MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Definite modular no-no's...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Definite modular no-no's...
mousegarden
OK, these are my personal takes, but they seem to have a ring of truth about them.

You must never use stackables, they are evil, myself, and friends have proved that they they will give you more frowns than smiles.

Sampling modules, I've never felt like they belong in modular, and I don't feel comfortable using them. They are just not in the spirit of modular.

A modular system can never be too small, but it can be too big, really big systems are a bit like traveling the world, no matter how many countries you have, you can only ever be in one place at a time.

Never, ever get in debt when buying modules, its just plain stupid. Burn your credit card well before this happens.

Don't go on forums talking about why you should get this or that module, or why you should downsize or upsize or give up etc, it's a total and utter waste of time and energy, as you will only do what you want to do in the end.

Don't buy multi-function modules, they seem like a good idea, but you'll never use them, they just don't work in the real world, and like sampling modules, they aern't in the spirit of modular. I'll add multi effects modules to this list as well, they aern't in the spirit either.

You need to realise that the time you will spend on Modular Grid, and forums like this reading posts like this will add up to a good few years probably, and I'm not joking, this is time that you could have spent actually making and recording the music that we all admire here and talk about here, music done by our heroes, its just that they just went and got on with it, and we didn't.
justin3am
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but you are framing this like there is some objective 'truth' behind it. It's just your opinion, based on your experience. It's a narrow view. We don't all use our synths the same way. I love reading about the experiences of others, especially when their choice of modules makes no sense to me.

What is this "modular spirit"? Is it like a ghost which will come get you if your rack ain't right?
Ghost
NotHerbert
Rule #1: Break the rules.
Pelsea
Absolutely correct, especially about the time wasted.....

Oops
sduck
number 4 is the only one I agree with. (and I've broken it occasionally)
bedhed3000
mousegarden wrote:

Never, ever get in debt when buying modules, its just plain stupid. Burn your credit card well before this happens.

I only partially disagree. I agree you should only buy modules when you have the money to spend on them, but there is no reason not to use a credit card that gives you bonus points/cash back - provided you pay it back right away before any interest kicks in.
Muff McMuff
In a small system a multi function disting would be very useful, well used and probably fully explored.

The scope of samples is so massive and unlimited that i think it compliments the experimental no idea where this will lead to nature of modular. So legit imo. Also maybe chimes in exactly with spirit of modular, the experimental part of the "spirit".
lisa
”Multi-function modules” like Maths? I agree! screaming goo yo
numan7
confused are there any modules that aren't "multi-function" (e.g. resonant VCFs can also be VCOs; VCAs can be patched for lots of different things, especially ones that are DC-coupled; etc.)?

(hmmm..... ... maybe passive attenuators then? a modular system consisting of nothing but passive attenuators would certainly be rather dull!)

cheers
moremagic
hahahah no stackcables wtf hihi

look how wrong you are dude
Prunesquallor
mousegarden wrote:
Don't buy multi-function modules...

Damn, no Serge then. hihi
mousegarden
lisa wrote:
”Multi-function modules” like Maths? I agree! screaming goo yo

I've broken all of my "rules" for a start I own a Maths.
Of course these are just my opinions, but there's bound to be lots of people who share some of them. Modular is about finding your own level, the things I listed have for some reason irritated me since I've been into it, like, I hate stackables, they create all sorts of noise, crackles, bad connections, total nightmare, just touch one and spikes are injected into your patch like a thousand lightning bolts. I'd rather sacrifice rack space to multiples, they make better more secure connections. Banana stackables are OK though, I'll let those off. In fact, anything banana is OK, bananas should have been the standard for Euro.
"The spirit of modular" this also raises the question of when does a modular stop being a modular, my answer to that question is when a module makes too many connections and decisions for you on a chip inside, a spring reverb is fine, it's a simple part of a bigger patch, but complex multi FX modules somehow smack of cheating to me, but I can accept delay modules, again, it's only one function, you see, this objection may seem ridiculous to some people, but it irritates me, it's just not right.
As for wasting time on forums well, you can't accuse me of "that" ......

wink
hamildad
I actually agree with all of these....

Stuff like sampling modules and stackables, I accept that that's just my personal viewpoint, and most peoples mileage will vary greatly.

100% agree about not asking the internet to make all your decisions for you, and realising that if your music making time is less than your talking about module buying time, you might need to change that.

I'd also say that you shouldn't buy anything on credit... just a personal opinion on finance and I accept that people work well within the limitations of a credit card. I just have experience of cooling off on a bout of GAS and realising I didnt really want the thing anyway. If you save you can normally hit that cooling off period before you purchase.

Hats off to mousegarden, but I am reminded of Groucho Marx.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
DickMarker
mousegarden wrote:
...the spirit of modular...

...the spirit of modular...

Has your ghost finally caught up to you in Kent?
starthief
"The spirit of modular" is f u

(Not meant personally, but: I assembled my instrument from modules of my own choosing, and I'm going to use it and play it the way I want. Modular means freedom.)

