MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Disting MK4 K-5 Programmable Quantizer and scala programming
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author Disting MK4 K-5 Programmable Quantizer and scala programming
collumn2016
Hi OS, been struggling with this for ages and had to put it to one side. I have tried to follow the instruction to create scales using scala and the different folders etc that need to present on the disting but have been unable to get them to work.Could you put together a video with step by step instructions on this? Its one of the algorithms i have been most excited by. Cheers
os
If you could zip up the files on your SD card and post them here, I'll have a look and see why they don't work.
collumn2016
HI Os heres the files been awhile since i looked at these and i think this is all of them. Cheers
os
I think it might be as simple as that you've not specified a kbm file for any of the scales.
collumn2016
Hi Os, I went back to the example files you provide and reduced the number of scales i was using. I tried to tag my scales into playlist-scales.txt after your entries. When i try using them and scroll through the list on the disting i get to pyth_12 and then error using scl/kbm until the scale diminished and then the Disting crashes. I am no programmer and i am clearly missing something here. Can you take a look at the files and tell me where i am going wrong please. Cheers
os
johnson_7.scl is a 7 note scale and so can't be used with example.kbm which you've specified as the default.
collumn2016
Hi Os, spent ages looking through scala and scales and keyboard mappings. I dont have a clue how to create a keyboard map for the scales i have chosen. Is there a simple way of doing this as the options are too great for me to understand. Is there a default for a 7 note scale for example or a 12 note one?I dont have much in the way of music theory etc. I was excited by the algorithm as i wanted to send random cv from my ultra random analog to the disting and create strange atmospheres etc. I appreciate the depth and flexibility this algorithm brings but it would be nice to have a set of asian scales or different modes for example and the wholetone scale. I really appreciate what you do and hope i am not asking too much of you. Cheers
os
The 7.kbm file works for any 7 note scale I believe. There are some examples you can download from the scala website (which is where 7.kbm came from).
oudplayer
I'm considering getting into the world of Expert Sleepers and scala tunings as well. There's 2 ways I might want to approach this:
    1. using a turing generator to create a random sequence and quantizing it through disting's quantizer feature to a scala tuning

2. creating a pre-recorded CV sequence that is already quantized to a scala scale, perhaps in silent way, playing it back through the Disting

Is the first currently working/supported?

And I'm a bit confused about how I might make a workflow that incorporates Silent Way and Disting mk4. The Disting manual mentions that it can play back a wav file that contains CV data. Sounds perfect, I'd like to create long sequences with scala tunings that I can play back through a Eurorack system. But I'm unclear how to get from midi data in a DAW through silent way to the creation of a wav file that can be exported from the DAW and loaded into Disting.
os
The random generator/quantizer thing will definitely work.

You can record the output of the Silent Way plug-in as audio within the DAW.
oudplayer
os wrote:
The random generator/quantizer thing will definitely work.

You can record the output of the Silent Way plug-in as audio within the DAW.

Sounds great - ordering both, and will try it out! Thanks os.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1