MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

How to build a rack around the 0-coast?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author How to build a rack around the 0-coast?
Altair
So for whatever reason I had been ignoring the 0-coast until Thursday night, when I realized:

-It's the absolute cheapest way to get the West Coast-ish sound in hardware. There's nothing else like it in that price range.
-The Korg SQ1 is the most versatile sequencer for its price
-Both are Euro compatible, and could interface with my MS-20 Mini.

For a long time I've dreamt of building a rack that could both stand on its own as a unique sound generator while also expanding the capability of my MS-20. So I opened ModularGrid yesterday and came up with this: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/742946

The big space up top is where I'd slot the SQ1. Maybe I'd solder my own mults. I'm looking at this as a sort of cut-down MN Shared System with a Rings and Clouds. Along with this I'd want a module that can divide clock from my DAW (or my Analog Four or whatever) into both standard and syncopated divisions, and whatever else you think I should include for the most sonic flexibility. What say y'all?
lisa
I also started my leap into eurorack with the 0-coast and the SQ1. This is where I ended up: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/713567 screaming goo yo

I don’t think you’ll be able to fully theorize this. When you use the 0-coast/SQ1 combo you’ll notice what else you’d benefit from. I would never have guessed that my rack would end up where it ended up but I’m mighty pleased with it.
Altair
lisa wrote:
I also started my leap into eurorack with the 0-coast and the SQ1. This is where I ended up: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/713567 screaming goo yo

I don’t think you’ll be able to fully theorize this. When you use the 0-coast/SQ1 combo you’ll notice what else you’d benefit from. I would never have guessed that my rack would end up where it ended up but I’m mighty pleased with it.

Holy shit eek!

Guess you didn't escape the EuroCrack Dead Banana
gentle_attack
Altair wrote:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/742946

Along with this I'd want a module that can divide clock from my DAW (or my Analog Four or whatever) into both standard and syncopated divisions, and whatever else you think I should include for the most sonic flexibility. What say y'all?

That looks like a pretty decent setup for expanding. If you're not in a big rush, you could see what the update to the System Carteisan brings, as they just announced an update to the Rene, which I am sure will be included in the Cartesian soon enough.Even if you didn't actually buy this, you can take note of what a small system might look like in the MN universe. It's a perfect compliment to the 0-Coast. The MN skiff is a big win over a Happy Ending Kit, IMO, the power is ample for a couple digital modules (what you are suggesting wouldn't be anywhere near depleting it's power capabilities).

I would definitely check out Expert Sleepers if you are using a Laptop/DAW, they have a really stellar lineup of USB/Midi -> CV modules. There's also the CV.OCD which can sit in front of a Eurorack and is great for taking midi information and turning into trigs and CV.

Also if you are looking to turn clock information into modulation (synced envelopes or LFOS) the ALM Pamela's New Workout is a must have, great value on that little module.
nbirnel
I intend to start my leap *out* of eurorack with the 0-coast.
wickfut
I started with SQ1 and 0coast in March. Now I'm here: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/726386

I've not plugged a wire into the 0coast in months.
Sloth Boss
0-Coast is definitely the gateway that led me into modular, but I'm not a fan of putting it in a case. It's kind of pointless and it's already in a very nice, very minimal, very durable, powered case of it's own. You've gotta figure out what you're going to do with the power, and the screw holes don't line up with the rack holes.
lisa
Altair wrote:
Holy shit eek!

Guess you didn't escape the EuroCrack Dead Banana

Well, I don’t know. I sold off a bunch of other stuff for this, I’m done buying now (I’m not getting a bigger rack) and I’ve made more music than ever. The drug reference feels a bit out of place, actually.

I took a pledge when I started and it worked out. thumbs up
nrrrd
This is what I've built so far (since May) to complement my 0-Coast.

The difficulty I faced was in not just replicating the 0-Coast functionality in the rack.

As you can see, I've basically built a System Cartesian, without a Rene but with a Optomix instead of the LxD and a MMG, Contour and sample & hold added. Also, I swapped the Rosie for a 2hp headphone amp from ALM busy circuits, as I didn't feel I needed the extra mixing capabilities of Rosie.

I use a Beatstep Pro to sequence notes, gates and also CV via the gate values of the drum tracks.

Works really well, both as a standalone system and as a source for FM-ing the 0-Coast or providing CV to the 0-Coast.
iamwintermute
I built a rack around the 0-Coast as I think it packs so much functionality into a small space and sounds great. I have a few different systems but this is definitely one of the most enjoyable to play. I was thinking along the lines of a Buchla Music Easel or Make Noise Shared System (but smaller and cheaper) - I built it into a suitcase so its really portable:

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1