to the measurement details. It seems I'd have to do things in a fashion that accommodates my setup. Luckily with common sense and some miscellaneous info around the web I can get it close by look - at least from certain angles meh
Kevin Mitchell
A little update for anyone curious. A couple more cuts of lumber and the cabinet is done. I'm starting to plan the metal work along with the wiring diagram. Much room for creativity though I still don't have a firm idea on the original chassis dimensions.

devinw1
Looks real good man!
Kevin Mitchell
Sweet Jesus. I've found a beautiful cad file that was available for download. I have all the dimensions I need. Time to look for quotes for the chassis work.

Oh boy cool
https://grabcad.com/library/moog-minimoog-model-d-1
devinw1
Sheeeeet! That's a detailed model! Wonder how accurate the dimensions are.
Kevin Mitchell
They are very close but when you check out the hidden details it's not all there.

The model shows the chassis in 3 parts (with an extra front plate). That's not how it should be. Though the dimensions of the model were helpful for my own plans.

Here's my finished model with chassis panel plans
3D Sketchup Model link here
KSS
Yves Usson is hosting the PDF file mentioned in my earlier post. Here's the link: http://yusynth.net/MiniMoog/

The file is by John Riesenman whose email in the file is udream@adelphia.net
Kevin Mitchell
KSS wrote:
Yves Usson is hosting the PDF file mentioned in my earlier post. Here's the link: http://yusynth.net/MiniMoog/

The file is by John Riesenman whose email in the file is udream@adelphia.net

... I'm aware of this. It's my reference for the 3d model and the wood I've already prepped. I had to special order thicker lumber to finish a few pieces.

I have a good idea on how I'm going to build the chassis which was the part that I didn't have enough information on. Just from photos and that cad model I've figured out enough to comfortably move forward. It should all be done before December.
Troubleshooter

Still got the CAD drawing from my clone. It has a few mods so not quite original layout on the left hand controller (reissue layout) and right side from the filter (contains the 2 PWM rate and depth pots) All the rest is measured up from my reissue.. My wood and metalwork is designed to fit the crowminius PCB inside underneath the fatar keybed. Also have the cad files for the modwheels etc...
Broadwave
After too-ing and fro-ing, I put the MME back in the case and sold the Behringer - Shamefully, I've STILL not tidied up the wiring hihi

Troubleshooter
Hey, I like the way you didthe rotary switch and pots boards. The cabling, well I have learned over the years to fix them propperly from the first wire up so the build stays clean all the way up. Fixing that spagetti afterwards can be quite frustrating when you notice some wires are too long or too short to do it as you planned. Anyway I am sure you will manage the wiring. All the rest looks very very professionally made. I hope the wires don't catch up any humm, bleedtrough or other interferences. Good luck.
Kevin Mitchell
Woah! I've caught both of those in the MME thread a while back. Very inspiring.

I'm etching a substitute board for the MME control board that'll have terminals so I could easily remove the analog board if I ever had to mess with it. The rest will be hand wired similar to the original.

How did you guys handle the power supply? I'm asking because the MME uses +12/-12 volts, the overload driver shows 15v (maybe 12 is enough here) and the headphone amp shows 20v
Kevin Mitchell
Getting closer to the end

[/img]
jdelgoulet
If I were sure I would make a bunch of "real size" front panel PCB so that the MME analog board could be plugged in directly ...

Very nice work Kevin. Looks already awesome !
devinw1
Kevin Mitchell wrote:
Getting closer to the end

[/img]

Dude....what did you use for your mod and pitch wheels?? I ended up buying a used Yammy DX7 set for my Pro-One clone build, but I couldn't find a new OEM style wheel set online ANYWHERE. THose clear polycarbonate? wheels are awesome btw!! I'm seeing LEDs behind there...lol!
Kevin Mitchell
Thanks, guys!

There was a gentleman from the Moog Music forum who had made a batch of laser cut acrylic wheels years ago. I lucked out when I asked him if he had any extras laying around - which he did.

After some setbacks... I've made a little bit of progress over the passed week. Just need a little post-finish buffing.
devinw1
Kevin Mitchell wrote:
Thanks, guys!

There was a gentleman from the Moog Music forum who had made a batch of laser cut acrylic wheels years ago. I lucked out when I asked him if he had any extras laying around - which he did.

After some setbacks... I've made a little bit of progress over the passed week. Just need a little post-finish buffing.

Nice score!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2