Every module is a multi-function module if you open your mind. Have you never used a filter as an oscillator? Never used a VCA as a half-wave rectifier? Never used a mixer as a DAC? Never used an envelope as a waveshaper?
mousegarden
Quote:
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."

hihi

My girlfriend is always saying......."but you said"
I say, I know what I said, but that was then, this is now, can no one be entitled to change their mind?
My God, how many gazillion posts have we read about people who have given up modular, only to see them post a rack on Muff's the size of a continent three months later...
kwaidan
Open a separate bank account for equipment. In the US, you can often get $100-$200 in bonus bucks. Plus, it is amazing at how much you can save when you deposit funds a separate account that is earmarked for a specific reason.
captjrab
Everything in moderation or is it modulation....
I like using straight “one function” analog modules. Great for the fundamentals and the lineageof the art. Sometimes tho, you need to squeeze more function into a small case so you have O&C for instsnce.
Effects, granular and samplers are part of the New Modular Spirit. I get it tho. When you implant something very design-y your music becomes more of a collaboration then you might be comfortable with. We are going through a renaissance of music technology which can be a drag becuaise there are too many options, however, its nice to put the icing on the cake too.
As far as modular stars not posting on Muffs and we are all wasting our time...
I feel like there is no star system in modular and its pretty democratised. Its good to be in touch with your peers. People here are totally shreading it. Rockin' Banana!
Rex Coil 7
mousegarden wrote:
.... I know what I said, but that was then, this is now, can no one be entitled to change their mind? ...
This.

I can't recall how many times I've seen someone picking at some person's statement made or opinion given from like 1985 or something, then throwing big huge rocks at them saying "you are now saying something different, this makes you a FLIP FLOPPER!! ... GOTCHYA!!".

Happens all the time, especially lately, and most especially on cable "news" (if you can even call it "news" anymore) anytime some reporter or politician is picking nits about some other politician.

I guess by the "new rules" we live by these days, evolving and personal growth simply are not permitted. Along with ten tons of other shit that is no longer permitted.

The things that Member *mousegarden outlined are simply his own personal rules. I thank him for sharing with us.

Member *lisa ... (as has been pointed out) MATHS is no more a compound module than an envelope generator that is outfitted with looping capability, which blurs the line between envelope generator and LFO and that point.

I never understand the shit tossed at MATHS ... I have 4 of them. Personally, I find it simpler to learn one complex module and apply what I've learned to multiple instances rather than trying to learn, comprehend, and retain all of the same functions within eight different modules. After all, a modular synthesizer system is really nothing but one large complex module in the end.

But since this entire thread is about personal opinions, I suppose everything I have said in this post is totally moot, since it's all just my own opinions about fluid answers to fluid questions, to which there are no right answers ... just opinions about what is preferred.

Kinda like disputing where a circle ends, and where it begins (all said and all done, does it matter?).

seriously, i just don't get it
Carrousel
starthief wrote:

Every module is a multi-function module if you open your mind. Have you never used a filter as an oscillator? Never used a VCA as a half-wave rectifier? Never used a mixer as a DAC? Never used an envelope as a waveshaper?

+1

The beauty of Eurorack is that it's just an endless musical environment where all nodes in the system are manifest as analogue interaction points in the real world.

To most people here that's a borderline orgasmic idea. To most other people its an expensive waste of time.

I don't think you'll have much success trying to prescribe it more than that.

Forget trying to give it rules, or even describe it beyond the above rudimentary description. We're all nerds, thus we're never going to agree!
cornutt
mousegarden wrote:

Now you tell me! d'oh!
cptnal
mousegarden wrote:
My God, how many gazillion posts have we read about people who have given up modular, only to see them post a rack on Muff's the size of a continent three months later...

I can think of at least one... razz
Keltie
S’all opinion and perspective. Nothing wrong with OPs opinion. What works for him works.

But I disagree with almost all of it, myself.

My take: came stupidly late to modular. Been into synths since the mid 80s, into euro just over a year d'oh!

My musical productivity and inspiration is relatively off the scale since I made the switch from DAW and my old MIDI hardware, kicking myself not to have done it years ago.

I have a lot of digital in my rack, and samplers, and a disting, as well as the usual old school analogue building blocks. To me, this is the “ new spirit of modular”... unprecedented flexibility and choice, including almost DAW like workflows if that’s what you want, and that’s what works for you

I have lots of stack cables without problems, and do my buying on credit card for the extra protection, including via PayPal. Bill paid in full on time* = no interest.

I spent many many hours here and elsewhere planning and reading. But the ratio of wiggle time is changing, now that my rig is taking proper shape, and I patch most days, and just quickly catch up on muffs ( when I’m not doing long posts like this, which is rare)

So OPs opinion is not shared here, but that’s OK. I’m a maverick loner who plays by his own rules**

My first show is in about a month. It’s gonna be a self contained, stackcable laden, bought-on-tick digitally oscillating fuck fest of immense proportion***. I’m stoked!

* mostly
** cue brooding look and gravelly voice over.
*** pray for me.

SlayerBadger!
motorhead412
Opinions are like @$$holes; everyone scratches 'em too much cool
mskala
numan7 wrote:
:confused: are there any modules that aren't "multi-function" (e.g. resonant VCFs can also be VCOs; VCAs can be patched for lots of different things, especially ones that are DC-coupled; etc.)?

Ironclad rule. Decide how you're going to use a module before you buy it and then never use it any other way. Hot-glue the cables in place once you set up your first patch.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2