MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Argos Bleak - how to update firmware?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman  
Author Argos Bleak - how to update firmware?
witchbutter
I have a hex file from the website but no idea how to load it. Do I need special hardware for this? I bought this new but somehow it doesn't have firmware 1.5.
dropthedyle
yes, hardware is needeed = pickit
See that thread :
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=165472
blackryder
I would recommend you use the Pickit 3, it's super easy with that one plus the MPLab software you can download for free from Microchip.... I bought a knockoff Pickit from Amazon for like 20 bucks - it's called a kit 3.5, and worked perfectly when I updated my StillsonHammer...
The 3 doesn't send power to the chip you are programming (Pickit 2 does), so you'll need to have the module powered on for the update to take hold.

I'm about to try updating the Argos Bleak I bought secondhand, before I do I'm wondering if anybody knows how to get the firmware version to display? (I know there's a secret button combination on the SHmkii to show the current version, I'm hoping there's something similar for the AB)...

Although I guess I could just dump the latest release on there anyway... not like it would hurt anything
mt3
blackryder wrote:
I would recommend you use the Pickit 3, it's super easy with that one plus the MPLab software you can download for free from Microchip.... I bought a knockoff Pickit from Amazon for like 20 bucks - it's called a kit 3.5, and worked perfectly when I updated my StillsonHammer...
The 3 doesn't send power to the chip you are programming (Pickit 2 does), so you'll need to have the module powered on for the update to take hold.

I'm about to try updating the Argos Bleak I bought secondhand, before I do I'm wondering if anybody knows how to get the firmware version to display? (I know there's a secret button combination on the SHmkii to show the current version, I'm hoping there's something similar for the AB)...

Although I guess I could just dump the latest release on there anyway... not like it would hurt anything

Page 3 of the manual:
"VERSION NUMBER DISPLAY - Hold the Rotary Encoder button and press the DESTINATION button. The version number will show in the display."
blipson
Here's the For Dummies step-by-step, no thinking involved recipe that worked for me on my Mac with a PicKit 3:

1. Determine the current firmware version:
press and hold the rotary encoder, then press the DESTINATION button
2. Ensure that the firmware download’s folder names have no spaces.
3. Attach the PicKit 3 to the module with its white arrow on the opposite side of the the module's other headers’ negative-indicated pin.
4. Launch the application mplab_ide.
5. Do File>New Project.
6. Choose “Prebuilt.”
7. Browse to the firmware's .hex file.
8. Specify the device. The device specification is the long string of numbers and letters in the readme included in the firmware download. Until you do that, the software won't find your module. The readme should contain something like, "PROCESSOR TYPE FOR PICKIT: DSPIC33FJ128GP310A"
9. Click "Finish."
10. Press the button at the top of the UI that has a downward arrow and whose popup reads, "Make and Program device (Project <ProjectName>)"
mt3
blipson wrote:
Here's the For Dummies step-by-step, no thinking involved recipe that worked for me on my Mac with a PicKit 3:

1. Determine the current firmware version:
press and hold the rotary encoder, then press the DESTINATION button
2. Ensure that the firmware download’s folder names have no spaces.
3. Attach the PicKit 3 to the module with its white arrow on the opposite side of the the module's other headers’ negative-indicated pin.
4. Launch the application mplab_ide.
5. Do File>New Project.
6. Choose “Prebuilt.”
7. Browse to the firmware's .hex file.
8. Specify the device. The device specification is the long string of numbers and letters in the readme included in the firmware download. Until you do that, the software won't find your module. The readme should contain something like, "PROCESSOR TYPE FOR PICKIT: DSPIC33FJ128GP310A"
9. Click "Finish."
10. Press the button at the top of the UI that has a downward arrow and whose popup reads, "Make and Program device (Project <ProjectName>)"

Updating main PickleKit thread with your info. Gracias.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman  
Page 1 of 1