MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Music, painting and textile art
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Your Tunes Here  
Author Music, painting and textile art
FA
Hi Everyone!

This is the first installment for my latest project which aims to unify music, painting and textile art into one interdisciplinary piece of work.

At the core lies the music which governs all aspects of the other two parts which forms the triptych that every piece will consist of, right down to pictorial composition and color as well as the shapes which make out the embroidery.

Thank you for taking your time and let me know if you'd like to know more about the project!

FA

https://soundcloud.com/felixahlstrom
oberdada
Yes. I'm always curious about how people combine music and non-time based visual arts.
FA
It basically comes down to the way that most post-tonal music is analyzed as a series of pitch classes which can be arranged as numbers 0-11 on a clock face circle.

If you have a circle where you can map out the PC-sets you use for your music, that very same mapping can also be applied to a color wheel as well as using said mappings for deriving various geometric shapes which can be used in pictorial composition much like the armature of the rectangle.

Those same geometric shapes is what I have used for deriving the shapes which make up the embroideries you can see in the work posted in my signature. It's those three PC sets which control every aspect of the work through a process akin to Pierre Boulez pitch multiplication found in his later works like Sur Incises.

The choice or colors in the painting is derived from the implied pitch centers, or lack there of, in these three PC-sets and the pictorial composition is based on a version of the armature of the rectangle but made out of the same geometric shapes.

I'm trained in pattern drafting and tailoring but for this project I've deliberately used "found" garments which have been tattered and torn by years of use, not unlike most people after everything life throws at us, and in effect I've "mended the garment with music".

Thanks for taking your time and expressing an interest in my project, always a pleasure to share experiences and concepts about art and it’s creation!
oberdada
Thanks for your explanation, it's still very interesting!

I'm familiar with PC sets and all that, but this particular mapping to colour and shape is not something I recall having seen done before. Perhaps with the exception of a cabbalistic practice of constructing sigills by connecting dots on some underlying diagram. Interesting music too, I just found the links now.

Skål!
FA
Thank you very much for the kind words! (Tack!)

To my knowledge this has not been done before, I got the rough idea, which have gone through various stages of development since, last year when I was studying post-tonal music theory and started to get very into PC-set theory.

What you've found in the link is the first "single" from this project, there will be much more to come and this first installment is probably the most straightforward of the planned pieces.

I'll keep this thread updated as things proceed.

FA
FA
The second installment in this project is now up on Soundcloud and Bandcamp where the project will continue to unfold piece by piece over the next couple of months.

Thanks for taking your time and enjoy!

[s]http://soundcloud.com/felixahlstrom/sets/east-wall-triptych[/s]
adam
you might like the pattern matrix, a physical interface for designing woven structures using a musical programming language, there are various posts about it here, same guy designed that midimutant thing with aphex twin

https://fo.am/blog/2017/08/28/pattern-matrix-2-report/
FA
That certainly looks intriguing. I’ll have to do some digging but with certain modifications this may be a very interesting interface to use, especially for what I’m slowly atarting ti formulate as the next logical step after this project is finished.

Thanks!
adam
they were working with some textile place in copenhagen i think, it's all open source, so you can make one if you like smile
FA
Admittedly my DIY skills with electronics are not very good but I might get there with some additional reading up. Again, the idea is certainly very interesting and I truly love the development of open-source that's come along in the past few years. Opens up the doors for these kinds of admittedly quite niche products smile
adam
it's quite a simple design, mostly a raspberry pi with a few sensor boards and magnets, if you have a hackerspace nearby they would have most of the tools necessary
FA
I'll have to look into what may or may not be available localy, quite recently moved to a new place and have yet to discover the finer details about what my new surrounds have on offer in terms of more niche things.

Realistically I think this is a project that I'll mull over a bit over the past few months and then perhaps tackle in the new year.
FA
The third installment in this project is now up on Soundcloud and Bandcamp.
This is the next to last piece that will be created for this project and with this exact format.

My sincere thanks to anyone who's taken their time to listen/look so far as well as discussing the project.

See you all in 2019 for the fourth and concluding piece of this project!

[s]https://soundcloud.com/felixahlstrom/sets/west-wall-triptych[/s]
oberdada
I would consider the connections between pitch classes and colour arbitrary, but you apply them systematically which forces through your choices in one domain on the other.

Interesting harmonic landscape you have ended up with here. It's polytonal as if listening to a regular pop song with a 30 second delay.
FA
I agree that the connection between PC and color is arbitrary, eg C=Cobalt Blue for example could just as well be C=Vermillion etc but then again when converting a PC to an integer value (0-11) that could be considered arbitrary as well, the importance lies in the consistency.

I quite like the description of the harmonic landscape and exploring these different landscapes is a big part of what this project is about. Even though I may not return to this exact scheme for the next project, it's been a very enjoyable and rewarding experience.

To be quite honest, the more I've created, regardless of discipline, I'm more and more starting to consider each piece as a study. Some studies are obviously more developed than others and may or may not carry a deeper personal meaning to me in terms of pure artistic expression but they are nevertheless studies.

After all, if one could create "the ultimate piece of art", whatever that may be, that would ultimately be the death of your artistic practice since there would be nothing left to explore.

Thanks for stopping by again and having a look, I deeply appreciate ii.
Happy New Year!
FA
It's with great pleasure that I can announce that the fourth installment in this project is now finished and with that, the entire project has reached it's conclusion in the current form and is released as an "EP" on Bandcamp.

Thank you all who've taken part in this and the discussions surrounding the project for taking your time.

https://soundcloud.com/felixahlstrom/sets/soon-asleep

https://felixahlstrom.bandcamp.com/album/soon-asleep
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Your Tunes Here  
Page 1 of 1